IGNORED

Belief

ChippenhamRed

http://mobile.bcfc.co.uk//news/article/all-about-belief-wilbraham-2839928.aspx

"Aaron Wilbraham insists belief is all that stands between City and a surge up the Sky Bet Championship table."

What an absolute load of crap. If the squad didn't have "belief" at the start of the season after everything they achieved last year, where are they suddenly going to find it from now after learning the harsh reality of life in the Championship?

Articles like this wind me up. Just pure hot air that treats us the supporters as if we're stupid. Empty, meaningless words. It's not "belief" that's going to move us up the table, it's significant investment in a threadbare squad to improve the quality and quantity of players at our disposal. If they really think it's only "belief" that's missing, then does that mean we won't be signing anyone in January?

6 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

"Aaron Wilbraham insists belief is all that stands between City and a surge up the Sky Bet Championship table."

What an absolute load of crap. If the squad didn't have "belief" at the start of the season after everything they achieved last year, where are they suddenly going to find it from now after learning the harsh reality of life in the Championship?

Said it many times before - the belief was drained from the club after the summer debacle and losing key squad members that were important to the club's team spirit. Failure to replace them put the club on a negative slant even before the season started.

It's not like last time we were in the Championship, I don't think we have many bad players. They just haven't been given enough support and we're dealing with a squad worse than the one we had in L1.

I think the players have belief in their ability and know they as Individuals have quality.

I think they are doubting the system and the managers own stubborn belief that it will work in this league.

Wilbs talks about cutting out mistakes...it's not individual mistakes...it's mistakes that come about because of the system, and pressure certain areas of the pitch come under.

Every team that has come to play against us, has probed the area between the back three and wing backs...as it's our biggest weakness.

Change the system and I think we could improve our results.

Change the manager and system and add some quality...and maybe we might start to get somewhere...just my opinion of course.

With respect to Wilbs, he's just repeating what SC said on Saturday.

"We were in complete control of the game" - we were pretty dreadful actually, significantly worse than we started games earlier in the season when we were at least creating chances.

"Not making excuses but bad refereeing is costing us" - their pen was a pen on Saturday and Baker deserved to be sent off.

34 minutes ago, Donkeeebles said:

Rarely read or listen to interviews as most of the time they're playing lip service so haven't bothered reading this one either.

However I personally believe the mental side of the game is as important as the physical so I don't think it's a load of crap at all.

Would you rather we signed Messi, or for Wilbraham to "believe" that he can be as good as Messi?

I don't doubt the importance of the mental side of the game, but our current league position has an awful lot more to do with the footballing talent of our playing squad than it does "belief", whatever that actually means.

SC has been banging on about players believing in themselves since day one.

Even saying it takes about 15 games to judge where we are.

Well...we are still talking about players having 'belief' 19 games in.

Second worst goals conceded....only 5 teams in double figures conceded....and second worst win record. Only 3 wins all season. 19% win rate.

Player for player...we don't look bad in this league. Easily lower mid table. I'm convinced it's the system we are playing. Too easy to score against us.

As a player....they must look around at all the other teams and see them not playing like us. They must wonder why?

Imho....it's the players not believing and convinced in the system.

59 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Would you rather we signed Messi, or for Wilbraham to "believe" that he can be as good as Messi?

I don't doubt the importance of the mental side of the game, but our current league position has an awful lot more to do with the footballing talent of our playing squad than it does "belief", whatever that actually means.

Are we in contention to sign Messi then? 

Dont agree. I Think we have plenty of football talent (with a few exceptions)

17 minutes ago, Donkeeebles said:

Are we in contention to sign Messi then? 

Dont agree. I Think we have plenty of football talent (with a few exceptions)

Fair enough and each to their own, but if I had to choose between more "belief", or three quality additions to the squad in January, I know which I'd choose.

12 hours ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Articles like this wind me up. Just pure hot air that treats us the supporters as if we're stupid. Empty, meaningless words. It's not "belief" that's going to move us up the table, it's significant investment in a threadbare squad to improve the quality and quantity of players at our disposal. If they really think it's only "belief" that's missing, then does that mean we won't be signing anyone in January?

Were likely not making more mistakes than last season.players are,of course of a far higher standard(opposition) and are capable of punishing mistakes made-and making use of holes left by how we set up..transfer widow make or break for sure,but hoping that won't lead to panic and the wrong types for stupid money coming in..

Can't stand all this BS that comes out of AG before and after a match, had SC bigging up Rhodes before Saturday, sort of writing his Insurance policy when the inevitable happens, and happens it does every week, week in week out, and yet the real reason is the squad is not fit for purpose at all, too small and just a few players good enough for the league. Wilbs is SC mate, again he is buying him time, because at any time soon we will be surging up the league, because all we need is belief. I mean what a load of Cottswallop, we plainly are not good enough, and we did not strengthen, what about some honesty BCFC,instead of spin?

