IGNORED

Simon Cox

HoldenBall

Alanis Morrisette wouldn't miss the glaring irony here. A lot of comments about this guy's recent goal scoring record, similar comments aimed at the bloke who he's presumably replacing (Wilbraham)... And in my opinion Wilbs was one of this club's most astute permanent signings. 

Cotts' transfer record here when it comes to strikers is damn near perfect. I'm not saying I have particularly high or unreasonable expectations but I am excited to see what he can do for Cox and vice versa. 

- beat me to it Spudski :shutup:

Two words. Tyrone. Barnett

Only on this ******* website would anyone tell you Aden Flint is a more talented footballer than Luke Freeman.

It's comparing apples and oranges though.  It could very easily be argued (this season especially given LF's less than auspicious start) that Aden Flint is a better player in his position than Luke Freeman is in his, if that makes sense.

Clearly if you're looking in terms of flair and creativity then clearly Freeman is the better player of the two, however I would argue that at the level we are finding ourselves, to date Kodjia, Smith, and Bobby Reid are showing themselves to be better players.

Remember when Matt Smith joined...no one rated his goal scoring potential or when Wilbs joined.

Hope the lad bangs em in for us ;-)

Not sure about that. Smith had just scored 12 the season before in the Championship for Leeds as a 6'6 target man. Everyone was delighted when we got him on loan, it was only after a couple of poor games that the 'Matt Smith is Awful' threads started banging about. Which obviously didn't last long :)

Decent option to have but is he any better than Agard? Hasn't done anything for years and arguably past his best?

i can however understand the signing As he has played regularly at this level, perhaps not a typical goalscorer so will be interesting to see how he gets on.

Yes thanks, how many have you seen?

I didn't say that he was the only one who's performances that weren't up too standard did I? I said there is a chance based on those performances he could be dropped.

I agree he is a quality player and agree he will come good again, missing the best part of 4 games has really effected him. He is not currently playing to the standard he was at last season which is the disappointment. LF will be a great championship player but we need him back to form asap as we are a different team when he is running the show! 

This won't be liked by many but I'm of a different opinion on Freeman.

I feel that he is an excellent League One player however at Championship level I think he will struggle.

Last season he had 20 assist I believe, now that is a fantastic achievement let's not doubt that however it helps when you are a set piece taker to have a 15 goal centre half, 21 goal 6foot+ striker and another 15 goal 6foot 5 striker.

I raised the same point last year that Luke Freeman doesn't have many assists in open play. Dead ball he is very good however I think at this level with less time on the ball and against better teams he is finding it very hard to be as creative as he was last year.

I'm not slating him before people say that, I'm raising an opinion, I hope I'm wrong but I'm yet to see anything that changes my mind.

Whoever said it's a case of Clarke not rating Cox makes a fair point, he clearly doesn't. Cox hasn't become a bad player over night but his career is built on one terrific season for Swindon several years ago. He's now competing at Reading with much better players playing a fluid style that he can't contribute to. 

i hope the move does help him refind his form, it will obviously benefit us if he comes back in January having scored a few goals but even then I can't see him being part of Clarke's plans. If he does well for you we'll let him move on. Presumably £9 million would be what you'd offer :-)

Fielding

Ayling    Flint  Baker   Williams

Elliott  Smith   Freeman   Bryan

Cox       Kodjia 

Subs Pack, Hamer, Wilbs, Agard, Little, Reid, El Abd

Any good?

El Abd has gone out on loan so need another body on the bench. Waggy?

This team can also be changed into our normal formation with Bennett at wing back, and Bryan CM.

Cox has struck me as one of those who raises his game when trying to impress, but doesn't necessarily work hard when not in need of a contract, etc. Suits us down to the ground then. I think he's a good signing and looking forward to seeing him want to make a statement against his old club next week

Perfect loan signing.  Get him keen to impress up to January when we sign someone else.  We get the best out of him for a limited period at minimal expense before signing who we want long term.

El Abd has gone out on loan so need another body on the bench. Waggy?

This team can also be changed into our normal formation with Bennett at wing back, and Bryan CM.

Thanks  Selred, I had forgotten El Abd had left. I was looking for another defender tbh to cover center half. Thinking about it, Williams could move over, drop JB back and bring Waggy into midfield.

Only on this ******* website would anyone tell you Aden Flint is a more talented footballer than Luke Freeman.

A football team like any other business consists of people with a variety of skills. Aden Flint does his job in the team just as effectively as any other even though he is seen by some as less skilful than for example Luke Freeman.

But that does not mean his contribution is any less valued than other players. Just different.

Looking forward to see cox play, hopefully works out for him and us! It's a striker with championship experience who gives us a different option to what we already have. I also think its a player who improves our squad. He will be up for first game against forest being his old club.

Sorry but I don't see Cox as a good signing - at under 6 foot, for me, he's too similar a player to our young codger? I'd much rather have a much taller target type to replace Wilb's with?

One of our main problems when clearing out of defence is we have nobody capable of holding a ball up and for me, Cox isn't the sort of player who can assist Codger, unless we are going to play total football on the ground that is :) 

Sorry but I don't see Cox as a good signing - at under 6 foot, for me, he's too similar a player to our young codger? I'd much rather have a much taller target type to replace Wilb's with?

One of our main problems when clearing out of defence is we have nobody capable of holding a ball up and for me, Cox isn't the sort of player who can assist Codger, unless we are going to play total football on the ground that is :) 

Is that the forwards fault or the defence/keeper?  Clearing the defence isn't just booting it to the opposition, pick a pass.

If you have seen Codger before he joined us, he played very successfully as the 'target man' you're alluding to. Personally don't feel you need that type of player and Wilbs certainly doesn't hold it up well so we're not really losing anything

Have you seen the team's performances?

yeah and they've not been shocking, we've always been "in" games which I'm happy enough about.

everyone has an opinion on the unknown, and rightly so, but don't be that Rolls Royce, Matt Smith is Shite bloke - it will only bite you in the ass.

and before anyone calls me a hypocrite I learned my lesson from Aaron Wilbraham not to judge til I'd seen him play a fair few games - and he mugged me right off

I don't see the relevance of height to your argument here.....Kodjia is 6'2" (ish)....but that doesn't make him a target man either!

I've seen Cox play a few times and he always struck me as the industrious type.  He nay not be an out and out goal scorer, but we need someone who can stretch opposition defences in behind or in channels to give the likes of Kodjia (our main goal threat) and Freeman space to ply their trade.

Freeman is playing a little like he did when Jet and Smith were upfront.  There was no one running in behind, Jet came short, closing up the space for Freeman.  Kodjia has shown in France and in his ten games here that he can run in behind (with his pace), but I think he prefers to run at them.

That is why I though Agard might be a good foil for Kodjia.  He still might!  But I expect think SC thinks Cox may be the better player.

Roll on 7 days time.

We might be able to get back to playing it out of defence and building an attack rather than just getting rid at all costs.

that would be great, I thought one of our strengths last season and why we cruised the league.  Team seems too jittery for that and I think we all know about Frankie's "distribution"

Archived