IGNORED

Homophobia in football

RumRed

A few years back I went on to a webpage about a disability (can't remember what it was now) and on this page was a joke section with lots of jokes about disability's. I remember a few of the jokes but won't repeat them as I'm positive somebody will get offended by them but I was quite surprised at A) Finding those jokes on there and B) at how strong they were. I read through the page and established that the point they were trying to make was that just because they were disabled it doesn't mean that they don't have a sense of humour, that  they can't laugh at themselves like lots of other people laugh at themselves and that they are just like most other people who enjoy comedy. I was really impressed and it certainly made me think which I guess was their intention.

The point I'm making is jokes can be made about Race, gender, sexuality, stereotypes, looks, body shape, nationality,religion, Wurzels etc etc and it's neither given or received in an offensive way.

It's often not what's said that's offensive it's the manor and intent that it's said in. 

What agenda? It's an observation of what we are like as a nation, a large majority of the public are racist/ homophobic I am afraid, nothing new in that, but the civil thing to do is not make comment about race or sexuality. If I was to prefer a white family move next door as opposed to Asian, I am racist, if I condemn a gay person, I am homophobic, to say or do nothing than I am tolerant. To condemn Brighton folk en mass and to make jokes as Big Tone did is  pathetic.

But hey ho it's a footie forum and as such we can all have a laugh , cus we are footie fans and decency and intelligence is not required.

Odd innit?

...but you call it 'pathetic' that someone condemned 'Brighton folk en mass (sic)' after announcing that 'a large majority of the public are racist/homophobic' - how do you know this? And what do you call a 'large majority'?

Apologies if I have missed some figures or research posted on here to support this declaration but it's a pretty bold statement to make...

Phil, to answer some of your questions, and to give you hopefully a better understanding of how the majority of the gay community ticks.

As a man in my forties, when i first understood that I was gay at about 10 years old the only other people I knew were gay from the TV was Larry Grayson, John inman and Kenneth Williams. As the 70's moved to the 80's more celebs came out, but pretty much all conformed to the sterotypes, Boy George, Freddie Mercury, Elton John etc. It was no wonder people percieved us as camp effeminate, and unusual which led to the mocking, and misunderstanding which kept me and many more firmly in the closet. Even my father was heard to say 'them queers and gayboys' which of course made it even harder for me. (once I did come out he apologized and said he was happy with whatever I did, as long as I happy, and eventually when he met my partner, my dad loved him like a son)

To protect ourselves the gay community sought to dis-empower the hatred by adopting and using the more 'colourful' ways to describe a gay person. San Francisco gay guys adopted the word gay in the late sixties as an acronym 'G.A.Y - Good As You'.

There used to be a magazine called 'Bent' for example, and of course the TV show 'Queer as folk'. I don't know any gay people who are offended by humour based mickey taking, you will see Big Tone and I on this thread have had a bit of banter. It is only when it turns to physical attack or words used to abuse do we (and most straight people these days) take umbrage.

I applaud this thread have enjoyed reading and contributing, but honestly hand on heart there are lots of mountains out of mole hills here, it seems the straight guys and gals here and more offended by 'homophobia in football' than at least this gay man is!

I agree, that the thought of gay men not being able to come out in football is wrong but we are changing, we are more tolerant. Gareth Thomas coming out as gay was not the flood gate opening moment it should have been, but I am sure it is only a matter of time before one or more do. To suggest that all professional football players across 4 divisions and into the conference are straight is frankly, a joke.

In the mean time bring on Brighton at home, I fancy a nice loud rendition of 'We can see you holding hands'

Right I'm off to put on my pink hotpants, grab some lipstick and put on some Abba tunes (only joking)

The thing to also remember is that while gl1 may not mind the jokes or a group singsong of "We can see you holding hands", a lot of people in the gay community may not like it  Unless you know the person quite well, it is probably best to err on the side of caution when it comes to cracking jokes about their sexuality.

I like Faggots especially with chips and mushy peas

I just like Faggots.....

The thing to also remember is that while gl1 may not mind the jokes or a group singsong of "We can see you holding hands" a lot of people in the gay community may not like it

Well I dont know anyone in my community who would be remotely upset by this, and in my opinion is P Correctness gone mad. If the chant was to offend gay people, there are far much worse than this, and I dont think the singers are trying to attack gay people, they are just having a laugh!

As an aside I remember much more 'gayness' happening at the gate, grown men hugging and getting very excited over goals against Rovers, the play off games against Hartlepool and Palace.

Considering I'm in the chatroom during every away game, I'd love to know when this happened, as it hasn't happened when I've been in there, and can't actually see it myself.  If it did then you should have reported it via the usual channels.

It was during a home game but thank you for your reply.  I messaged one of the guys but he didn't reply to me and it stopped after that, its no problem and don't wish any fuss hence the non report..

What pi$$ed me off Tuesday were the comments regarding the Brighton fans, the endless cheap jibes on here in relation to male intercourse if you will. How backward is that? Of course we area tolerant  society, but the few morons that taint this picture with such poor 'jokes' leaves me to think they are still clinging on to a time gone by Carry On  Whatever ... Spud paints a picture that it doesn't exist, we are non racist, non homophobic, let's laugh at each other society, that 'toke' celeb gays mince and with their double entendre everything is fine 'cus look they can laugh at themselves too!!!  

Well I bet it's NOT for thousands who struggle with their sexuality colour or whatever, Britain is racist, and still very intolerant of a lot of groups that don't fill the white straight genre. 

you think Britain is intolerant???...you wouldn't have to travel too far to gain the flavour of intolerance..jump on a plane to the Baltic states...

Archived