IGNORED

Stand Up Comedy

Donkeeebles

4 hours ago, richwwtk said:

Just a quick mention for Tim Minchin as well, I've not seen him listed anywhere yet but I do enjoy him.

Forgot him. He is very good in a surreal sort of way. Some of his stuff takes a bit of thinking about and you do have to really listen to what he says but when you do get it, it`s normally worth it. A bit like Noel Fielding.

7 hours ago, Red Right Hand said:

Forgot him. He is very good in a surreal sort of way. Some of his stuff takes a bit of thinking about and you do have to really listen to what he says but when you do get it, it`s normally worth it. A bit like Noel Fielding.

I got given a DVD of one of his shows.  I think I managed to last about 15 minutes before concluding it was unfunny cack and turned it off.  Based on what I have seen, it's a no from me.

On 17 December 2015 at 10:27, Rouge Sans Pareil said:

Never found Alexei Sayle remotely funny. Same with Russell Howard, Russell Brand and Ricky Gervais....nary a twitch.

Very subjective thing, humour!

Me neither, although I can just about cope with Russell Howard. 

Im not a fan of female comics either, Jo Brand does nothing for me as I worked with a woman who was more like her than she was on a daily basis, so watching her was nothing new as such.

Last year at Glastonbury (inbetween bands) to escape the rain we ended up sheltering in  one of the tents. A female comic I'd never heard of was due to start. I feared the worse but as I didn't want to leave and get soaked again we stayed. She was really good, an Iranian born comedian, and boy did she take the p!ss out of her background. Infact 6months or so later I found she had played Bristol (read the review somewhere) and I was sorry I had missed her, certainly would have gone, and as I said I'm not one for female comics. Her name, yes I had to google, was shappi khorsandi

this year at Glasto we were in the comedy tent about 2am one night, absolutely knackered,  I fell asleep on the floor at one point. On comes that bloke, can't remember his name so not sure if he has been mentioned, the one that infiltrated the England team. He was quite funny, but not as good as Shappi I don't think.

1 hour ago, RedM said:

1 hour ago, RedM said:

this year at Glasto we were in the comedy tent about 2am one night, absolutely knackered,  I fell asleep on the floor at one point. On comes that bloke, can't remember his name so not sure if he has been mentioned, the one that infiltrated the England team. He was quite funny, but not as good as Shappi I don't think.

Simon Brodkin, who almost always appears in character, usually as Lee Nelson or his scouse footballer persona whose name escapes me.

47 minutes ago, Chris_Brown said:

Simon Brodkin, who almost always appears in character, usually as Lee Nelson or his scouse footballer persona whose name escapes me.

Jason Bent.

Ive seen "Lee Nelson" two or three times now as guest and actually as much as I dislike the character there is some pretty good material there.

8 hours ago, Chris_Brown said:

Ah Lee Nelson, that was him. I honestly didn't know Lee Nelson was a character until you said. But then again I didn't know Keith Lemon (who I could cheerfully strangle) was either until I was told. 

I guess comedy isn't my strong point!

22 hours ago, RedM said:

Me neither, although I can just about cope with Russell Howard. 

Im not a fan of female comics either, Jo Brand does nothing for me as I worked with a woman who was more like her than she was on a daily basis, so watching her was nothing new as such.

Last year at Glastonbury (inbetween bands) to escape the rain we ended up sheltering in  one of the tents. A female comic I'd never heard of was due to start. I feared the worse but as I didn't want to leave and get soaked again we stayed. She was really good, an Iranian born comedian, and boy did she take the p!ss out of her background. Infact 6months or so later I found she had played Bristol (read the review somewhere) and I was sorry I had missed her, certainly would have gone, and as I said I'm not one for female comics. Her name, yes I had to google, was shappi khorsandi

Shappi`s been on QI a few times and has always been worth watching. Keep an eye out for the repeats on Dave.

On 11 December 2015 at 11:31, Selred said:

I feel Russell Howard is getting some unfair stick on here, I've seen him about three times live now and found his material great. 

One of my favourite comedians is Danny Bhoy, highly recommend people see him if they get the change. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R5CTCG_2ZGk

Others I like include Terry Alderton (odd but hilarious), Rhod Gilbert (his early material was gold dust), Adam Hills.

Some of the worst acts I've seen are Reginald D Hunter (played the race card too many times), Rich Hall (very poor material), Tony Law (Just very odd).

Adam hills is about as funny as a bit of pavement in Nailsea on a bleak winter afternoon

On 11 December 2015 at 11:51, Kid in the Riot said:

The best has to be Stewart Lee though - he is ace.

Totally agree, brilliant stand up.

Chuffed to discover the 'Carpet Remnant World' show from Sheffield 2012 on Virgin On Demand recently...well worth another watch. 'Room with a Stew' at the Colston Hall this year was also superb.

