IGNORED

Terrible day at the office. Nothing more.

Marina's Rolls Royce

Can't believe what I'm hearing and reading. It was an awful day but heads didn't drop and we just had a truly terrible day.  Flint had a mare of all mares, the ref failed to see a clear penalty. Just a thoroughly shite afternoon which I stayed til the bitter end unlike the 100's maybe 1000's who left at half time.

No one was good enough to get MOM but Pack Smith and Kodjia need special mention for their work rate.

As for we 'need a new manager', formation etc and also to those morons in the SS who booed Pack before the match as the teams were announced- have a word with yourselves.

We are not going to win every match obviously and every season we have a nightmare match- let's hope this one was it.

1 minute ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

Can't believe what I'm hearing and reading. It was an awful day but heads didn't drop and we just had a truly terrible day.  Flint had a mare of all mares, the ref failed to see a clear penalty. Just a thoroughly shite afternoon which I stayed til the bitter end unlike the 100's maybe 1000's who left at half time.

No one was good enough to get MOM but Pack Smith and Kodjia need special mention for their work rate.

As for we 'need a new manager', formation etc and also to those morons in the SS who booed Pack before the match as the teams were announced- have a word with yourselves.

We are not going to win every match obviously and every season we have a nightmare match- let's hope this one was it.

3 minutes ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

I don't blame the people who left personally. I said in another thread that Pack stuck his head above the parapet all afternoon whatever people thought of his performance......but a few others declined to join him. My view is that we may have to go a more horses for courses way and not rely totally on this 3-5-2 system. In other words we need a plan B before we have too many bad days at the office.

12 minutes ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

No, the writing has been on the wall for all to see, except those that refuse to see, as a club we have always not reacted sooner rather than too late. Relegation would be a disaster for the club with the infrastructure in place, SL cannot gamble with League 1, we are supposed to be on the way up, not down again. I hope Cotts will sort it out but there are questions about Cotts and his abilities at this level. 

18 minutes ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

The problem is that even when we have a good day at the office we only draw . If we draw every match between here and the end of the season we go down , no question.

We have the same interview on loop for each match ,Cotts could just leave a taped recording in the Press Room and it has to change .

2 minutes ago, ten minutes of rough said:

No, the writing has been on the wall for all to see, except those that refuse to see, as a club we have always not reacted sooner rather than too late. Relegation would be a disaster for the club with the infrastructure in place, SL cannot gamble with League 1, we are supposed to be on the way up, not down again. I hope Cotts will sort it out but there are questions about Cotts and his abilities at this level. 

The club gambled last season with a small squad and due to lack of injuries and good discipline it paid off. They have taken another massive gamble this season on similar lines and due to a lack of strength in depth it is looking like a risky strategy - it might be a master stroke that pays off in the end but it could also go horribly wrong as we are playing with the bigger boys and their parachute money now.  The responsibility for that lies just as much with Steve Lansdown for that as it does Cotterill, Burt and the rest. If the benefactor ends up seeing empty seats all over the shop when we run out against the likes of Colchester next season he will have to look closer to home and not moan that fans in Bristol are not interested.

Yep- another loss we have to endure.

The thing is that for those who actually attend matches- week in and week out both home and away- we really aren't looking like relegation material even if our position suggests otherwise.

As for burying my "head in the sand" as stated by Keepuplino- I suggest that my posting track record would suggest otherwise- I don't suddenly think we are world beaters any more than I suddenly think we're doomed. 

Bad bad day. Get over it and if we're still relegation candidates at Christmas then I'm sure I'll have something more to say in respect of SC. In the meantime,if it's ok with keepuplino and the other usual suspects, I'll just keep supporting a side that doesn't look like a relegation side and a Manager who I believe will keep us up.

23 minutes ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

The thing is that for those who actually attend matches- week in and week out both home and away- we really aren't looking like relegation material even if our position suggests otherwise.

As for burying my "head in the sand" as stated by Keepuplino- I suggest that my posting track record would suggest otherwise- I don't suddenly think we are world beaters any more than I suddenly think we're doomed. 

Bad bad day. Get over it and if we're still relegation candidates at Christmas then I'm sure I'll have something more to say in respect of SC. In the meantime,if it's ok with keepuplino and the other usual suspects, I'll just keep supporting a side that doesn't look like a relegation side and a Manager who I believe will keep us up.

I'm with you MRR.  Pretty much 100% same view.

As for Fulham today, they had some real quality, and used it to exploit us, swapping to wing backs from their regular 442.

