IGNORED

Official Atyeo statue launch this weekend 31st October

Dollymarie

John Atyeo is widely considered the most accomplished footballer who has played for Bristol City. It is therefore fitting that when the new Ashton Gate is completed in autumn 2016, the final piece to be put in place will be a 1¼ life-size statue of 'Big John'.

The statue is being provided by the Supporters Club & Trust.  We are very pleased and proud that Liverpudlian Tom Murphy, who has produced a body of work of the highest quality, including world famous sculptures and memorials, many of them football related notably the Hillsborough Memorial, Billy Fury, John Lennon, Bill Shankly and Dixie Deanagreed to create our statue.  This last year, Tom has been working on our statue and has visited Bristol several times bringing 2½ ft model and busts of the statue, gradually refining the detail each visit.

Tom will show his latest versions in public for the first time in the Sports Bar at Ashton Gate before the next home game on Saturday 31st October at 11.30am.

The occasion will be graced by the presence of a number of the Atyeo family.  Tom aims to begin work on the statue itself in November.  Copies of the model and bust will be made available to order for delivery immediately after the unveiling of the statue in autumn 2016.

This is a rare chance to meet and interview members of the Atyeo family, with whom we have only just renewed contact after many years.  Tom Murphy is a very interesting artist and sculptor, being self-taught, yet he has made major additions to his home City of Liverpool and at many other places around the country.  His latest work to be unveiled was on 4th October in Reading – a memorial sculpture of Trooper Fred Potts; coverage can be seen here:

https://vimeo.com/user37461900/videos

http://www.demotix.com/news/8695118/chris-tarrant-unveils-bronze-readings-vc-hero-trooper-potts#media-8715276

• The topic was pinned

I'm sure this has been covered before, but what picture/pose is the statue being built off? 

There were a range of options that were voted on, I believe the trust opened that vote up to everyone on the website.

The winning vote went to the iconic imagine of 'Big John' trying to get a lamb pie down Market Street with his food Vouchers. 

• SC&T Board Members

I'm sure this has been covered before, but what picture/pose is the statue being built off? 

You can a picture of a miniature of the statue here: http://bristolcitysupporters.org/atyeo-statue/

The precise location is still being discussed with Bristol Sport, but will be in a very prominent position, probably facing you somewhere in front of the South Stand / West Stand corner as you enter the site from the Winterstoke Road.

Following that link from Blagdon Red and seeing you can purchase your name on the plinth reminds me - whatever happened to the 'bricks' that fans paid £50 to have their names on the new stadium? Are they being engraved onto bricks on the new stands? This may well have bypassed me and been mentioned so apologies if so.

Great news about the statue by the way. Will be great to see.

John Atyeo is widely considered the most accomplished footballer who has played for Bristol City. It is therefore fitting that when the new Ashton Gate is completed in autumn 2016, the final piece to be put in place will be a 1¼ life-size statue of 'Big John'.

The statue is being provided by the Supporters Club & Trust.  We are very pleased and proud that Liverpudlian Tom Murphy, who has produced a body of work of the highest quality, including world famous sculptures and memorials, many of them football related notably the Hillsborough Memorial, Billy Fury, John Lennon, Bill Shankly and Dixie Deanagreed to create our statue.  This last year, Tom has been working on our statue and has visited Bristol several times bringing 2½ ft model and busts of the statue, gradually refining the detail each visit.

Tom will show his latest versions in public for the first time in the Sports Bar at Ashton Gate before the next home game on Saturday 31st October at 11.30am.

The occasion will be graced by the presence of a number of the Atyeo family.  Tom aims to begin work on the statue itself in November.  Copies of the model and bust will be made available to order for delivery immediately after the unveiling of the statue in autumn 2016.

This is a rare chance to meet and interview members of the Atyeo family, with whom we have only just renewed contact after many years.  Tom Murphy is a very interesting artist and sculptor, being self-taught, yet he has made major additions to his home City of Liverpool and at many other places around the country.  His latest work to be unveiled was on 4th October in Reading – a memorial sculpture of Trooper Fred Potts; coverage can be seen here:

https://vimeo.com/user37461900/videos

http://www.demotix.com/news/8695118/chris-tarrant-unveils-bronze-readings-vc-hero-trooper-potts#media-8715276

Your post is word for word exactly the same as one posted by someone via a link on Twitter! What are the chances!?! Good to see copy and paste is still going strong!

Seriously though, this is great news, Big John is a true City legend, a proper one, one of only a few despite the 'L' word being used too often in front of mediocre players/people who were here for five minutes (relatively speaking).

Good work and well done to all who have made this happen...

• Admin

Following that link from Blagdon Red and seeing you can purchase your name on the plinth reminds me - whatever happened to the 'bricks' that fans paid £50 to have their names on the new stadium? Are they being engraved onto bricks on the new stands? This may well have bypassed me and been mentioned so apologies if so.

Great news about the statue by the way. Will be great to see.

@Ben4BCFC http://www.bcfc.co.uk/news/article/buy-a-brick-scheme-part-of-the-new-west-stand-2678852.aspx

http://www.otib.co.uk/index.php?/topic/171939-buy-a-brick/#comment-2354092

Your post is word for word exactly the same as one posted by someone via a link on Twitter! What are the chances!?! Good to see copy and paste is still going strong!

Seriously though, this is great news, Big John is a true City legend, a proper one, one of only a few despite the 'L' word being used too often in front of mediocre players/people who were here for five minutes (relatively speaking).

Good work and well done to all who have made this happen...

that's because it was from the press release that the SC&T put together, I was trying to get it done before I left for work, and I wanted to get it out there in plenty of time. Sorry! 

51 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

You do think they make him look like he is about to be held at gun point and he is being forced to surrender then?

Nope  That's how he used to celebrate. Less of the hugging and kissing, back in the day ;)

• The topic was unpinned

The update I can give you is this.

The statue is currently at the foundry being made. Before it went to the foundry the Atyeo family travelled up to Liverpool to see it, and were very pleased with what Tom had so far produced. It will now be some time before it comes back from the foundry as it takes some time to make etc. 

The site has yet to be confirmed, discussions are still ongoing. It will be installed during the close season once all the big machinery etc has left AG, so it can't be damaged. 

Hope that helps :) 

• Admin
34 minutes ago, Dollymarie said:

The update I can give you is this.

The statue is currently at the foundry being made. Before it went to the foundry the Atyeo family travelled up to Liverpool to see it, and were very pleased with what Tom had so far produced. It will now be some time before it comes back from the foundry as it takes some time to make etc. 

The site has yet to be confirmed, discussions are still ongoing. It will be installed during the close season once all the big machinery etc has left AG, so it can't be damaged. 

Hope that helps :) 

Thank you @Dollymarie :thumbsup:

Archived