IGNORED

El Abd

swindon fan

8 minutes ago, swindon fan said:

Hi guys, looks like you're finding your feet in the Championship - big gap between that and L1 for sure.

Your fella El Abd - doing well here, so do you reckon he'd go for a fee in January or could we nick him on a free?

Did you pay anything for him?

Good luck for the rest of the season

Undisclosed fee I think. Reckon you can get him on a free, just to get him off our wage bill. Seems a decent bloke glad he is doing well.

Glad he's doing well for you .

Bit of a mystery as to why it did n't work for him here .

It's rumoured that he fell out with Cotterill but also when he played he did n't exactly cover himself in glory and i believe would have needed an extended run in the team to find his form .

We bought him in on a stupidly long contract , he may be would n't have come here otherwise, but it seems like he does n't figure in the managers plans . 

It's best for all parties to find an agreement so i hope something can be done in January .

• Admin
12 minutes ago, swindon fan said:

Hi guys, looks like you're finding your feet in the Championship - big gap between that and L1 for sure.

Your fella El Abd - doing well here, so do you reckon he'd go for a fee in January or could we nick him on a free?

For a reason that has escaped many of us, his place in the squad has been a mystery this season

Cotts never seemed to want to play him, but equally never seemed to want to release him

Would be VERY surprised if a deal is not done in January - best for all parties involved

1 hour ago, swindon fan said:

Good luck to the bloke, for whatever reason it just didn't work out for him here. Glad he's doing a job for you

I would think a free in January has already been agreed if he's settled there

As for Power, my Swindon mate isn't convinced at all by him - not a fan! The golf club purchase sounds like a good one though, maybe he's gonna come good for you!

Don't get me wrong, El Abd has been poor for City, but in his defence, I'm not sure he played in his favourite position very often if at all for us.

He is a right sided central defender who can play right back.  I recall most of his games for us were left sided centre back, where he appeared to have a huge blind spot over his left shoulder.  Seemed to get caught out over the top behind him, or balls knocked inside him.

I wonder whether he might have performed better on the right side of Karleigh or Nyron in the latter stages of the 13/14 season after Flint got injured v Shrews.

He was certainly a mainstay of the Brighton team, and most thought him an astute signing at the time.  I heard it was around £300k....but no idea of truth in that.

Sometimes it just doesn't work out at a club.

I would think City would be keen to get him off the wage bill, who knows, they might still contribute some if Swimdon take him.

What position, in what formation has he been playing for you?

46 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

He was certainly a mainstay of the Brighton team, and most thought him an astute signing at the time.  I heard it was around £300k....but no idea of truth in that.

No way was it anywhere near the sum you have quoted there.

It was a 5 figure undisclosed fee, believed to be around the £70-90K mark.  

2 hours ago, swindon fan said:

I don't think we could pay you more than around 500k to take him off us !!!

16 minutes ago, Kezman said:

No way was it anywhere near the sum you have quoted there.

It was a 5 figure undisclosed fee, believed to be around the £70-90K mark.  

Plus his wages of £5k + a week over 3.5 years he was a million pound investment in total. Disasterous bit of business but thankfully a rarity in terms of our recent permanent signings. Loan signings are another matter, mind...

Unfortunately he can't go on a free !

If we did sell him for no money, we would have to pay up the remaining 18 months on his contract. The only way he'll go on a free is if he rips up his contract, but why should he when he won't get the same at Swindon.

I expect he'll leave us by mutual termination, with us paying his wages up to the end of the season, then he can sign for Swindon as a free agent and get a signing on fee, and also know he's still got full wages off us until end of this season, so it wouldn't be a surprise to see him take a 2.5 year  deal at Swindon then on lesser money.

20 minutes ago, cottsciderarmy said:

Unfortunately he can't go on a free !

If we did sell him for no money, we would have to pay up the remaining 18 months on his contract. The only way he'll go on a free is if he rips up his contract, but why should he when he won't get the same at Swindon.

I expect he'll leave us by mutual termination, with us paying his wages up to the end of the season, then he can sign for Swindon as a free agent and get a signing on fee, and also know he's still got full wages off us until end of this season, so it wouldn't be a surprise to see him take a 2.5 year  deal at Swindon then on lesser money.

