IGNORED

Pack bashers- what's up with them.

redfieldred

23 minutes ago, RobintheRed Red said:

Because he only passes sideways and backwards in a fie yard comfort zone that midfield will get us relagated

There is a group on the forum who constantly complain about him attempting long passes, some of which are over hit. It seems as though the problem is he makes short and long passes! Not sure what he can do to overcome this. 

I've been a great supporter of Pack and feel he gets harshly treated but yesterday he was dreadful ! Trouble is that this club always have a boo boy but many more like that will make it easier for people who were openly abusing him yesterday. That said there isn't a thread on Ayling who gave the worst performance I've ever seen him give and in my opinion there's not one player who emerged with any credit

4 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

There is a group on the forum who constantly complain about him attempting long passes, some of which are over hit. It seems as though the problem is he makes short and long passes! Not sure what he can do to overcome this. 

He's obviously being instructed to play those passes, there's a reason why it's usually him and not Smith or Freeman playing them, people don't seem to grasp he's under instruction.

5 minutes ago, Shuffle said:

I've been a great supporter of Pack and feel he gets harshly treated but yesterday he was dreadful ! Trouble is that this club always have a boo boy but many more like that will make it easier for people who were openly abusing him yesterday. That said there isn't a thread on Ayling who gave the worst performance I've ever seen him give and in my opinion there's not one player who emerged with any credit

Very true williams pack ayling an freeman were poor

11 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Our supporters just don't seem to like players like him. People like LJ and Skuse were treated similarly. If Skuse wasn't an academy product the abuse would be worse.

Wonder why the dislike for that sort of player? Ok, not the most exciting to watch, but it's an important role.

I think a lot of people don't realise he's playing in role defined by Cotts - i e just in front of the back 3. In his interviews Cotts has mentioned this at various points during the season. There are some who want Pack replaced by Bobby Reid, but they forget Reid is not a defensive midfield player. If he replaced Pack, the attacking options would probably improve, but defensively City would probably be worse. Swings and roundabouts. A better option is to sign a better defensive midfield player to replace pack in January (if we can survive that long) 

6 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

I think a lot of people don't realise he's playing in role defined by Cotts - i e just in front of the back 3. In his interviews Cotts has mentioned this at various points during the season. There are some who want Pack replaced by Bobby Reid, but they forget Reid is not a defensive midfield player. If he replaced Pack, the attacking options would probably improve, but defensively City would probably be worse. Swings and roundabouts. A better option is to sign a better defensive midfield player to replace pack in January (if we can survive that long) 

Amazes me how many people believe Reid could slot in for pack. Our midfield height would be tiny and we wouldn't win many balls in the air in midfield which Pack does a lot. Reid is simply not a defensive midfielder, people forget Reid was pretty poor when he sat deeper vs MK and contributed to our poor performance in that second half. Reid can only play in the Freeman role right now, and I think he's got a good case to be genuine competition.

If we are to strengthen the defensive section of our midfield, Reid isn't the answer.

Anyone suggesting he has been great since Fulham clearly didn't see him at Bolton. I can understand why there's a mixed opinion, people buy their tickets for entertainment, they want excitement. Creativity. Pack might be an unsung hero but in the world of football a lot of fans crave heroes. They want to be off their seats watching players with flair. If people want to slag him off on here, let them do it, I doubt pack is sat at home reading through the forums. He's probably getting noshed off by a smoking wife in the back of his Bentley. Now that he is suspended for the next game we shall see the impact it has. 

1 minute ago, UncleAlbert said:

Anyone suggesting he has been great since Fulham clearly didn't see him at Bolton. I can understand why there's a mixed opinion, people buy their tickets for entertainment, they want excitement. Creativity. Pack might be an unsung hero but in the world of football a lot of fans crave heroes. They want to be off their seats watching players with flair. If people want to slag him off on here, let them do it, I doubt pack is sat at home reading through the forums. He's probably getting noshed off by a smoking wife in the back of his Bentley. Now that he is suspended for the next game we shall see the impact it has. 

Without players doing the less glamorous stuff, the flair players can't shine. The double standards are amusing too, if Pack loses the ball it's groans everywhere whereas if it's other players it's not the same treatment. People moan if we pass backwards but keep possession which is strange too.

