IGNORED

Where were you when this happened?

Jasper Testimitanu

I was there, it was ******* cold.

Not been back since though, the bottles of piss and coins were bad enough but avoiding the half bricks and having to literally fight my way back to a mates' car are not what I go to football for.

Wonder how many of their thugs got arrested, convicted and banned by the Heddlu?

Not been back since though, the bottles of piss and coins were bad enough but avoiding the half bricks and having to literally fight my way back to a mates' car are not what I go to football for.

Wonder how many of their thugs got arrested, convicted and banned by the Heddlu?

True! 

It really makes you think how far football has come! 

That one game in particular I wouldn't dream of taking the Mrs or Kids for that matter. At least it's got to the point where it's relatively contained however this has been to the detriment to the atmosphere.

Not much would beat that day for me! 

In the past I've done loads of away trips watching City, from the highs of Liverpool to the lows of, well too many to mention, but I've never been to Cardiff old or new ground. Somehow I've managed to not be able to in the past and now I just don't want to.

It does seem weird though with them being so close and i go shopping there all the time and been to the MillStad on quite a few occasions, yet it's a club I'm not bothered about visiting. Sadly I missed the Murray game, hopefully the next Murray moment will come along soon, but I don't think the feeling and rivalry back then is the same now, whatever the bubble makers think.

I was there. Didn't Hammam come over to the away end at half-time pleading for calm?!

I remember them waiting in the car park (the site of their new stadium) after the game.

I think I'm right in saying this was the week before their FA Cup game with Leeds when they were at it again.

One of the best away days ever !

Seeing the faces of those little shits directly in front of us when our 3rd goal went in was priceless !

Had an ongoing project at Cardiff Bus, just down the road at the time. Got some hot drinks and biscuits from the staff there, for myself and a couple of mates after the game, while watching the complete carnage going on outside.

I was only 7/8 Dad wouldn't take me to watch us vs Cardiff but remember being 1-0 down whilst flicking on teletext then 5 minutes later 3-1 to go top of the League.
They were mad season after aswell when we did the double 2-0's Tinman's penalties but unfortunately Wilson's side couldn't hack the pressure of the play offs.
I guess the Cardiff fans were chucking bottles at us as that what we were back then under Wilson.

I used to go to away games regularly back then but had to miss that one for some sort of family get-together. I regret missing it now but felt relieved at the time once I'd heard about some of the incidents related above. I listened to the commentary in the car and clearly remember the feeling of euphoria (and nearly swerving off the road) when those goals went in. 

It was Leeds the following week for them in the cup where they completely lost their shit.

There is a theme appearing here - piss thrown at us brick, bottles and coins yet loved it.

How can this atmosphere be created without the danger or people getting out of control? IMO it cant.

It was Leeds the following week for them in the cup where they completely lost their shit.

There is a theme appearing here - piss thrown at us brick, bottles and coins yet loved it.

How can this atmosphere be created without the danger or people getting out of control? IMO it cant.

it's a double-sided coin (pardon the pun) There's nothing like a fantastic, loud and feisty atmosphere. But some of that aggression/atmosphere comes from the side of the club(s) that like a bit of argy-bargy and a bit of trouble. Take away many of these fans and you don't quite get the same atmosphere. 

it's a double-sided coin (pardon the pun) There's nothing like a fantastic, loud and feisty atmosphere. But some of that aggression/atmosphere comes from the side of the club(s) that like a bit of argy-bargy and a bit of trouble. Take away many of these fans and you don't quite get the same atmosphere. 

your right,ninian park was a shithole but a proper ground for atmosphere,nothing better then scraping down the side streets on the way to the ground in them days, now it's just youth smashing pubs up is a result

I was there as well!

NP was the most hostile and aggressive stadium I've ever been to and Murrays antics after scoring were brilliant at winding the boyo's up, especially as they lost 3-1 I think.

Bogs with no roof, netting between the home and away fans. Netting so crap that the Cardiff boyo's were throwing coins and bottles of piss over or through it.

The local old bill were trying to avoid problems between the fans but sided with the home fans and that made the experience at NP even more thrilling...

I used to love going over there.....

Yeah was there too. 

Horrible, nasty atmosphere.

Loved every minute of it.

You took the words out of my mouth, that was a football day out as it was meant to be.

As for the game, I can remember feeling like I had run a marathon after our third went in ( all that celebrating!) I'm sure all 3 goals were scored in about a 10 minute period.

Probably not many as our trip that day was documented on a BBC program called Hooligans (Focusing on Cardiff). Their stewards basically allowed them to do what they wanted without fear of reprisal.

Was there that day as well, it was insane and couldnt wait to get out of there...

Archived