Im just hoping for a huge improvement v Wolves.

32 minutes ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

I would love to believe that MRR…but 4 nil down at half time (could easily have been more)...when did that ever happen in a season where we were anything other relegation fodder?...we were completely outclassed today, all over the park and on the touchline. A truly atrocious summer has landed us supporters watching a side that's not equipped to do well in the Championship. I feel sorry for players who did so well last season and are now looking shell-shocked. 

But I feel more sorry for supporters who shelled out good money and are now left watching a side dangling in the wind.

We have to hope that their are three worse teams!

I do in a way agree with this post. I think the way we play largely depends on the opposition and whether they can expose us. Fulham and Reading and others have done, but Forest and Cardiff both clearly let us have the ball to try and hit us on the break and they couldn't do it. I would much rather Cotts picked a team that did not have centre backs charging up the pitch. Just a standard 2 banks of 4 so teams can't do what Fulham did today. But not all teams will get it so right like Fulham, and lets not forget how brilliant we were against Cardiff.

11 minutes ago, Red Exile said:

I would love to believe that MRR…but 4 nil down at half time (could easily have been more)...when did that ever happen in a season where we were anything other relegation fodder?...we were completely outclassed today, all over the park and on the touchline. A truly atrocious summer has landed us supporters watching a side that's not equipped to do well in the Championship. I feel sorry for players who did so well last season and are now looking shell-shocked. 

But I feel more sorry for supporters who shelled out good money and are now left watching a side dangling in the wind.

We have to hope that their are three worse teams!

Well- fair point.

Last season we were world beaters and yet 3-0 down at half time v the mighty Colchester. 

We had a shite day then like we had a shite day today.Difference is that today we went down against a team with some genuine quality and couldn't find our way back but did give it a go. We definitely won the second half but too little too late.

1 hour ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

Best post i've read in ages

The first goal, I could generously say we were caught cold....but it was too easy for Fulham.

up until the second goal I thought we looked like getting back into it. We had virtually all the play at that point.

Was it just before or just after the second that we had (what looked like) a stick on penalty for handball turned down.

i totally accept their goals were both classy and poorly defended, plus Fredericks hit the bar and Fielding made a great save from Cairney from a corner routine.  All in the first half.

Fulham probably have one of the most potent front pairings in the league.  Couple that with Cairney, who I thought was tops for Blackburn last season, O'Hara, a very good player let down by off the field stuff, Tunnicliffe, a highly rated youngster from Man Utd, and it is easy to see why on their day they might rip a team apart....see Reading second half last week.

....and that doesn't include Matt Smith!

Lets move on on and get behind the boys on Tuesday.

2 hours ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

Love your passion and support fella....but going to have to disagree with you regarding 'not looking like relegation material'.

This season is looking more and more like when John Ward took us up and Benny took over.

We played attractive attacking football then also....and we didn't look half bad....but we were easily broken down and conceded way too easily.

It's the same right now. We look good going forward, but can't defend for toffee.

I don't blame the players...I totally blame SC.

He insists on playing this style of football....and it's killing us.

At some points today, we had a bank of 5 players in a line, just stood still. Both wing backs tight to the line, and Kodijia, Freeman and Wilbs just stood in the middle.

Fulham put 4 on them....it was easy to defend against. Then flooded the midfield and harried high. They blocked out nearly every pass option and made us make mistakes.

Our back 3 were under the kosh all afternoon, as they had no outlets....no wonder they made mistakes.

Plenty are down on confidence....Flint especially it seems. Ayling looks half asleep and Bryan looked like a little boy today.

We were totally outplayed in midfield today...and it's happening nearly every game.

It's purely down to how SC is asking them to play....not the players fault.

He's so stubborn...he's cutting off his nose to spite his face.

He'll be making way for Pearson soon imho.

1 hour ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

I agree with a lot of this. We don't look like relegation fodder however we don't look much better. The results we have been getting reflect this. You might disagree but in all the games we haven't won but should have its down to 1 thing. A lack of quality. 

My one question, IF and I know it's a huge IF we had Gray or Gayle, how many goals would he be on? 

Kodjia is on 7 now, I believe those players who are a cut above would be on 10+. That in itself would be mid table. 

Fulham are a top 4 side in this league on their day. We can't win every game BUT games against the likes of Preston, MK, Bolton, Rotherham, Leeds. WE MUST be getting results. 

There is a huge gulf in class from league one - Championship and also a huge gap between the top half and bottom half of this division. 

I for one believe we will stay up and will be there till the end on Tuesday and will be there next Saturday as I am and always will be.