Used to go to Jesters quite a bit in Stokes Croft in the late 90s early 00s. So many good stand ups who's names I've forgotten over the years but one guy who was the compare on one occasion called Roger Monkhouse was brilliant...although Ive only ever seen him perform once. Don't know if anyone else knows the guy?

like quite a few, henningh wenn, russel kane, shappi korshandi,  milton jones,  funniest live was peter kay at the hippodrome, i watch  most of them at the place were not allowed to drink in ! red trousers gaffe intimate venue  very close to the performer, unlike colston hall where you are watching what looks like an ant on the stage !

On 17 December 2015 at 13:21, OddBallJim said:

Anyone made the dicks in joke yet? 

For the record I wouldn't sack yet, but this team could definitely be performing better than they are. Title winners don't just collapse overnight. Something is clearly very wrong at the club.

Mickey Flanagan is a funny fella.

Comedians I've seen live:-

Roy 'Chubby' Brown - very dated now and churning out the same sort of crap. If you don't mind a bit of filth then he's alright to see once. Wouldn't go again.

Jimmy Carr - Like a robot. Doesn't wait for the crowd to laugh if it's a joke that requires a bit of thinking. Just fires out quick joke after quick joke. Wouldn't see again.

Sean Lock - As someone said above, soooo good on 8 out of 10 cats where he needs to be quick witted. Terrible stand up. A few times his jokes struggled to get any laugh at all.

Stewart Francis - If you like 1 liners then he's up there with Milton Jones as one of the better ones. Really enjoyed seeing him

Milton Jones - Very clever but also very weird 1 liners. Was worth seeing and would see him again. 

Dara O'Briain - one of the best I've seen. Such a great memory and incredible talent for relating bits of information he has got from the audience. Probably had about 4 planned jokes in the whole routine and the rest was interacting with the audience and going off on very well detailed stories. Very clever guy.

Russell Brand - seen him 3 times. What I love about his stand up is that you could  watch him night after night on his tour and no 2 gigs would be the same. He could do a gig at the drop of a hat without preparation and it would be amazing. Loved his radio podcasts too. If you get the chance then you should go see him live without a doubt. Every time I've seen him he never talked about politics. Mainly his life experiences in America, banging women and stories from his drug taking years. 

I can't stand Lee Evans!!!! The fact that he has to write a joke, come to little venues like the Weston playhouse to try out his new stuff and then goes on a massive tour repeating it word for word night after night. Add to this his stupid faces and noises he makes and of course the sweating. Not funny at all in my opinion. Dara or Russell Brand for me. Clever, quick witted and not scripted. 

• Admin

Interesting reading this

One's I was disappointed with: Michael McIntyre and Noel Fielding, Chubby Brown

One's I liked:  Bill Bailey, Steward Francis. Ricky Gervais

Saw Jason Manford in WSM doing one of his warm up to a tour shows, was really good

Going to see Chris Ramsey in the new year - he is funny on TV hope that translates to his live show

On 17/12/2015 at 12:09, Red-Robbo said:

Quite. They are Bristolians,  bit I'm afraid neither Brigstocke or Russell Howard do it for me. Likewise, Cheddar-born comedian Richard Herring. 

Herring grew up in Cheddar but is a Yorkshireman by birth and supports York City. 

1 hour ago, CotswoldRed said:

Herring grew up in Cheddar but is a Yorkshireman by birth and supports York City. 

You are correct.

His dad was headmaster of Kings of Wessex school and he went there. I interviewed him for the local paper when he'd done his first professional gig. 

Nice chap. Never went much on his comedy though.

There are a lot of terrible 'comedians' around these days. Shows like Mock the Week have a lot to answer for! How the likes of Rob Beckett, Jack Whitehall and Russell Howard ever got work is beyond me. Actually no it's not: in the case of the latter two, it's because of their looks.

I really don't rate Eddie Izzard, Chris Rock or Omid Djalili.

As others have said, Stewart Lee is great. I always liked David Baddiel and Sean Hughes. Bill Bailey and Lee Mack are also funny men. Peter Kay, Lee Evans and Michael McIntyre also deserve a mention

50 minutes ago, AshtonGreat said:

There are a lot of terrible 'comedians' around these days. Shows like Mock the Week have a lot to answer for! How the likes of Rob Beckett, Jack Whitehall and Russell Howard ever got work is beyond me. Actually no it's not: in the case of the latter two, it's because of their looks.

I really don't rate Eddie Izzard, Chris Rock or Omid Djalili.

As others have said, Stewart Lee is great. I always liked David Baddiel and Sean Hughes. Bill Bailey and Lee Mack are also funny men. Peter Kay, Lee Evans and Michael McIntyre also deserve a mention

Why is it beyond you that people like what you don't? 

15 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

You are correct.

His dad was headmaster of Kings of Wessex school and he went there. I interviewed him for the local paper when he'd done his first professional gig. 

Nice chap. Never went much on his comedy though.

Do you know whether he was a modern languages (French, Russian) teacher? 

Archived