IGNORED

Stand Up Comedy

Donkeeebles

Who's your favourite stand up comedian? Who don't you like? 

I don't find Alan Carr funny and as bad as its gonna sound I can't say there is a Woman comedienne I really find funny, well I can't think of one anyway

My favourite comedian is Richard Herring, here's some examples of his style

I will try and think of a few that I like but I absolutely despise Russell Howard's comedy. Rubbish and unfunny. Lazy topics discussed which are often anti-ukip/edl to get an easy laugh. He once used an 'interview' at a protest to laugh at which turned out to be an actor. Rubbish. 

I do quite like Ricky Gervais and found Russell Brand quite funny too.

1 hour ago, Fordy62 said:

Dave Gorman is the only one for me. His show 'Modern life is goodish' is on catchup on Dave at the moment and it's brilliant. 

Try it. 

If you manage to find Dave Gorman's Important Astrological Experiment anywhere let me know, would love to see that again

Eddie Izzard is just brilliant but unfortunately only performs at venues so large that you're better off just waiting for the dvd.

Recently saw Henning Wehn at the Old Vic who was great and have also enjoyed Dylan Moran and Alun Cochrane at Cheltenham Town Hall. 

We go and see comedians a few times a year so any suggestions gratefully received.

Funnily enough Richard Herring was next on our "to see" list.  

14 minutes ago, richwwtk said:

If you manage to find Dave Gorman's Important Astrological Experiment anywhere let me know, would love to see that again

They all seem to be on Youtube.  Here's episode one for you (just search "Important Astrological Experiment" on YouTube for the others).

Reginald D Hunter live is brilliantly funny and an interesting experience - much like a visit to the shrink and would recommend. Number one for me.

Saw our own Mark Watson's Flaws gig a the Tobacco Factory - definitely worth a visit and a good number of Bristol jokes and City references.

Kevin Bridges at the Colston Hall also very good this year if you can get a handle on the accent.

Bad experiences::

- a recent performance in Weston was Ken Dodd. I'd dragged my reluctant family there as a last chance to see an undoubted legend whilst there's still chance. Doddy now forgets jokes in the middle and has a serious rasping cough as a result of bronchitis. Show lasted 4 and a half hours - he even brought on a flask and sandwiches for the second half. BTW, his audience seem to be 50% from care homes, which gives them that unique care home smell of boiled cabbage and urine.

- Rich Hall - did a great half hour and then was asking the audience for suggestions for the last 15minutes. Shame. Capable of being very good, but felt this was just a cash collecting exercise for him. Won't bother again.

- Russell Howard - utter cr4p...

1 hour ago, Chris_Brown said:

Eddie Izzard is just brilliant but unfortunately only performs at venues so large that you're better off just waiting for the dvd.

Recently saw Henning Wehn at the Old Vic who was great and have also enjoyed Dylan Moran and Alun Cochrane at Cheltenham Town Hall. 

We go and see comedians a few times a year so any suggestions gratefully received.

Yep, like him a lot.

"You know, we Germans like a laugh....."  :laughcont:

1 hour ago, Chris_Brown said:

Do you know when he's next around in Bristol? 

31 minutes ago, Calculus said:

Reginald D Hunter live is brilliantly funny and an interesting experience - much like a visit to the shrink and would recommend. Number one for me.

Saw our own Mark Watson's Flaws gig a the Tobacco Factory - definitely worth a visit and a good number of Bristol jokes and City references.

Kevin Bridges at the Colston Hall also very good this year if you can get a handle on the accent.

Bad experiences::

- a recent performance in Weston was Ken Dodd. I'd dragged my reluctant family there as a last chance to see an undoubted legend whilst there's still chance. Doddy now forgets jokes in the middle and has a serious rasping cough as a result of bronchitis. Show lasted 4 and a half hours - he even brought on a flask and sandwiches for the second half. BTW, his audience seem to be 50% from care homes, which gives them that unique care home smell of boiled cabbage and urine.

