IGNORED

Chesham United!

SecretSam

4 minutes ago, handsofclay1909 said:

it was the 77 to 78 season. I remember City were losing 2-4 at home but pulled it back to 4-4 in last few mins but then lost the replay 3-0. I think Dixie McNeil scored a load for Wrexham. I think people are getting confused with Wrexham being Div 4 because in the 1980s they pulled off a bigger shock by knocking out Arsenal as a Div 4 side. I would guess and say there were about 30 places between us and Wrexham when they beat us.

Yep, I remember celebrating the late equaliser (Mabbutt?) and arranging on the spot to go to Wrexham for the replay on the Tuesday.

Lost 3-0, Dai Davies in their goal getting horrendous stick from the City fans.

Dreadful defeat, made all the worse because we'd already been up there a couple of months before to witness them knocking City out of the League Cup. 

Wow. What a result. For a team like Rovers to manage to stay within one goal of Chesham shows the outstanding progress they've made in recent years. Assume Chesham were pretty comfortable, but suspect they'll be in for extra training after a result as poor as that. They'll need to improve significantly if they've got ambitions of reaching the 3rd round. 

7 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Aiz, you got the season wrong.

It was 77-78, not 79-80.

4-4 home draw, 0-3 away.

City finished 17th in the First division, Wrexham were Champions of the 3rd.

28 places below City at the end of the season.

and we lost to Wrexham in the league cup same season.....following season 78/79 we lost in both cups to the same lower league team again??? any guesses

9 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Aiz, you got the season wrong.

It was 77-78, not 79-80.

4-4 home draw, 0-3 away.

City finished 17th in the First division, Wrexham were Champions of the 3rd.

28 places below City at the end of the season.

Sorry. Memory confused. What I do remember about the home game is that both teams came back from two goals down, something I've never seen before or since :o 

36 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Yep, I was there.

Wrexham were only in the old 2nd division at the time.

Wrexham beat us twice in the 70s at the Racecource, 1-0 & 3-0, I had the misfortune to be there for both games, they had some decent players at the time, Dean and Whittle up front, Dai Davis in goal Joey Jones at full back and a young Micky Thomas in midfield

1 minute ago, harrys said:

Wrexham beat us twice in the 70s at the Racecource, 1-0 & 3-0, I had the misfortune to be there for both games, they had some decent players at the time, Dean and Whittle up front, Dai Davis in goal Joey Jones at full back and a young Micky Thomas in midfield

you saw Dixie dean???

mcneil me thinks

5 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Yep, I remember celebrating the late equaliser (Mabbutt?) and arranging on the spot to go to Wrexham for the replay on the Tuesday.

Lost 3-0, Dai Davies in their goal getting horrendous stick from the City fans.

Dreadful defeat, made all the worse because we'd already been up there a couple of months before to witness them knocking City out of the League Cup. 

Still who cares about being knocked out of both major cups by Wrexham in the same season? We went on to win the Anglo Scottish Cup!!!

5 minutes ago, harrys said:

Me too Harry, see 8 posts up!

2 hours ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

I bet the Chesham end is full of City fans.

As far as I could see it was just the missus and myself - two out of 577. She actually wore a City t-shirt under her coat :-) (Disclaimer: I moved to Bristol from Chesham when I was 19. You have no idea how happy I am this evening!)

That 2nd Wrexham game.

Bad enough night for all the travelling City fans but I'll never forget in the 2nd half a couple of bedraggled City fans going round asking if anyone had spare seats going back to Bristol. 

They had spent the whole day hitch hiking to Wrexham, spent all their money on paying to get in, and had already made enquiries to the supporters coach who had refused to fit them in.

Often wondered what happened to them.

2 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

That 2nd Wrexham game.

Bad enough night for all the travelling City fans but I'll never forget in the 2nd half a couple of bedraggled City fans going round asking if anyone had spare seats going back to Bristol. 

They had spent the whole day hitch hiking to Wrexham, spent all their money on paying to get in, and had already made enquiries to the supporters coach who had refused to fit them in.

Often wondered what happened to them.

I remember those 2

5 minutes ago, harrys said:

I remember those 2

Poor sods - freezing, knackered, terrible game and stuck in Wrexham at 10 o'clock on a Tuesday night with no money, no way of getting back to Bristol, and nowhere to sleep.

The things people do for this bloody football club.

Archived