I'm sure there are plenty of ways around this.  We aren't terminating his contract...Swindon could offer £0.01, if that was the case. If clubs agree a fee its down to the player to then agree personal terms.

He may just want to play???  Stranger things have happened with professional footballers!

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

He may just want to play???  Stranger things have happened with professional footballers!

I think he does want to play.

He did so for Bury for most of last season, which was hardly the most attractive of offers whereas we've had several others in the past who would rather sit in our stands for their wages than go elsewhere and play football..

4 hours ago, swindon fan said:

Sounds it could be a goer, then. May depend on what wages he's on with you.

Undecided if Power is a good guy or is in the process of bleeding us dry. The purchase of a golf course to turn into our own training centre could be great or a financial millstone.

Thought it was a mad decision to sack Mark Cooper. Still do. Bought you some great little players on the budget you have.
El Abd can stay with you for as long as he likes, feel sorry for the guy just never worked out well for him here, think he will do a good job for you though.

Cooper had run his race with us. Relationships had broken down, didn't get his move to Sheff Wed and he knew his contract wouldn't be renewed after this season.

Wouldn't imagine Power is the easiest chairman to work under.

For a lot of players it's horses for courses. Certain clubs at certain times suits certain players.

3 hours ago, Davefevs said:

I'm sure there are plenty of ways around this.  We aren't terminating his contract...Swindon could offer £0.01, if that was the case. If clubs agree a fee its down to the player to then agree personal terms.

Again you miss the point. When a club sells a player, the club pays the players contract up, so say Player A is on 5K a week and has 18 months left on his contract, the club would have to pay the player 360K to buy him out his contract, however the way around this, is simple, if a player signs for a new club and his terms are longer than the departing club on the same or more wages, then the move is deemed a good move, so the selling club do not have to pay up a players contract, however should we take no fee for El Abd and Swindon offer him 2K a week, he is within his rights to say to us, I will only sign for Swindon for 18 months on 2K a week, if Bristol City pay me 3K a week for the 18 months. 

Now some clubs may decline this, which is why most players unwanted tend to leave by mutual agreement before finding another club, as this way the club might offer him 6 months wages to tear up his contract, and then he's a free agent. 

So unless Swindon pay him the same as we do for the same duration we would have to pay the difference in contracts.

35 minutes ago, cottsciderarmy said:

Again you miss the point. When a club sells a player, the club pays the players contract up, so say Player A is on 5K a week and has 18 months left on his contract, the club would have to pay the player 360K to buy him out his contract, however the way around this, is simple, if a player signs for a new club and his terms are longer than the departing club on the same or more wages, then the move is deemed a good move, so the selling club do not have to pay up a players contract, however should we take no fee for El Abd and Swindon offer him 2K a week, he is within his rights to say to us, I will only sign for Swindon for 18 months on 2K a week, if Bristol City pay me 3K a week for the 18 months. 

Now some clubs may decline this, which is why most players unwanted tend to leave by mutual agreement before finding another club, as this way the club might offer him 6 months wages to tear up his contract, and then he's a free agent. 

So unless Swindon pay him the same as we do for the same duration we would have to pay the difference in contracts.

Fair enough really, but as there is no way I see him playing again for us, 3k a week is better than having to fork out 5k a week for nothing.

He was pants for us - in clearly not his his best position. Best all round to do a deal that suits all parties, and no reason not to wish him well. Clearly wants to play and respect to him for that.

10 minutes ago, cityexile said:

Fair enough really, but as there is no way I see him playing again for us, 3k a week is better than having to fork out 5k a week for nothing.

He was pants for us - in clearly not his his best position. Best all round to do a deal that suits all parties, and no reason not to wish him well. Clearly wants to play and respect to him for that.

Unless I suppose, he asks for a move which I admit is unlikely but you never know.

1 hour ago, cottsciderarmy said:

I get what you're saying.....I was just trying to make a point that El-Abd might want to play and accept a deal that is less lucrative.  I suppose that's really the mutual termination bit you mentioned but would be massively dependent on what Swindon can offer....which is probably not much....and what City offer too.

El-Abd would lose out on any seasonal contract bonuses should he hand in a transfer request....so that is unlikely to happen also.

Interestingly....What would happen if Swindon offered him 2 1/2 year contract, i.e. A year longer than is?

Archived