Then I might feel the need to actually BELIEVE!!

13 hours ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Possibly, but hey the squad is good enough, and we will be surging up the league by Easter.

9 hours ago, spudski said:

SC has been banging on about players believing in themselves since day one.

Even saying it takes about 15 games to judge where we are.

Well...we are still talking about players having 'belief' 19 games in.

Second worst goals conceded....only 5 teams in double figures conceded....and second worst win record. Only 3 wins all season. 19% win rate.

Player for player...we don't look bad in this league. Easily lower mid table. I'm convinced it's the system we are playing. Too easy to score against us.

As a player....they must look around at all the other teams and see them not playing like us. They must wonder why?

Imho....it's the players not believing and convinced in the system.

I do agree, it's not as if they aren't trying but do we have any players in the squad in order to change the system now? It's not working. 

Sorry, I'm a broken record…it's been done to death…there's not really much more to say…but will SC bring in players in January to continue with the current system or bring in players in order to facilitate a change?

I personally hope the players do carry on believing. And we are able to crack the art of winning with our 3-5-2 formation - because I enjoy the style of football Cotterill has given us up til now.

Everyone wishing for Gary Megson to come in and convert us to playing longball in a 4-5-1 is your typical Bristolian. Backwards thinking.

12 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

With respect to Wilbs, he's just repeating what SC said on Saturday.

"We were in complete control of the game" - we were pretty dreadful actually, significantly worse than we started games earlier in the season when we were at least creating chances.

"Not making excuses but bad refereeing is costing us" - their pen was a pen on Saturday and Baker deserved to be sent off.

Yes the former is more than a little rose-tinted but I don't think we were "dreadful" before the sending off. We did create chances and there were some deft moves. Dreadful is the first half v Fulham or the second half v MK Dons. 

Agree with what you say on the latter point, but I've rarely seen a more blatant penalty shout ignored than ours in that match. If the ref hadn't bottled it who knows how the game might have developed? 

1 hour ago, Red-Robbo said:

Yes the former is more than a little rose-tinted but I don't think we were "dreadful" before the sending off. We did create chances and there were some deft moves. Dreadful is the first half v Fulham or the second half v MK Dons. 

Agree with what you say on the latter point, but I've rarely seen a more blatant penalty shout ignored than ours in that match. If the ref hadn't bottled it who knows how the game might have developed? 

I wasn't there to see the game due to illness so can't comment specifically.  However, I hate the way refs (seemingly for us) seem to think a penalty decision has different rules when compared to a conventional foul.  Its the same thing ffs.

2 minutes ago, hortonred said:

I would expect him to say very little and perform more on the pitch. The time for tripe like this over. Do the talking on the pitch.

Right. So they should do no media interviews or any features at all until we're winning every week again. Sorted.

8 minutes ago, roe said:

Right. So they should do no media interviews or any features at all until we're winning every week again. Sorted.

I'm not sure that's what people think. What people dislike, though, is regurgitated language that means naff-all, especially when it's intangible.  If he says we are working on set-pieces this week and analysing this and that then there is more substance to it.

Modern sports interviews are just too polished, yet utterly predictable and painfully vague.  Dare I say, 'like a politician'.

5 minutes ago, roe said:

Or just not talk absolute rowlocks.  SC shouldn't put the players in that position at the moment, he should come out and say he has a plan B.

16 minutes ago, CotswoldRed said:

I'm not sure that's what people think. What people dislike, though, is regurgitated language that means naff-all, especially when it's intangible.  If he says we are working on set-pieces this week and analysing this and that then there is more substance to it.

Modern sports interviews are just too polished, yet utterly predictable and painfully vague.  Dare I say, 'like a politician'.

Absolutely spot on Cotswold - exactly what I was getting at.  Vague, clichéd soundbites than mean nothing at all.

13 hours ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Fair enough and each to their own, but if I had to choose between more "belief", or three quality additions to the squad in January, I know which I'd choose.

I didn't realise that was the choice. I'd love 3 quality additions to our squad but that has nothing to do with what I'm saying about our current players. I personally feel we have some very good players who aren't playing to their full potential at the moment,call it lack of belief,lack of confidence either way I feel it's that that is what's holding them back rather than lack of talent so I think there is some substance to what they're saying.

What many on OTIB want Wilbs to say in his interview is " the players have no belief and confidence in the manager or his 3-5-2 system and think we should immediately revert to 4-4-2. We are also mortified, and feel that our whole season was ruined, by the shambolic summer transfer activity ( or lack thereof) because we all recognise that at this level we need reinforcements up front, in midfield , in defence and a new goalie for good measure, because we know that the team that won league 1 last season, of which we were all a part, would not be good enough to compete and hold our own in the championship."

All there naysayers would be proved correct , equilibrium would be restored to the universe and we could look forward to a Happy Christmas, a prosperous 2016 and peace in all the world.

Proper job I reckon.

Archived