IGNORED

Agents fees

Ohbasso

Agents are bad for the game. Seen as we (basically) only signed one player it seems £230k is quite a bit but I assume loans and re signings also use agents?

Can anyone be an agent? If I could convince a player that (for any reason) it was a good idea to say I was an agent would a club signing that player have to give me a massive wedge of cash?

seems like its ripe to be used or abused as a tax dodge.

1 hour ago, Pezo said:

Agents are bad for the game. Seen as we (basically) only signed one player it seems £230k is quite a bit but I assume loans and re signings also use agents?

Can anyone be an agent? If I could convince a player that (for any reason) it was a good idea to say I was an agent would a club signing that player have to give me a massive wedge of cash?

seems like its ripe to be used or abused as a tax dodge.

Wasn't it from last season?

Agents are used in many forms of business I don't understand the anger towards them. 

When fans started to demand better and more expensive players that's when they came in. Anyone with a niche skill set that commands good money would be an idiot not to have some form of representation. 

We could choose not to pay these fees, but then we'd shopping in basement. 

8 hours ago, CITYAREREDANDWHITE said:

Wasn't it from last season?

I did wonder but it's us in the championship so I thought it might be the summer. I guess there are a number of different ways it could break down such as financial year, calendar year, summer transfer window open or close ect.

8 hours ago, WolfOfWestStreet said:

Agents are used in many forms of business I don't understand the anger towards them. 

When fans started to demand better and more expensive players that's when they came in. Anyone with a niche skill set that commands good money would be an idiot not to have some form of representation. 

That's the rub isn't it? The more you shell out to these para...err agents, the more the players fee is inflated, what you have here is a another example of greed greed greed in football, it start at the top with FIFA and all the way down to the fans, it's the fans that pay for this in the long run, with the huge hike in costs in going to what was a working man's game that was enjoyed by thousands after a weeks work, it's now fast becoming a wealthy mans sport, and we wonder why there is a lack of atmosphere in stadiums? 

Stop press!! Chinese consortium now own a chunk of Man Citeh, ,Chinese know how to rip off folk don't they?

And the reason England will never win a major trophy again.

11 hours ago, WolfOfWestStreet said:

When fans started to demand better and more expensive players that's when they came in. 

Well we demanded the first, not the second! 

The more expensive players came as a result of Sky money sloshing about, billionaire club owners not seeking a financial return, and the rise of agents.

If all clubs passed a resolution only to negotiate with the players themselves face-to-face we'd be able to get rid of them from the game, .but let's face it, that's never going to happen so we just have to live with their fees.

12 hours ago, WolfOfWestStreet said:

I agree wholeheartedly. The role of an agent should be positive, both for players and clubs... and lets not forget agent's can represent clubs and it is even permissible for them to act for both parties in a transfer akin to a middleman.

Sure there are unscrupulous individuals out there but I don't think a lot of people appreciate what the role entails. Contract negotiations and transfers really are the thin edge of the wedge. Dealing with prima donna's who don't know their arse from their elbow is another. Take Jack Grealish, his agent you'd think would be over him like a fly on crap at the moment trying to get him to see the errors of his ways, smooth things over with the club, arranging for good PR opportunities etc.

And in terms of their fees sure they are massive but don't forget the risk agents carry. If you're negotiating multi million pound deals you are potentially carrying multi million pounds of risk in respect of professional indemnity. I know there's no way I'd personally ever consider carrying that sort of risk for a fee in the region of thousands of pounds.

53 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

Well we demanded the first, not the second! 

The more expensive players came as a result of Sky money sloshing about, billionaire club owners not seeking a financial return, and the rise of agents.

If all clubs passed a resolution only to negotiate with the players themselves face-to-face we'd be able to get rid of them from the game, .but let's face it, that's never going to happen so we just have to live with their fees.

Absolutely RR, sadly most players view agents like another fashion accessory like the ballet shoes that they wear masquerading as football or the bad haircuts.

The worst knock on is clubs no longer need to poach players a la Ashley Cole, the agents do that.

