IGNORED

Most Successful Club Outside 'Big Four'

ExiledAjax

So, according to the Football League Bristol City are, over the past 30 years, 5th in a virtual table of all league clubs over that period.  BCFC has managed an impressive 2,006 points in that period, an average of 66.87 per year.  We're behind only Man Utd, Arsenal, Chelsea and Liverpool.

I'm not sure what reward we get for this...any ideas?

http://www.football-league.co.uk/news/article/2015/the-football-league-goes-back-to-the-future-2756415.aspx

This is in honour of 'Back to the Future' day, which you may or may not celebrate.

But it's based on the total number of points, we seem to have played more games than anyone else near the top (eg 200 more than Chelsea), probably since we've been in L1 quite a bit and lots of play-off matches! Shows how stats can easily be twisted!

Probably due to the fact that those clubs that have been permanently in the Premier League since its inception have played only 38 league matches each season since then.  We (and most other teams) on the other hand have always had 46 match seasons.  Thus gaining 8 matches every season, given that this is the 22nd(?) Premier League season that gives a net gain of 176 matches.

This is fascinating, but hardly surprising.  Since 1985 we have finished in the following positions:

So in 30 seasons we have only finished in the bottom half of the table 8 times, and from 1996 through to 2010 we were only out of the top ten once.

Its particularly interesting to see Aston Villa down at 72nd position, with West Ham and Sunderland only just above them.  Given that Villa have been in the top division consistently since 1985, it begs the question would you prefer to watch a top division team that struggles year after year; or would you prefer a team like us that may be playing in lower divisions, but is consistently winning matches.  Personally, I'd rather have the latter.

This is fascinating, but hardly surprising.  Since 1985 we have finished in the following positions:

So in 30 seasons we have only finished in the bottom half of the table 8 times, and from 1996 through to 2010 we were only out of the top ten once.

Its particularly interesting to see Aston Villa down at 72nd position, with West Ham and Sunderland only just above them.  Given that Villa have been in the top division consistently since 1985, it begs the question would you prefer to watch a top division team that struggles year after year; or would you prefer a team like us that may be playing in lower divisions, but is consistently winning matches.  Personally, I'd rather have the latter.

Careful what you wish for .

Apart from last season, we've never consistently won matches

So, according to the Football League Bristol City are, over the past 30 years, 5th in a virtual table of all league clubs over that period.  BCFC has managed an impressive 2,006 points in that period, an average of 66.87 per year.  We're behind only Man Utd, Arsenal, Chelsea and Liverpool.

I'm not sure what reward we get for this...any ideas?

http://www.football-league.co.uk/news/article/2015/the-football-league-goes-back-to-the-future-2756415.aspx

This is in honour of 'Back to the Future' day, which you may or may not celebrate.

I'm going to celebrate it yesterday...

Doesn't this prove we are a "sleeping giant".

I doubt it....that term has been thrown around by the BP for years....and it has somehow stuck.

All the criteria of a 'Sleeping Giant' we have never been...or likely to be.

Interesting views quoted here....to which I agree.

Quote...

So who are the sleeping giants of English football? First up we have to define what a sleeping giant is. For starters the term suggests the club is currently out of sorts and is not reaching heights it once did. They’re no longer playing at the pinnacle of English football, in the top flight, instead floundering in the Championship or lower. Next up the club must have an illustrious history and this has got to mean it has something in the trophy cabinet. We’re not talking about a few divisional trophies or minor cups here. For a club to be considered a sleeping giant I would say it’s got to have some major domestic honours and the only two really worth winning are the league title and the FA Cup. Indeed a sleeping giant must have won both these honours at some point in their history. So for the first part of our analysis we will only look at clubs that are currently outside the Premiership and who have won both the English top flight title and the FA Cup. Here they are ranked by the number of trophies won .. Nottingham Forest - 9 Sheffield Wednesday - 8 Leeds United - 7 Sheffield United - 5 Huddersfield Town - 4 Portsmouth - 4 Preston North End - 4 Burnley - 3 Derby County - 3 Ipswich Town - 3 So on the basis of past glories are these ten clubs the sleeping giants of English football. They’ve all won the league title and the FA Cup. Well we can add an extra level of definition to find just who are the true sleeping giants of the game in England. We’ve already determined that a club must have some major honours under it’s belt but what about crowds and attendances. Ask anyone what constitutes a big club and they’ll always mention those that get the highest crowds. So it’s fair to have a think about pulling power when considering which clubs are sleeping giants. Only twenty-eight English clubs have ever attracted crowds over fifty thousand. Of the ten clubs above only six have ever attracted crowds in excess of fifty thousand .. Sheffield Wednesday Leeds United Sheffield United Huddersfield Town Portsmouth Burnley What about consistency when it comes to attracting large numbers through the turnstiles? Which of the six clubs above are amongst the top twenty supported clubs when ranked on historical average attendance? We are left with .. Sheffield Wednesday Leeds United Sheffield United So then these three Yorkshire clubs by the definitions we have used are the sleeping giants of the English game. All are outside the Premiership, all feature amongst the twenty most succesful clubs in English football and all three are historically amongst the top twenty supported clubs in the land. Now why don’t we have a look to see just how long it is since each of these three clubs has won anything. So when ranked by years since winning either the league title or the FA cup we are left with .. Sheffield United - FA Cup in 1925 Sheffield Wednesday - FA Cup in 1935 Leeds United - League title in 1992 There we have it then the Blades are positively catatonic going eighty-five years since winning anything of note. The Owls are comatose with seventy-five years since bagging one of the big two trophies though they did win the League Cup in 1991. Whilst Leeds have been snoozing for quite some time now. Just how much longer will they all remain in slumber? - See more at: http://footysphere.com/post/857841932/sleeping-giants-english-football#sthash.xENIKFKP.dpuf

Apart from last season, we've never consistently won matches

The stats in this thread seem to suggest different. A lot of people talk about consistency as some kind of magical win almost every week thing that only a handful of clubs in the world can manage at any particular time, and we were one of them last season. We have been consistent as in being a top half team for the vast majority of seasons. We just haven't quite excelled enough in individual seasons in terms of getting promotions and winning play offs etc.

I heard something on the radio the other day where they were talking about Coventry and how they've finished in the bottom half of their division for something like 12 years now. How's that for frustration year on year!

The "not being in the Premier League at all so playing less games" thing is a fair point though - we have played more games than anyone else in the top 19.

Overall it's a pretty meaningless stat but I did enjoy seeing us so highly up there. Makes you realise that it's not all bad following the City. I'd much rather be 5th in this list than joint 68th!

The stats in this thread seem to suggest different. A lot of people talk about consistency as some kind of magical win almost every week thing that only a handful of clubs in the world can manage at any particular time, and we were one of them last season. We have been consistent as in being a top half team for the vast majority of seasons. We just haven't quite excelled enough in individual seasons in terms of getting promotions and winning play offs etc.

I heard something on the radio the other day where they were talking about Coventry and how they've finished in the bottom half of their division for something like 12 years now. How's that for frustration year on year!

The "not being in the Premier League at all so playing less games" thing is a fair point though - we have played more games than anyone else in the top 19.

Overall it's a pretty meaningless stat but I did enjoy seeing us so highly up there. Makes you realise that it's not all bad following the City. I'd much rather be 5th in this list than joint 68th!

Also, bear in mind that these stats have no kind of weighting for quality.  A hypothetical team that finished fourth in League two every season for the past thirty years but never won the play-offs, were never promoted, never relegated but consistently got 80 odd points a season would be very high up this table (80 x 30 = 2,400)...despite being what many might call 'really bad at football'.

Archived