IGNORED

Father Lansdown

mattjtsmith

I just keep wondering what Father Lansdown is going to bring us for new year. I am sure that they will have been planning for this since the window closed in september and they will be determined to make up some ground that we lost then. 

Are we going to hear more of the old "we're waiting for the right player", or will we have 4 done deals roll in on Jan 1st. Please let it be the latter!!!

I think (and hope) the latter but possibly not on the 1st:drunk2::ill:

12 minutes ago, mattjtsmith said:

I just keep wondering what Father Lansdown is going to bring us for new year. I am sure that they will have been planning for this since the window closed in september and they will be determined to make up some ground that we lost then. 

Are we going to hear more of the old "we're waiting for the right player", or will we have 4 done deals roll in on Jan 1st. Please let it be the latter!!!

• Admin
17 minutes ago, REDOXO said:

I wish for Matt Smith

13 minutes ago, wallaceboy said:

That makes 2 of us.

Think we've moved on from him now.

I always hope with the January window that deals are in place and ready to be signed on the 1st, but rarely does that happen and we seem to be having the same topics going toward the end of the month

36 minutes ago, mattjtsmith said:

Unfortunately though we have shown our financial hand (Gayle, Grey), and in the preceding months shown how reliant we are going to have to be on this transfer window.

Seems to me, just as last time we were at this level, SL has hung himself out yet again as someone who has money to splurge. I really do fear that we are going to sleepwalk yet again in to paying over the odds for inadequate players at this level. Had we not been throwing around £9m bids then perhaps the rhetoric of value for money that came from the club would have had some substance, but for now I don't see why any club we approach for players wouldn't toy with us until we've paid top whack and probably right towards the end of the window.

Grey, Gayle: that was bloody lunatic and bloody stupid on so many levels.

42 minutes ago, phantom said:

Think we've moved on from him now.

I always hope with the January window that deals are in place and ready to be signed on the 1st, but rarely does that happen and we seem to be having the same topics going toward the end of the month

It's always the same. The way we went about our summer business and how we've performed so far there is no reason why targets should not be ready to sign early Jan. But I fully expect to hear the same sound bites about January being a hard time to buy and the loan window being an option in February after another uneventful transfer window. 

IF we sign anyone, be it on loan or permanent, they will be either overpriced, or not as good as we think they are, which is why the selling club are prepared to let them go.

January is a time for desperation in football, and like all the other clubs in all the leagues who are in trouble like us, when you want something that is in short supply you have to pay over the odds.

There won't be any bargains for what we need, players capable of keeping us in this league.

Glad I'm not signing the cheques.

There is some, understandable, doom and gloom about our chances of getting any decent players in January.  Although I tend to agree, there is hope. If a club has a player whose contract expires in the summer, and they know he isn't going to re-sign, then it makes sense to sell for a reasonable fee in January. The alternative is the player leaving for nothing a few months later. I'm not saying that City's transfer strategy has identified anyone in this category, but it's nice to live in hope. 

1 hour ago, 29AR said:

Unfortunately though we have shown our financial hand (Gayle, Grey), and in the preceding months shown how reliant we are going to have to be on this transfer window.

Seems to me, just as last time we were at this level, SL has hung himself out yet again as someone who has money to splurge. I really do fear that we are going to sleepwalk yet again in to paying over the odds for inadequate players at this level. Had we not been throwing around £9m bids then perhaps the rhetoric of value for money that came from the club would have had some substance, but for now I don't see why any club we approach for players wouldn't toy with us until we've paid top whack and probably right towards the end of the window.

Agree - and the risk of getting inadequate players is far greater in the January window than in the summer, it seems to me. Contracts don't end in January and anyone who's any good isn't getting released in January. All that's likely to be available is players who aren't getting games or players their clubs don't want. Hope I'm wrong but I don't see the January window as an opportunity that's going to change our season - and it is a risk of landing ourselves with someone we'll regret.

12 minutes ago, LoyalRed said:

Matt Smith was prolific for BC during his time here but didn't he form a great partnership and score most of his goals with JET?

