Jump to content
IGNORED

Stop making excuses!


Lov3y1991

Recommended Posts

I am sooooo fed up with hearing the same thing every weekend: "we should of won by 4 or 5". Well actually there is many reasons why we are NOT winning by 4 or 5! 

The referee is in no way to blame today at all. The truth is we didn't spend well in the summer. You cannot play with 3 at the back in the championship unless you have the 3 best defenders in the division. You need to know how to see games out I.e pressing on to score a second or shutting up shop. 

Cotterill does not understand how tactics can affect a game. He should of changed to 4 at the back from 80th minute onwards. 

We have too many players who aren't good enough for this level. 

What made me more angry than anything was cotterill shaking hands with every player by the tunnel at the end of the game. The players were as much to blame as he was and in my opinion need a massive dressing down for not seeing out the win. 

Change needed now before it's too late.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, Lov3y1991 said:

I am sooooo fed up with hearing the same thing every weekend: "we should of won by 4 or 5". Well actually there is many reasons why we are NOT winning by 4 or 5! 

The referee is in no way to blame today at all. The truth is we didn't spend well in the summer. You cannot play with 3 at the back in the championship unless you have the 3 best defenders in the division. You need to know how to see games out I.e pressing on to score a second or shutting up shop. 

Cotterill does not understand how tactics can affect a game. He should of changed to 4 at the back from 80th minute onwards. 

We have too many players who aren't good enough for this level. 

What made me more angry than anything was cotterill shaking hands with every player by the tunnel at the end of the game. The players were as much to blame as he was and in my opinion need a massive dressing down for not seeing out the win. 

Change needed now before it's too late.

Is there some kind of unwritten rule that all new posters have to write crap?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Let me know exactly what you find crap then? I find it crap that we can't beat the worst side in the league at home when we had numerous good chances to kill the game off. Cotterill has no plan B so see a game off. If you don't take your chances you can have no complaints about not winning the game. It really is as simple as that. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

If we didn't press for a second how did we miss all those chances?

If playing with a back 4 was so much better, why did our back 5 limit them to sod all during the game? Strangely enough when you concede from a set piece playing with a back 4 or 5 in open play makes **** all difference.

Is that enough crap to be getting on with?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yes we did press but we didn't take our chances which is my point. Since we weren't taking our chances we should of reverted to protecting the 1 0 win. So therefore we didn't accomplish either of these situations. 

Sod all? They had more shots on target than we did. Plus that is irrelevant when you concede in the 93rd minute. Windass did sod all in the play off final but took Hull to the premier league?

Every team plays with a back 4. 2 strong centre halves and defensively minded full backs. 

We played back 5? You must of been watching a different game to me. Back 3 does not work at this level. Like i said you would need the best 3 defenders in the division for that to work. 

You need a taste of reality. Seems to me you are more worried about your Otib rating rather than speaking the truth and facing up to reality. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Lov3y1991 said:

Yes we did press but we didn't take our chances which is my point. Since we weren't taking our chances we should of reverted to protecting the 1 0 win. So therefore we didn't accomplish either of these situations. 

Sod all? They had more shots on target than we did. Plus that is irrelevant when you concede in the 93rd minute. Windass did sod all in the play off final but took Hull to the premier league?

Every team plays with a back 4. 2 strong centre halves and defensively minded full backs. 

We played back 5? You must of been watching a different game to me. Back 3 does not work at this level. Like i said you would need the best 3 defenders in the division for that to work. 

You need a taste of reality. Seems to me you are more worried about your Otib rating rather than speaking the truth and facing up to reality. 

No your point was you should decide how to manage a game, by pressing for a second or shutting up. We clearly pressed for a second so what has Cotterill done wrong there? Would you have liked him to take the penalty, Freeman's chance or others himself?

Name me one time they really threatened before the goal. Frankie had half a save to make from the same lad who scored but that's it. How many chances did we pass up to them? If you think they had more chances God help you. Even their own bloody manager disagrees with you.

If 3 at the back worked so badly why did we look so comfortable in open play? We conceded from a free kick, we could've been playing 2-6-2 and it would've made absolutely no difference at that point.

