IGNORED

Speedway at Ashton Gate....

spudski

....heard something today that totally shocked me.

By all accounts, when the first ideas of refurbishing Ashton Gate before Ashton Vale came to fruition...it had been agreed if 1.5 million could be found by the Speedway consortium, and it was agreed by the council, that Speedway would be incorporated into the facility. Obviously moving the Williams backwards was part of the initial plan.

I questioned the source many times...but he was adamant it was agreed.

Can't believe it myself...but who knows.

12 minutes ago, Southstandoriginal said:

Don't believe a word of it. It would have totally compromised the ground and made no money at all. Eastville was probably the last football ground to have a speedway track added and look what happened to that!

It came from a very reliable source...but even I was stunned and questioned everything...but answers seamed feasible.

As for what happened at Eastville in 78...it was a complete set up....the council had other ideas for that site. There was over 100,000 signatures from around the country to save the Bulldogs...that's unheard of these days.

20 minutes ago, Rich said:

Surely that would have reduced the pitch to a laughable size, somewhat like Eastville was.

Eastville pitch wasn't small....the Speedway track was the second longest to Exeter, which also went around a pitch.

The track was crap...but the attendance was more than what the Gas got...8-10 thousand.

2 minutes ago, CotswoldRed said:

Does it have enough room for a footy pitch inside? 

Nope...but many tracks have incorporated tracks in the past...and many European stadiums incorporate running tracks.

Tbh...I'm not in favour of it.

Too far away for football fans to watch football....and tracks are fitted to find a way around a pitch, rather than made to be a good racing track.

Either way....Bristol had one of the healthiest followings of speedway throughout history...so I can see the idea behind it.

I watched the Bulldogs a few times at Eastville and always had a good following.  It would have been great to see them back in Bristol, but there's no way I could see this being possible at AG.  By the time you've taken into account the width of the track and the curves at each end of the circuit, the new South stand would probably have had to be built on top of the houses in Raynes Road!!!

Considering we can't even enlarge the Atyeo because of the space restrictions in our stadium footprint, it would be really interesting to know what possible way we could have fitted a speedway track round the pitch as well.  The only way for that to happen would have been buying up houses behind one of the end stands and lengthening the stadium.  Even if the Speedway did contribute 1.5m, that would just be a drop in the ocean compared to the costs of bringing them in. 

Really can't see that ever being likely.

7 hours ago, BrizzleRed said:

I watched the Bulldogs a few times at Eastville and always had a good following.  It would have been great to see them back in Bristol, but there's no way I could see this being possible at AG.  By the time you've taken into account the width of the track and the curves at each end of the circuit, the new South stand would probably have had to be built on top of the houses in Raynes Road!!!

Considering we can't even enlarge the Atyeo because of the space restrictions in our stadium footprint, it would be really interesting to know what possible way we could have fitted a speedway track round the pitch as well.  The only way for that to happen would have been buying up houses behind one of the end stands and lengthening the stadium.  Even if the Speedway did contribute 1.5m, that would just be a drop in the ocean compared to the costs of bringing them in. 

Really can't see that ever being likely.

This was part of the initial plans to develop AG...before Ashton Vale, not recently. Williams and East end would have been moved back apparently.

7 hours ago, roe said:

No offence Spudski, but I think you might wanna check where your sources are coming from mate. This isn't the first strange rumour you've posted this season..

He was involved in the consortium to bring Speedway back to Bristol.

Believe me...I questioned it as unbelievable....but he was adamant it was a possible goer.

The consortium apparently couldn't raise the extra cash needed, which was in the Millions.

Various people have tried to bring it back to Bristol....Avonmouth Industrial site was the latest idea....but environmentalists got involved.

21 minutes ago, reddogkev said:

Why doesn't SL buy the Mem and turn this into the Speedway track?  He could improve the ground no end, kick out the riff raff and give the city another decent stadium.

Wonder if Steve could just wake up one morning and decide to buy the Mem on a whim.

That feeling of the morning after when you see your computer on and think "shit, what the hell did I buy last night" :blink::facepalm:

24 minutes ago, reddogkev said:

Why doesn't SL buy the Mem and turn this into the Speedway track?  He could improve the ground no end, kick out the riff raff and give the city another decent stadium.

Wonder if Steve could just wake up one morning and decide to buy the Mem on a whim.

Or turn Ashton Vale into one....with other 'sports' incorporated ;-)

Even if there was ever anything in this wacko idea, it would never have got past the planning committee, for very good reasons ie the noise! The Somerset rebels track is in a field next to a motorway for a reason. I have been as critical of the NIMBYs as anyone during our grounds saga, but feel they would have had a point with this one.

1 hour ago, spudski said:

Various people have tried to bring it back to Bristol....Avonmouth Industrial site was the latest idea....but environmentalists got involved.

Those various people must be on various drugs or variously mad.

Everyone knows nothing new ever gets built in Bristol.

1 hour ago, Southstandoriginal said:

Even if there was ever anything in this wacko idea, it would never have got past the planning committee, for very good reasons ie the noise! The Somerset rebels track is in a field next to a motorway for a reason. I have been as critical of the NIMBYs as anyone during our grounds saga, but feel they would have had a point with this one.

You should check out the new Swindon stadium being built...right in amongst new build houses.

It isn't noisy like it used to be with new silencers and sound fencing.

1 hour ago, Southstandoriginal said:

You beat me to it, that was my first thought when I read this. Wasn't one of the main reasons it was stopped because of the noise. It's all well and good the Mill Stad holding events but once a year is very different to fortnightly. 

Edit: I've just read on further and seen spudski's post, still don't think it will return to The Gate though.

14 minutes ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

The dangers of talking to people ITK in the pub i'm afraid, can anybody actually believe that the wonderful Bristol council and it's wonderful mayor Herr Red Pants, would agree to this in a million years in a residential area.

If you swapped motor bikes for push bikes red trousers would lap it up.

Archived