IGNORED

The Official Brighton & Hove Albion v Champions Match Day Thread

This league is about small margins...taking your chances when you can....and making the right decisions at the right time.

We are not being outplayed by anyone. But SC is going to have his work cut out keeping spirits high.

He needs to make the right decisions...I firmly believe the players are doing their best....but not being helped by his indecision in certain circumstances.

Worth noting how tight this league is and how small the margins are....Team in 10th place QPR have conceded the same amount of goals as us, but scored only 4 more....

Those 4 more have contributed to the 6 more points than us....like I said....small margins.

• Like 1

This league is about small margins...taking your chances when you can....and making the right decisions at the right time.

We are not being outplayed by anyone. But SC is going to have his work cut out keeping spirits high.

He needs to make the right decisions...I firmly believe the players are doing their best....but not being helped by his indecision in certain circumstances.

Worth noting how tight this league is and how small the margins are....Team in 10th place QPR have conceded the same amount of goals as us, but scored only 4 more....

Those 4 more have contributed to the 6 more points than us....like I said....small margins.

Hi - Brighton fan here - totally agree. We haven't won a game by more than a goal this season. We're not exactly dominating sides from whistle to whistle (one exception, Cardiff, we drew with!) and I think most people would say the likes of Middlesbrough and Derby have more individual quality than us but we just seem to keep nicking the results so far this season. There's a lot of experience and leaders in our side, perhaps that's a factor in the fine margins so far, or perhaps we'll soon start ending up on the wrong side of it and everything going wrong!

Little consolation I guess but thought City were decent. Well organised and worked hard for each other. Kodjia was very good, Freeman seemed to be everywhere too. Wouldn't expect you to be battling relegation based on that game. 

• Like 1

Loving all the positivity about our performances, but 46 'We lost, but at least we did enough to win on a better day' performances aren't going to save us from relegation. As it stands we are safe and there is a long way to go, but we have to start performing now while the gap between us and further up the table is small, otherwise we'll find it increasingly difficult to maintain morale.

COYR!

We're 21st and only out of the relegation zone on GD, have won 2 in 13 and have already conceded 22 goals. I don't care what it sounds like, we aren't showing we have what it takes at all.

2 in 12.. minor detail but it is a detail nonetheless me babber. ;)

The Brighton fans on their forum are full of praise for us as a team and think Codgers the best striker they've seen this season by a country mile.... Better side according to most of their fans..

Just need to string 3-4 result together and we'll be fine!!

Good to hear but of course as you and others say its a results business.

Having an after game look on their forums. They really don't like our team, or club. One person called us tinpot, pretty sure they need to look at their own club for that. And they certainly rated Kodjia, some said he's the best ST they have seen in ages, as well as Freeman and his work rate.

They should read my OP for a reminder on who is more tinpot than the other then. They are a 4 season top flight club and have spent well over half of their history in the lowest two divisions. Just because they have a 30k new stadium they think they are the dogs bollox all of a sudden. Still, good luck to the club as long as they take no more points from us this season and thrash the team in 6th on the final day and let us into the play offs.

If i'm honest Kodjia is probably better than JET, if he'd have been in our team last season he'd have scored 30+. Obviously JET wasn't happy here and wanted to move back to London, don't think it was solely SC's decision but you need to move on. 
Frustrating yes, just need to keep faith with the Manager and Players,  they got us up here in style in the best season ever they will improve i'm sure and for once we have a side in this League who genuinely cares and puts everything in for this club. Patience.

Dare i say JET. Is  more clinical ?

Hi - Brighton fan here - totally agree. We haven't won a game by more than a goal this season. We're not exactly dominating sides from whistle to whistle (one exception, Cardiff, we drew with!) and I think most people would say the likes of Middlesbrough and Derby have more individual quality than us but we just seem to keep nicking the results so far this season. There's a lot of experience and leaders in our side, perhaps that's a factor in the fine margins so far, or perhaps we'll soon start ending up on the wrong side of it and everything going wrong!

Little consolation I guess but thought City were decent. Well organised and worked hard for each other. Kodjia was very good, Freeman seemed to be everywhere too. Wouldn't expect you to be battling relegation based on that game. 

Our country thanks your country . Top city Istanbul .

Bollicks..

...pair of bollicks!!!

(Hmm, agent Baldock goes rogue on us ... & that ex-Gas upstart showed no respect whatsoever, dammit cant rely on anyone or anything nowadays ;) )

....yet another point or two goes astray for us, story of season so far, once again sounds like we deserved something ... Coulda, Woulda, Shoulda ... OK we  ran aground on the Brighton rocks but tide is turning we're still afloat looking good, ship shape and Bristol fashion, we'll be riding on the crest of waves again soon enough.. We've got an honest and decent crew, can handle rough waters we just need our share of fair winds now.

Pardon my French, but fup, fup, fup and fup again.

Double fup.

Triple fup.

Fup it all anyway.

French? pardon you....

Fair Usage Policy? ... (OK admit I'm a saddo who googled it-bet I'm not the only one though?  :) ) .... So MR why fup? (as a fuq I thought I'd ask) 

Fuq it  supose I'd better explain, .. FUQ = frequent user question (apparently) 

(is there a fair usage policy on the use of frequent user questions? .. just asking before I fuq off :) )

...pair of bollicks!!!

