IGNORED

My Thoughts from Bolton Away

Fat Cigar

I won't lie, I came away frustrated, not for the first time this season and it certainly won't be the last time. Within 5 mins you could tell Bolton were there for the taking. They looked a team low on confidence and were barely out of their half in the first 20mins. We dominated everything, won the 50-50s, did what we do best when we're on top. But, it's the same failings: no cutting edge in the final third. Lots of little passes in and around the box, then the ball goes out wide, then back a bit, then out wide, then someone looks like they might shoot but decide against. Repeat over and over. 

We are simply dreadful at set pieces and no one is able to cross the damn ball. People cheer when we win a corner, I sigh. God knows what we were doing with our free kicks yesterday. Must have been the most elaborate plans agreed in training, because when it came to taking them, 6 passes had been completed and no shot offered. Or maybe that was the plan. Very bizarre.

Kodjia had his quietest game, by some distance. He's allowed to. He didn't get much service and there was none of those brilliant runs he makes at defenders. One thing Bolton were good at was defending. They looked composed and well drilled at the back. I don't think they've conceded many at home and you can see why.

No, what was frustrating was that this was clearly a team who we should have beaten. By half-time. Except we created little. As was the case on Tuesday night. So, a change to our early matches in that we're still able to control games but now we've stopped creating chances, which is a real concern.

After 30mins or so, there were already murmurs of dissent and the odd boo from their supporters. And yet we couldn't capitalise. It's pleasing we've now kept 4 clean sheets in 6 games, but the goals have dried up. Yes, our defence isn't the most convincing in the world (although Flint and Baker were very good again), but I'm more concerned by our lack of fire power. 

Agard worked hard again. Thought he was more of a threat than Tuesday and that's a plus. He'll get better as he plays more. But, yesterday gave us a glimpse as to what happens when Kodjia isn't in the game: we have nothing up front.

If none of our midfielders are confident enough to shoot from a decent range, they really should be working hard on that in training. Or their crossing. In short, we just take too much time when near the opposition box. And by then they've re-grouped and our threat has largely subsided. 

I know there's another thread on here saying that that was our most important point this season. Hmm, maybe. If we can't beat a demoralised Bolton side (who themselves struggle to score), then we're going to be languishing in the bottom 6 or 7 all season. Which makes for a horrible and nail-biting season. Mid-table feels light years away. We're just not clinical enough for a mid-table finish.

At least a bit of confidence has returned to the side, and you can tell that from the body language. Teams around us will always drop points, but we can't rely on that every week, nor should we be. 

I know our defence looks vulnerable at times, but it's our attacks which then fizzle out which worries me most. Like everyone suddenly freezes. So near yet so far. 

I haven't seen any of the highlights so can't comment on the penalty decision and our being turned down. Was great when Frankie saved theirs though. A nice bit of luck going our way for once. Then they had the goal disallowed, and then their striker missed two virtually identical goalscoring chances from crosses from the right. 

The craziest thing is we dominated the first half and then about 15mins or so of the second, yet they had the better chances, more of them, and so by the last 10mins, I would have bitten your hand off at a point. But this was a game we should have won, comfortably. For me, definitely two points dropped. Expect similar type games away to Rotherham and Huddersfield. 

A quick point about the identikit ground - looks nice, but bland and generic. Great to have a train station within metres. I wonder what came first, the ground or the train station? Their support really was poor. All I could hear from Bolton fans on the way home was them convinced they were going down. Every one I heard said the same thing. Brilliant to hear we took 1200 odd in the end. Think we'd sold 860odd beforehand, so impressive number turning up to pay on the day. Funny that people listening on the radio thought we sounded loud. I actually thought we were fairly subdued. I blame the nerves at the moment. There was usually noise coming from one section, but we rarely all sang together as one. 

And so to the leaders...12.30 start. Hull fans will have to set off at 6? 7am? Bloody TV. 

Excellent post, mate.

Certainly the game I saw, and share your sentiment that we should have had that game sewn up at half time. With their fans on their backs, the second half should have been very uncomfortable for them.

It seemed difficult to create an atmosphere in that stand.

43 minutes ago, Fat Cigar said:

I won't lie, I came away frustrated, not for the first time this season and it certainly won't be the last time. Within 5 mins you could tell Bolton were there for the taking. They looked a team low on confidence and were barely out of their half in the first 20mins. We dominated everything, won the 50-50s, did what we do best when we're on top. But, it's the same failings: no cutting edge in the final third. Lots of little passes in and around the box, then the ball goes out wide, then back a bit, then out wide, then someone looks like they might shoot but decide against. Repeat over and over. 

