IGNORED

Aaron Wilbraham - OPTA (On-field perfomance tested (by) Alessandro) Statistics

Alessandro

You heard what happened to the statistician who tried to cross a river that had an average depth of 1 meter? He drowned. :yawn:

Rovers average position in the league, the season they were relegated to the Conference, was probably about 15th. This didn't help at all. Nothing to do with Wilbraham, but interesting. 

I can see why he's picked.

What I can't see is why he is not subbed when his legs have gone. It's not because he is a liability, but he stops us defending from the front. It is little coincidence that we are under pressure in the second half of many games, and have conceded many late goals, because Kodjia cant pressure defenders all by himself once Wilbs is unable to do so. This gives them the ability to play the ball out of defence, rather than hitting long balls.

Seems to me that Cotts is frightened to sub him for fear of what we lose when he's not on the pitch. Perhaps he might try subbing him to see what we might gain by someone else being on the pitch.

I agree with you on the sub bit, he clearly deserves to start though.

don't think that's right to be honest,I always have been 50/50 on pack and fielding,and pack was good tonight and fielding had nowt to do apart from come flapping for a cross he never needed to,doesn't mean I had it in for them,because you sat next to 1 bloke who who didn't like Phillips doesn't mean everybody likes that

That's true it doesn't, but being in a World where I can constantly see people's opinions about certain players and how patterns develop in their comments about those players I am absolutely positive it's right. You may not fall into that category as I don't but I believe AG is full of them

25 minutes ago, streety_bcfc said:

Still think Kodjia can't play the Wilbs role now? Even Agard did better and he is a foot shorter! 

For the record, the only reason I did this thread to try and offer a different view to the 'moaners' on here. Not to promote Wilbraham. But having read the forum last night and today, I realise it's pointless. It's got nothing to do with a player, some people will just moan. It's hard wired into them. With Wilbs out the team, people just found another person to moan about e.g Freeman. Pointless trying to reason with it. It was happening even before half time with us 1 up. 

Anyway, I didn't see last night's game so I cannot comment. Were you there? 

I still stand by my opinion though that neither Kodjia (or Agard) are 'target men'. Playing either as that will not utilise them to their best. I want Kodjia hanging off the shoulder of the last defender, not with his back to goal, so not quite sure what you're chatting on about. But that's not to say I think we should play Wilbs either, but it has to be a different style of play. That is to say with the ball on the ground, and that is the way I prefer to see City play, if we can. Don't know how Agard played, saw a few shots from the highlights. 

The radio suggested we had some good spells of possession in the game, but it also sounded like we had spells where we couldn't make the ball stick either and were out of the game.

1 hour ago, Alessandro said:

For the record, the only reason I did this thread to try and offer a different view to the 'moaners' on here. Not to promote Wilbraham. But having read the forum last night and today, I realise it's pointless. It's got nothing to do with a player, some people will just moan. It's hard wired into them. With Wilbs out the team, people just found another person to moan about e.g Freeman. Pointless trying to reason with it. It was happening even before half time with us 1 up. 

I still stand by my opinion though that neither Kodjia (or Agard) are 'target men'. Playing either as that will not utilise them to their best. I want Kodjia hanging off the shoulder of the last defender, not with his back to goal, so not quite sure what you're chatting on about. But that's not to say I think we should play Wilbs either, but it has to be a different style of play. That is to say with the ball on the ground, and that is the way I prefer to see City play, if we can. Don't know how Agard played, saw a few shots from the highlights. 

The radio suggested we had some good spells of possession in the game, but it also sounded like we had spells where we couldn't make the ball stick either and were out of the game.

Yep, I was there as always. 

Granted they may not be the 'traditional' target men, but yesterday when balls were played into feet and in there air to them more often than not they held the ball up well and played the ball off to Freeman. (who yes didn't play great and sometime caused moves to breakdown as he made the wrong decision, but came back well in the 2nd half) They also defended from the front closing down players and making them hurry. They were just more effective not only in the offence but also in the 'defensive striker' role.

1 hour ago, Super said:

What rubbish. Yes they chased more down than WIlbs which you would expect!