3 minutes ago, spudski said:

Love your passion and support fella....but going to have to disagree with you regarding 'not looking like relegation material'.

This season is looking more and more like when John Ward took us up and Benny took over.

We played attractive attacking football then also....and we didn't look half bad....but we were easily broken down and conceded way too easily.

It's the same right now. We look good going forward, but can't defend for toffee.

At some points today, we had a bank of 5 players in a line, just stood still. Both wing backs tight to the line, and Kodijia, Freeman and Wilbs just stood in the middle.

Fulham put 4 on them....it was easy to defend against. Then flooded the midfield and harried high. They blocked out nearly every pass option and made us make mistakes.

Our back 3 were under the kosh all afternoon, as they had no outlets....no wonder they made mistakes.

Plenty are down on confidence....Flint especially it seems. Ayling looks half asleep and Bryan looked like a little boy today.

We were totally outplayed in midfield today...and it's happening nearly every game.

He'll be making way for Pearson soon imho.

Good post Spudski and your analysis of the basic tactical problem spot on for me

Some of the basic errors, lack of awareness and poor reading of danger at the back are simply laughable

Not sure based on recent performances we look relegation material (Today we looked like a relegated team mind) and for me we also need to cash in when on the front foot 

The signs are worrying still - when we are on top we don't cash in and when we make a mistake we are cut apart 

Too many players getting ahead of the ball too early for me too Spud

2 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Good post Spudski and your analysis of the basic tactical problem spot on for me

Some of the basic errors, lack of awareness and poor reading of danger at the back are simply laughable

Not sure based on recent performances we look relegation material (Today we looked like a relegated team mind) and for me we also need to cash in when on the front foot 

The signs are worrying still - when we are on top we don't cash in and when we make a mistake we are cut apart 

Too many players getting ahead of the ball too early for me too Spud

I really think the basics at the back are failing as the defence looks shell shocked and low on confidence. They had very few options today...and Fulham worked hard at defending high and rushing players like Flint into mistakes. Ayling goes missing lots also...like you said many players getting ahead too early.

Our defending is so last ditch....which means players are out of position or rushed into mistakes because of lack of options.

I really don't see how playing with the ball down the left say...we leave our wing back hugging the touchline on the right. Madness....it's like playing with 10 players when you do that....so easy to defend against.

3 minutes ago, spudski said:

I really think the basics at the back are failing as the defence looks shell shocked and low on confidence. They had very few options today...and Fulham worked hard at defending high and rushing players like Flint into mistakes. Ayling goes missing lots also...like you said many players getting ahead too early.

Our defending is so last ditch....which means players are out of position or rushed into mistakes because of lack of options.

I really don't see how playing with the ball down the left say...we leave our wing back hugging the touchline on the right. Madness....it's like playing with 10 players when you do that....so easy to defend against.

Was watching our back three at times today rather than follow the ball and their awareness of danger or potential danger was shocking, ball watching , never anticipating an error or 'what if' if we lose the ball - no wonder our individual errors are so often leading to goals

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

As for Fulham today, they had some real quality, and used it to exploit us, swapping to wing backs from their regular 442.

This highlights Cotts big problem. Other managers have the ability to change formation, tactics and players to suit the situation. Cotts just keeps everything the same regardless of the opposition and regardless of how the match is going

2 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Was watching our back three at times today rather than follow the ball and their awareness of danger or potential danger was shocking, ball watching , never anticipating an error or 'what if' if we lose the ball - no wonder our individual errors are so often leading to goals

Haha...old habits die hard ;-) I was doing the same as well....Ayling especially.

They have parachute payments and are in a different league financially we can not afford someone like Dembele (£15000,000) so its about time that some people woke up and smelt the coffee, our budget is one of the smallest in the division so we can not roll over teams like we did last season.

5 minutes ago, spudski said:

There has been one for me Major difference. For 352 to work your 3 CB must be actual centre backs. Old school stoppers. Flint and Baker fit this and Williams to a degree. The problem lies when Ayling has to play there, Ayling is not a centre back and I feel Cotts likes to have as many attacking options as possible on the pitch.

Ayling loves to travel forward with the ball, what this leaves is essentially 2 at the back because both our full backs bomb forward as practically wingers. The difference in the two games we looked more solid is we had Baker Flint and Williams as our CBs, these 3 are out and out defenders. 

31 minutes ago, spudski said:

Is that something you have heard on the grapevine Spudski, or a hunch? (about Pearson)? 

Archived