We are simply dreadful at set pieces and no one is able to cross the damn ball. People cheer when we win a corner, I sigh. God knows what we were doing with our free kicks yesterday. Must have been the most elaborate plans agreed in training, because when it came to taking them, 6 passes had been completed and no shot offered. Or maybe that was the plan. Very bizarre.

And so to the leaders...12.30 start. Hull fans will have to set off at 6? 7am? Bloody TV. 

Reads like most of our games this season but Senior Lansdown wouldn't to pay the wages for a decent striker....be interesting to see if anything is done during the January window to address the situation,

As for the Hull fans setting off early ...........zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Who cares?

Great post but the simplistic idea from others that yet another striker will solve this problem is missing the point by several miles.

Our midfield is young, inexperienced at this level and contains three players, two of whom have no scoring record at all.

Korey Smith (brilliant and goals aren't his main job) has scored one league goal in five years, Marlon Pack, (even with 1 penalty) has 3 goals in over 90 games for us.

Which brings us to Luke Freeman, who is finding the step up a huge struggle, is clearly not the creative force he was one division down and this is a major reason for what the OP has highlighted.

When allied to a loss of form from Joe Bryan and Mark Little coming back from injury (and of doubtful Championship standard anyway) you can see why a bottom six season is definitely on the cards.

Great to start regularly keeping clean sheets though..

The story of many Bristol City seasons. We rarely score from distance or direct from set pieces. 

Look at our goals over the years - an avalanche of tap-ins and scruffy stuff. 

You're right about the training though. When you look at our set pieces you wonder if they all know what's about to happen or what the objective is. Minus Carey's goal at Palace of course!

1 minute ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Good  well constructed post / summary Fat Cigar

And Graham's points very valid

Kodjia had been suffering from a heavy cold all week but wanted to play so that may (understandably) explain why he wasn't fully firing

Was going to say the same, both good posts.

Again, the thing for me is not to read too much into one game in isolation. If you want to, then a point away from home against a team in the relegation battle with us is a good one.

I know everyone played Tursday too, but for a team adapting to life in The Champ, it may've taken a lot out of us.

1 hour ago, Fat Cigar said:

Kodjia had his quietest game, by some distance. He's allowed to. He didn't get much service and there was none of those brilliant runs he makes at defenders. One thing Bolton were good at was defending. They looked composed and well drilled at the back. I don't think they've conceded many at home and you can see why.

No, what was frustrating was that this was clearly a team who we should have beaten. By half-time. Except we created little. As was the case on Tuesday night. So, a change to our early matches in that we're still able to control games but now we've stopped creating chances, which is a real concern.

After 30mins or so, there were already murmurs of dissent and the odd boo from their supporters. And yet we couldn't capitalise. It's pleasing we've now kept 4 clean sheets in 6 games, but the goals have dried up. Yes, our defence isn't the most convincing in the world (although Flint and Baker were very good again), but I'm more concerned by our lack of fire power. 

Agard worked hard again. Thought he was more of a threat than Tuesday and that's a plus. He'll get better as he plays more. But, yesterday gave us a glimpse as to what happens when Kodjia isn't in the game: we have nothing up front.

If none of our midfielders are confident enough to shoot from a decent range, they really should be working hard on that in training. Or their crossing. In short, we just take too much time when near the opposition box. And by then they've re-grouped and our threat has largely subsided. 

I know there's another thread on here saying that that was our most important point this season. Hmm, maybe. If we can't beat a demoralised Bolton side (who themselves struggle to score), then we're going to be languishing in the bottom 6 or 7 all season. Which makes for a horrible and nail-biting season. Mid-table feels light years away. We're just not clinical enough for a mid-table finish.

At least a bit of confidence has returned to the side, and you can tell that from the body language. Teams around us will always drop points, but we can't rely on that every week, nor should we be. 

I know our defence looks vulnerable at times, but it's our attacks which then fizzle out which worries me most. Like everyone suddenly freezes. So near yet so far. 

I haven't seen any of the highlights so can't comment on the penalty decision and our being turned down. Was great when Frankie saved theirs though. A nice bit of luck going our way for once. Then they had the goal disallowed, and then their striker missed two virtually identical goalscoring chances from crosses from the right. 

The craziest thing is we dominated the first half and then about 15mins or so of the second, yet they had the better chances, more of them, and so by the last 10mins, I would have bitten your hand off at a point. But this was a game we should have won, comfortably. For me, definitely two points dropped. Expect similar type games away to Rotherham and Huddersfield. 

