IGNORED

Conservative Party Conference

BCFC Jimmer

Really. It's an utter farce and always has been.

But what was once a bastion of "checks and balances" and a critical part of the democratic process to Cameron and other Conservatives is now "anti-democratic" and "unrepresentative". 

Hahaha. Well you spurned the chance of reforming it, ham-basher!!!

Of course, he'd have faced this defeat in the Commons if the Tories who spoke against the tax credit cut had the balls to actually vote against it.

it must have changed in the past 3 months surely?, Peter Hain 3 months ago wrote an article about how he wouldn't take a seat in the Lord's but 6 weeks ago he did.

I agree, but that wasn't an election promise, it was a promise made to a coalition partner in order to form a government. And it's still not a reason for them to not be held to account over it. I'm not particularly comfortable with The Lords blocking legislation from The Commons, but I'm all for a ruling party being held to account for the lies they told to get elected. And David Cameron told a bare-faced lie on national television about tax credits

and then they didn't need a coalition, so what?.

There has been a lot of bare faced lies on national television in the past 20 years by serving prime ministers and usually a little more serious than tax credits.

As my reply to RR above, MP = massive *****, they are in the main a bag of shite and mostly a self serving bag of shite, but as an electorate we constantly allow them to get away with it and will continue to do so, you as they say get the government you deserve and will continue to do so, the only time that there will be any change is when politicians are actually held to account and not by voting them out, that these days is no punishment at all.

it must have changed in the past 3 months surely?, Peter Hain 3 months ago wrote an article about how he wouldn't take a seat in the Lord's but 6 weeks ago he did.

The Lords do you mean, Es? 

Cameron created 45 new Tory peers last month (including "Lady Bra" and some bloke who is under investigation by HMRC and the American IRS) despite having said when in opposition that the Lords was too big. Now his party are on about creating 100 new Tory peers to ensure their ill-thought-through legislation doesn't get a rough ride in future.

The Lords do you mean, Es? 

Cameron created 45 new Tory peers last month (including "Lady Bra" and some bloke who is under investigation by HMRC and the American IRS) despite having said when in opposition that the Lords was too big. Now his party are on about creating 100 new Tory peers to ensure their ill-thought-through legislation doesn't get a rough ride in future.

The problem is you think I give a **** what the tories do or are doing and I don't, my point is they are all in the main as bad as each other whatever rosette they wear, but come on that was some about turn, I remember when I read the article thinking 'yeah right', why do they say that shit?, how can you believe a word any of them actually say.

The problem is you think I give a **** what the tories do or are doing and I don't, my point is they are all in the main as bad as each other whatever rosette they wear, but come on that was some about turn, I remember when I read the article thinking 'yeah right', why do they say that shit?, how can you believe a word any of them actually say.

While I imagine J Corbyn welcomed the Lords' votes last night, I imagine his position still remains "get rid of them". I think he's pretty consistent - and is probably as amazed he's been voted leader of the opposition, as the rest of us are. Politics is the art of compromise of course, and it remains to be seen whether he'll make enough to satisfy his parliamentary party's right or whether he personally will baulk at some of the things he'll have to front.

While I imagine J Corbyn welcomed the Lords' votes last night, I imagine his position still remains "get rid of them". I think he's pretty consistent - and is probably as amazed he's been voted leader of the opposition, as the rest of us are. Politics is the art of compromise of course, and it remains to be seen whether he'll make enough to satisfy his parliamentary party's right or whether he personally will baulk at some of the things he'll have to front.

it's certainly interesting times, his biggest problem so far is he only has the dregs of the parliamentary party to pick on for his front bench and back up team, old lags, people with well chequered pasts and people who said some very inflammatory things in the past and then invent back stories to explain those quotes and expect people to swallow it.

Aren't labour prepared to back cuts to tax credits, as long as they are thought through and fully explained by an independent party. If so they are basically stalling and have the same policy but know its not popular so are trying to delay it.

Thing I'm confused with is before 1997 and tax credits etc. how did people get by. Has the tax credit system made wages lower for companies know can pay peanuts for government will make up the shortfall.

Why not increase minimum wage to a level that covers losses of tax credits so no one is worse off. Would that create huge unemployment for businesses won't pay the higher wage.

Interested to know people's ideas about best way to do this.

Archived