IGNORED

Simon Cox

HoldenBall

I really appreciate what Wilbs provided last season and feel he has a role to play this season too. However, it's the one area not really messed around with so far and if for whatever reason Cotts is unwilling to risk Agard or chuck Burns in at the deep end then hopefully Cox will provide that extra movement I think we are lacking up front and also chip in with taking the chances we have been missing. We can't really say it's Wilbs missing those chances when it's actually been other players not taking them, but I think the point is Wilbs just isn't there to take them at the moment anyway. I think Wilbs should be brought on for if we are in a lump it and hope situation. Kodjia is almost having to do too much at the moment.

Whoever said it's a case of Clarke not rating Cox makes a fair point, he clearly doesn't. Cox hasn't become a bad player over night but his career is built on one terrific season for Swindon several years ago. He's now competing at Reading with much better players playing a fluid style that he can't contribute to. 

i hope the move does help him refind his form, it will obviously benefit us if he comes back in January having scored a few goals but even then I can't see him being part of Clarke's plans. If he does well for you we'll let him move on. Presumably £9 million would be what you'd offer :-)

I think £9m is the going rate for a fee, as long as he's happy with £500 a week and a signing on fee of 20p

Were bottom of the championship, and we've just signed a striker who has bags of experience, an international, and was not so long ago considered one of the danger men of the championship, people aren't happy? What do you expect Sergio aguero? He's not getting in the Reading team because frankly, they have fluid premier league standard strikers! Along with Bennett he improves our first team and gives us options. Good signing imo

It's comparing apples and oranges though.  It could very easily be argued (this season especially given LF's less than auspicious start) that Aden Flint is a better player in his position than Luke Freeman is in his, if that makes sense.

Clearly if you're looking in terms of flair and creativity then clearly Freeman is the better player of the two, however I would argue that at the level we are finding ourselves, to date Kodjia, Smith, and Bobby Reid are showing themselves to be better players.

It could be, but we have been conceding goals for fun, and as the leader of the defence, Flint must take some responsibility for that

Isn't there a rule about how many loan players you can have in the first team at one time? Aren't we up to six now including Hamer?

As said above Rob, 5 in the squad but up to 8.

I'd expect us to stop at having 6 though, because there is no point in bringing in any more now just to leave other loans out.

Until Liam Moore is fit this isn't an issue but when he is either Robinson or Hamer seem the likeliest to miss out to me.

The former because presumably Cox, Wilbraham, Agard and even Burns are ahead of him in the queue as a striker (I also don't think he's an attacking midfielder anyway) as for Hamer, if Fielding is fit and remains first choice, the likelihood of needing to use your sub goalie is so slight that young O'Leary could fill that role if you needed all the other five.

Final point, after the international break we will have 4 games in 16 days, it is highly likely all six of them will be available for all of them anyway.

I would be surprised if that was the case on both parts. I wouldn't drop Freeman, probably the most talent player in our squad! Granted he's been off the place the last couple games but so have everybody else.

Also Korey Smith should be back.

Agree with you although for me it's definitely not probably. 

Archived