40 minutes ago, robin_unreliant said:

Korey Smith is our ' decent holding midfielder' and IMO better than Marlon. We need someone who creates and scores goals in midfield. Neither Pack or Freeman is giving us that this year. Both need to improve or be replaced.

Last season 1-3 Sheffield smith holding mid without pack, 2-3 colchester, without pack. With pack unbeaten after Colchester for the rest of the season 16 games.  The truth is he isn't as bad as people make out. He wins the ball in the air a lot, which freeman and smith can't for obvious height reasons, he can be direct and often does a direct through ball to an attacking player. He doesn't always pass back or sideways. Against wolves he did 3 or 4 passes through to Kodjia and agard, then the minute he did s backwards pass a bloke in the crowd shouted 'bloody hell pack you always go backward.' Baffling and extremely innacurate. 

3 minutes ago, Ohbasso said:

I definitely think we need another centre midfielder in the transfer window who's an upgrade on Pack. 

That said the people who are happy he's suspended must be stupid because as said above we have no one in the squad that can play the same position as him.

That's it, we need better quality there and a bit of experience. We don't have the cover in the squad for inevitable suspensions and injuries let alone improvement on what we already have. 5ft 8", 11 stone Bobby Reid as our defensive mid just isn't the answer.

Wouldnt be that surprised to see Wagstaff given a go there, our cover is that thin.

38 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Our supporters just don't seem to like players like him. People like LJ and Skuse were treated similarly. If Skuse wasn't an academy product the abuse would be worse.

Wonder why the dislike for that sort of player? Ok, not the most exciting to watch, but it's an important role.

And Dave Rennie going back further.

Agree we need another holding midfielder, but just for depth. Have seen nothing before yesterday to suggest that this is where we are weak. Our problem is linking midfield to attack. That involves an attacking midfielder who can do a first time ball or dribble past defenders. That is not freeman Bobby Reid possibly. 

I am one of those that really does not rate Pack. I do want him to succeed though, obviously. I don't think there are fans that want him to fail as why would anyone want that? I think he was awful against Hull. And although I have only seen 3 away games and all the home games, I have only seen him get what i'd call a 7 out of 10 twice this season. He cannot control the ball which is a bit of a problem for a midfielder. But that could be forgiven if he was a ball winning midfielder but he just cannot read the game defensively and is far too slow to win 50 50s. His poor touch means he cannot show the ball to the opposition like Smith and Freeman can. Those two can have a player on them and not turn back and panic, but Pack just turns round and plays it back to Flint or the other centre backs time and time again, which is one of the reasons for us building attacks too slowly. He offers very little when he gets forward, and his long range passing is very poor. He is good in the air though.

2 minutes ago, Jonbristol said:

I am one of those that really does not rate Pack. I do want him to succeed though, obviously. I don't think there are fans that want him to fail as why would anyone want that? I think he was awful against Hull. And although I have only seen 3 away games and all the home games, I have only seen him get what i'd call a 7 out of 10 twice this season. He cannot control the ball which is a bit of a problem for a midfielder. But that could be forgiven if he was a ball winning midfielder but he just cannot read the game defensively and is far too slow to win 50 50s. His poor touch means he cannot show the ball to the opposition like Smith and Freeman can. Those two can have a player on them and not turn back and panic, but Pack just turns round and plays it back to Flint or the other centre backs time and time again, which is one of the reasons for us building attacks too slowly. He offers very little when he gets forward, and his long range passing is very poor. He is good in the air though.

There are always fans that want players or managers to fail so they can be vindicated. 

Ahh right, well maybe. Can't see how a fan could be cheering on their team whilst wanting one of their own players to have a bad game. And to want managers to fail is even more bizarre. 

Unfortunately I just think, and it hurts to say it, our team just isn't quite good enough. I don't think we can isolate it to individuals only. Overall we just aren't quite there. I'm confident we've just about got enough not to go down but sometimes you've just got to accept that we simply just aren't there as a whole team. The defence makes mistakes, the strikers and midfielders have missed numerous chances to change games this season. 

10 minutes ago, Jonbristol said:

Hang on Freemans been losing the ball far more than pack. Smith too was caught in possession all the time in the last two home games. smith appears to be above any criticism like freeman until his poor play became too obvious to ignore, but to project all the faults of a midfield onto one player is one eyed in the extreme. City fans always seem to do it though, skuse springs to mind. Not good enough for a failing city side but good enough for a successful Ipswich. 

Archived