IGNORED

Stand Up Comedy

Donkeeebles

6 hours ago, richwwtk said:

One of my great favourites :)

The funniest comedian I ever saw was at Jesters about 10-12 years ago. Went by the name of Andrew Lawrence who recently has gotten a bit more famous (he's been on Live at The Apollo), but seems to have forgotten how to be funny any more, which is a great shame.

I thought some of the stuff AL did for Radio 4 was quite good, but I haven't seen him live.

It seems he's been upsetting a few people recently too.

1 hour ago, Selred said:

What does thinking have to do with comedy? There are different types and not everything needs to be highbrow. 

If you don't want to think watch the man in your display picture, just someone playing the idiot. Even lower brown than Russell Howard.

Comedy snobbery being shown on this thread at its very best. 

Agreed, there are different types an it's ultimately subjective. 

I guess 'thinking' was an inappropriate analysis, RH is clearly a bright enough bloke.

I guess I just appreciate the deadpan approach over the more expressive (having said that, I do like Russell Brand, so I'm confused - finding it hard to put my finger on why I like what I like!).

And fwiw Karl Pilkington is more than just someone playing the idiot, imo.  I believe he has an innately unusual outlook that he now accentuates for comical purposes.  This was promoted by Ricky Gervais who spotted what a funny bastard he actually is, I don't think he set out to be.    

bee98657f67504e5704b44fc006be3bc.jpg

My comedy mood is often quite fickle but here are some of my present likes:

Andy Zaltzmann (Not for everyone, but I think he's fantastic.  Bring me my Bugle)

John Oliver (I can't believe how he's so unknown in Blighty.)

Richard Herring

Robin Ince

Brendon Burns (Shout'y Aussie Filth. But I like)

And....I don't mind Russell Howard (ducks for cover). Also Frankie Boyle can make me roar with laughter. But sometimes.....Jesus!

And old classics:

Al Murray

Dylan Moran

Billy Bailey

Eddie Izzard

Jack Dee (not sure if he even does stand up anymore but loved him back in 90's)

(Richard Herrings, Stuart Goldsmith and Jarleth Regan all run interview podcasts which are great for picking up people I hadn't heard of before)

Interesting reading everyone's differing opinions on this, it's certainly varied. I could almost be reading a Cole Skuse or Marlon Pack thread. It's clear that just because 1 person finds something funny doesn't mean everyone else will, I guess that's the beauty of it really. The important thing to remember is that as long as we all agree I'm right then we are all winners. 

Surprised that nobody has mentioned Frankie Boyle or Jim Jefferies, I thought they'd both get plenty of votes. 

24 minutes ago, Donkeeebles said:

Interesting reading everyone's differing opinions on this, it's certainly varied. I could almost be reading a Cole Skuse or Marlon Pack thread. It's clear that just because 1 person finds something funny doesn't mean everyone else will, I guess that's the beauty of it really. The important thing to remember is that as long as we all agree I'm right then we are all winners. 

Surprised that nobody has mentioned Frankie Boyle or Jim Jefferies, I thought they'd both get plenty of votes. 

Bang on. Beauty in the eye of the beholder etc etc.

Apart from Andy Parsons.....he's just woeful.

On 10/12/2015 at 23:49, Donkeeebles said:

Who's your favourite stand up comedian? Who don't you like? 

I don't find Alan Carr funny and as bad as its gonna sound I can't say there is a Woman comedienne I really find funny, well I can't think of one anyway

My favourite comedian is Richard Herring, here's some examples of his style

I love Richard Herring. Regularly listen to RHLSTP again and again on podcast. 

On 10/12/2015 at 23:49, Donkeeebles said:

Who's your favourite stand up comedian? Who don't you like? 

I don't find Alan Carr funny and as bad as its gonna sound I can't say there is a Woman comedienne I really find funny, well I can't think of one anyway

My favourite comedian is Richard Herring, here's some examples of his style

Michael McIntyre..as funny as a nasty rash that the medics just don't recognize.... Best stand up I ever seen live,and I've seen a few,was Alexie Sayle..hasent done stand up for years now but would be there should he decide to give it another go for old times sake..

On 11/12/2015 at 11:51, Kid in the Riot said:

Saw Reg D Hunter at Colston Hall and he was absolutely awful. It just wasn't even funny, in fact it became quite a miserable experience as he banged on about failed relationships, drinking heavily and his sex life.

Saw Henning Wehn booed off stage in Bristol after about 10 minutes of material - absolutely awful.

Saw Mark Watson in the summer and he was ok. The compere for the night John Robins (a lad from Castle School, Thornbury like my good self) was great, as was his missus Sara Pascoe.

Seen Richard Herring too - thought he was pretty good although a bit self-indulgent at times.

The best has to be Stewart Lee though - he is ace.

To be honest a lot of the best ones I've seen are at small venues and I can't recall their names! Sean Collins some Canadian bloke was good...

Apart from Alexie Sayle,the best have all been small venues...was the Canadian guy you mention possibly Scott Capurro??..seen him at comedy club on Gloucester rd many moons ago..very good.

2 hours ago, Robert the bruce said:

Apart from Alexie Sayle,the best have all been small venues...was the Canadian guy you mention possibly Scott Capurro??..seen him at comedy club on Gloucester rd many moons ago..very good.

Never found Alexei Sayle remotely funny. Same with Russell Howard, Russell Brand and Ricky Gervais....nary a twitch.

Very subjective thing, humour!

6 hours ago, Rouge Sans Pareil said:

Never found Alexei Sayle remotely funny. Same with Russell Howard, Russell Brand and Ricky Gervais....nary a twitch.

Very subjective thing, humour!

Which is the beauty of it I suppose..with many 'stand ups' they really do need to be seen in live format as often their  prepared for t.v routine is just that-shaped to appeal and be palatable to the broader masses,ie;Bob Monkhouse,a classic example of what would be seen 'on the box' bore very little in common with his live material.

7 minutes ago, Robert the bruce said:

Which is the beauty of it I suppose..with many 'stand ups' they really do need to be seen in live format as often their  prepared for t.v routine is just that-shaped to appeal and be palatable to the broader masses,ie;Bob Monkhouse,a classic example of what would be seen 'on the box' bore very little in common with his live material.

There is an opposite, I used to find Billy Connolly quite funny (this was a few years back). Went to see him live and thought he was terrible. Not found him funny since.

Lee Evans I used to hate on TV but found his live show very good.

4 hours ago, Rouge Sans Pareil said:

Just remembered bloody Bridget Christie FFS! Embarrassingly she is a fellow Gloucestrian, but unfortunately as funny as a camel turd.

Jam rags and all men are rapists...hilarious.

Got her material from Jo Brand presumably, the world`s unfunniest woman. One comedienne I do like though is Isy Suttie and Ronnie Ancona can be good when she`s on form.

15 hours ago, Red Right Hand said:

Got her material from Jo Brand presumably, the world`s unfunniest woman. One comedienne I do like though is Isy Suttie and Ronnie Ancona can be good when she`s on form.

Yes, I listened to Isy Suttie's comedy musical skits on the wireless, and found them whimsically amusing. Ronnie Ancona is good too.

I have no agenda against female comics, but can't abide Millie Tant wimmin types.

Archived