IGNORED

Our cast offs...

SecretSam

Meanwhile, our cast off managers are thriving in the Scottish and English Premier leagues...

I was listening to a podcast this morning that touched on Aberdeen... eight wins on the bounce for McInnes there so far this season, best start of any team in Europe! Clearly not as dreadful a manager as he seemed to be when he was here. 

We didn't cast Pulis off , the greedy bas***d left us for more dosh !

And let's be honest, we happily waved him off, and celebrated his exit.  He wasn't popular.

McInnes, I think, should have been given more time.  He inherited a mess, with confidence low, and didn't know the English leagues so well.  Given time and someone like Keith Burt to support his transfer dealings, he might have done OK.  Early on the transformation was incredible under him.

Skuse yes. 

Pitman maybe. 

But FFS can we please stop grouping Dean Gerken in with them. He was ******* useless (apart from the Forest game). I'd rather we signed a jar of gherkins. Honestly. People will be suggesting we signed that Romaine Sawyers next. Un-*******-believable. 

Skuse yes. 

Pitman maybe. 

But FFS can we please stop grouping Dean Gerken in with them. He was ******* useless (apart from the Forest game). I'd rather we signed a jar of gherkins. Honestly. People will be suggesting we signed that Romaine Sawyers next. Un-*******-believable. 

I'd actually say Skuse was the weakest of those three. But sometimes a fresh club and fresh approach can kick start (or certainly reinvigorate) a players career - as has happened with him. 

No hard Feelings towards any of them.

Skuse yes. 

Pitman maybe. 

You seem to have some sort of problem with Gerken, the truth is he was a decent keeper for us and has played regularly since for Ipswich, where, trust me, big Mick won't accept bluffers.

In the season we stayed up under McInnes he was immense at Forest and we'd have gone down if he hadn't replaced David James, plus under GJ he had an absolute stormer at Newcastle.

I certainly don't think that either of our current two keepers are necessarily any better than him.

Skuse yes. 

Pitman maybe. 

surely it was the Newcastle game wasnt it?

I'd actually say Skuse was the weakest of those three. But sometimes a fresh club and fresh approach can kick start (or certainly reinvigorate) a players career - as has happened with him. 

No hard Feelings towards any of them.

to say skuse was a weaker player than gerken or pitman is truly laughable!!

Well feel free to enlighten me as to what Skuse did that elevated him to the giddy heights above Pitman and Gerken, because it certainly wasn't A) scoring goals or b) stopping goals.

Pitman is a classy finisher, he scored many  important  goals for us and that can't ever be underestimated. Perhaps a bit like Jet, in that he would never be the sort of player to chase down every ball, he didn't forge a bond with the fans that his potential should've done. 

Gerken to this day is maligned for being Basso's successor when everyone was still in love with him and his mantra of belief. When you take the blinkers off you have to realise that whilst he may never be outstanding, Gerken is a relatively competent goalkeeper for the English second tier. On Gerkens ability, I'm afraid I trust the knowledge and thought of a professional manager, nay a professional manager who has managed numerous teams in the higher tiers of English football,  to pass judgement on a goalkeepers ability, rather than the usual forum keyboard warriors.

So we come to Skuse. Again a player with lots of potential but couldnt for whatever reason do it here. Tell me do any of you put him in the class of midfielders like Doherty, Elliott or Hartley? He didn't demonstrate consistently enough a range of passing that could control a game, nor did he display the physical presence to be a midfield stopper. So in that sense I'm afraid he very much WAS weak. 

HOWEVER, as I elaborated upon earlier it was never a question of him not being able to unlock or develop these qualities and further improve as a player - it just was never going to happen at AG. He has since added a more versatile range of passing to his game and is the go to player for the tractor boys to initiate the link between defence and attack. 

I think FGR did 9. About the same standard.

Watched much Scottish football 'live' chief? Or is this just another blinkered, 'follow the herd' view to gain a few chuckles?

Scotland qualified for five consecutive World Cups from 1974 to 1990 which England couldn't match, despite having more than five times the population of Scotland and thereby more players to choose from.

And do you remember when Rangers stuffed the very good Leeds team of 1992 over two legs in Europe? You know the Leeds team with the midfield of Batty, Speed, McAllister and Strachan who had just won the top division in England?

Anyway, fast forward to now, you really think Forest Green Rovers can hold their own in the Scottish Premier League?

If you have watched a lot of 'live' football in Scotland then I apologise, but, for a variety of reasons, I've watched games all over Scotland and you'd be surprised...

Watched much Scottish football 'live' chief? Or is this just another blinkered, 'follow the herd' view to gain a few chuckles?

Scotland qualified for five consecutive World Cups from 1974 to 1990 which England couldn't match, despite having more than five times the population of Scotland and thereby more players to choose from.

And do you remember when Rangers stuffed the very good Leeds team of 1992 over two legs in Europe? You know the Leeds team with the midfield of Batty, Speed, McAllister and Strachan who had just won the top division in England?

Anyway, fast forward to now, you really think Forest Green Rovers can hold their own in the Scottish Premier League?

If you have watched a lot of 'live' football in Scotland then I apologise, but, for a variety of reasons, I've watched games all over Scotland and you'd be surprised...

Celtic out of Champions league are they not or did I dream that. Scotland struggling to qualify for the Euros. I find it hard to recall the name of a single Scottish player that would get in the Wales team let alone England. Scotland is having a talentless period and their league poor. Hopefully they can turn it around as I miss the competition

Well feel free to enlighten me as to what Skuse did that elevated him to the giddy heights above Pitman and Gerken, because it certainly wasn't A) scoring goals or b) stopping goals.

Pitman is a classy finisher, he scored many  important  goals for us and that can't ever be underestimated. Perhaps a bit like Jet, in that he would never be the sort of player to chase down every ball, he didn't forge a bond with the fans that his potential should've done. 

Gerken to this day is maligned for being Basso's successor when everyone was still in love with him and his mantra of belief. When you take the blinkers off you have to realise that whilst he may never be outstanding, Gerken is a relatively competent goalkeeper for the English second tier. On Gerkens ability, I'm afraid I trust the knowledge and thought of a professional manager, nay a professional manager who has managed numerous teams in the higher tiers of English football,  to pass judgement on a goalkeepers ability, rather than the usual forum keyboard warriors.

So we come to Skuse. Again a player with lots of potential but couldnt for whatever reason do it here. Tell me do any of you put him in the class of midfielders like Doherty, Elliott or Hartley? He didn't demonstrate consistently enough a range of passing that could control a game, nor did he display the physical presence to be a midfield stopper. So in that sense I'm afraid he very much WAS weak. 

HOWEVER, as I elaborated upon earlier it was never a question of him not being able to unlock or develop these qualities and further improve as a player - it just was never going to happen at AG. He has since added a more versatile range of passing to his game and is the go to player for the tractor boys to initiate the link between defence and attack. 

To say skuse' couldn't for whatever reasons , do it here' is staggering. He had a spell where he was one of the first picks in the team. He wasn't in the team to score goals, he was in the team to be a defensive midfielder. Be the link between the back 4 and the midfield. He could pass well and tackle well. His consistency was one of his strengths. Always 7/10 minimum. Never sais gerkin and pitman weren't good players , they are. But cole skuse had a long career with us and I for one loved watching him play.

Bit of an outburst there "chief", and no chuckles from you I suspect.

Doesn't alter my opinion though and yes I do think these days top conference teams are on a par with lower SPL teams.

Archived