Agents and brain dead footballers are best summed up by the story about Robinho who signed for manc on deadline day and had to ask his agent "who have I signed for?".

11 minutes ago, 29AR said:

I agree wholeheartedly. The role of an agent should be positive, both for players and clubs... and lets not forget agent's can represent clubs and it is even permissible for them to act for both parties in a transfer akin to a middleman.

Sure there are unscrupulous individuals out there but I don't think a lot of people appreciate what the role entails. Contract negotiations and transfers really are the thin edge of the wedge. Dealing with prima donna's who don't know their arse from their elbow is another. Take Jack Grealish, his agent you'd think would be over him like a fly on crap at the moment trying to get him to see the errors of his ways, smooth things over with the club, arranging for good PR opportunities etc.

And in terms of their fees sure they are massive but don't forget the risk agents carry. If you're negotiating multi million pound deals you are potentially carrying multi million pounds of risk in respect of professional indemnity. I know there's no way I'd personally ever consider carrying that sort of risk for a fee in the region of thousands of pounds.

Excellent post. 

Actors, singers, movie stars all have agents. Highly skilled professionals and consultants will have an agent.

Basically if both parties (employers and service providers) could arrange an employment contract without the need for an agent they would, but they can't, so they do.

1 minute ago, WolfOfWestStreet said:

Excellent post. 

Actors, singers, movie stars all have agents. Highly skilled professionals and consultants will have an agent.

Basically if both parties (employers and service providers) could arrange an employment contract without the need for an agent they would, but they can't, so they do.

Well they did in the past,  Wolfie. 

Most "highly skilled niche professionals" actually negotiate their own contracts. The comparison with actors doesn't really hold, as theatrical agents act largely like employment exchanges for a largely unemployed clientele. 

However,  I do agree with you on your main point: the genie is out of the bottle now, and clubs just have to accept agents and find the best way of working with them.

52 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

Most "highly skilled niche professionals" actually negotiate their own contracts. The comparison with actors doesn't really hold, as theatrical agents act largely like employment exchanges for a largely unemployed clientele. 

However,  I do agree with you on your main point: the genie is out of the bottle now, and clubs just have to accept agents and find the best way of working with them.

My personal experiences are the opposite. I find the highly skilled professionals are more likely to use a recruitment consultant to negotiate salary/benefits etc.

6 minutes ago, 29AR said:

My personal experiences are the opposite. I find the highly skilled professionals are more likely to use a recruitment consultant to negotiate salary/benefits etc.

Not in the two industries I operate in, but that's neither here nor there.

Nicky Hunt had an agent too ;-)

2 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

I know they did in the past but the value of these contracts has changed significantly. 

Nobby the dustman playing on the 50s didn't have image rights, buyout clauses, goal/win bonuses, merchandise sales, promotion/relegation clauses to negotiate.

I have a degree but I'd find it hard to negotiate a million pound contract,  a lot of footballers think a GCSE is something you catch after a four way with some tart so doubt they would be able to get the deal that's in their best interest. 

As you say, it's part and parcel these days and clubs need to be more business savvy by building better agreements with agents.

14 hours ago, TETBURY MASSIVE said:

Whats @spudski take on this topic??

I think there have been some good explanations on here mate, as to why Agents are used in all walks of life.

Probably the most hated figures in sport, but used in Recruiting, selling houses and all forms of Industry.

What people fail to realise, for every dodgy agent, there is a dodgy manager doing deals with them.

Managers like to use certain 'contacts' and often stick with them. Not always a good thing.

Football imho, even though big business, has it's fair share of 'Second hand car deals' for want of a better explanation.

9 hours ago, Ashtonboy said:

Must be on holiday. Couldn't believe he didn't fill his boots after last Saturday!

Didn't think we'd beat Rotherham mate, so it came as no surprise.

Those type of results are to be expected with the quality and size of squad imho...just as pulling out a few good wins here and there...it's going to be one o those types of seasons I feel.

Archived