IGNORED

4 wins in 23

Jesus

I'm just trying to get my head around why so many people are backing the manager. 4 wins in 23. Remember that. 

Ok, so I'm interested in hearing from fans that think SC is going to get us out of this mess. Why do you think he will get us out? Also, imagine that last season hadn't happened and this was our 2nd season in the Championship. Would you still be as supportive? As it seems to me, last season has completely blinkered most people.  

I still back him because of the mess that was made in the summer - he hasn't had a fair chance in this league with us IMO - if we were able to get some support on board over the summer we either wouldn't be in this mess we are in or I would be shouting for his head.

If he can't convince players to come here in Jan (a harder job than the summer) then I think we need to look elsewhere but by that point it will be too late so we may as well stick with him.

The irony being if he can't bring anyone in and we stay up I think we should replace him but if we get relegated then he should probably stay to get us back up.

Those 9 draws are certainly helping us...

Somewhere within the tale of those 9 draws is your answer, just how many of those should we have won, and what is the margin of difference?

Yesterday's draw sounds like one we should have converted into 3 points.

Thank God we are not already dead and buried.

• We have also lost 4 games out of the last 10, which means we have drawn or won more than we have lost.
  • On another day many of those draws could easily turn into wins.
  • We will strengthen in the required areas.
  • SC deserves at least this season as he was the one who got us here.
  • We have learned a lot from our first half season in this div and everyone will do their utmost to keep us in this div.
  • Even if a new man came in there would be no guarantees we would stay in this div, who ever he maybe.
  • A few fans that are running around like headless chickens need to get a grip and calm down.
  • It will be 4mths at least before I even think we may go down, but at this moment in time nah,
  •  Is a horse near the back of The National after halfway, going to stay there or is he just about to challenge.
  • Keep calm and lets carry on :city:

The problem is he is stubborn, I would think he cannot take advice, and feels his authority is compromised in doing so. Witness the subs and how he handles that? When players are flagging, and especially when we are defending a narrow lead, not to bring on fresh legs is criminal. If this one aspect of his management could be improved on, then we just mght be OK.

1 hour ago, Jesus said:

I'm just trying to get my head around why so many people are backing the manager. 4 wins in 23. Remember that. 

Ok, so I'm interested in hearing from fans that think SC is going to get us out of this mess. Why do you think he will get us out? Also, imagine that last season hadn't happened and this was our 2nd season in the Championship. Would you still be as supportive? As it seems to me, last season has completely blinkered most people.  

4 wins in 23 is the headline, but it doesn't tell the full story. I am split on whether we should make a change or not, but the reasons why it's not a straightforward decision are (in my opinion) as follows:-

- We are competitive in almost every game; we are not getting hammered every week.

- We do create many chances but fail to take them, which suggests the setup of the team is broadly working, but a lack of individual quality is letting us down.

- The team continue to work very hard in every game and there is clearly no suggestion that he has "lost the dressing room".

- We are not playing a negative brand of football that breeds disinterest amongst the fans.

- Cotterill's achievements last season have probably given him a stay of execution at board level that wouldn't have applied to another manager (Although I don't believe this has blinkered "most" fans as you claim)

1 hour ago, Jesus said:

4 wins in 23 with over half the side that was bottom of league one when he arrived.... No financial backing in the summer and little offerings from the loan market. Two bids that were nothing more than publicity stunts which naive so called supporters like you believe. People who know football and who don't get a childish kick out of personal vendetta s against the manager would realise this. We play attractive football , have had a large chunk of bad luck and have a team that gives a 100 per cent .... Unfortunately SC has took them to their maximum. SL NEEDS TO STOP DOING THIS ON THE CHEAP and give the man the bloody tools to do the job...IMO

I'm just not sure anymore. I'm okay with the system/shape we play, I'm okay with the mostly attractive football we play and the chances we create. I'm even ok with when it goes wrong and we occasionally get thumped. Those aren't the games we would generally expect to get much from anyway. 

No, what's shaking my support is the failure to react to what's happening on the pitch. Yesterday Kodjia should have been replaced by Burns for the last 15 mins or so. The other week Baker was a red card waiting to happen, MK Dons was another example where a change was required to stop the opposition gaining momentum, and there are no doubt other times where our hold on the game is slipping away, and he has failed to respond. IMO this reluctance to make a change and give the opposition something to think about had cost us quite a few points.

The season we went down tailed off at the bottom we had 41 points, now halfway through this season we have 21 so it's clear we must improve in the 2nd half of the season or get relegated. In my view this will depend on who we get in the transfer window, if we can get 3 or 4 experienced Championship players in the right positions we should be OK, if we continue with what we've got then we won't. I don't think a change of manager would help, several games would be wasted while he assessed the squad etc. and we haven't got time for that. I think Charlton are worse than us and Bolton have so many off-field problems I think they're certs to go down, so we've got to finish above another team, maybe MK Dons.