- Rich Hall - did a great half hour and then was asking the audience for suggestions for the last 15minutes. Shame. Capable of being very good, but felt this was just a cash collecting exercise for him. Won't bother again.

- Russell Howard - utter cr4p...

Was that the guy the PFA used at one of their awards a couple of years back? Think he caused quite a stir iirc 

34 minutes ago, Calculus said:

Saw Rich Hall a few years ago, was expecting great things as he's very funny on TV, but I have never come away from a comedy gig so disappointed.

12 minutes ago, Donkeeebles said:

Do you know when he's next around in Bristol? 

Richard Herring? I believe he's on tour through the spring, Bristol in April. See here https://www.ents24.com/uk/tour-dates/richard-herring

Henning Wehn I'm not sure about but I think he's quite prolific. Has appeared a few times at the Tobacco Factory in the past but i think he's going up in the world and will appear at bigger venues. https://www.ents24.com/uk/tour-dates/henning-wehn

5 minutes ago, Donkeeebles said:

Was that the guy the PFA used at one of their awards a couple of years back? Think he caused quite a stir iirc 

It was. Seems that Reg offended the towering intellect that is Clarke Carlisle.

Here's a sample of his work. Edgy, thought provoking try to see him live if you can:

https://youtu.be/tAwZL3n9kGE

I feel Russell Howard is getting some unfair stick on here, I've seen him about three times live now and found his material great. 

One of my favourite comedians is Danny Bhoy, highly recommend people see him if they get the change. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R5CTCG_2ZGk

Others I like include Terry Alderton (odd but hilarious), Rhod Gilbert (his early material was gold dust), Adam Hills.

Some of the worst acts I've seen are Reginald D Hunter (played the race card too many times), Rich Hall (very poor material), Tony Law (Just very odd).

Saw Reg D Hunter at Colston Hall and he was absolutely awful. It just wasn't even funny, in fact it became quite a miserable experience as he banged on about failed relationships, drinking heavily and his sex life.

Saw Henning Wehn booed off stage in Bristol after about 10 minutes of material - absolutely awful.

Saw Mark Watson in the summer and he was ok. The compere for the night John Robins (a lad from Castle School, Thornbury like my good self) was great, as was his missus Sara Pascoe.

Seen Richard Herring too - thought he was pretty good although a bit self-indulgent at times.

The best has to be Stewart Lee though - he is ace.

To be honest a lot of the best ones I've seen are at small venues and I can't recall their names! Sean Collins some Canadian bloke was good...

10 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Saw Reg D Hunter at Colston Hall and he was absolutely awful. It just wasn't even funny, in fact it became quite a miserable experience as he banged on about failed relationships, drinking heavily and his sex life.

Saw Henning Wehn booed off stage in Bristol after about 10 minutes of material - absolutely awful.

Saw Mark Watson in the summer and he was ok. The compere for the night John Robins (a lad from Castle School, Thornbury like my good self) was great, as was his missus Sara Pascoe.

Seen Richard Herring too - thought he was pretty good although a bit self-indulgent at times.

The best has to be Stewart Lee though - he is ace.

To be honest a lot of the best ones I've seen are at small venues and I can't recall their names! Sean Collins some Canadian bloke was good...

Have seen John quite a few times at my local comedy club in Greenwich. Think he is great and has that real connection with the audience. 

@Selred I know it's really about opinions, more so than football as you can't measure stats (% of audience laughing? Loudness of laughter?) but I think he's atrocious. I don't think I've ever laughed at him and it's the lazy political themes he puts in (I'm sure he'll use plenty of Trump and maybe even the postal votes thing) which I think is poor. 

Still, there's no right answer I suppose. Maybe you can change my mind on him - link me to a funny clip of Howard and I'll tell you if it makes me laugh!

37 minutes ago, One Team In Keynsham said:

Of the various stand up shows I have seen, Stewart Lee, Eddie Izzard and Alexei Sayle stand out.  Honourable mentions to Emo Philips, Jim Tavare and Mark Miwurdz.

