IGNORED

Must Win

RedYoshi

I've just remembered that Saturday's game was, according to many, "must win".

We're doomed, then. Clearly.

And the harbinger was Daniel Powell.

Seriously, though, in regards to the "must win" argument, can those people explain how things have now changed?

Nothing's changed because we drew and had an abject 2nd half.  More questions of the manager, tactics, player quality etc.

Was a must win though and you're asking the wrong question, the correct question would be

'what if we'd have won?'

Nothing's changed

On board with that.

Was a must win though and you're asking the wrong question, the correct question would be

'what if we'd have won?'

Hmm, see what you did there... People, feel free to answer that question too.

I guess the intimation of "must win", though, is that prior to the game there's a sense of hope/belief that a win will cause something - i.e. "we must win in order to [...]".

Thus, now that we haven't won, what can we now not achieve?

And those who believed a win was vital to survival, have you now lost all hope?

Nothing's changed because we drew and had an abject 2nd half.  More questions of the manager, tactics, player quality etc.

'what if we'd have won?'

We were two minutes from winning, which may have partially papered over the cracks of our collective perspective.  The hapless display nearly yielded us three points!  

I still though can not get my head around Fielding treating the pitch like a giant, random pinball machine or utilising the tactic to launch it to a clapped out old Wilbraham, inviting more traffic our way than the M6 for 45 minutes.  It defies belief!

Re the op, "must win" is a lazy figure of speech.  England Rugby were in a 'must win' situation, they are of course doomed.

On board with that.

Hmm, see what you did there... People, feel free to answer that question too.

I guess the intimation of "must win", though, is that prior to the game there's a sense of hope/belief that a win will cause something - i.e. "we must win in order to [...]".

Thus, now that we haven't won, what can we now not achieve?

And those who believed a win was vital to survival, have you now lost all hope?

Beat one of our relegation rivals, give a little confidence on the terraces and in the boardroom.  A chance to give a 90 minute performance against a poor team and show that we can win at home.

Apart from that I don't suppose it matters a bit.

The Last 6 games "form guide" says it may be a bit premature to suggest that anytime soon we have a "must win" game however more

interestingly we have yet to play 5 of those teams in the bottom 11, after those games i think we will have a better picture of the league and the trend.

14Rotherham621389-17
15Nottm Forest621367-17
16Huddersfield621379-27
17Leeds Utd621359-47
18Bolton6132811-36
19Ipswich Town6123713-65
20Brentford6114511-64
21Bristol City6033712-53
22Charlton6024612-62
23Preston6024511-62
24Milton Keynes6015412-81

'Must Win' is something that coaches with no understanding of Mental skills (football in general is miles behind other sports in this field) try to instill in their players,  'to get them up for the game'. As a Mental Performance coach its a phrase I hear quite often. The thought of the 'win' and imagining e.g coming off the pitch as 'winning' or say a runner rehearsing 'winning' the race only has a very limited effect. Thinking about the 'Win' in a sportsman quite often has a negative effect and may instill a fear of failure,so the opposite of what they want to achieve. You hear in other sports 'process not outcome' e.g  golfers, tennis players can be very good at staying in the moment.

So on Saturday we were very much outcome focused, went 1-0 and as soon as we didn't convert the other chances we became more and more cautious, trying not  to lose rather playing our game. Mental skills are only part of the equation of course, fitness and technical ability also come in to it. 

So last season, Cotts could get away with the we are 'winners' talk because in that league our technical ability and arguably are fitness were much better that the opposition. He may come unstuck this year, with technical ability and fitness at a higher level quite often then in sport its the team/player with the better mental skills that come through, we shall see!

There's never a "must win" game with the season with less than a quarter gone. With three quarters gone then maybe it would be.

It's a daft statement to make. 

I disagree. The early games are important to get points on the board and gain confidence.

We only get to play teams like MK Dons twice a season, we should be beating them when we can. Not making games against a lot harder opposition must win due to lack of time and league position. 