38 minutes ago, fly in the air said:

So correct me if I am wrong some are saying keep cotts in case we go down. Please someone tell me I did not read that. The club can't afford to go down

Yes it can. If the worst happens we wouldn`t go out of business or into admin, we`ll still be watching BCFC at a (much improved) Ashton Gate. SL will have looked at every conceivable outcome for this season from finishing top to being tailed off at the bottom and there will be contingency plans in place for all of the possible scenarios. We haven`t spunked millions on journeymen just looking for a last payday and I personally think that if we do go down (I`d rather we didn`t obviously) we will come back stronger and wiser.

Relegation would be an unmitigated financial disaster for many clubs (Leeds, Forest, Fulham, Wolves etc.) but it would not be for BCFC.

Don't forget we've only won 2 home games on a Saturday all calander year, last one coming 28th of Feb. not won at home on a Saturday in 10 months! Incredible seeing as we've had a promotion in that time. 

1 hour ago, ashton_fan said:

The season we went down tailed off at the bottom we had 41 points, now halfway through this season we have 21 so it's clear we must improve in the 2nd half of the season or get relegated. In my view this will depend on who we get in the transfer window, if we can get 3 or 4 experienced Championship players in the right positions we should be OK, if we continue with what we've got then we won't. I don't think a change of manager would help, several games would be wasted while he assessed the squad etc. and we haven't got time for that. I think Charlton are worse than us and Bolton have so many off-field problems I think they're certs to go down, so we've got to finish above another team, maybe MK Dons.

Agree with much of that, now it all depends on how the others do.

Had we held on for ninety seconds longer yesterday we'd be two places higher.

The bottom five (or six, or seven the way that Fulham are going ) look like all getting far less than the expected 50 points needed to stay up.

4 wins in 23 would usually see you rock bottom, but if our goal difference was better we wouldn't even be in the bottom three.

I think 47 points might well be enough this year, but we'll certainly need to win 6 or (more likely) 7 more to do that.

1 hour ago, Sir Leigh of Somerset said:

I'd hoped that 'Jesus' might have taken a day off on a Sunday!

I would have thought that Jesus would be a little more understanding. It does feel as though he is betraying SC by posting this thread. Surely after his tribulations with Judas he would understand that bitching about SC behind his back is not on. I even suspect that he went to SC's house for dinner last night!

2 hours ago, glos old boy said:
  • We have also lost 4 games out of the last 10, which means we have drawn or won more than we have lost.
  • On another day many of those draws could easily turn into wins.
  • We will strengthen in the required areas.
  • SC deserves at least this season as he was the one who got us here.
  • We have learned a lot from our first half season in this div and everyone will do their utmost to keep us in this div.
  • Even if a new man came in there would be no guarantees we would stay in this div, who ever he maybe.
  • A few fans that are running around like headless chickens need to get a grip and calm down.
  • It will be 4mths at least before I even think we may go down, but at this moment in time nah,
  •  Is a horse near the back of The National after halfway, going to stay there or is he just about to challenge.
  • Keep calm and lets carry on :city:

There's some really good posts on here this morning , this one for me is the best of them , but I do agree that SC's substitutions ( or lack of them) are woeful and that he doesn't always react quickly enough to what's happening in a match . 

Hes definately a stubborn character which  in good times was a strength but now considered a weakness . Someone on another thread mentioned something about Chris Ramsey replacing him . Don't know about that , but he'd be a brilliant No.2 , if his voice was heard .

Meanwhile , let's hope for a good transfer window, luck with injuries and a bit more luck on the pitch . The team needs to evolve for sure and the club needs evolution not revolution . 

I think yesterday epitomises our season. Complete failure to take chances. There has only been a handful of games where we have been particularly poor, all the others have been our inability to convert and lapses at the back. Unfortunately that is football and the players we have are just not quite good enough. They know the system well, usually compete very well but they simply aren't quite there and this is where January is crucial we pick up the right players. 

We cannot realistically expect to be higher up the league with a combination of not taking chances, lapses at the back and I think probably a lack of proactive management when games end up close in scoreline like yesterday irrespective of whether we happening to be dominating and the other team doesn't look like scoring.

All three of these factors have badly impacted the season but I don't believe that is all Cotts fault. There is a simple lack of ability there aswell for this league. I have no idea whose fault it is we didn't get more players in but even without them some of the chances have been really gilt edged and some of the lapses just woeful.

Just got to hope that they are all learning and don't give up and we do get some players in quickly in January. I can't fault their efforts but you can easily fault the ability which is why overall we do need some better players and not necessarily a change of manager at this stage in my opinion at the moment.

