IGNORED

Managerial alternatives?

RegC

13 minutes ago, BCFC_Dan said:

I've said this before and I'll say it again: If we were in the same position right now with any other manager we'd be making these lists with Steve Cotterill at the top of them. The man who can keep us up is already here. He may, however, need to modify his approach to something more like the one he used when he arrived 2 years ago: keep it simple, don't lose.

I think you are exactly right. Whereas we might have started the season with a view to consolidate ourselves as a Championship club and build on from there for next season, we now have to go into survival mode and rescue the season.

We still have time to turn it around and maybe we will end up higher than we foresee now, but unless we take it on board and act now to gain some points and score goals instead of leaking them, with every match that passes the job gets more difficult. Do the work now and leave a little breathing space at the end of the season.

Yes we are facing tough, established teams in the Championship, and our fellow promotion teams aren't making strides either so it 'not just us'. But surely Cotterill knows the players and just about all of them are his, which obviously wasnt the case when he arrived and faced similar. 

I think it's very do-able, once the mindset is changed from let's chase the Prem to survival mode.

2 hours ago, BCFC_Dan said:

I've said this before and I'll say it again: If we were in the same position right now with any other manager we'd be making these lists with Steve Cotterill at the top of them. The man who can keep us up is already here. He may, however, need to modify his approach to something more like the one he used when he arrived 2 years ago: keep it simple, don't lose.

You can't talk on behalf of everybody....I'm not sure he would be at the top of everyone's list if he wasn't already our manager

7 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

You can't talk on behalf of everybody....I'm not sure he would be at the top of everyone's list if he wasn't already our manager

Fair point. He wasn't exactly popular when he did get the job.

However, if I was trying to come up with managers who could be described as a safe pair of hands with championship experience I think he'd be up there.

2 hours ago, RedM said:

I think you are exactly right. Whereas we might have started the season with a view to consolidate ourselves as a Championship club and build on from there for next season, we now have to go into survival mode and rescue the season.

We still have time to turn it around and maybe we will end up higher than we foresee now, but unless we take it on board and act now to gain some points and score goals instead of leaking them, with every match that passes the job gets more difficult. Do the work now and leave a little breathing space at the end of the season.

Yes we are facing tough, established teams in the Championship, and our fellow promotion teams aren't making strides either so it 'not just us'. But surely Cotterill knows the players and just about all of them are his, which obviously wasnt the case when he arrived and faced similar. 

I think it's very do-able, once the mindset is changed from let's chase the Prem to survival mode.

Agree with this. 

It will be interesting tonight to see if those lessons from the Fulham match have been learned.

As this is all hypothetical - for SC to be given the boot one would assume we are in the bottom 3 and fast heading for relegation so what big name manager would want a job with the likelihood of a season in League 1 - not in my opinion an option a top manager would choose .

So unless we splash the cash we are stuck in the usual rut of cheapskate replacements or those not knowing the league and so the cycle continues.

Give SC time ,we have a decent team playing attractive football and come the next transfer window we can bring in quality and stay in this league.

3 hours ago, TheCulturalBomb said:

In November 2013, it was reported that Di Matteo was still being paid £130,000-a-week by Chelsea because the two parties had never agreed on a pay-off settlement and that he would continue to be paid in full until June 2014 unless he took another job before then.

Madness.

In the normal world it is indeed madness, but for Di Matteo it must be fantastic. 

2 hours ago, BCFC_Dan said:

Fair point. He wasn't exactly popular when he did get the job.

However, if I was trying to come up with managers who could be described as a safe pair of hands with championship experience I think he'd be up there.

Fair enough, but I'm not sure I'd necessarily call him a 'safe pair of hands' in the championship yet.

At Burnley he led them to 13th and 17th in his first two seasons, and in his last he left after one win in the first ten games. Win rate overall at the Clarets was 34% under Cotts.

He was at Pompey for little over a year and in the 2011/12 season he won just 2 of the first 10 games before leaving. Yep I know they were a club with many off field issues but managers and players only really concentrate on what happens on the field and his record there was a 29.5% win rate.

He was at Forest for less than a year having joined in October 2011 and leaving in July 2012. They were 23rd in the division in January 2012 and he eventually took them to 19th. Win rate 32%.

I am in no way having a go at Cotts here. And I totally agree with people who say that stats don't always tell the whole story.

But, although he has some championship experience, he has never really set the division alight and has never finished in the top half.

So not sure he's a safe pair of hands just yet...

9 hours ago, BCFC_Dan said:

he wouldnt be anywhere near my list if in that position, i think more highly of him now than i did before he was here.

22 hours ago, 'keepuplino' said:

Rome wasn't dismantled half way through its build either ala the transfer debacle pre season.

Oh leave it out, we nearly had two of the best goalscorers in this div, one didn't want to come and is now at Burnley the other is here but could quite easily follow Mr Cole to Man U in the future would have to be about 15million though. SL and SC will do whatever it takes to keep us in this div do not doubt that.

They will also find other gems like KOD (who really heard of him before he came here?) Baker as well a giant in defence as good if not better than Flint, Bennet has also been brought in hardly a debacle. :facepalm:

We are learning fast in this league maybe some fans should too and not run around like headless chickens when we get setbacks; we all want the best for our club but we need to" keep calm and carry on"

On 02/11/2015 07:52:57, spudski said:

We've also conceded 6 in those four games.

I get what you are implying though.

If Cotts can get the team to stop conceding goals and continue making chances consistently, then great...but if the situation comes where he goes, because we continue to struggle near the bottom of the league, then he can blame no one but himself.

In all seriousness though....there isn't a game where I watch and don't think we will concede.

On 31/10/2015 16:58:51, glos old boy said:

Kod = 10,000,000m

2 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

You really think a guy with zero football management experience is nailed on for the job of England manager?!

He sounds perfect

13 hours ago, glos old boy said:

Oh leave it out, we nearly had two of the best goalscorers in this div, one didn't want to come and is now at Burnley the other is here but could quite easily follow Mr Cole to Man U in the future would have to be about 15million though. SL and SC will do whatever it takes to keep us in this div do not doubt that.

They will also find other gems like KOD (who really heard of him before he came here?) Baker as well a giant in defence as good if not better than Flint, Bennet has also been brought in hardly a debacle. :facepalm:

We are learning fast in this league maybe some fans should too and not run around like headless chickens when we get setbacks; we all want the best for our club but we need to" keep calm and carry on"

If i were to just keep calm and carry on my old mate i wouldn't be where i am in life right now.

I see things in black and white i'm afraid and the summer transfer business was nothing short of a disgrace, i hope to god we get away with it!!

Not looking to bad at the moment 4 points clear of the drop, fingers crossed we pull it off.

Archived