(Hmm, agent Baldock goes rogue on us ... & that ex-Gas upstart showed no respect whatsoever, dammit cant rely on anyone or anything nowadays ;) )

....yet another point or two goes astray for us, story of season so far, once again sounds like we deserved something ... Coulda, Woulda, Shoulda ... OK we  ran aground on the Brighton rocks but tide is turning we're still afloat looking good, ship shape and Bristol fashion, we'll be riding on the crest of waves again soon enough.. We've got an honest and decent crew, can handle rough waters we just need our share of fair winds now.

Seems like the ship we are on is the Titanic .

Every team we've faced this season is reminiscent of the Golden Fleece .

What do we have to do for a Victory and to avoid all the Cutty Sark comments from the opposition ? 

I don't see how you can't be disappointed. Regardless of the opposition, we've had leads in our last 4 matches and won only 1 of them. It's the same problems every week. We don't take our chances and opposing teams do. The subs are always too little too late. We can't defend and play with the ball too much. Everyone sees the problems and they don't get fixed. 

Of course tonight was tough but we done ourselves no favors by losing leads in about half our matches this season. Beat MK Dons and Ipswich and this is an easier loss but we don't take care of our points and we lose them. 

Never a truer word said and a lot of us older fans have seen this before, if we had capitalised on, Ipswich, MK and Brighton we would be 7th/8th now but we didnt and we only have ourselves to blame, MK and Forest, we dominated and then just sat back and let them play us in our own half and we have given them the points on a plate(not Forest I would hasten to add). We cant take too long to realise what we are doing and Cotts must drill this into the players. We are a pretty handy side but even though I have become a 'Dolmanite' temporarily this season I have seen the lack of concentration that slips into our play later in the game. Sort this out and we will finish mid-table, no problem.

Edited by oldstandrobin
  • Like 1

Jesus I feel depressed just reading this, you really are glass half empty!  In the last 4 games we have gained 5 points out of 12, that's about 41% of points available, we keep that form going for the rest of the season we will get well over 50 points and be safe, keep the faith as Bon Jovi said!

I am definitely not sir you need to look through all my posts the previous 15 hours. 

I thought we played well last night, stonewall penalty IMHO..

Game changer for me was after Brighton drew level and we started to control the match more, in about the 75 minute, Houghton changed formation. He brought Zamora on and pushed Buldock wide changing to a 4-5-1, this allowed Brighton to re control midfield and it was game over from that point and when Cotts went 3-4-3 long ball we looked all at sea.

Good performance and although we lost, shut a lot of my Brighton mates up who all had good things to say about us.

Cracking match of football though..

• Like 1

Never a truer word said and a lot of us older fans have seen this before, if we had capitalised on, Ipswich, MK and Brighton we would be 7th/8th now but we didnt and we only have ourselves to blame, MK and Forest, we dominated and then just sat back and let them play us in our own half and we have given them the points on a plate(not Forest I would hasten to add). We cant take too long to realise what we are doing and Cotts must drill this into the players. We are a pretty handy side but even though I have become a 'Dolmanite' temporarily this season I have seen the lack of concentration that slips into our play later in the game. Sort this out and we will finish mid-table, no problem.

Exactky. I still hope Cotts was right and after 15 or so games we get it together. Though, he also said what gets you ahead keeps you ahead. Then he took off an attacker in Bennett for a CB. That's not playing the same football is it? So it's been a season of contradictions for me. Need to actually play the full 90 like we did at Boro and we will be more than fine. I still think 10-14th is realistic for us but the results need to start happening now. 

• Like 1

......... between what and what?

Being a team struggling near the bottom to a team more capable of getting results.

Anyone can see we need more experience and quality in our team. Someone like Zamora to come on or compete with Wilbs, and likewise in midfield.

Two older heads...in those positions would certainly enhance our young team and help them when the going gets tough.

Being a team struggling near the bottom to a team more capable of getting results.

Anyone can see we need more experience and quality in our team. Someone like Zamora to come on or compete with Wilbs, and likewise in midfield.

Two older heads...in those positions would certainly enhance our young team and help them when the going gets tough.

Anyone can see this except Cotterill, presumably. Why hasn't he just gone and picked a Bobby Zamora off of the Bobby Zamora tree?

Anyone can see this except Cotterill, presumably. Why hasn't he just gone and picked a Bobby Zamora off of the Bobby Zamora tree?

The mind boggles as to the Clubs recruitment policy this season...Zamora and others like him were available.

For whatever reasons, the Club haven't brought in that experience needed.

We went for 8 million pound strikers, when a couple of older heads on short contracts in midfield and up front really could have helped our lads.

Other teams have done it....so why not us?

Some of our loans and our failure to recruit wisely this summer does make me question SC.

The mind boggles as to the Clubs recruitment policy this season...Zamora and others like him were available.

For whatever reasons, the Club haven't brought in that experience needed.

We went for 8 million pound strikers, when a couple of older heads on short contracts in midfield and up front really could have helped our lads.

Other teams have done it....so why not us?

Some of our loans and our failure to recruit wisely this summer does make me question SC.

SC recruited the current joint 5th highest scorer in the division.

Three times more goals than Zamora in fact.