Isn't every game a must win, no matter what position in the league you are? 

Quite. And to adjust what RumRed said slightly:

Beat one of our [relegation] rivals, give a little confidence on the terraces and in the boardroom.  A chance to give a 90 minute performance against a [poor] team and show that we can win at home.

Can be applied to anyone, at any time. Sure, it might be considered "easier" and therefore "more important" to beat a team that may be struggling against relegation, I get that, but by not winning it doesn't automatically mean we won't beat the teams who will be pushing for promotion. Win our next three home games and suddenly that last minute equaliser won't matter a jot. Football (and sport in general) isn't a scientific process which follows certain patterns and outcomes indefinitely.

Sure, @Super, we didn't play Middlesbrough at home, but I think the point that was being made was that a win away at Middlesbrough would be considered far less likely than a win at home against MK Dons, and yet it happened.

Turn those results around (Hamer didn't pull off one of his saves against Boro and we drew 1-1, while holding out for the win on Saturday) and is everything suddenly ok?

we'll do well to get anything out of next 5 games so mk dons shuda been seen as win at all costs

Aside from not being clear on what "all costs" might entail when it comes to playing a football match, now that we haven't won what does it mean? We have no chance of doing anything other than...what?

My thought after the game was if we can't beat MK at home who can we beat? Especially considering how poor they were first half.

Specifically at home, we can beat:

• Nottingham Forest
  • Fulham
  • Wolves
  • Hull
  • Blackburn
  • QPR
  • Charlton
  • Preston
  • Middlesbrough
  • Birmingham
  • Ipswich
  • Brighton
  • Cardiff
  • Bolton
  • Rotherham
  • Sheffield Wednesday
  • Derby
  • Huddersfield

In that specific order, plus anyone we may draw in the cup.

;)

Why get bogged down in semantics?  'Must win' is just used as shorthand for 'a really important game failing to win which will raise all sorts of questions as to our ability to survive in this division'.  It was pretty much a must win game if we were to have any real confidence of achieving anything other than survival this season, and if we are relegated at the end of the season with MK Dons one point ahead of us in 20th place, then it will certainly have been a must win game!

Why get bogged down in semantics?  'Must win' is just used as shorthand for 'a really important game failing to win which will raise all sorts of questions as to our ability to survive in this division'.  It was pretty much a must win game if we were to have any real confidence of achieving anything other than survival this season, and if we are relegated at the end of the season with MK Dons one point ahead of us in 20th place, then it will certainly have been a must win game!

So even if we beat Forest that won't help our confidence in achieving anything other than survival? Beating MK last Saturday was our only chance to do that? 

Come on, it's not just semantics its a valid point about the over dramatisation by fans which often has a negative effect by creating too much pressure in a situation. 

Admittedly our confidence is low at the moment and a win against MK would have helped that, but we can build confidence from any point and move forwards. To say that we now have no chance of building confidence is fundamentally not true. 

I have given this a great deal of thought especially as our probs are at home and have come to the conclusion that Cotts and the team miss the security of having the Williams stand in situ. All there is now is a blo**y great gap !! Not so bad when East end was down as we were either kicking away or towards.........there is only one answer, we must get the contractors to build an artificial Williams stand in front of the new construction, with lifelike supporters on the set as well, ( I was in Upper D Williams so dont picture me anywhere else) Our players are like babies in the womb, they need security, and an artificial Williams will change their fortunes, believe me. I know these type of things :yawn:

I have given this a great deal of thought especially as our probs are at home and have come to the conclusion that Cotts and the team miss the security of having the Williams stand in situ. All there is now is a blo**y great gap !! Not so bad when East end was down as we were either kicking away or towards.........there is only one answer, we must get the contractors to build an artificial Williams stand in front of the new construction, with lifelike supporters on the set as well, ( I was in Upper D Williams so dont picture me anywhere else) Our players are like babies in the womb, they need security, and an artificial Williams will change their fortunes, believe me. I know these type of things :yawn:

Just like Arsenal did at the North Bank.

Archived