Not rubbish. More effective, better options down the channels & in the air, better ball control, more pace, tackling back, more battling. 

2 hours ago, Alessandro said:

You mean in the 2 minutes of 1st half stoppage time then ?

30 minutes ago, Alessandro said:

YES! Go read the match day thread....within a minute or two of kodjias goal, someone posted something about getting Freeman off

I'd rather use my own judgement from watching the game than reading the comments a match day thread from those listening. That said I have to agree with them - would have started Reid instead of Freeman and as that did not happen would have made the switch at half time.

Had a feeling this thread would get bumped.

Agard did well last night considering he hasn't had much game time this season but let's not overreact here. The difference last night wasn't anything to do with our attacking play, in fact it was probably the only area of our game that was slightly lacking with Freeman, Kodjia and Agard not quite clicking enough and Bennett and Williams on the wings not being as effective as they have been other times.

2 minutes ago, Nomad said:

I'd rather use my own judgement from watching the game than reading the comments a match day thread from those listening. That said I have to agree with them - would have started Reid instead of Freeman and as that did not happen would have made the switch at half time.

I wasn't at the game so I can't comment. What's your point anyway, that you thought I was lying or you agree Freeman should be substituted? 

And you're post there sums up exactly what i'm saying. 

How someone can be calling for someone to be substituted when they're not even at the game is beyond me.

If that person was actually at the game.....and 1 minute after Kodjia scored got their phone out to post on otib that someone should be substituted, then, IMO, they need to take a long hard look at themselves 

1 minute ago, Alessandro said:

I wasn't at the game so I can't comment. What's your point anyway, that you thought I was lying or you agree Freeman should be substituted? 

And you're post there sums up exactly what i'm saying. 

How someone can be calling for someone to be substituted when they're not even at the game is beyond me.

If that person was actually at the game.....and 1 minute after Kodjia scored got their phone out to post on otib that someone should be substituted, then, IMO, they need to take a long hard look at themselves 

I totally agree that anyone watching should not be posting but if they do rather than watch the game then that is their choice. As for someone listening and posting to the effect that Freeman should be substituted I do agree that it's a little strange - maybe the commentator explained what a poor half Freeman was having?

My point was questioning if you really meant someone was calling for him to be subbed when we were 1-0 up and before half time (that wasn't very long)....

2 minutes ago, roe said:

Agard did well last night considering he hasn't had much game time this season but let's not overreact here. The difference last night wasn't anything to do with our attacking play, in fact it was probably the only area of our game that was slightly lacking with Freeman, Kodjia and Agard not quite clicking enough and Bennett and Williams on the wings not being as effective as they have been other times.

Thanks for this....I also had a feeling this thread would get bumped. It's too easy for some people looking for some self congratulations or whatever.

From what i've read, heard and seen, yes three points regardless, it wasn't a polished City performance. 

Now i'm not saying Wilbraham should be recalled, but the "I told you so" attitude of a few when he was dropped was a little churlish to say the least. But TBH i've come to expect little more a few on here. C'est la vie

1 minute ago, Nomad said:

I totally agree that anyone watching should not be posting but if they do rather than watch the game then that is their choice. As for someone listening and posting to the effect that Freeman should be substituted I do agree that it's a little strange - maybe the commentator explained what a poor half Freeman was having?

My point was questioning if you really meant someone was calling for him to be subbed when we were 1-0 up and before half time (that wasn't very long)....

Absolutely, as I said, you can double check the match day thread, as I have just done, it is there.

2 hours ago, roe said:

2 hours ago, Alessandro said:

Thanks for this....I also had a feeling this thread would get bumped. It's too easy for some people looking for some self congratulations or whatever.

From what i've read, heard and seen, yes three points regardless, it wasn't a polished City performance. 

Now i'm not saying Wilbraham should be recalled, but the "I told you so" attitude of a few when he was dropped was a little churlish to say the least. But TBH i've come to expect little more a few on here. C'est la vie

From what I saw, we defended better because we defended higher up the pitch, our strikers nipping at the defenders heels, then Pack & Korey also defending well. Not having to defend the space infront of the back four helps alot! Agard and Kodjia may not have clicked up front as you say however they certainly did their part in defense...

Archived