IGNORED

The 1909 FA cup final shirt

T R

Okay it is not our unlucky shirt. It is one worn by man utd on that fateful day, I noticed it was up for sell tonight. I wondered if any of you could give me your loose change so I could buy it...

http://www.grahambuddauctions.co.uk/bidcat/detail.asp?SaleRef=GB29&LotRef=762

A762.jpg

Have a look through the categories and you might find something you can afford. I suppose with things like this only overpaid players can afford to buy. 

We played in blue for the final didn't we? 

Should have worn the purple and lime - might have changed footballing history and we would now have 19 league titles and plastic fans worldwide!

I'd rather have a genuine match day shirt. As to the shirt i linked tonight it mentions in the description that it is the only known surviving shirt of this game. I thought man utd already had one in their museum so this would make it 2 surviving shirts. Are there any original surviving bristol city shirts lurking in peoples attics somewhere i wonder...

I was looking at the programme of the game and I cannot work out the formation, is it 5 upfront?

3613776465_78b4630db1.jpg

This is man utds victory perade, the horse punchers would be envious of this...

united-nostalgia0116032282.jpg

5 upfront for both teams and it was still only 1-0!

Strange you think that, I used to play in the 50's 60's and 70's and we always played 5 up front, I was a right winger and would have felt very lonely if I had nobody in the middle to pass to. I wore a number 7 shirt which in those days was a dead giveaway you were a right winger. We rarely had a low score match but it did happen. We didnt need coaching, special food, psyccologists ( or however you spell it ) or the rest of the ensemble, we just played naturally just like we did with our Subbuteo games at home !!!

I always wondered if I dreamt this, what with modern day formations but ... left wing, inside left, centre forward, inside right, right wing was once a standard forward line in the late 60's and early 70's when I started out.

I normally occupied one of those forward positions or played in goal ...  can always remember screaming where's our defence... reflecting on that formation I can understand why. Ah, the carefree days of yoof. 

Okay it is not our unlucky shirt. It is one worn by man utd on that fateful day, I noticed it was up for sell tonight. I wondered if any of you could give me your loose change so I could buy it...

http://www.grahambuddauctions.co.uk/bidcat/detail.asp?SaleRef=GB29&LotRef=762

A762.jpg

Have a look through the categories and you might find something you can afford. I suppose with things like this only overpaid players can afford to buy. 

please don't buy it, we don't need any more Man Utd shirts being worn around Bristol.

2-3-5 isn't too far removed from our current formation. As I understand it, the two wide men had much license to get forward, whilst the central player in the midfield acts as a sweeper to protect the back 2. 

So we would probably be 2-0 down inside 20 minutes with it!

the amazing thing though was there was still 11 a side ! no matter how you played you were always being marked by their left back if as I was you were a right winger.........modern day football concentrates more on using the midfield more whereas when I played I was knackered after 90 minutes after running the wing up and down all match ( and we didnt have subs then !!) the main job in midfield then was distributing to the wingers and of course watching the opposition attack, the only thing that has changed is the £££££££££££££'s in the game and b*****y agents:ill:

From the hazed memory of an old duffer, this was the ONLY formation in my youth.  

Outside Left           Inside Left        Centre Forward        Inside Right         Outside Right

Left Half                            Centre Half                               Right Half

Left Back                                         Right Back

Fat Bloke

When managing in the United Counties League about 7 years back, my lot were 2-0 down at home half time.  I spent all 15 minutes on the drawing boards explaining this formation to the clueless lads and that's how we lined up for for the restart.  By the time we'd gone 3-2 up (about 65 minutes)  their old bloke manager came across to my dugout, sat next to me and said "I know what you've done there, but without a whiteboard I can't do anything to defend against it.  These 'kids' have never seen the old way".

After he walked away, I went over to his dugout and sat with him just talking about the old days, we didn't bother much about the game!  Result?  4-2.

Never used again though         

From the hazed memory of an old duffer, this was the ONLY formation in my youth.  

Outside Left/usually small, pale and ginger           Inside Left/best looking        Centre Forward/tallest and biggest        Inside Right/best player         Outside Right/ nippy bugger

Left Half /only left footed player                           Centre Half/thinks he's the best player in the team                               Right Half/managers son

Left Back /worst player                                        Right Back/oldest bloke

Fat Bloke/ getting fatter each season

When managing in the United Counties League about 7 years back, my lot were 2-0 down at home half time.  I spent all 15 minutes on the drawing boards explaining this formation to the clueless lads and that's how we lined up for for the restart.  By the time we'd gone 3-2 up (about 65 minutes)  their old bloke manager came across to my dugout, sat next to me and said "I know what you've done there, but without a whiteboard I can't do anything to defend against it.  These 'kids' have never seen the old way".

After he walked away, I went over to his dugout and sat with him just talking about the old days, we didn't bother much about the game!  Result?  4-2.

Never used again though         

;-)

Outside Left           Inside Left        Centre Forward        Inside Right         Outside Right

Left Half                            Centre Half                               Right Half

Left Back                                         Right Back

Fat Bloke

Never used again though         

Oh so very very cheeky of you to use Fat Bloke in goal. 

1909%20FA%20Cup%20Final%20prior%20to%20KO%20lge.jpg

One thing I noticed in this photograph. The referee and his assistant are both reading the match day programme while the game has just kicked off.

Also shed mans great granddad has had a few friends around.

Can you believe the attendance for this games was 71,000 !! I'd love to have seen the other two sides of the ground - they must have been rammed !!

Oh so very very cheeky of you to use Fat Bloke in goal. 

Sorry Hav, I should have clarified that this was the case ONLY in every team I was involved with!  Please also note the 'standard' Cotswold haircut of the time!

CHARFIELD AFC YOUTH circa 1974

Charfield.thumb.png.b4a82d327c52adf0976e

Sorry Hav, I should have clarified that this was the case ONLY in every team I was involved with!  Please also note the 'standard' Cotswold haircut of the time!

CHARFIELD AFC YOUTH circa 1974

Charfield.thumb.png.b4a82d327c52adf0976e

Further to my bit about turning my team out in the 'old' formation, after finding ourselves 2-0 down at half time 

I had a conversation with one of the lads, about 20 years old, maybe 10 minutes into the second half................

Player:  "So what am I, Boss......... a defender or an attacking wing back??"

Me:  "Neither, son.  You're the effin' Right Half"

Probably seems obvious to those of us of a certain vintage.  Jeez though, just looking at the team photo, you can see when the Bay City Rollers came to town!!

Archived