IGNORED

Steve Cotterill - Master Tactician

Nomad

1 minute ago, Rednwhiterob said:

I sincerely hope you're right, but where do you think those 12 points are going to come from? We might get them by the end of March at this rate.

This is but a moment in time, I have seen many times in the last fifty years that many clubs and fans have under estimated B.C.F.C it would be wise for some of our own fans not to make the same mistake.

2 minutes ago, spudski said:

I'm not panicking old boy...if SC changes the way we set up to play, we could quiet easily end up lower mid table imho.

12 points sounds a small amount...but it's a massive amount at this time of the season.

I truly believe we could strengthen in places...but continue playing in the same vein and it won't make any difference.

Time will tell, SC needs more.

11 minutes ago, glos old boy said:

Yes we are in the bottom 3 but only 12pts behind Cardiff in 8th; we have no given right to take points from any club and this season will be taken as a learning curve.

You can be sure SC will be doing his best to fill the positions that we need strengthening in; it will be at least 4mths before I`m throwing the towel in or giving up on a manager who has lifted this club out of the Dreariness.

Feel free to continue to panic though we will be fine....you`ll see.

Problem is you were still predicting Play Offs until recently Glos 

Have your expectations changed ?

2 minutes ago, 42nite said:

Only 12  points behind Cardiff

Thats only 4  wins!

How many games have we won all season?

There you go with the negative vibes man, (all means all season, in fact its half) we are not far away from quelling the doubters.

3 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Problem is you were still predicting Play Offs until recently Glos 

Have your expectations changed ?

There is no problem, I expect the unexpected with our club; rule nothing out until its impossible

10 minutes ago, glos old boy said:

This is but a moment in time, I have seen many times in the last fifty years that many clubs and fans have under estimated B.C.F.C it would be wise for some of our own fans not to make the same mistake.

So how many points will we garner from the next few games?

Burnley A

Reading A

Preston H

Boro' H

Leeds A

Birmingham A

That takes us to the end of Jan and being generous I think we'll get 6 points from those if things don't change.

3 minutes ago, glos old boy said:

There is no problem, I expect the unexpected with our club; rule nothing out until its impossible

I'm all for being positive Old boy...but sometimes we have to face reality...I've seen nothing yet to think we won't keep conceding.

What have you seen that I haven't?

10 minutes ago, Rednwhiterob said:

So how many points will we garner from the next few games?

Burnley A

Reading A

Preston H

Boro' H

Leeds A

Birmingham A

That takes us to the end of Jan and being generous I think we'll get 6 points from those if things don't change.

I can see 3 at the moment. Hope that changes. Needs to!

20 minutes ago, glos old boy said:

There you go with the negative vibes man, (all means all season, in fact its half) we are not far away from quelling the doubters.

Not negative vibes but cold facts. Nobody wants our team to fail but if we replicate the second half of the season  we will only see another two home wins. Relegation form for sure. For each dropped point at home we have to turn away draws into wins. Looking a big ask at the moment.

Keep hearing about the 3 worse teams than us but at the moment there are only 2 worse than us, 2 points from 2 home games not good enough in my opinion considering the opposition, can't see any points from Burnley (massive well done to people making that trip) and Reading away going to be tricky, hate to say it and trying to be optimistic but its starting to look like a relegation season which will be a disaster in my opinion.

2 hours ago, spudski said:

With respect...do you not think it's a bit sad fans are rejoicing in the fact we got promotion from league 1 and find ourselves in the bottom 3 of the Championship.

Considering the resources this club has had over the years, it's hardly something to write home about.

This season is just like when John Ward took us up...he ran out of ideas...and we were also very offensive and conceded goals for fun.

Look where that ended up...not Benny's fault...but poor recruitment and tactics by Ward to start with.

Forgot about defence and thought buying just forwards was the answer.

We did try, didn't we? I seem to recall that chap from Hull being strongly linked - Chester was it? 

Our problem, as I saw/see it, is we forgot our standing. To some extent I think our fans have forgotten our standing too. Too much impatience and too much expectation. Sure we can't rest on our laurels especially with the Prem doing all it can to create a closed shop, but I don't think we are in a relegation battle through incompetence, I think that's where we belong and what I personally expected and accepted. Come through it and then we can build upon it.