10 minutes ago, redapple said:

There's some really good posts on here this morning , this one for me is the best of them , but I do agree that SC's substitutions ( or lack of them) are woeful and that he doesn't always react quickly enough to what's happening in a match . 

Hes definately a stubborn character which  in good times was a strength but now considered a weakness . Someone on another thread mentioned something about Chris Ramsey replacing him . Don't know about that , but he'd be a brilliant No.2 , if his voice was heard .

Meanwhile , let's hope for a good transfer window, luck with injuries and a bit more luck on the pitch . The team needs to evolve for sure and the club needs evolution not revolution . 

:clap:In one mate

2 hours ago, robin4ever said:

4 wins in 23 with over half the side that was bottom of league one when he arrived.... No financial backing in the summer and little offerings from the loan market. Two bids that were nothing more than publicity stunts which naive so called supporters like you believe. People who know football and who don't get a childish kick out of personal vendetta s against the manager would realise this. We play attractive football , have had a large chunk of bad luck and have a team that gives a 100 per cent .... Unfortunately SC has took them to their maximum. SL NEEDS TO STOP DOING THIS ON THE CHEAP and give the man the bloody tools to do the job...IMO

On what authority do you know for a fact that the failed offers were just publicity stunts, and what right do you have to label those who don't share your view as "naive so-called supporters"?

It would be a rather strange publicity stunt to make the club look foolish when the bids don't come off. We have no reason to believe they were anything other than failed attempts to sign players that didn't come off, as Lansdown has stated again recently.

3 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

On what authority do you know for a fact that the failed offers were just publicity stunts, and what right do you have to label those who don't share your view as "naive so-called supporters"?

It would be a rather strange publicity stunt to make the club look foolish when the bids don't come off. We have no reason to believe they were anything other than failed attempts to sign players that didn't come off, as Lansdown has stated again recently.

The FACT that we won't pay the going rate/our pay structure ...... Same thing really ... FACT... I obviously know a little more than you IMO

24 minutes ago, robin4ever said:

The FACT that we won't pay the going rate/our pay structure ...... Same thing really ... FACT... I obviously know a little more than you IMO

Again, not necessarily fact, just your reading of the situation.

Lansdown stated categorically in his interview last week that we COULD meet the wage demands of Gray, but he had already made his mind up to go to Burnley where he felt he had a better chance of promotion.

I have no reason not to believe him and indeed no reason to believe you.

Stating "I obviously know a little more than you" just reinforces the impression that you arrogantly believe you know better than everyone else.

The halfway point has been reached.  The poster of this thread points out 4 wins in 23 games.  It is also worth pointing out if we also only win 4 in the next 23 we will be relegated (most likely).  Dropping into the bottom 3 going into the new year will have alarm bells ringing in high places. Back to good old league one and the taunts of 'One year and you *****D it up' will resound around certain quarters again ! 

The close season, pre season, has been beaten to death on here, and the comments on a very good interview with Lansdown a week back on Radio Bristol should be considered.  The club clearly knows where the issues are and I would hope heaven and earth will be  moved to correct the issues in January. Goal scorer, midfield older head, and so on.  lansdown alluded to that quite clearly.  We are also blessed as I suspect we are one of the few teams who can splash a bit of cash in the bottom 6.  Lets wait and see and watch this space.  No spending, relegation, slight improvement and safety. We will finish above Bolton, should finish above Charlton, leaves about 5 or 6 clubs wanting to avoid one place ?  

Cotts will be here all season.  He is supported by the club and all he has done will not be forgotten.  If the unthinkable happened then I cannot see him staying (or wanting to) but we certainly need 7 wins last half of the season with some draws and i can see us staying up by our fingertips.  SL is waiting for the wish list ! 

5 hours ago, Jesus said:

Also, imagine that last season hadn't happened and this was our 2nd season in the Championship. Would you still be as supportive?

What is this nonsense I keep reading on here? Last season did happen and Steve Cotterill was the genius behind it all. This isn't our 2nd season in the championship so what would be the point in "imagining" anything? Although I do appreciate the irony in a poster called Jesus talking about imagining things.

Overall we've still got a decent squad that has played pretty well in a lot of games this season. Ok so they haven't got the results that we'd all like so far this season but we're really not that far away.  The least Steve Cotterill deserves is ONE transfer window to rectify what went wrong in the summer and strengthen in an area (quality up front) that let us down yesterday and in numerous other games this season.

55 minutes ago, robin4ever said:

Lansdown stated that Gayle wanted Prem football and Gray wanted to join a club he felt were better suited to give him a chance of Premier League football, so it's not a FACT at all.

Archived