IGNORED

Managerial alternatives?

RegC

17 minutes ago, Bat Fastard said:

Stick with Cotts - and he will do just fine!!  We are currently at a disadvantage in terms of income and this will be corrected by next season.  All we need is to survive and have a decent transfer window and all will be well.  Patience is called for!!

By saying 'we are at a disadvantage in terms of income' do you mean because we only have three stands?

I'm not sure there are thousands locked out who just can't get a ticket, what do you think our crowds will be when the ground is completed? 

Im not sure attendances will be much more than now...it will just be more spread out...

1 minute ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

By saying 'we are at a disadvantage in terms of income' do you mean because we only have three stands?

I'm not sure there are thousands locked out who just can't get a ticket, what do you think our crowds will be when the ground is completed? 

Im not sure attendances will be much more than now...it will just be more spread out...

....and that's assuming we stay up! If we go down I reckon we'll get 11,000 most weeks..

(quoting my own posts again, how sad!!)

16 minutes ago, Bat Fastard said:

Stick with Cotts - and he will do just fine!!  We are currently at a disadvantage in terms of income and this will be corrected by next season.  All we need is to survive and have a decent transfer window and all will be well.  Patience is called for!!

Income will only be corrected if:

1. We are still in the Championship.

2. We can fill the stadium to at least 90% of capacity.

3. To fill 90% we have to be in the top eight with a realistic chance of play off involvement.

Thus if we scrape by for another season in this league, the improvement next season will have to be spectacular.

Are we capable of increasing our home gates by around 40 to 50% if we only finish 21st this season?

Pearson is a walking controversy. Arrogant and rude, blotted his copy book for me at Leicester. 

Jimmy F H? Really?! Unproven.

Di Matteo - no a snows chance in hell. He won the champions league with Chelsea, before managing in the bundesliga.

I don't see a better obvious alternative to SC.

56 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

....oh, and Brian McDermott is chief scout at the Arse, I reckon he'd give up that for a manager's role, although that does seem quite a cushy number!

Not sure I want him, but he's an ok manager and he got Reading promoted out of this division winning 15 of the last 17 games in 2012...

Interesting, saw him at a game at AG recently, think it was at MK Dons. Wonder who he was looking at? 

3 hours ago, Chris_Brown said:

Paul Tisdale.

But we really should stick with Cotterill.

Paul Tisdale would be far too much of a gamble. His management experience consists of 5 years at Team Bath and 9 years at Exeter. City need someone ambitious who can cut it at Championship level, not someone who's happy to spend 15 years coasting at non / lower league level. (That person may or may not be Cotts)

This thread proves any decent manager is already working and we should stick with SC anyway; really, give the guy a decent chance and start believing in our chairman/manager.

What is it, not even halfway there yet; but already how many more games, change this, change that, this player, that player; F.F.S if we had chopped AD down so quick we wouldn't have got to the top flight;

Everything comes to those who wait, Rome was not built in a day.........change takes time...... chill peeps.

Names that spring to mind are Pearson, Lambert and controversially for some,  Mark Sampson. Of those I'd go for Lambert as he's less of a loon than Pearson and proven at this level than Simpson or JFH. 

At some point, a decent size Football league side are going to give Sampson a job. They'll be rewarded too - he'll be a success.  We are risk averse though, so it won't happen here.  He is at least known to the board through the job be did at Bristol Academy. 

23 minutes ago, The Bard said:

Names that spring to mind are Pearson, Lambert and controversially for some,  Mark Sampson. Of those I'd go for Lambert as he's less of a loon than Pearson and proven at this level than Simpson or JFH. 

At some point, a decent size Football league side are going to give Sampson a job. They'll be rewarded too - he'll be a success.  We are risk averse though, so it won't happen here.  He is at least known to the board through the job be did at Bristol Academy. 

Interesting shout with Sampson.. He's the sort of manager a progressive club like Swansea would bring in if they were relegated and lost monk.

2 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Interesting shout with Sampson.. He's the sort of manager a progressive club like Swansea would bring in if they were relegated and lost monk.

He was in charge of Swansea's Academy under Martinez.... when he was about 22.

I did a coaching badge with a couple of Bristol Academy players a couple of years ago. They worshipped him. Were gutted he'd left.  They left soon after to bigger and better things.

Bristol Academy punched miles above their weight under him. He was extremely impressive as the England manager I thought. Thorough and professional. Not saying he should be our manager - I'd stick with Cotts, but he'd certainly be tactically adept and willing to do things differently. 

Glen hoddle with father jack from father Ted as his assistant, while we are at it we can get uri geller in as a coach, teach pack how to bend the ball in free kicks. In the meantime I pray cotts looks for a formation that works and understands that you can make subs before the 89th minute. Would like to see him take us to the prem. Premier league that is, not the premier Inn, all we can afford as a club on away days.

4 hours ago, 29AR said:

How attractive would the job be? Playing well but getting little return, still a footballing backwater, still unable to attract established pros and what seems to be (rightly, in my opinion) a real hesitancy to offer long term deals on a good wedge to players. 

On the plus side a new ground, young team, a benevolent owner and his son on the board for succession and a huge, if ambivalent, catchment area. 

To be honest I think we are still in the 'punt' box rather than a club a manager would think will be a reputation enhancer. Add to that Pulis iirc was our last manager to be recruited out of role role and that we've gone through our fair share, and many may consider SC to be very hard on his luck to go so soon after a double winning season, I really strongly believe sacking SC wont leave us with any better alternative and certainly not so much better that it'd be worth the (negative) PR. 

"Name" out-of-work go to manage teams in the US, Far East, Arab states etc etc.

Being "a footballing backwater" is not an issue. Not paying enough to keep them in sheepskin coats and unfashionable costume jewellery is.

10 hours ago, glos old boy said:

This thread proves any decent manager is already working and we should stick with SC anyway; really, give the guy a decent chance and start believing in our chairman/manager.

What is it, not even halfway there yet; but already how many more games, change this, change that, this player, that player; F.F.S if we had chopped AD down so quick we wouldn't have got to the top flight;

Everything comes to those who wait, Rome was not built in a day.........change takes time...... chill peeps.

Rome wasn't dismantled half way through its build either ala the transfer debacle pre season.

I've said this before and I'll say it again: If we were in the same position right now with any other manager we'd be making these lists with Steve Cotterill at the top of them. The man who can keep us up is already here. He may, however, need to modify his approach to something more like the one he used when he arrived 2 years ago: keep it simple, don't lose.

Archived