IGNORED

Ched Evans Appeal

Vincent Vega

After studying the case and reading lots of different things, I truly believe he is innocent and I hope once it is overturned (if so) I hope every single person who slated him apologises. Especially Jessica Ennis who went so far down in my estimation for her part in not allowing him to join Sheff u

After studying the case and reading lots of different things, I truly believe he is innocent and I hope once it is overturned (if so) I hope every single person who slated him apologises. Especially Jessica Ennis who went so far down in my estimation for her part in not allowing him to join Sheff u

I am not sure if they do need to apologise.. he is currently officially a rapist, so to not want to be part of a club that would employ him is fair enough. I think if the appeal is successful the woman in question needs to face criminal charges.

P.S. After reading the notes, I too believe he is innocent.

I am not sure if they do need to apologise.. he is currently officially a rapist, so to not want to be part of a club that would employ him is fair enough. I think if the appeal is successful the woman in question needs to face criminal charges.

P.S. After reading the notes, I too believe he is innocent.

Maybe you're right but I was just disappointed with the way everybody slated him and stopped him from trying to rebuild his life. I also believe he is very much innocent and I'm glad he hasn't apologised because if he doesn't think he is wrong he shouldn't.

If this is overturned then good, having read his site many times, it all stank a bit for me, hope he is able to get on with his career afterwards and if he is truly innocent then he deserves some very humble apologies. 

'Truly innocent' is an interesting concept in this case.  The issue for the Appeals Court to decide is whether his conviction for rape is safe or not.  However, I have difficulty concluding that any footballer who has sex with a drunken woman while in a stable relationship with someone else can be regarded as 'truly innocent'.  If the Appeals Court overturns his conviction then he is a very lucky young man.  He may then be not guilty of the offence with which he was charged, but 'truly innocent'?  Sorry, not in my book.  Footballers and the like who think they can exert control over other people through their status and their wealth need to take a look at their behaviour, if you ask me. 

'Truly innocent' is an interesting concept in this case.  The issue for the Appeals Court to decide is whether his conviction for rape is safe or not.  However, I have difficulty concluding that any footballer who has sex with a drunken woman while in a stable relationship with someone else can be regarded as 'truly innocent'.  If the Appeals Court overturns his conviction then he is a very lucky young man.  He may then be not guilty of the offence with which he was charged, but 'truly innocent'?  Sorry, not in my book.  Footballers and the like who think they can exert control over other people through their status and their wealth need to take a look at their behaviour, if you ask me. 

That's a question of morality, not criminal culpability. If he is truly innocent of rape then I think him very unfortunate to have been labelled as such.

Good. He's so innocent its madness. 

Are you serious chaps?

Which piece of evidence makes him innocent beyond doubt? I have not seen any that's for sure.

Firstly there is a long way to go before his conviction is or is not quashed and secondly and far more importantly your anger is firmly pointed in the wrong direction, if this 'new information' was not presented to the jury in the original trial then your anger should be turned upon his original defence team, who didn't do a very good job in the first place in either investigating and uncovering this 'new information' or if in possession of it not presenting it, probably the reason that he has new counsel.

We'll see what happens.  Rape is a notoriously difficult crime to prove.  I have no idea whether he's guilty or innocent.  In truth, two people will ever know and at least one of those doesn't remember.  But, certainly, I think the burden of proof being beyond reasonable doubt means that it's very possible an appeals court will decide there's not sufficient reasonable doubt for him to be found guilty.  But, even if he is cleared, that doesn't prove innocence but proves insufficient proof of guilt which is an important but subtle difference.

If the conviction is overturned - and let's not pre-empt that until it happens - then clearly he should be allowed to rebuild his life in the manner of anyone who has not been convicted of a criminal offence.  But that won't change the fact that Jessica Ennis, and the others involved, were perfectly right to say it would have sent out a terrible image for football for a convicted rapist who had not shown remorse to be automatically re-employed by their club the moment they were released.

innocent or guilty it wasn't Jessica Ennis who sent him to prison its called the British justice system. Democracy we should be proud of. How much we all read about it in the papers and articles the people on the jury would have had their reasons for sending him down. For me personally this case raises the issues of alcohol etc and consent. Lets see justice run its course in the appeal courts and await the outcome only then Is it appropriate to comment really.

In the eyes of the law, at the moment he's a convicted rapist. So no, he's not innocent just yet.    He's already taken this to the court of appeal once and failed.

Even if he's aquitted, he's hardly an angel with regards to what happened that night anyway. I think even if aquitted he might find it very hard to get another football club in this country to employ him..

I think even if aquitted he might find it very hard to get another football club in this country to employ him..

Which would actually be pretty unfair, if we're being honest.

Whilst his conduct that night was certainly not in tune with my own moral values, IF he is cleared and thus, ultimately, not a convicted criminal, should someone's moral values be brought into question in determining whether he should be able to gain employment in his profession?

