IGNORED

Plymouth Argyle - do they still dislike us? And if so, why?

Redminster

POP!

rivals.net

2003/04 season

beating them home and away that season, but choking at home to Brighton cost us 2nd place

That champions banner outside our club shop at 5am

Just like Swindon last year and Cardiff a few years after Plymouth it was all about the time/era

8 hours ago, Bantry Banter said:

Surely it should be Rovers, Rovers, Rovers otherwise why would we call this forum One Team In Bristol? 

Yeah no-one is saying the the Gas aren't rivals but they are local rivals and most of us actually know and (dare I say it?) mates with one or two of them. That fact makes the rivalry far less vibrant to me than the rivalry with Cardiff and Swindon. 

Plymouth are ok. The 'normal' lot are fine. We're their nearest 'big' club, so they look on us as neighbour's. Lot of respect to them to be honest, travel in decent numbers (although obviously not as massive as The Gas) all over the country. Add 2 hours to away trips for you lot 'up country' and you'll realise the effort they put in to following their club.  

Played football with a couple of their 'lads'. We're one amongst several - Cardiff, Luton (?), Sags - they'd look out for. Not any real bitterness though from my experience - 'though The Chery Tree incident riled them a bit. They turn out for us, as our lot do for them.

I hear a good 250 Plymouth turned out to support Torquay the other week in their 'season of need'. Hats off to them for that and, I know, many Gulls fans who previously 'hated' them were greatly appreciative of the gesture.  

If we have any real rivals now Millwall, Cardiff, Gas for me, but nowadays it's all a bit superficial. Swindon not really on the radar for me, somewhere below Plymouth. 

Oh, and Sneyd Park AFC rule The Downs. Remember turning out for them (red and blue half shirts?) and Conham Rangers on many occasions. Happy days. 

9 hours ago, Redminster said:

Reason I ask is that I met a friend of a friend tonight in a pub in Bristol who was pretty aggressive in his dislike for us.

These days I can think of 5 clubs who I give two hoots about above Argyle.

Thoughts?

So did he say why he had an aggressive dislike for us? 

I've been watching City for nearly 35 years and Plymouth have always brought a relatively large following to Ashton Gate. Exeter are their main rivals but we are very much the second choice for their support. I believe Torquay are viewed in a similar way to have we view Yeovil, harmless little cousins.

We also travel in good numbers to Home Park but I would say most City fans would put Argyle below Rovers, Cardiff and Swindon in the hate stakes. Unlike Robbored I have seen crowd trouble between us and them although not on the scale or amount at Bristol derbies, Severnside derbies or matches against Swindon. I am glad so many clubs see as a derby/grudge match, that makes for better crowds and better atmospheres in my opinion.

finally, and stating the obvious, being in the same division and challenging for the same prize makes a massive difference, think City and Cardiff 2001, City and Plymouth 2004, City and Swindon last season and City v Rovers in the 1950s, ok only joking 1980s!

Must admit I can't even stand their f'ing horribly patterned jumpers - Diamonds are for never!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=mens+argyle+jumpers&tag=googhydr-21&index=clothing&hvadid=80520236306&hvpos=1t1&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=1374280116357870901&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=b&hvdev=t&ref=pd_sl_22fot581h_b

....at least their local ho isn't called Irene though...!

Living near Exeter, I have a dislike for those Cornish green boys more than most. And I can see why they have a dislike for us, being so far away from anyone else. Football in Devon is pretty poor and Bristol or B'mouth/Southampton have to be the nearest top 2 division sides geographically?

