IGNORED

Cole Skuse Premier League Talent

Donkeeebles

8 hours ago, john from high littleton said:

Well I think Skuse could play in the premiership easily. In fact I would go as far as to say he is in my estimation on a par with Nicky Hunt when it comes to ability! 

The contents of my grandson's nappy is on a par with Nicky Hunt's ability.

Anybody need a good laugh? :clapping::clapping:

On 9/25/2015, 11:57:57, BCFC Jordan said:

Do you not recall the last time we were in the Championship? He didn't exactly shore us up then. I don't think there's much between Pack and Skuse, tbh.

On 9/25/2015, 1:00:29, Esmond Million's Bung said:

Cole Skuse is what he is, look at his stats assists = 0, shots = 0, goals = 0 and he has one yellow card, he is a strong midfielder with a great engine and is great at the simple stuff, Pack offers more going forward but can be caught out defensively but Smith is better than both, IMO.

Would Skuse enhance our squad yes, would he enhance our team I don't believe he would, to fit him in we would have forgo a more attacking threat.

That is my opinion.

51 minutes ago, Collis1 said:

Anybody need a good laugh? :clapping::clapping:

I was neither a fan nor critic of Skuse. If you offered a straight swap for him and Pack, I wouldn't take it because there really isn't much difference between them and Pack is six years younger. I feel Pack is underrated on here.

I am not sure that he is premier league talent but he is certainly an established centre midfielder in the Championship.

I don't understand why so many did not rate him when he was here. He was always our fittest player and came top on speed tests in training, was an engine in midfield and was good enough on the ball to keep things ticking over.

Marlon Pack is not in the same league as Cole Skuse in my opinion. He was a successful attacking midfielder in league two, who was our reserve centre midfielder last season until Wade Elliott's form dropped. He has converted reasonably well into a holding midfielder and has done a good job for us in the circumstances. However, he often wants too much time on the ball, makes poor decisions under pressure and gives the ball away in dangerous areas. As a reserve in the Championship he would be fine but he is not a week in week out starter. Cole Skuse is a much better footballer than Marlon Pack.

26 minutes ago, super_scotty_murray said:

Cole Skuse is a much better footballer than Marlon Pack.

You'd hope he would be with an extra 5 years experience all played at this level. But as @super_scotty_murray said, once/if Pack has the benefit of the same experiences (and time) I do not believe it is beyond him to become a better player than Skuse is today.

2 hours ago, BCFC Jordan said:

I was neither a fan nor critic of Skuse. If you offered a straight swap for him and Pack, I wouldn't take it because there really isn't much difference between them and Pack is six years younger. I feel Pack is underrated on here.

Pack isn't underrated IMO. I don't think he will ever be good enough for the Championship and I am not sure why SC is persisting with him.

Skuse was better than Pack at the same age so your argument seems a bit ridiculous to me.

I am always pessimistic about players returning to the same club so I wouldn't say I want Skuse back.  But if I was any other Championship manager I would take Skuse over Pack every day of the week - even with the age gap.

You are literally taking about a completely different caliber and level of player.

12 minutes ago, Collis1 said:

Pack isn't underrated IMO. I don't think he will ever be good enough for the Championship and I am not sure why SC is persisting with him.

Skuse was better than Pack at the same age so your argument seems a bit ridiculous to me.

I am always pessimistic about players returning to the same club so I wouldn't say I want Skuse back.  But if I was any other Championship manager I would take Skuse over Pack every day of the week - even with the age gap.

You are literally taking about a completely different caliber and level of player.

Jesus likes this. 

We are all entitled to our views but this thread is an example of the entrenched views which some people will continue to have in the face of all the available evidence.

Skuse was an automatic choice for all of the 5 or 6 managers he played under at City - except Gar Johnson of course wonder why - and has gone on to be an automatic choice at a team which narrowly missed out on Championship play offs last season and are challenging again this.

I suppose it is possible that none of those managers have a clue about what makes an effective footballer.

As for Marlon Pack, he is in my view a quality footballer but prone to making mistakes and lacking in pace, and hence not as good as Skuse, but nevertheless do not forget he was an integral part of a team which won its league at a canter last season and still worthy of his place this.

