IGNORED

My Thoughts from Bolton Away

Fat Cigar

On 8 November 2015 11:14:19, Selred said:

Last season was completely different. You had great deliver from Pack and Freeman and Flint was popping them in for fun. 

It seems our different tactics for set pieces has changed more this year, yes they are up against better defenders, but we seem to lack the clever routine this season. 

We did try a clever one on Sat 2nd half but it didn't come off

On 8 November 2015 10:01:14, Major Isewater said:

Thanks for your post . I think you are on the money .

Why ,oh why , did n't Cotts try and sign another  striker in the summer ? ...  He has also spoken of needing a midfielder , where is this midfielder ? Someone in the style of Elliott would be fantastic .

Pack is not the answer from set pièces ,anybody believe that he will score from his free kicks ? ... thought not . I'm not knocking the guy he is a valuable player for us but Beckham he ain't !

Freeman appears badly off the boil at the moment and again his goal return is not brilliant . He plugs away and I hope it comes right for him but frankly he's having a stinker of a season at the moment . Being sent off ,missing sitters and penalties not given for him ,what a contrast to last season .

At Birmingham he hit the post from a Free Kick similar to the position of the one Sat so yeah I must admit I was hopeful he might score from it. 

On 11/8/2015, 8:43:57, Fat Cigar said:

I won't lie, I came away frustrated, not for the first time this season and it certainly won't be the last time. Within 5 mins you could tell Bolton were there for the taking. They looked a team low on confidence and were barely out of their half in the first 20mins. We dominated everything, won the 50-50s, did what we do best when we're on top. But, it's the same failings: no cutting edge in the final third. Lots of little passes in and around the box, then the ball goes out wide, then back a bit, then out wide, then someone looks like they might shoot but decide against. Repeat over and over. 

We are simply dreadful at set pieces and no one is able to cross the damn ball. People cheer when we win a corner, I sigh. God knows what we were doing with our free kicks yesterday. Must have been the most elaborate plans agreed in training, because when it came to taking them, 6 passes had been completed and no shot offered. Or maybe that was the plan. Very bizarre.

Kodjia had his quietest game, by some distance. He's allowed to. He didn't get much service and there was none of those brilliant runs he makes at defenders. One thing Bolton were good at was defending. They looked composed and well drilled at the back. I don't think they've conceded many at home and you can see why.

No, what was frustrating was that this was clearly a team who we should have beaten. By half-time. Except we created little. As was the case on Tuesday night. So, a change to our early matches in that we're still able to control games but now we've stopped creating chances, which is a real concern.

After 30mins or so, there were already murmurs of dissent and the odd boo from their supporters. And yet we couldn't capitalise. It's pleasing we've now kept 4 clean sheets in 6 games, but the goals have dried up. Yes, our defence isn't the most convincing in the world (although Flint and Baker were very good again), but I'm more concerned by our lack of fire power. 

Agard worked hard again. Thought he was more of a threat than Tuesday and that's a plus. He'll get better as he plays more. But, yesterday gave us a glimpse as to what happens when Kodjia isn't in the game: we have nothing up front.

If none of our midfielders are confident enough to shoot from a decent range, they really should be working hard on that in training. Or their crossing. In short, we just take too much time when near the opposition box. And by then they've re-grouped and our threat has largely subsided. 

I know there's another thread on here saying that that was our most important point this season. Hmm, maybe. If we can't beat a demoralised Bolton side (who themselves struggle to score), then we're going to be languishing in the bottom 6 or 7 all season. Which makes for a horrible and nail-biting season. Mid-table feels light years away. We're just not clinical enough for a mid-table finish.

At least a bit of confidence has returned to the side, and you can tell that from the body language. Teams around us will always drop points, but we can't rely on that every week, nor should we be. 

I know our defence looks vulnerable at times, but it's our attacks which then fizzle out which worries me most. Like everyone suddenly freezes. So near yet so far. 

I haven't seen any of the highlights so can't comment on the penalty decision and our being turned down. Was great when Frankie saved theirs though. A nice bit of luck going our way for once. Then they had the goal disallowed, and then their striker missed two virtually identical goalscoring chances from crosses from the right. 

The craziest thing is we dominated the first half and then about 15mins or so of the second, yet they had the better chances, more of them, and so by the last 10mins, I would have bitten your hand off at a point. But this was a game we should have won, comfortably. For me, definitely two points dropped. Expect similar type games away to Rotherham and Huddersfield. 

A quick point about the identikit ground - looks nice, but bland and generic. Great to have a train station within metres. I wonder what came first, the ground or the train station? Their support really was poor. All I could hear from Bolton fans on the way home was them convinced they were going down. Every one I heard said the same thing. Brilliant to hear we took 1200 odd in the end. Think we'd sold 860odd beforehand, so impressive number turning up to pay on the day. Funny that people listening on the radio thought we sounded loud. I actually thought we were fairly subdued. I blame the nerves at the moment. There was usually noise coming from one section, but we rarely all sang together as one. 

And so to the leaders...12.30 start. Hull fans will have to set off at 6? 7am? Bloody TV. 

Condended Version:

I'm bloody frustrated but liked the railway station

Archived