I couldn't give a shit about otib rating (although thank you for noticing) I care about you spouting bollocks. That ok?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It has everything to do with it. A solid defence will see out games like today and we go home happy with 3 points. How much longer are you prepared to take this for? It was not a lucky bounce it was a poor clearance and panic at the back. The defence wasn't my main point anyway. My main point is that we don't know how to win a game. We need to be mature in our play and see games out. If you think Baker, Flint and Ayling are robust enough to see games out then you must be crazy. Not good enough to play with just 3 of them. Worked in league one but clearly not at this level, how many other teams do you see doing it?!?!?!?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Robin1988 said:

No your point was you should decide how to manage a game, by pressing for a second or shutting up. We clearly pressed for a second so what has Cotterill done wrong there? Would you have liked him to take the penalty, Freeman's chance or others himself?

Name me one time they really threatened before the goal. Frankie had half a save to make from the same lad who scored but that's it. How many chances did we pass up to them? If you think they had more chances God help you. Even their own bloody manager disagrees with you.

If 3 at the back worked so badly why did we look so comfortable in open play? We conceded from a free kick, we could've been playing 2-6-2 and it would've made absolutely no difference at that point.

I couldn't give a shit about otib rating (although thank you for noticing) I care about you spouting bollocks. That ok?

We looked comfortable in open play because we were by far the better team in possession in the final 2/3rds of the pitch. (Simple answer). But when our defence was threatened we were vulnerable and conceded. We should of learnt from the MK Dons game. If you think 3 at the back works at this level then I would invite you to look at he championship table a bit more closely. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

You know when you defend a set piece you don't just stand there in a 4-4-2 line-up don't you?

We made one mistake and got punished for it. You can blame Cotterill all you want for not pushing for a second (?) or having a set number of players in defence completely irrelevant to the goal we conceded, sure.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Lov3y1991 said:

It has everything to do with it. A solid defence will see out games like today and we go home happy with 3 points. How much longer are you prepared to take this for? It was not a lucky bounce it was a poor clearance and panic at the back. The defence wasn't my main point anyway. My main point is that we don't know how to win a game. We need to be mature in our play and see games out. If you think Baker, Flint and Ayling are robust enough to see games out then you must be crazy. Not good enough to play with just 3 of them. Worked in league one but clearly not at this level, how many other teams do you see doing it?!?!?!?

 

 

Not many, but we are where we are. These players have been playing this system for the best part of two years now. To assume this squad has a better chance of staying up by clicking our fingers and assuming it will all click in a new system is a big call. Derby?

It may be medium term this does need to be addressed. You can look at tactics all you like however, the issue today was finishing, pure and simple.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Lov3y1991 said:

We looked comfortable in open play because we were by far the better team in possession in the final 2/3rds of the pitch. (Simple answer). But when our defence was threatened we were vulnerable and conceded. We should of learnt from the MK Dons game. If you think 3 at the back works at this level then I would invite you to look at he championship table a bit more closely. 

Here's a thought bud. They forced two saves from Fielding all game and one was routine. Do you not think our defence might have dealt with their threats rather well?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Robin1988 said:

You know when you defend a set piece you don't just stand there in a 4-4-2 line-up don't you?

We made one mistake and got punished for it. You can blame Cotterill all you want for not pushing for a second (?) or having a set number of players in defence completely irrelevant to the goal we conceded, sure.

You are jumping on the formation bandwagon far too much now. It's about professionalism and mentality to see these games out (formation doesn't help l, but isn't the sole reason). The players are as much to blame as cotterill like I said in the original post. Doesn't matter how we conceded the fact is we did concede and lost 2 very vital points. If you're happy with that and can't suggest where any of the issues are then you don't really have a leg to stand on. Professional teams would time waste, keep the ball and put their bodies on the line in 4 minutes additional time. We didn't. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It was ONE of my points and you seemed to take it as my only point as your football knowledge is obviously very small. Take a look at the top teams in this division and you count up how many play with a back 3. Then count up how many have two solid centre halves and see how they are doing in the division ;) The league table does not lie. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, cityexile said:

 

 

Not many, but we are where we are. These players have been playing this system for the best part of two years now. To assume this squad has a better chance of staying up by clicking our fingers and assuming it will all click in a new system is a big call. Derby?

It may be medium term this does need to be addressed. You can look at tactics all you like however, the issue today was finishing, pure and simple.

I like your point. But if you don't concede you can't lose. If your score 1 and don't concede you can't draw or lose. So can you really blame finishing as the only reason? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Why do people keep banging on about the formation? It's missed chances that are costing, it's that simple. We need too many chances to score. Yet, as been mentioned previously, if you make mistakes in this division, the standard of strikers in this division will punish you. Unfortunately, we haven't got one of those strikers. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Simon79 said:

Why do people keep banging on about the formation? It's missed chances that are costing, it's that simple. We need too many chances to score. Yet, as been mentioned previously, if you make mistakes in this division, the standard of strikers in this division will punish you. Unfortunately, we haven't got one of those strikers. 

