IGNORED

Spoiled brats

Bar BS3

1 hour ago, Rob k said:

Cotts win ratio at this level with all clubs is not much to write home about - it's no different from a good championship striker being unable to cut it in the prem.

Cotts has always been at a club that was either operating on 0 money (Pompey, Forest) at the time he was there, or with little to no budget while he was there, having to sell his star striker (Burnley). In fact, Cotterill helped in Pompey avoiding liquidation, and took Forest away from relegation to safety when he had the job there.

7 minutes ago, City169 said:

Cotts has always been at a club that was either operating on 0 money (Pompey, Forest) at the time he was there, or with little to no budget while he was there, having to sell his star striker (Burnley). In fact, Cotterill helped in Pompey avoiding liquidation, and took Forest away from relegation to safety when he had the job there.

You could comprise a list of most managers in this league and find excuses or reasons like the above for success/lack of success at the clubs they've managed, it's a moot point.

In the same vain, you could state that at Notts County they had by far the strongest squad in the league and were coasting to promotion when he took over - does that make getting promotion there any less of an achievement?

1 minute ago, Phileas Fogg said:

You could comprise a list of most managers in this league and find excuses or reasons like the above for success/lack of success at the clubs they've managed, it's a moot point.

yes and no. If cotts had been at a club with a big budget and had an awful win percentage it would reflect worse on his ability as a manager than the actual case.

When Cotterill got the Portsmouth job, they were in a position not a million miles off of where Blackpool were at the start of last season (other than geographically) yet he still kept them up, so it is incredibly harsh to take in his win ratio there and use it against him. Just look at where Portsmouth ended up, and how Blackpool are going at the moment

8 hours ago, Bar BS3 said:

I'm not a happy clapper and I don't underestimate the improvements that we need to make, but seriously, reading half the posts on here....!

I think too many people have been spoiled by last season successes and are way to quick to be "throwing in the towel"

Its a new division, a tougher challenge, a harder task and we need to pull together. If you expect to win every week, go support Chelsea, oh hang on, make that Man Utd, no? Umm Liverpool/Arsenal/Tottenham/Man City...?

seems like most of you need a Leicester season ticket right now, to get what you want. 

NEWSFLASH- That won't last either! 

Agree. One injury to Mahrez or Vardy and Leicester will struggle. Can't see them even making top 4 TBH. Long way to go. 

23 minutes ago, City169 said:

Fair points 

I don't think I've ever been called a "glory supporter" for supporting Bristol City! ha. 

Look, I don't think it's about people wanting City to win every week, but rather people not wanting to see us fall out of the league.  If it looked like we were going to get a mid-table finish, I genuinely think most fans would be more than happy. 

You've got 2 sets of supporters here.  Realists and Optimists. 

I fall on the realist side, so I look at cold hard facts.  

• Possession stats = worst in the league
  • 4 wins in 21 = Relegation form 
  • Out of every team in the league, we've had the most goals scored against us
  • Our Manager says we aren't good enough
  • We can't really change things due to the squad size
  • Confidence is low 

How anyone can say that we aren't in serious trouble is beyond me!! It's all good putting your head in the sand, but the cold hard truth tells us that something needs to change.  Is a management change going to work? I don't know, but its one of the only things we can do to stop the rot.  I can't see how someone coming in with proven Championship experience can be anything other than positive? 

So you can stick your Chelsea, Manchester United, Tottenham, Liverpool, Manchester City and Arsenal up your arse. I'm a ******* proud Bristolian. The reason people are getting the way they are is not because they're "throwing in the towel", but because they're passionate enough to not want to see a club they love get relegated, which is clearly going to happen if things stay the same. 

16 minutes ago, City169 said:

yes and no. If cotts had been at a club with a big budget and had an awful win percentage it would reflect worse on his ability as a manager than the actual case.

When Cotterill got the Portsmouth job, they were in a position not a million miles off of where Blackpool were at the start of last season (other than geographically) yet he still kept them up, so it is incredibly harsh to take in his win ratio there and use it against him. Just look at where Portsmouth ended up, and how Blackpool are going at the moment

Actually I agree about Portsmouth, but then by the same reckoning do we discount what he did at Notts when taking about his past career?

2 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Actually I agree about Portsmouth, but then by the same reckoning do we discount what he did at Notts when taking about his past career?