A quick point about the identikit ground - looks nice, but bland and generic. Great to have a train station within metres. I wonder what came first, the ground or the train station? Their support really was poor. All I could hear from Bolton fans on the way home was them convinced they were going down. Every one I heard said the same thing. Brilliant to hear we took 1200 odd in the end. Think we'd sold 860odd beforehand, so impressive number turning up to pay on the day. Funny that people listening on the radio thought we sounded loud. I actually thought we were fairly subdued. I blame the nerves at the moment. There was usually noise coming from one section, but we rarely all sang together as one. 

Thanks for your post . I think you are on the money .

Why ,oh why , did n't Cotts try and sign another  striker in the summer ? ...  He has also spoken of needing a midfielder , where is this midfielder ? Someone in the style of Elliott would be fantastic .

Pack is not the answer from set pièces ,anybody believe that he will score from his free kicks ? ... thought not . I'm not knocking the guy he is a valuable player for us but Beckham he ain't !

Freeman appears badly off the boil at the moment and again his goal return is not brilliant . He plugs away and I hope it comes right for him but frankly he's having a stinker of a season at the moment . Being sent off ,missing sitters and penalties not given for him ,what a contrast to last season .

A very good summary. It's good to see that we have tightened up a bit, although the space that had in our box towards the end was worrying. The free kicks were just something else, could we not just try a shot or a cross for Flint/ Baker? Not too sure on the subs, Yet again just like for like with no thought of changing things slightly. To me, too many of last years team are struggling, we lack quality in key areas, and too little depth. Definitely a case of hoping that there are 3 worse teams than us.

The other point I'd make is, I think we'd nearly all agree JK is a real find and a big big plus for us.

Hes a goalscorer no doubt but

(And I'm not digging at him) he has one focus when he gets the ball within 25 yards of goal and that's to get himself an opportunity to shoot ( That's part of why he's a goalscorer) but I'm not convinced it will be easy to find the right partner for him - not sure he's set up to work with a partner - rarely looks for his partner to see if he's better placed if he has half a chance of a strike on goal.

Comes as a package - guess we can't want / excpect  a goalscorer without accepting there has to be that mentality.

In an ideal world I'd like to see him just to be aware of others at times and with all the stick Wilbs has had this year I do feel that his return has been affected by the fact JK is the type of player he is.

While JK continues to score it's not so much of a problem

13 minutes ago, Chappers said:

A very good summary. It's good to see that we have tightened up a bit, although the space that had in our box towards the end was worrying. The free kicks were just something else, could we not just try a shot or a cross for Flint/ Baker? Not too sure on the subs, Yet again just like for like with no thought of changing things slightly. To me, too many of last years team are struggling, we lack quality in key areas, and too little depth. Definitely a case of hoping that there are 3 worse teams than us.

Rotherham and Bolton ARE worse than us; and will go down IMO.

That will leave one relegation place, with around six clubs (including us), looking to avoid it.

Good analysis that by the OP.

Really odd that the two players who I thought would be ripping up the Championship, Joe and Freeman, are both totally off their game. Seen glimpses of what they can do but no sustained form. As they say though, form is temporary, class is permanent - so would hope both will be raising their games soon. This is where the manager/coaches earn their money.

What I find a little bizarre is Pack. One of the main parts of his armoury, before he signed for us, was his dead ball abilities. Scored numerous times with rocket shot free- kicks. Surely, you don't just lose that ability, but he's just done nothing with us.

Think we just have to accept, after the summer transfer debacle, we grind results out until January. All I can hope is we play the transfer market like we did the 2014 Summer, have our targets lined up and in on week one. If we bugger around like we did in the summer and end up with naff all or panic last minute buys,  I think it's going to be a real nail biter as to whether we avoid slipping back down. 

9 minutes ago, cynic said:

Agree with the very poor dead ball kicks - but who is there to take them other than Pack ? Freeman maybe, he couldn't be any worse. 

Last season Freeman's dead balls, particularly corners, we're very good. Ok, this season they will be better defended, but I don't understand why they are worse kicks.

Was a supporter of FFP when it was introduced.

Seems to me now - assuming that FFP was the reason we didn't get a top quality striker in during the summer - is that it just ensures that those Clubs with parachute payments gain a massive advantage. A 'Premiership protection racket' which will eventually destroy the game.

23 minutes ago, robin4ever said:

Why o why didn't cotts try and sign a striker ????? You really are clueless . ... Answer because SL would not pay the wages !!!!!!!!!!!!!