He was fantastic for us last season but so were almost all of our players in L1.

Before diving in for him i would need to know how he has been performing at Fulham in the championship and if he aint getting games why? I think i will go and take a look later.

I am very fearful

Typical City, happy with Division 3, only us fans really dream the dream

So much cheaper to buy quality third division players in the summer than expensive Championship players in the January

I hope I am wrong and SL does intend to live the dream and not just talk about it

But if he does, does he really think the current manager can attract good players and having attracted them will then use them to start winning games.  Only three won this season out of 19. A success rate of less than 1:6.  Is the manager's problem simply not good enough players or not enough players - or does the buck stop with his selection of formation, the direction of his coaching, and the management of games?

3 hours ago, mattjtsmith said:

I fancy a couple of heads on a plate

I'm not optimistic about any new signings in January.

Most managers hate it because realistically very few quality players become available as already pointed it.

Add to that the fact that City are struggling at the wrong end of the table and those very few quality players that may become available won't want to sign - why would they?

3 hours ago, 29AR said:

Just a pipedream I think will be same old same old

• Admin
3 hours ago, sodburyred said:

It's always the same. The way we went about our summer business and how we've performed so far there is no reason why targets should not be ready to sign early Jan. But I fully expect to hear the same sound bites about January being a hard time to buy and the loan window being an option in February after another uneventful transfer window. 

Sadly I agree with you on this - just hope to god that we are both proved wrong !

9 minutes ago, phantom said:

I wonder what bearing if any the new look ground will have?

Surely it has to work in our favour when someone see's that beauty of a ground when they are being sold the club

Trouble is, there`s a lot of nice grounds in the championship. I can`t think of any real dives TBH, maybe Griffin Park?

We have already agreed deals for four experienced Championship quality players.

A defensive midfielder, two strikers who will score for fun at this level and a right sided back three defender.

We will finish around tenth in the League and go a couple of rounds in the FA Cup.

What's that bell ringing in my head? Oh, it's my alarm clock waking me up from my after dinner nap!

9 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

We have already agreed deals for four experienced Championship quality players.

A defensive midfielder, two strikers who will score for fun at this level and a right sided back three defender.

We will finish around tenth in the League and go a couple of rounds in the FA Cup.

What's that bell ringing in my head? Oh, it's my alarm clock waking me up from my after dinner nap!

So, your subconscious is ITK but your waking self isn`t? Get back to kip and tell us who they are.

3 hours ago, Sargent Pepper said:

My prediction:

"We are looking to bring one or two in"

"Januarys a tricky month to bring players in"

"We may have to wait until the end of the window"

"We will only bring in players who will improve the squad"

"It's an uneven playing field, clubs are outbidding us"

"he loan window opens in a week"

:grr:

Yep. Almost spot on - apart from the order.

deja vue......

4 hours ago, phantom said:

I wonder what bearing if any the new look ground will have?

Surely it has to work in our favour when someone see's that beauty of a ground when they are being sold the club

If anyone thinks a player will want to come here because we are building a half tidy stadium then they are very much deluded. Location, wages, game time, manager in charge and league position to name just a few come way before a bloody few bits of steel being put up in the eyes of players and there agents..

I still believe in going for any of the best young lower division players. Players that are an investment that could be worth more in the future. And possibly looking in the foreign market, the French leagues would be the safest as they seem to adapt more easily to our game, and the French leagues seem to be more physical than many of the other leagues in europe. Buying any quality from the prem or championship would surely cost a fortune.

1 hour ago, Jonbristol said:

I still believe in going for any of the best young lower division players. Players that are an investment that could be worth more in the future. And possibly looking in the foreign market, the French leagues would be the safest as they seem to adapt more easily to our game, and the French leagues seem to be more physical than many of the other leagues in europe. Buying any quality from the prem or championship would surely cost a fortune.

Aren't the best young lower league players the ones that are struggling for us st the moment..? 

Archived