IGNORED

Terrible day at the office. Nothing more.

Marina's Rolls Royce

It's really disappointing that today,  after signs of progress in recent games, we went back to the shambolic defending that characterised some matches earlier in the season. Today was worrying because we did look like relegation candidates.  Fulham picked us off far too easily.  Agree with the OP that it's not all doom and gloom, but we cannot keep giving goals away so cheaply.

11 minutes ago, foghornred said:

They have parachute payments and are in a different league financially we can not afford someone like Dembele (£15000,000) so its about time that some people woke up and smelt the coffee, our budget is one of the smallest in the division so we can not roll over teams like we did last season.

Birmingham are doing ok, as are a few other teams that aren't paying a fortune in wages.

5 minutes ago, lenred said:

Is that something you have heard on the grapevine Spudski, or a hunch? (about Pearson)? 

A few people have mentioned it. Nothing of substance though....just rumour.

4 minutes ago, billywedlock said:

Exactly, so the last thing you do is adopt such an open system, that not one Prem team operates, with players who are far from the level of the budget of a team like Fulham. You have to adapt. Instead SC is playing a system that even great squads struggle to manage. It is suicide tactics. We should have been closing games down, not trying to outscore a Prem side. We have squad able to stay up, but we have needed to urgently change the system a month ago. It is not working. Either SC sorts or he gets fired. I don't think we are far from that moment. 

This year we are playing teams that are miles better than anything we faced last year. The forwards are better and our mistakes are punished more often But ....... and this is why I've quoted Billy.

We do not adapt to teams, it looks very much like we've been found out. Several times we have been caught behind the wingbacks with the CB's bombing on. Also it looks like (and this is about home games) they know if the keep it tight chance will come. Away this year we've looked OK , maybe because we are slightly more cautious, at home it can be like a bloody cavalry charge.

They had a monster at CB, maybe a thinking manager may have tried a nippy forward to shake things up as Wilbs got little change out of the rest of the defence let alone that man mountain.

As for subs, 4-0 and Cox comes on for Freeman (who I thought was one of the only players getting any success), then with 6 mins left Ried for Wilbs! Seems odd. If he will not change formation (which I do think can work) , then he needs to change or tweak it. Actually try defending with the 3 CB's to start with .  If Plan A is not working what's the point of trying plan A again !!

2 hours ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

Yep- another loss we have to endure.

The thing is that for those who actually attend matches- week in and week out both home and away- we really aren't looking like relegation material even if our position suggests otherwise.

As for burying my "head in the sand" as stated by Keepuplino- I suggest that my posting track record would suggest otherwise- I don't suddenly think we are world beaters any more than I suddenly think we're doomed. 

Bad bad day. Get over it and if we're still relegation candidates at Christmas then I'm sure I'll have something more to say in respect of SC. In the meantime,if it's ok with keepuplino and the other usual suspects, I'll just keep supporting a side that doesn't look like a relegation side and a Manager who I believe will keep us up.

We were outclassed, had a few 'mares out there, got hit by sucker punches and the ****** of a ref didn't help, but basically they deserved to win because man for man they were a much better team.

What depresses me is that the manager doesn't seem to know what to do about it other than accept it.

To survive, we seemingly must rely on there being even worse sides than us.

56 minutes ago, foghornred said:

They have parachute payments and are in a different league financially we can not afford someone like Dembele (£15000,000) so its about time that some people woke up and smelt the coffee, our budget is one of the smallest in the division so we can not roll over teams like we did last season.

Fulham fan in peace, just wanted to correct a small error, Moussa Dembele mark 1 was the £15,000,000 player was a class act and is at Tottenham. Moussa Dembele mark 2 who scored today cost £500,000. 

Good do luck for the rest of the season

2 hours ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

Yep- another loss we have to endure.

The thing is that for those who actually attend matches- week in and week out both home and away- we really aren't looking like relegation material even if our position suggests otherwise.

As for burying my "head in the sand" as stated by Keepuplino- I suggest that my posting track record would suggest otherwise- I don't suddenly think we are world beaters any more than I suddenly think we're doomed. 

Bad bad day. Get over it and if we're still relegation candidates at Christmas then I'm sure I'll have something more to say in respect of SC. In the meantime,if it's ok with keepuplino and the other usual suspects, I'll just keep supporting a side that doesn't look like a relegation side and a Manager who I believe will keep us up.

It's hard to believe in a team that goes in at home 0.4 half time, no excuse for that, and yet what I see from many on here is optimisism that we can still climb the table, we are playing well despite everything, that frankly is naive, and typical of City supporters  and the Board. How long do we give it? This set up will not produce a team that is worthy of promotion, all perhaps even survival unless the coaches change the ****ing system we play. Cotts won't, and it's costing us, he insists that he is right, sadly he is not. Playing Wilbs is a huge mistake, week in week out Why? Fieldiing is Carp, as is Flint, Williams too, its all there to see and yet many refuse to believe it, it's lil ol City innit?  Seems like some don't want success, why even Dolly admitted such, frightened the club might be less of a community  with success. 