And you KNOW that do you

And your simplistic answer also implies that wages wise we couldn't afford any available striker

1 hour ago, CotswoldRed said:

The story of many Bristol City seasons. We rarely score from distance or direct from set pieces. 

Look at our goals over the years - an avalanche of tap-ins and scruffy stuff. 

You're right about the training though. When you look at our set pieces you wonder if they all know what's about to happen or what the objective is. Minus Carey's goal at Palace of course!

Last season was completely different. You had great deliver from Pack and Freeman and Flint was popping them in for fun. 

It seems our different tactics for set pieces has changed more this year, yes they are up against better defenders, but we seem to lack the clever routine this season. 

1 hour ago, Drew Peacock said:

Last season Freeman's dead balls, particularly corners, we're very good. Ok, this season they will be better defended, but I don't understand why they are worse kicks.

Second half, Freeman sent over a real killer corner - pacy, 6 yards out, keeper nowhere, Flint (I think) just needed to get there first, but he didn't really attack it. How can it be that with Flint, Baker and Wilbs, we pose no threat in the air, no goals, rarely make the keeper save, rarely head just off target. And we still look vulnerable in the air  at the back, especially yesterday in the second half. 

2 hours ago, Fat Cigar said:

Brilliant post. Anyone who says Bolton were equally as bad are wrong. They were awful, I was very disappointed we couldnt beat them, a good team would have beat them within half hour yesterday.

Not good enough from our perspective.

1 hour ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

The other point I'd make is, I think we'd nearly all agree JK is a real find and a big big plus for us.

(And I'm not digging at him) he has one focus when he gets the ball within 25 yards of goal and that's to get himself an opportunity to shoot ( That's part of why he's a goalscorer) but I'm not convinced it will be easy to find the right partner for him - not sure he's set up to work with a partner - rarely looks for his partner to see if he's better placed if he has half a chance of a strike on goal.

Comes as a package - guess we can't want / excpect  a goalscorer without accepting there has to be that mentality.

In an ideal world I'd like to see him just to be aware of others at times and with all the stick Wilbs has had this year I do feel that his return has been affected by the fact JK is the type of player he is.

Usually agree on your points but not on this one. I think kodjia has been guilty of not shooting when in good positions on occasions in recent games. Wolves this happened a few times when in great positions and he tried to lay it off to someone in a worse position. So can't see how he does not look up for his teammates. And I think wilbs is struggling simply due to his age and the much better standard of this division. Kodjia and agard as a pair I thought looked fantastic against Wolves. Their movement so much better than when wilbs partners kodjia. I think the problem is more our passing game giving teams the time to have their defensive shape to make it harder for us to get the final ball right or space to shoot. With that pace up front, it would be good if we could hit teams on the break more. Often a through ball is on and we keep possession rather than going for that early ball.

12 minutes ago, Jonbristol said:

Usually agree on your points but not on this one. I think kodjia has been guilty of not shooting when in good positions on occasions in recent games. Wolves this happened a few times when in great positions and he tried to lay it off to someone in a worse position. So can't see how he does not look up for his teammates. And I think wilbs is struggling simply due to his age and the much better standard of this division. Kodjia and agard as a pair I thought looked fantastic against Wolves. Their movement so much better than when wilbs partners kodjia. I think the problem is more our passing game giving teams the time to have their defensive shape to make it harder for us to get the final ball right or space to shoot. With that pace up front, it would be good if we could hit teams on the break more. Often a through ball is on and we keep possession rather than going for that early ball.

Some good and fair  points Jon - I wasn't criticising JK, or trying not to , 

As I understand he had his success at Angers as a lone striker and I think at times you can see he thinks as a lone striker - Playing with a partner is something that will improve - it's more a case really of how to utilise JK in the best way right now .

I think he is purely used to being expected to be the cutting edge as a lone striker but SC believes that he would get battered as a lone striker in English Football / Championship which has to be a very valid view.

JK is undoubtedly a talent and it's just finding the very best way of utilising him.

The second striker , if we are playing two up top clearly needs to understand he's primarily there to get the best out of Kodjia and that makes sense

Luckily we have two in Agard and Wilbs who both strike me as the unselfish types so in that regards both can. Add to JK

i wouldn't be getting too hung up n the second strikers goal return this season as long as JK is getting , and dispatching the chances

2 hours ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Spot on. Have said the same before. Needs some awareness of others around him. Good at taking people on, but then overruns the ball. Could do with keeping it simple from time to time.

Archived