IGNORED

Celtic Chairman at it (again)

22A

"Celtic & Rangers will join English clubs in a British  league within a decade claims Dermot Desmond" says today's Metro.

He thinks changes in broadcasting will make it happen.

This is the man who stated previously "the money clubs must stick together" and "Celtic & Rangers must play in a stronger League so they can compete better in Europe".

I have some questions for you Dermot. If we let you in our League, who will you replace, Stoke, Watford or Bournemouth who've all got there on ability? Why should we give you foreigners a better chance in Europe? If it's a British league, which Ulster team will come in? As Rangers aren't in the SPL, why do they automatically enter your British league? Finally; if Celtic and or Rangers did compete and finished bottom who replaces them; the winners of the SPL, or a deserving English Championship team? Then again, perhaps you thing they should be exempt relegation?

The Emperor Hadrian knew what he was doing.

"Celtic & Rangers will join English clubs in a British  league within a decade claims Dermot Desmond" says today's Metro.

This is the man who stated previously "the money clubs must stick together" and "Celtic & Rangers must play in a stronger League so they can compete better in Europe".

I have some questions for you Dermot. If we let you in our League, who will you replace, Stoke, Watford or Bournemouth who've all got there on ability? Why should we give you foreigners a better chance in Europe? If it's a British league, which Ulster team will come in? As Rangers aren't in the SPL, why do they automatically enter your British league? Finally; if Celtic and or Rangers did compete and finished bottom who replaces them; the winners of the SPL, or a deserving English Championship team? Then again, perhaps you thing they should be exempt relegation?

Ian Bankier is Celtic chairman Dermot Desmond is major shareholder 

Celtic should join the League of Ireland to keep their fans happy. They would at least be flying the right flag with their tricolours and would play in a country of which their fans sing and show huge affiliation for.

We let the Welsh clubs in so why not Rangers? They are used to starting in the bottom div and working their way up and would guarantee huge away support, only the police would resent that.

We let the Welsh clubs in so why not Rangers? They are used to starting in the bottom div and working their way up and would guarantee huge away support, only the police would resent that.

when the Welsh clubs join the English league there was no Welsh league (iirc) so they were allowed inane have been here for years! 

Celtic and rangers are the one of the main reasons their league is shit their total dominance has made it such a pishwashed shitty league to watch that they now want to join a richer league without doing anything to earn it!

Wales and Scotland aren't really the same.  whether politically or socially.  Wales and England are tied much closer together: the England and Wales cricket board, the title "price of Wales" etc.  England and Wales have been a political union about 200 years longer than England and Scotland and lets not even mention the difference in referendum results or the fortunes of Plaid vs SNP.

Welsh teams welcome, Scottish and particularly Glaswegian, are not.  It's taken them 300 years and they still havent learnt to accept people who follow a different strand of the same religion, imagine how they will react when they come to multicultural places like Bradford, Leicester or Bristol.

It's a no from me. 

For a club that has a fanbase that doesn't associate itself with Britain, they seem pretty keen on joining a British league. Let them work from the very bottom of the non-league if they wish to join.

Rangers should have done it a few years ago.

I wonder if they could put a B team in the English lower tiers now and progress through the English leagues without giving up there Scottish league position then once in the Prem they give up there place in the Scottish league.

I dont like the idea of welsh teams being in the english leagues and getting special treatment from the welsh FA, I imagine it would be equally bad with a Scottish FA in the English leagues.

For a club that has a fanbase that doesn't associate itself with Britain, they seem pretty keen on joining a British league. Let them work from the very bottom of the non-league if they wish to join.

Rangers should have done it a few years ago.

Abso*******lutely

Imagine that lot coming down and unfurling their poppy banner at West Ham, for example. Carnage

I don't want Celtic, I don't want Rangers. Maybe they should distribute what wealth they have a little more evenly and allow Aberdeen, Dundee Utd, Hearts etc to improve and give them more of a game. That isn't up the to Premiership to do so

On another note, I hear rumblings of a PL2 again....think it was on Collymore & Saggers on Monday night (worth a listen now and then, despite what people may think of SC). Lovely idea of distributing the wealth more evenly among a two tiered Premiership and trying to make it more even. It won't happen, of course, but it was a lovely idea. City were mentioned as one of the teams who could benefit

Wales and Scotland aren't really the same.  whether politically or socially.  Wales and England are tied much closer together: the England and Wales cricket board, the title "price of Wales" etc.

But we have the Duke of Edinburgh.

(Admittedly that might not count though given the present encumbrant is a drunken ####) 

I have met Dermot and in all Carey fairness he's not a bad old mucker. Since he is well invested in Celtic he has a justifiable reason for trying to talk the subject up again. Likely it will fall on deaf ears but no harm in him trying. 

As for Rangers they will be there next season; i think you probably are fully aware of that virtual certainty. Your other points are very valid but that nitty gritty is a minor detail, he would say, to be ironed out during discussions. Likelihood of it happening in our lifetime? I'd say a solid 10%.

I look forward to Big Tone's condensed version. :)

On another note, I hear rumblings of a PL2 again....think it was on Collymore & Saggers on Monday night (worth a listen now and then, despite what people may think of SC). Lovely idea of distributing the wealth more evenly among a two tiered Premiership and trying to make it more even. It won't happen, of course, but it was a lovely idea. City were mentioned as one of the teams who could benefit

They got that one from me .. flipping plagiarists jumping on my refurbished as new bandwagon. ;)

Think the inevitable Scottish Independence will hopefully put this issue out of the way.  

You are absolutely right. Scotland wil go independant in less than 10 years I'm certain of that. So there is no way Scottish clubs will play in the English leauges. 

Wales and Scotland aren't really the same.  whether politically or socially.  Wales and England are tied much closer together: the England and Wales cricket board, the title "price of Wales" etc.  England and Wales have been a political union about 200 years longer than England and Scotland and lets not even mention the difference in referendum results or the fortunes of Plaid vs SNP.
Welsh teams welcome, Scottish and particularly Glaswegian, are not.  It's taken them 300 years and they still havent learnt to accept people who follow a different strand of the same religion, imagine how they will react when they come to multicultural places like Bradford, Leicester or Bristol.

It's a no from me. 

Your right .   1535 the laws of wales act was passed and Wales became part of England, the history between England and Wales is very different to that of Scotland.

Can't see it happening.

Would much rather see Celtic staying in Scotland, but conversely of course I want them being the best they can be, which could potentially be as big as almost any side in England if they had the same financial muscle.

That said, England don't need Celtic or Rangers and I can't see that changing. The EPL especially has polluted football and the bigger sides from smaller leagues will need to do something to compete at some stage. Still think a European League is more likely.

Still think a European League is more likely.

I remember a few years back the Glasgow pair, having realised the SPL only has two teams in it, suggested the same is true of Holland, Belgium and Portugal. They tried to form their own league, but UEFA prevented it. Similarly a club in the Football League wanted to play home games in Dublin, but that was quashed, so hopefully a non starter for this latest move.

The big issue is that there are some fantastic, well supported, historically successful big clubs like Celtic, Rangers, Ajax, PSV Eindhoven, Anderlecht, Rapid Vienna etc etc who are in small countries with tiny TV deals who find it extremely hard to compete with English Championship clubs in terms of signings never mind Premiership teams. I would imagine there will come a time when there will be regional European leagues (not that I support that). If there was to be a British league it must be down to playing merit. It should not be Celtic and Rangers only because they are big and Aberdeen,  Hearts, Hibs, Dundee, Dundee United etc do one because you are not huge clubs. Promotion and relegation into a top tier British set up would have to be maintained.

Archived