That said, it's really something of nothing, a lot of people in Exeter don't even count Bristol as West Country! (of course that's idiotic but still)

6 minutes ago, bristol south end said:

Union Street is a lovely place. Has to be one of the worst shopping centres in any place I have seen in the UK. Ivwould rather go yo Newport.  Plymouth is a hole. Some ok places near by. People are friendly thou :-) 

Back in the day, Union Street was one of the roughest places in England :o

Not bothered by Plymouth.  In fact I spent many an enjoyable evening in the pubs and clubs around Union St in the early 90s.  Was quite surprised to be met with graffiti at the away turnstiles many years back of "**** off city scum", didn't let it bother me too much though

For me, you only have to look at attendances when we play certain teams (disregarding any reduced capacity) and for me it can only be Rovers as a true rival

Sure, I dislike plenty for one reason or another but the Gas are the only team I can can claim to despise with every last ounce of my energy - although Swnidon last season came very close

Robbored can zzzzzzz til the cows come home on this one, but, unlike him, I haven't chauffeured a bunch of the inbreds to Wembley and back

Rovers, Swindon, Cardiff. In that order.

Every other team I cant be bothered to dislike. Out of the 3 though the team I would like to go bust is Swindon as they are a meaningless club with big chips on their shoulders. 

Rovers to struggle forever for us to laugh and Cardiff because we need at least 1 rival who are at the same level as us.

I think they see our games as being the battle of the West's biggest clubs so that adds a bit of spice.

I don't think they've got anything against City though. A Plymouth mate said when Rovers went down there a few weeks ago they brought the nastiest set of fans down there since Millwall 10 years ago, so maybe they dislike Rovers more than us now anyway.

First time I went to Plymouth was about 15 years ago, there was trouble then but nothing up to the scale of Cardiff away at the old NP. I'd class them as the same sort of rival as Swindon, as in I don't really care about them unless we're battling each other in the same league.

Rovers are the main rivals although I have more of a hatred for Cardiff than them (just!). Over the years it seems to depend who you're going toe to toe with like millwall, palace. They both stick in the mind

48 minutes ago, red84 said:

First time I went to Plymouth was about 15 years ago, there was trouble then but nothing up to the scale of Cardiff away at the old NP. I'd class them as the same sort of rival as Swindon, as in I don't really care about them unless we're battling each other in the same league.

Rovers are the main rivals although I have more of a hatred for Cardiff than them (just!). Over the years it seems to depend who you're going toe to toe with like millwall, palace. They both stick in the mind

True, but I`ve got a lot more respect for them as a club than Swindon. At least they`ve got a bit of class about them.

16 hours ago, Aizoon said:

Back in the day, Union Street was one of the roughest places in England :o

It still was when I was at uni 13-14 years ago. They need to save the old palace theatre on that road though. Stunning building

17 hours ago, 54-46 said:

Not bothered by Plymouth.  In fact I spent many an enjoyable evening in the pubs and clubs around Union St in the early 90s.  Was quite surprised to be met with graffiti at the away turnstiles many years back of "**** off city scum", didn't let it bother me too much though

For me, you only have to look at attendances when we play certain teams (disregarding any reduced capacity) and for me it can only be Rovers as a true rival

Sure, I dislike plenty for one reason or another but the Gas are the only team I can can claim to despise with every last ounce of my energy - although Swnidon last season came very close

Robbored can zzzzzzz til the cows come home on this one, but, unlike him, I haven't chauffeured a bunch of the inbreds to Wembley and back

Maybe that would be a reference to Exeter City?

I know they previously have draped bedsheets with "welcome to hell scum" scrawled on them over a bridge as you enter Plymouth from the Exeter (east) side.

Anyway I see the Grecians beat them at their place yesterday, happy days!

12 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

Also have to drive along there fairly often at about 6am on various weekdays going to work and always amazes me how many are still falling out of clubs or slumped in doorways even then. How do they do it midweek FFS.

I worked with a young lad who was always really really quiet.  Then first works evening down the pub after he joined he's the life and soul.

Turned out that he was working behind the bar in a nightclub until half four in the morning and then rolling into work for 9am semi-comatose, only waking up as the day went on.

I was impressed; I couldn't do that day-in day-out.  Or at all.

Archived