Pack is underrated. Short memories fans have. He entered a team (one match too late) after Colchester game 2-3 and shored us up defensively. Before that we had lost 2 in a row for the first time in the season. Had conceded 6 goals in 2 matches and lost both games. the team never lost again after he replaced Elliot. That is not a coincidence. I have watched virtually every game this season and would say it is Freeman rather than him that has struggled to make the step up, Other than second half on Saturday and against Reading he has been consistent, although like the rest of the midfield he makes the occasional mistake.

10 minutes ago, redfieldred said:

Pack is underrated. Short memories fans have. He entered a team (one match too late) after Colchester game 2-3 and shored us up defensively. Before that we had lost 2 in a row for the first time in the season. Had conceded 6 goals in 2 matches and lost both games. the team never lost again after he replaced Elliot. That is not a coincidence. I have watched virtually every game this season and would say it is Freeman rather than him that has struggled to make the step up, Other than second half on Saturday and against Reading he has been consistent, although like the rest of the midfield he makes the occasional mistake.

First few games of the season he was woeful. Kept trying that long pass out to Fredericks that got picked off every time. He's cut that out of his game though. Uses it once or twice but now gets there because it's not happening every time. So credit to him. 

Now that he's cut those out and stays a bit deeper because of his lack of pace, he's been much better. He plays it much quicker now as well for the most part. Doesn't get caught on the ball as much. Wins most headers of goal kicks and keeper kicks. If you don't think it's important, the Hull goal was from one of these that he didn't win but it lets Flint, Ayling and Baker play deeper as they aren't looked at to win it and can focus on defending. 

Could we improve on Pack? No doubt but it'll cost quite a bit I would think. For this year, Pack is ok. Think it's more pressing to get Freeman going or replace him as otherwise we are asking Kodjia and Agard/Wilbs to score every goal. Pack and Smith rarely get closer than 30 yards from goal. Williams plays deeper than Joe would. That leaves Bennett, Kodjia, Agard and Freeman to score against championship defenses and midfields. We can't afford Freeman to be so poor. So yea, think Freeman would go before Pack.

22 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

First few games of the season he was woeful. Kept trying that long pass out to Fredericks that got picked off every time. He's cut that out of his game though. Uses it once or twice but now gets there because it's not happening every time. So credit to him. 

Now that he's cut those out and stays a bit deeper because of his lack of pace, he's been much better. He plays it much quicker now as well for the most part. Doesn't get caught on the ball as much. Wins most headers of goal kicks and keeper kicks. If you don't think it's important, the Hull goal was from one of these that he didn't win but it lets Flint, Ayling and Baker play deeper as they aren't looked at to win it and can focus on defending. 

Could we improve on Pack? No doubt but it'll cost quite a bit I would think. For this year, Pack is ok. Think it's more pressing to get Freeman going or replace him as otherwise we are asking Kodjia and Agard/Wilbs to score every goal. Pack and Smith rarely get closer than 30 yards from goal. Williams plays deeper than Joe would. That leaves Bennett, Kodjia, Agard and Freeman to score against championship defenses and midfields. We can't afford Freeman to be so poor. So yea, think Freeman would go before Pack.

I can assure you, that trying that type of pass would have been under Instruction from the manager.

If he did that type of thing without being told to, he would have had his head ripped off by him...but he didn't, and continued.

We've tightened up all over the field...and I believe that is because the manager has seen the error of his ways, and instructed the team to play slightly less open.

Players often look bad, because they are asked to do things by the manager.

It's worth remembering footballers now play under intense scrutiny...and if they start doing things that aren't instructed and continue doing so, they are soon dropped.

16 minutes ago, spudski said:

I can assure you, that trying that type of pass would have been under Instruction from the manager.

If he did that type of thing without being told to, he would have had his head ripped off by him...but he didn't, and continued.

We've tightened up all over the field...and I believe that is because the manager has seen the error of his ways, and instructed the team to play slightly less open.

Players often look bad, because they are asked to do things by the manager.

It's worth remembering footballers now play under intense scrutiny...and if they start doing things that aren't instructed and continue doing so, they are soon dropped.

I don't doubt he was asked. Either way, he's looked much better under his new instructions and/or recently. It's not all about pace in this league. Huddlestone and Livermore aren't the quickest or flashiest but they controlled play. Pack is in a similar mould albeit less talented. He has a lot of responsibility by starting most of our build ups. He's not perfect but he's settling quite well. 

Archived