We have a very rich owner, Bristol based, and still we manage to cock up.

Fact... the biggest Football club never to play in the Prem...how quaint.

I said quite early in the season that we might find it harder at home than away this season, playing the way we do.  I don't necessarily agree with 451 at home @Bob Bob Super Bob, but I would either like us to play a flatter 3 in midfield (a real 532), rather than the 5212 we play.

Freeman has the energy to work that system, either that, or Reid is given a chance.

The other option is to just play Kodjia, and play 2 in the hole 5221 (looks a bit weird written like that) or 5311. The 5221 I've seen in Europe, and can allow you to overload the middle if the pitch, especially when the wing backs can almost make it feel like a 6 in there.

Formations aren't everything, neither are tactics, individual performances are though, and today too many didn't win their battles.

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

I said quite early in the season that we might find it harder at home than away this season, playing the way we do.  I don't necessarily agree with 451 at home @Bob Bob Super Bob, but I would either like us to play a flatter 3 in midfield (a real 532), rather than the 5212 we play.

Freeman has the energy to work that system, either that, or Reid is given a chance.

The other option is to just play Kodjia, and play 2 in the hole 5221 (looks a bit weird written like that) or 5311. The 5221 I've seen in Europe, and can allow you to overload the middle if the pitch, especially when the wing backs can almost make it feel like a 6 in there.

Formations aren't everything, neither are tactics, individual performances are though, and today too many didn't win their battles.

If ever we've had a player who can be the the sole striker, the one up front  - we've never had a better one than in JK.

As for individual performances as highlighted by Spud - yes I'd agree with most of that - in fact I'd agree with most posts that don't agree with me in that it's not all ok, SC is making some odd decisions when it seems so obvious to the rest of us.

Thing is- if we'd won today, I bet people would be talking about how little distance we are from the play offs and how far we'd come. That's the whole point- we are clearly going to have a fight on our hands and we'll win and lose- up and down moments. Yes our problem  does stem back to the pathetic summer transfer fiasco but I really don't think the blame lies with SC.

And Spudski - good luck to you re Pearson as your ITK record is shrouded in enigma wrapped up in mystery and errr.........usually bollox, whilst your tactical observations are invariably damn close to the mark.

1 hour ago, SX225 said:

We cannot afford a loss vs Wolves.

In the short term we need to stop the early goals. Yes, park the bus.

4-5-1 and if still drawing towards the end of the match, perhaps go for the win in the last 15 minutes.

Is this negative?  Yes, of course.

But we cannot go 0-1 down early doors for the foreseeable future. Confidence is shot.

I'd take a few draws, conceding as few as possible, and try to build up some confidence - but that would mean Cotts would have to change his POV.

I will say, at no risk of contradiction, the anti-Cotts faction on the board have the champers on ice. He no longer has the numbers.

A 0-3 vs Wolves and he will be gone.

The scary thing is wolves, like Fulham, could quite easily do that. Afobe is absolutely fantastic, we're lucky Dicko is out.

10 hours ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

Can't believe what I'm hearing and reading. It was an awful day but heads didn't drop and we just had a truly terrible day.  Flint had a mare of all mares, the ref failed to see a clear penalty. Just a thoroughly shite afternoon which I stayed til the bitter end unlike the 100's maybe 1000's who left at half time.

No one was good enough to get MOM but Pack Smith and Kodjia need special mention for their work rate.

As for we 'need a new manager', formation etc and also to those morons in the SS who booed Pack before the match as the teams were announced- have a word with yourselves.

We are not going to win every match obviously and every season we have a nightmare match- let's hope this one was it.

Boo'd Pack before match??...a discrace to do this to any honest player,and Pack is certainly that(even if he may not be your cup of tea)..if that's what they(the boo boys)want to do then just stay away....

8 hours ago, SX225 said:

We cannot afford a loss vs Wolves.

In the short term we need to stop the early goals. Yes, park the bus.

4-5-1 and if still drawing towards the end of the match, perhaps go for the win in the last 15 minutes.

Is this negative?  Yes, of course.

But we cannot go 0-1 down early doors for the foreseeable future. Confidence is shot.

I'd take a few draws, conceding as few as possible, and try to build up some confidence - but that would mean Cotts would have to change his POV.

I will say, at no risk of contradiction, the anti-Cotts faction on the board have the champers on ice. He no longer has the numbers.

A 0-3 vs Wolves and he will be gone.

Why should we do any better against Wolves this time? In fact, 0-3 would be an improvement over recent results :(

Archived