IGNORED

Our cast offs...

SecretSam

...but you were comparing Forest Green Rovers with Aberdeen, hardly a lower SPL team?

No, I was comparing the number of consecutive wins. Not FGR and Aberdeen, purely their achievement in their respective leagues, which taking out the bigger SPL teams is about conference standard IMO. But I guess we'll have to agree to differ on that.

The Skuse debate reminds me of how people see Carrick at United. He was an unsung hero at times in my opinion, especially in his last 2 seasons. Granted, he wasn't fancy or particularly entertaining. However, he was solid in the role he was given. I see him as a player that doesn't necessarily have a stand out attribute e.g tackling or creativity, but a player that gave us balance and was a solid all rounder. The fact he always gave 100% was a big factor to his importance in my opinion. 

I remember a running joke with my Grandad in his early years that we were convinced the match ball belonged to Skuse and he had to play for them to use it! But for me he definitely went on to become a decent championship player.

My view on Gerks was that he was an excellent shot-stopper. Just didn't seem to inspire confidence in the defence. TBF tho, was young for a first choice keeper and playing in a team on there way down.

Skuse is a difficult one, either rated by our fans or not. The truth I feel was somewhere in between. Was rarely outstanding but always around a 7 out of 10. Never excelled in any particular attributes, but a good all rounder.

Pitman is simply a goalscorer. All round game was lacking but worth his weight in gold for putting chances away. Scoring record was good considering the lack of starts he had. 

In short, all 3 are decent enough players if used in the right way in the right teams. Was probably a good move for them all.

Let's be honest, none of them were that good. For a so called 'brilliant defensive midfielder' Skuse was as guilty as anyone as letting absolute drivel walk through the midfield like it wasn't even there under McInnes. Rubén Rochina for Blackburn springs to mind, gutless defending.

At Ipswich Skuse is generally thought of very highly, but whenever they've hit a bad patch he's the one of the first players their fans want out of the team. Credit must go to Mick McCarthy who continuously gets average players to perform well above what is expected of them.

Let's be honest, none of them were that good. For a so called 'brilliant defensive midfielder' Skuse was as guilty as anyone as letting absolute drivel walk through the midfield like it wasn't even there under McInnes. Rubén Rochina for Blackburn springs to mind, gutless defending.

At Ipswich Skuse is generally thought of very highly, but whenever they've hit a bad patch he's the one of the first players their fans want out of the team. Credit must go to Mick McCarthy who continuously gets average players to perform well above what is expected of them.

remember that we are Bristol city not man Utd. We haven't had any world beaters playing for us. I would struggle to name a defensive midfielder who was better than skuse in the last 10/15 years, apart from my favourite ever player tommy Doherty.

Gerkin was/is a very decent goalkeeper. He did well for us.

Pitman was and still is a goalscorer but fails to contribute much else. At City he was apparently a disruptive influence and a complete whinger. B'muff let him go as soon as he they reached the PL. Howe obviously didn't think Pitman was good enough for the PL. He was right about that.

Skuse was seriously underrated by many City fans which reflects their shortsightedness. Now he's highly valued at Ipswich and was their player of the year last season just as he was at City. 

Archived