There are a great deal of other examples of very successful and highly paid footballers whose morals are clearly not in tune with the average Joe (I'm thinking Wayne Rooney, John Terry et al) , but it doesn't hinder their ability to earn a living doing what they do.

That's a question of morality, not criminal culpability.

Exactly.  My contribution was really about emphasis, as I think there is a huge difference in some cases between 'not guilty' and 'truly innocent'.  Of course it is important that the law is right as to his guilt in this case, but the notion of 'truly innocent' seems to me to imply that he has no moral culpability.

Which would actually be pretty unfair, if we're being honest.

Whilst his conduct that night was certainly not in tune with my own moral values, IF he is cleared and thus, ultimately, not a convicted criminal, should someone's moral values be brought into question in determining whether he should be able to gain employment in his profession?

There are a great deal of other examples of very successful and highly paid footballers whose morals are clearly not in tune with the average Joe (I'm thinking Wayne Rooney, John Terry et al) , but it doesn't hinder their ability to earn a living doing what they do.

Oh I'm not saying it wouldn't be unfair, but I think that's what will happen. I guess with such a high profile and priveledged job though, these things may well happen.

This debate is going to rage on till the appeal and if his conviction is upheld it'll probably rage on a bit longer after that.

Oh I'm not saying it wouldn't be unfair, but I think that's what will happen. I guess with such a high profile and priveledged job though, these things may well happen.

This debate is going to rage on till the appeal and if his conviction is upheld it'll probably rage on a bit longer after that.

Yep, no doubt about that. Certainly no one coming out of it with any credit, regardless of the ultimate outcome.

Regardless of anything, she had still drunk too much to be able to consent

Here we go again  :facepalm:

Yes and no. That is pretty established now in law, and the jury decided that she was to drunk to consent, and therefore he was guilty of rape. The basis of the appeal can only be new evidence that challenges this basic assumption, which if known by the jury at the time would have led them to a different decision. At least, that is what the Court of Appeal must now decide. 

I did not want a convicted rapist within a million miles of the club. Equally, if his conviction is over turned I need to be humble enough to accept it is then a different equation.

There is nothing that changes the law here. Sex with somebody whilst they are not in a position to give consent is, and remains rape.

I am also disappointed to read some claiming that if this is appeal is successful, the woman should face prosecution. She has never cried rape, simply that she could not remember what happened. Since then she has been vilified and chased from pillar to post. If anyone is undoubtedly 100% innocent of anything, right now it is her. That should also be respected, whatever the final outcome.

Yes and no. That is pretty established now in law, and the jury decided that she was to drunk to consent, and therefore he was guilty of rape. The basis of the appeal can only be new evidence that challenges this basic assumption, which if known by the jury at the time would have led them to a different decision. At least, that is what the Court of Appeal must now decide. 

I did not want a convicted rapist within a million miles of the club. Equally, if his conviction is over turned I need to be humble enough to accept it is then a different equation.

There is nothing that changes the law here. Sex with somebody whilst they are not in a position to give consent is, and remains rape.

I am also disappointed to read some claiming that if this is appeal is successful, the woman should face prosecution. She has never cried rape, simply that she could not remember what happened. Since then she has been vilified and chased from pillar to post. If anyone is undoubtedly 100% innocent of anything, right now it is her. That should also be respected, whatever the final outcome.

Re your last paragraph: I think it rather depends what this "new evidence"  is.

Since we don't know,  we aren't in a position to really comment.

On anything.  

Re your last paragraph: I think it rather depends what this "new evidence"  is.

Since we don't know,  we aren't in a position to really comment.

On anything.  

I agree, hence why I used 'right now', but your conclusion is most likely the right one, right now.

As things stand he is a rapist and I wouldn't want him anywhere near my club.

If new evidence comes to light and he is found innocent on appeal then there should be no reason for anybody to not want to employ him because of his history (obviously people might just think he isn't a good enough player!).

Well, if he is found to be innocent how will the many on here who condemned him react?!

So many people believe rumour and digest tabloid speculation - he got loads of abuse and condemnation on here from people who just chose the bandwagon approach.

I've read lots of documents about this case and I'm not surprised he's been allowed to appeal.

It's not a clear and obvious case. When someone (allegedly because I didn't see them) posts on Facebook and Twitter that they've 'stitched up a couple of footballers' and 'how should they spend the inevitable pay off?' then alarm bells will ring.

Anyway, I'm not a legal expert, but there is obviously more to this if it's gone to the Court of Appeal.

Whatever happens, I'll never understand why young, rich footballers get into these situations and naively leave themselves open to getting involved in horrible cases like this one. 

As things stand he is a rapist and I wouldn't want him anywhere near my club.

If new evidence comes to light and he is found innocent on appeal then there should be no reason for anybody to not want to employ him because of his history (obviously people might just think he isn't a good enough player!).

There is no chance he will be 'found innocent'. The guilty verdict might be overturned, but even if that happens the stigma of this and his behaviour will stay with him forever. Only if the alleged victim is found to have stitched him up and found guilty herself will Evans be totally exonerated in the public eye. 

Archived