IGNORED

Players Leaving? Something else we haven't thought of.

RedM

All the talk of strengthening in Jaunuary, but have we even considered any of our players leaving? I wouldn't be surprised if a few clubs are circling seeing the position we are in and we could be fending off bids. Players themselves are being reminded by the Agents that they are around if needed, cream always rises to the top so they say.

1 minute ago, RedM said:

All the talk of strengthening in Jaunuary, but have we even considered any of our players leaving? I wouldn't be surprised if a few clubs are circling seeing the position we are in and we could be fending off bids. Players themselves are being reminded by the Agents that they are around if needed, cream always rises to the top so they say.

With the exception of Kodjia I'd be very surprised if there are bids for our players. 

• Admin
33 minutes ago, CiderCraig said:

Too crap for us, but good enough to be bought by teams above us... 

Makes sense.

Bristol City fans, fickle? Surely not!

Who said anything about them moving upwards ?

Wouldn't be surprised to see Wagstaff / El Abd leave permanently - if someone like Bobby Reid isn't getting game time, maybe a loan move for him?

3 minutes ago, Shtanley said:

I don' think we would let any of our first teamers go for any price less than ridiculous. Would need to be double figures for Kodjia for us to consider it imo

He may be playing in a struggling team, and wear a dodgy bandage, but surely he is worth a tenner to someone? 

We should certainly think twice about accepting any offer of £9 or less.

1 hour ago, roe said:

But they're all useless and should be replaced by unproven players on 3 times the wage surely?

Exactly. Just look at how the careers of those that have left us have dived. Pitman (can't run), Skuse (useless), Heaton (couldn't catch a cold), Keogh (not solid enough), Bolassie (headless chicken), Albert (inconsistent), JET (luxury player), Cunningham (squad player only), Baldock (only went to Brighton). Every single one of 'em better than what we've got now.

The way things are right now I would blame any of our players for doing an offski.

41 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

They've not exactly put themselves in the shop window. 

The team haven't, but that's my point. We are very focused on the need to bring in, but individually there are players who other teams would like I'm sure, some names already mentioned regularly picking up MOTM awards. We have got some good players.  Not necessarily teams in the Championship, maybe Championship bound and looking to strengthen? Stranger things have happened.

Last season it wasn't a problem, you just knew they were all part of the Promotion dream. This year it feels fractured, so being the fickle things that footballers are (mostly) I wouldn't be at all surprised if they were back to looking out for number one again. 

2 hours ago, RedM said:

Our squad is tiny so its a 'no' from me. 

Without our loan players we can barely make a squad, so I would be surprised if we had a clear out, and that not even considering what SC has said about not liking the January window.

I imagine a number of the players from last year would still be very appealing to certain clubs, as you don't perform to the level Freeman or Smith managed to in the promotion campaign and not win admirers.

But whether people would go for them now is a different matter; imagine potential suitors will wait to see where we sit next summer, both to avoid paying over the odds, and to know quite how they performed at this level over a full campaign.

All that said; hard to see many current first team players going - who on earth would we end up playing?

1 hour ago, Calculus said:

Exactly. Just look at how the careers of those that have left us have dived. Pitman (can't run), Skuse (useless), Heaton (couldn't catch a cold), Keogh (not solid enough), Bolassie (headless chicken), Albert (inconsistent), JET (luxury player), Cunningham (squad player only), Baldock (only went to Brighton). Every single one of 'em better than what we've got now.

The way things are right now I would blame any of our players for doing an offski.

You say every single one of them's better than what we have now but, whilst I can't see anyone in the squad doing a Bolasie, I think there are 5 or 6 players in the squad that can be much better than they've shown so far this season and who, in the right circumstances, could be regulars in  a successful Championship team.  Kodjia aside, I wouldn't be at all surprised to see any or all of Smith, Bryan, Williams, Flint or - poor though he has been so far at times - Freeman end up spending most of their careers at an upper Championship level.

5 hours ago, Calculus said:

Get your general point but I strongly doubt many Brighton fans think the £2m they spent on Baldock for 5 goals in 35 games so far was money well spent. Trust me we saw them coming.

Of ours now only Kodjia and Smith could attract interest but probably El-Abd will be the only one to leave.

Archived