Exactly....If we/you take chances teams are not pressuring you if you dont they are still in it...Its pretty simple

We should have been 5 up before the 95th minute. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Simon79 said:

Why do people keep banging on about the formation? It's missed chances that are costing, it's that simple. We need too many chances to score. Yet, as been mentioned previously, if you make mistakes in this division, the standard of strikers in this division will punish you. Unfortunately, we haven't got one of those strikers. 

But defences in this division are so strong so you need more chances. However our defence is so weak and teams only need one chance to punish us which has happened so many times already this season. Formation matters and so does keeping our goals not just scoring them! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Lov3y1991 said:

I am sooooo fed up with hearing the same thing every weekend: "we should of won by 4 or 5". Well actually there is many reasons why we are NOT winning by 4 or 5! 

The referee is in no way to blame today at all. The truth is we didn't spend well in the summer. You cannot play with 3 at the back in the championship unless you have the 3 best defenders in the division. You need to know how to see games out I.e pressing on to score a second or shutting up shop. 

Cotterill does not understand how tactics can affect a game. He should of changed to 4 at the back from 80th minute onwards. 

We have too many players who aren't good enough for this level. 

What made me more angry than anything was cotterill shaking hands with every player by the tunnel at the end of the game. The players were as much to blame as he was and in my opinion need a massive dressing down for not seeing out the win. 

Change needed now before it's too late.

Utter rubbish ... Were you at derby ????? Did you see what 4 at the back done for us. Stick to your x box and keep telling yourself that your a footballing genius. Have you ever even kicked a ball ??? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, robin4ever said:

Utter rubbish ... Were you at derby ????? Did you see what 4 at the back done for us. Stick to your x box and keep telling yourself that your a footballing genius. Have you ever even kicked a ball ??? 

But Derby are a top championship side Charlton aren't??????? Didn't think that one through did you? 

I would expect to beat a poor championship side at home. Wouldn't expect a win away from home against a team challenging for promotion. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Lov3y1991 said:

I like your point. But if you don't concede you can't lose. If your score 1 and don't concede you can't draw or lose. So can you really blame finishing as the only reason? 

Clearly.

Having seen a lot of these relegation clashes over the years, they are often niggly poor matches with loads of mistakes. When winning, teams also get nervous. In some ways I was impressed we kept on the front foot for as long as we did. Just the last few minutes really it sounded like we were sitting back.

We have to win the header for the long ball that comes in for their goal, and this is relegation form for sure, but you can never guarantee a clean sheet. If wehae simply tried to defend the one nil, equally many would have had a go. This was overwhelmingly about a lack of quality in front of their goal.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Lov3y1991 said:

But defences in this division are so strong so you need more chances. However our defence is so weak and teams only need one chance to punish us which has happened so many times already this season. Formation matters and so does keeping our goals not just scoring them! 

Chances are by definition chances. Goalkeepers are better so strikers need to be more clinical...We are creating chances and not taking them, that begets pressure as the opposition go to try find a winner, equalizer.

Scoring and defending are not mutually exclusive. We need to score more and we will almost certainly concede less particularly late on! Do you not think? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Lov3y1991 said:

But defences in this division are so strong so you need more chances. However our defence is so weak and teams only need one chance to punish us which has happened so many times already this season. Formation matters and so does keeping our goals not just scoring them! 

So defences in this division are so strong ( yet we create numerous chances ), but still don't put it in the back of the net. Yet other teams create one chance and score. And you think it's the formation that's the problem? It comes back to the same old thing, put the ball in the back of the net. Not that I like saying this, but as an example, if we had the Maynard we remember, we would be possibly top half.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

We were chatting about this on the way home and the basic issue is "Game management!!" 

Why were we offside  from our own goal kick in the last minute giving them a chance to counter attack and score? This is basic forward play

Why didn't we try and run and play the balls into the corners?- I'm sure Kidija could keep the ball there all day with his skill

Why didn't the manager realise that a pair of fresh legs will run more than a pair of tired ones?

We have an experienced manager and some experienced pros who should know this and pass it on.... Until we learn how to do these things we will continue to concede in the ,last minute to dreadful teams such as Charlton

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...