Chasing vanity signings was very poor. I don't know who's idea that was but I wouldn't be surprised one bit if SL encouraged it - he has form for getting ahead of ourselves. 

27 minutes ago, 29AR said:

We did try, didn't we? I seem to recall that chap from Hull being strongly linked - Chester was it? 

Our problem, as I saw/see it, is we forgot our standing. To some extent I think our fans have forgotten our standing too. Too much impatience and too much expectation. Sure we can't rest on our laurels especially with the Prem doing all it can to create a closed shop, but I don't think we are in a relegation battle through incompetence, I think that's where we belong and what I personally expected and accepted. Come through it and then we can build upon it.

Chasing vanity signings was very poor. I don't know who's idea that was but I wouldn't be surprised one bit if SL encouraged it - he has form for getting ahead of ourselves. 

OMG!

Getting ahead of ourselves to hope that an all conquering League 1 double winning club would push towards the top half of the table like almost all of the other promoted teams, particularly the champions, in the last 5 years or so?

Talk about a lack of ambition if bottom 3 halfway through the season was the best you could hope for.

Unless of course you are suggesting that you could predict that this was where we would be??

If that is the case, which division do you anticipate we will be playing in next season? 

1 hour ago, Dr Balls said:

OMG!

Getting ahead of ourselves to hope that an all conquering League 1 double winning club would push towards the top half of the table like almost all of the other promoted teams, particularly the champions, in the last 5 years or so?

Talk about a lack of ambition if bottom 3 halfway through the season was the best you could hope for.

Unless of course you are suggesting that you could predict that this was where we would be??

If that is the case, which division do you anticipate we will be playing in next season? 

The Championship is getting ever more competitive. All other promoted teams DO NOT compete in the top half always (or sustain it) - see MK Dons, see Preston, see others in recent times - Rotherham, donny, Yeovil. The norm as top half I do not subscribe to. Some have done it with excellent infrastructure - Wolves. Some have done it with exceptional management - Brentford and Bournemouth (and money for the latter). They are exceptions. We are/were not in the same boat as either. We do not have one of the games brightest young managers (no sly on SC) nor did we have the infrastructure (and history) already in place like Wolves.

Never did I say I had hoped for 21st.  I actually hoped top 10 but caveated that 21st would be a season competently navigated with a young squad adjusting. 

Ok so Doncaster didn't exactly make a splash going straight back down but all the rest of the champions at least established themselves at this level, with a few subsequently going onto promotion to the Premiership shortly afterwards.

By contrast we have managed to squander most if not all of the things that we achieved last season. And I see that as incompetence rather than ill fortune!

4 hours ago, Robin1988 said:

Why change a team battering the opposition? There was none of them hammering on the door, no indication we were about to concede. We didn't NEED to change, as of 92.30.

Everyone sitting around me knew we would concede.  It's just the law of football after spurning all those chances.  Twas ever thus. 

We had fresh legs on the bench.  In a game where swirling wind had meant a lot of tiring running for everyone  why not bring someone on? An injection of pace against a tiring (and shit) Charlton may well have led to  goal or at least kept them pinned back and rsn the clock down.

I'm a Cotterill loyalist,  but he ****** right up today. 

10 minutes ago, Dr Balls said:

Ok so Doncaster didn't exactly make a splash going straight back down but all the rest of the champions at least established themselves at this level, with a few subsequently going onto promotion to the Premiership shortly afterwards.

By contrast we have managed to squander most if not all of the things that we achieved last season. And I see that as incompetence rather than ill fortune!

I think It's Apples and Pears though. Of the champions we are talking: Leicester, Soton, Norwich, Brighton, Charlton, Wolves, Donny, us in recent years. 

What you have there are massive clubs: Leicester,  Soton, Norwich, Wolves. They had recent successes, the infrastructure in place and a history of being a stepping stone for players. I don't think we can honestly expect to follow those footsteps. They were coming at it from a much better place than we were, even though our achievement just the same. 

Charlton I think are just outside the bracket, but still had a march on us particularly with the London factor. 

So really I don't think there is readacross. 

Archived