IGNORED

All Red

CITYAREREDANDWHITE

10 minutes ago, Kingswood mask said:

Here's one from my era....all red

BristolCity1969_595x480.jpg

I didn't realise that Alan Diicks was also our reserve goalie.

If ever a player had the wrong Christian name it Was 'Richard' Rooks, probably the dirtiest player I've ever seen in a City shirt,  loved him!

14 minutes ago, redysteadygo said:

You obviously never watched Ernie "Ginger" Peacock and Mike Thresher then.

I vaguely remember Thresher near the end of his career, my dad told me a story of Thresher marking Stanley Matthews in a game and Matthews barely getting a touch, never new if it was true or not, dad always swore it was.

1 hour ago, Kingswood mask said:

Here's one from my era....all red

BristolCity1969_595x480.jpg

I can remember this kit.  It looks O.K. in the photo, but in real life it looked dire. Almost  fluorescent red that needed sun glasses to look at it. (If only we had Johm Galley today!)

1 hour ago, REDOXO said:

I can confirm we have worn all red several times. My first City kit was all red except thin white rings around the cuffs! Yes I am very old!

Mine was all red , 1969 , I can't tell you how excited I was getting the kit (not that it's a secret) . No badge in those days either.

4 minutes ago, CotswoldRed said:

Lazy photographer. There are people photo-bombing in the stand. Oi, clear off like. 

We've had a few players in recent years that were so awful that they looked like spectators photo-bombing on the pitch 

6 minutes ago, CotswoldRed said:

Lazy photographer. There are people photo-bombing in the stand. Oi, clear off like. 

I was just about to say that this was my one claim to fame at ashton gate as I was the basin haircut nine year old stood at the bottom of the steps leaning over the wall.

I'd just arrived at the ground with my mum to collect mine and my dads season tickets and the smartly dressed commissionaire at the main entrance, they had one in those days, saluted us and told me that the players were going on the pitch in readiness for a team photo and if I was quick I might see it.

That particular one was used in "The football league review" which was a national supplement that came free with the matchday programme at that time.

2 hours ago, Welcome To The Jungle said:

All red is Liverpool's thing imo. I must respectfully disagree. White shorts like we've had for our history. 

s-l225.jpg

50857538-christian-roberts-of-bristol-ci

Well the story goes that Liverpool only changed to an all red kit when they played against us and Shankly thought our all red kit made our players look bigger and more intimidating than they actually were

34 minutes ago, Countryfile said:

I vaguely remember Thresher near the end of his career, my dad told me a story of Thresher marking Stanley Matthews in a game and Matthews barely getting a touch, never new if it was true or not, dad always swore it was.

My Dad told me the same thing. He attributed it to the fact Sir Stan had never seen Mike Thresher before.

Getting back to all red. Real Madrid won the European Cup for the first five season. Trying to copy their success Leeds changed from their traditional Blue to all white in 1961 and some clubs who played in red & white or blue & white changed to all red (City 65-71) or all blue (Rovers 66-69).

I very much prefer red shirts, white shorts and red socks.

I didn't really like it when we played in all red during the Wilson/Tinnion eras and that all red one with the black at the top when we were last relegated has to be my all-time least favourite City kit. Away from home when we have to wear different colour shorts I actually prefer black.

For some reason I've also always disliked it when we've worn white socks at home.

Favourite ones for me were the kits in the early-mid 70s even though that was before my time.

1 hour ago, Bullbag said:

No Chance, Red shirts and White shirts.

End of discussion. 

Favourite kit for me was centenary season 96/97, With the white shorts and red and white hooped socks.

That was one sexy kit.

Nice of you to decide the discussion is over. That saves anyone the bother of joining in and giving an opinion. Jolly decent of you to save them time.

2 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

....and a (probably) little known fact, Liverpool actually wore blue and white quarters as their home kit from 1892 to 1896...!

http://www.historicalkits.co.uk/Liverpool/Liverpool.htm shows it to be halves like Blackburn.

http://www.historicalkits.co.uk/Cardiff_City/Cardiff_City.htm 1899 - 1908 Cardiff played in urine & excrement quarters.

52 minutes ago, Countryfile said:

Was a cup game against Blackpool. Matthews was hyped up but reputations meant little to Mike Thresher. About 5 minutes in and the ball was delivered to Matthews towards the corner of what is now Dolman/Atyeo. I can still picture Thresher steaming in at full tilt and hit Matthews so hard he almost ended up in the tenth row. He didn't seem to want to play after that.

Archived