One of my great favourites :)

The funniest comedian I ever saw was at Jesters about 10-12 years ago. Went by the name of Andrew Lawrence who recently has gotten a bit more famous (he's been on Live at The Apollo), but seems to have forgotten how to be funny any more, which is a great shame.

26 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

@Selred I know it's really about opinions, more so than football as you can't measure stats (% of audience laughing? Loudness of laughter?) but I think he's atrocious. I don't think I've ever laughed at him and it's the lazy political themes he puts in (I'm sure he'll use plenty of Trump and maybe even the postal votes thing) which I think is poor. 

Still, there's no right answer I suppose. Maybe you can change my mind on him - link me to a funny clip of Howard and I'll tell you if it makes me laugh!

You could measure how he is selling out arenas? ;) 

But it's odd how you criticize Russell Howard for using political themes, but then say you like Russell Brand who uses a lot of politics in his material. 

Let me know your views on this clip: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w327pA9xWaA

4 minutes ago, Selred said:

But it's odd how you criticize Russell Howard for using political themes, but then say you like Russell Brand who uses a lot of politics in his material. 

Let me know your views on this clip: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w327pA9xWaA

I know, I was thinking about that hypocracy when I wrote it! It's not so much political material, it's the laziness of his political themes that annoys me. Cheap laughs.

Thats the thing that baffles me, he's very successful but I cannot fathom how.

Thanks, will watch when on wifi. I will be honest if I find it amusing !

Saw Frank Skinner at the Colston Hall must of been at least 15 years ago and he was very very good. Very off the cuff and was very very good with the Audience.

Go to comedy store in Manchester now and again and it's quite surprising how many big comedians just turn up to try 10 mins worth of material.

23 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I know, I was thinking about that hypocracy when I wrote it! It's not so much political material, it's the laziness of his political themes that annoys me. Cheap laughs.

Thats the thing that baffles me, he's very successful but I cannot fathom how.

Thanks, will watch when on wifi. I will be honest if I find it amusing !

It appeals to a younger generation who do not want heavy political jokes any more, the Ben Elton days are over. At least it is getting young people involved with politics which can surely only be a good thing.

It's hard to define what "cheap laughs" are, many considered the silly nature of Python as "cheap laughs" but I personally love them and whatever happens they are still comedy greats. 

2 hours ago, Selred said:

That's a bloke who's good at mimicking accents whilst reading smut.

I find RH to be very shouty with all the subtlety of a size 18 steel toe cap in the bollocks.  In my just invented personality psychological index he has all the hall marks of a BBC 3 Type personality, which is a grade above an ITV 3 Type personality, to be fair to him.  An entertainer, an actor, a showman? Yes.  A comedian? I beg to differ. 

If you don't want to do much thinking, he is your man.

2 hours ago, WTFiGO!?! said:

That's a bloke who's good at mimicking accents whilst reading smut.

I find RH to be very shouty with all the subtlety of a size 18 steel toe cap in the bollocks.  In my just invented personality psychological index he has all the hall marks of a BBC 3 Type personality, which is a grade above an ITV 3 Type personality, to be fair to him.  An entertainer, an actor, a showman? Yes.  A comedian? I beg to differ. 

If you don't want to do much thinking, he is your man.

What does thinking have to do with comedy? There are different types and not everything needs to be highbrow. 

If you don't want to think watch the man in your display picture, just someone playing the idiot. Even lower brown than Russell Howard.

Comedy snobbery being shown on this thread at its very best. 

Bill Bailey (if he counts as stand up with all the musical stuff) just has to walk on stage to make me laugh. Sean Lock`s pretty good too. Jimmy Carr is a bit patchy I found and does rely on smut too much although he is interesting when he does his comedy history anecdotes - really has studied the subject. Ricky Gervase used to be good but I think tries a bit too hard these days.

Saw Noel Fielding at a small club a few years ago and he is weird!

Not seen Dave Gorman live but would like to as I love his TV stuff.

Best I ever saw though was Billy Connelly about thirty years ago. Laughed till I cried.

Archived