(county?)

to an extent yes, they were being heavily backed at the time and he was there for about half a season so the plaudits should not all go to Cotterill for that. 

10 minutes ago, City169 said:

(county?)

to an extent yes, they were being heavily backed at the time and he was there for about half a season so the plaudits should not all go to Cotterill for that. 

I agree, I think any manager who's at a club less than 20 games doesn't really 'count' so I include Stoke too earlier in his career. 

4 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I agree, I think any manager who's at a club less than 20 games doesn't really 'count' so I include Stoke too earlier in his career. 

I argue against Holloway for a similar reason when people say about him taking palace to the premier league a few years ago. When he got the job they were 1 point behind the leaders and in 3rd, they finished 5th, 15 points behind the champions, although he did have the job for most of the season

9 hours ago, Bar BS3 said:

I'm not a happy clapper and I don't underestimate the improvements that we need to make, but seriously, reading half the posts on here....!

I think too many people have been spoiled by last season successes and are way to quick to be "throwing in the towel"

Its a new division, a tougher challenge, a harder task and we need to pull together. If you expect to win every week, go support Chelsea, oh hang on, make that Man Utd, no? Umm Liverpool/Arsenal/Tottenham/Man City...?

seems like most of you need a Leicester season ticket right now, to get what you want. 

One of the best, profound and funniest post that vibe seen on here for ages.

12 minutes ago, Jesus said:

I don't think I've ever been called a "glory supporter" before for supporting Bristol City! ha. 

Look, I don't think it's about people wanting City to win every week, but rather people not wanting to see us fall out of the league.  If it looked like we were going to get a mid-table finish, I genuinely think most fans would be more than happy. 

• Out Manager says we aren't good enough
  • Confidence is low 

How anyone can say that we aren't in serious trouble is beyond me!! It's all good putting your head in the sand, but the cold hard truth tells us that something needs to change.  Is a management change going to work? I don't know, but its one of the only things we can do to stop the rot.  I can't see how someone coming in with proven Championship experience can be anything other than positive? 

So you can stick your Chelsea, Manchester United, Tottenham, Liverpool, Manchester City and Arsenal up your arse. I'm a ******* proud Bristolian. The reason people are getting the way they are is not because they're "throwing in the towel", but because they're passionate enough to not want to see a club they love get relegated, which is clearly going to happen if things stay the same. 

8 hours ago, RumRed said:

Take a poll of the ages of people that have been critical all season vs the in 'Cotts we trust' crowd.

I think you'll find that the former are the been there, done that, seen it before and know what's coming generations (age 40 and up) I think it's the 'spoilt brats' that have only seen a few seasons that think if we go down we'll bounce straight back up (we won't) that are having the love in with a manager that can't cut it at this level.

City need to attract new eager supporters which isn't going to happen with this current shambles as Rum Red stated those of us above the 40/50 ect age bracket have seen countless cock ups akin to this latest episode,give this and that time to work stick with the players various boardroom plans and schemes that are going to improve a nearly always greatly under performing Bristol City FC .No long term City fan can be called a glory hunter i have been lucky to see City in the old top flight and in 2 league cup semi-finals taking away the odd play-off final which we have never won and to me the meaning less paintpot finals apart from the Bolton Wanderers 3-0 final which defined a spirit of the club from manager Terry Cooper ,players,board,staff and fans that will never be repeated and apart from last season City have been plain average to dreadful .

Jesus post is a clear thought out dreams vs facts review under John Ward and Benny the ball the whole season in the 2nd tier was a fiasco sign a range of forwards and hope for the best Ward admitted he needed help and got the push the rest is history this season is turning into a mirror image ,its clear that certain players are a shadow of last season Bryan,Freeman,Pack are average Agard,Burns and Wilbraham just aren't up to this league apart from Baker minus his stupid antics getting sent off the defence just hasn't performed.Korey Smith and Kodjia have played well but this team looks very poor.

12 minutes ago, grove park city said:

City need to attract new eager supporters which isn't going to happen with this current shambles as Rum Red stated those of us above the 40/50 ect age bracket have seen countless cock ups akin to this latest episode,give this and that time to work stick with the players various boardroom plans and schemes that are going to improve a nearly always greatly under performing Bristol City FC .No long term City fan can be called a glory hunter i have been lucky to see City in the old top flight and in 2 league cup semi-finals taking away the odd play-off final which we have never won and to me the meaning less paintpot finals apart from the Bolton Wanderers 3-0 final which defined a spirit of the club from manager Terry Cooper ,players,board,staff and fans that will never be repeated and apart from last season City have been plain average to dreadful .

Jesus post is a clear thought out dreams vs facts review under John Ward and Benny the ball the whole season in the 2nd tier was a fiasco sign a range of forwards and hope for the best Ward admitted he needed help and got the push the rest is history this season is turning into a mirror image ,its clear that certain players are a shadow of last season Bryan,Freeman,Pack are average Agard,Burns and Wilbraham just aren't up to this league apart from Baker minus his stupid antics getting sent off the defence just hasn't performed.Korey Smith and Kodjia have played well but this team looks very poor.

Very good post for me GPC 

You are close to me in age,  thinking and in geographical terms !

1 hour ago, City169 said:

Not entirely true, he was at Forest for only seven months (in the 2011/12 season) and he took them down to 23rd place with runs including six defeats in seven games without scoring a goal (the other game was a nil nil draw) and then six consecutive home defeats which saw them sink to the bottom. Their formed improved a little from Feb 2012 and he took them up to 19th where they finished the season.

That is hardly him saving them from relegation, he just managed to clear up the mess a little that his team created while he was in charge...

4 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Not entirely true, he was at Forest for only seven months (in the 2011/12 season) and he took them down to 23rd place with runs including six defeats in seven games without scoring a goal (the other game was a nil nil draw) and then six consecutive home defeats which saw them sink to the bottom. Their formed improved a little from Feb 2012 and he took them up to 19th where they finished the season.

That is hardly him saving them from relegation, he just managed to clear up the mess a little that his team created while he was in charge...

when he got the job (14 Oct 2011) they were in 23rd. 

10 hours ago, Bar BS3 said:

Shouldn't it read Spoilt? 

Yes I know it's Bristol, but there is a significant  difference in meaning.

2 hours ago, Jesus said:

I don't think I've ever been called a "glory supporter" for supporting Bristol City! ha. 

• Confidence is low 

11 hours ago, Bar BS3 said:

If you are in anyway upbeat about our performances this year coupled with Cotts uninspired team selections then you are a bit of a happy clapper.

I don't think anyone expects us to be winning every week but personally I expect more from a lot of the players, Cotts and the team as a whole. 

2 hours ago, Jesus said:

• Confidence is low 

Disagree - the 2 types of supporters are either idealists or pragmatist, or they are optimists and pessimists

Anyway I thought you were supposed to be all about belief - I guess it all depends on what you believe in, I will have to have another look at this bible thing people talk about.

11 hours ago, WolfOfWestStreet said:

cmon spud you know as well as I do that to some people, city's actual results are just secondary to their own agenda. 

Ive been that guy, in the sod era, I'd have taken a hammering just so he'd **** off. no doubt some of the same is kicking about. 

Wow... 

You've just admitted to wanting us to lose?! 

What's wrong with you?! Regardless of who's in charge, the aim after 90 mins is to have more goals than the other team, irrelevant who is in charge or who scored, as long as it gets done. 

Why would any real fan want us to lose for heavens sake??? 

1 hour ago, Akira said:

Wow... 

You've just admitted to wanting us to lose?! 

What's wrong with you?! Regardless of who's in charge, the aim after 90 mins is to have more goals than the other team, irrelevant who is in charge or who scored, as long as it gets done. 

Why would any real fan want us to lose for heavens sake??? 

Yeah 100% its got nothing to do with being a "real" fan or what ever that means. Sometimes when things are so shit and we're staring down the barrel of a double relegation it takes a trigger to make things better.

thankfully that happened and we got the right man in who sorted us out and took us up at the first attempt. 

This time I look at it differently, Steve has earned my respect and deserves the same back. Sod could just **** off.

9 minutes ago, WolfOfWestStreet said:

Yeah 100% its got nothing to do with being a "real" fan or what ever that means. Sometimes when things are so shit and we're staring down the barrel of a double relegation it takes a trigger to make things better.

thankfully that happened and we got the right man in who sorted us out and took us up at the first attempt. 

This time I look at it differently, Steve has earned my respect and deserves the same back. Sod could just **** off.

Sorry to say, I sort of wanted us not to win when Pulis was here. I think a lot did if only they admitted it.

Archived