IGNORED

Mr Lansdown, admit your mistakes and bring them in.

BCFC Jordan

How many times? There would be no point bringing JET back as he wouldn't get Cotts first eleven. Jeez. It's not hard to understand. The only thing that would make it a possibility is if Cotts was sacked but I'd choose Cotts as manager over JET every day of the week. Smith is a different matter tho not convinced that there aren't better alternatives.

Pretty sure the OP isn't referring to JET but is asking that our owner spends a bit of his cash in the window..

Expect to hear that he old lines "I haven't said no to any target" and "I'll back the manager in the transfer market" quite a lot over the next few weeks..

I'm still a bit confused why certain posters seem so certain the transfer debacle was the fault of Lansdown or the board. As far as i'm aware nobody has explained what exactly went wrong or who was responsible. It seems a bit silly to blame lansdown based on rumour alone, especially as letting JET go seems to have been Cotts' decision.

One permanent signing.

Allowing Elliott, JET, Cunningham, Tavernier, Smith and even Osborne to leave without being replaced was going to send us in one direction, and it certainly wasn't up.

How we messed up the momentum of last season will forever be a cause for bemusement. Opportunity well and truly missed.

1 minute ago, LondonBristolian said:

I'm still a bit confused why certain posters seem so certain the transfer debacle was the fault of Lansdown or the board. As far as i'm aware nobody has explained what exactly went wrong or who was responsible. It seems a bit silly to blame lansdown based on rumour alone, especially as letting JET go seems to have been Cotts' decision.

I thought it was Jets decision?.

5 minutes ago, spudski said:

Cotts recently said that he didn't offer Jet a contract...especially as he had heard of Jets agents activities.

Yeah that's how I understand it too.

http://www.bcfc.co.uk/news/article/cotterill-on-jets-ashton-gate-return-2857419.aspx

“Jay is a great lad and him moving on was down to his need for regular football,” said the City boss. 

"I’m not saying he wouldn’t have wanted to stay but that was the decision we made, albeit a difficult one. He was brilliant for me and we wish him good luck – I look forward to seeing him.

I don't regret it and I doubt Jay does either. He needed to go somewhere where he could play regular football and he felt that as well "

2 minutes ago, IAmNick said:

Yeah that's how I understand it too.

http://www.bcfc.co.uk/news/article/cotterill-on-jets-ashton-gate-return-2857419.aspx

“Jay is a great lad and him moving on was down to his need for regular football,” said the City boss. 

"I’m not saying he wouldn’t have wanted to stay but that was the decision we made, albeit a difficult one. He was brilliant for me and we wish him good luck – I look forward to seeing him.

I don't regret it and I doubt Jay does either. He needed to go somewhere where he could play regular football and he felt that as well "

Jet must have a strange definition of 'regular'.

8 minutes ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

So pretty much a joint decision then.

I'm guessing Jet would have thought about staying if he would get regular football under SC. Not sat on the bench... He wasn't, so got his agent to look for another Club for him and SC didn't offer him a contract.

Personally I'd rather have JET here, playing a different system...over SC being here...but you know that already.

27 minutes ago, BCFC Jordan said:

One permanent signing.

Allowing Elliott, JET, Cunningham, Tavernier, Smith and even Osborne to leave without being replaced was going to send us in one direction, and it certainly wasn't up.

How we messed up the momentum of last season will forever be a cause for bemusement. Opportunity well and truly missed.

This I can mostly agree with but by putting a picture of Jet and Smith suggested you wanted them back and that was what I took issue with. They, in particular Jet, would not be the answer to our current problem.

I'm guessing Jet would have thought about staying if he would get regular football under SC. Not sat on the bench... He wasn't, so got his agent to look for another Club for him and SC didn't offer him a contract.

Personally I'd rather have JET here, playing a different system...over SC being here...but you know that already.

But still cannot get a 'regular' spot in a faltering team, playing a different system of which you speak, but hey I expect his bank account is looking even better and that's the most important thing in the modern game.

And so joined another club on a three year contract.. to sit on the bench.

Agree totally about Cunningham (madness), even think Osborne would be a useful sub, but JET isn't the reason we're bottom three, one permanent signing by August 31st and a squad of about 16 is.

51 minutes ago, BCFC Jordan said:

One permanent signing.

I always thought retiring Wade before a suitable replacement was not a wise move; as for the other players... little to disagree with there in the same vein. Coming back to haunt us now alright.

JET wanted to stay. He said so. Having had a player like him with the flair to unlock a defence shrug off defenders score goals create assists, in short do everything you would want in a championship - we let him go. As far as I can see because he didn't fit in with the Managers narrow ideas about formation. Brilliant. If it was for financial reasons it's even worse. Until the hoped-for time when we are in the Premiership we will always have to pay over the odds because as yet we do not have sufficient pedigree to attract quality players or managers come to that. This is all despite the fact that JET won us many games and always was a team player, his assists show that. As for accusations that JET was lazy - what a load of tosh. In a Cup game he ran practically the length of the pitch to score. If a manager cannot find a way to start a player like that in every game by devising a different kind of formation to suit, it means that you have a very limited manager, one who cannot change plans when it's needed ie. when we are losing games, as we are at the moment.

On top of that we are finding out that unless the Club can show about a million times more imagination in making the prospect of playing for us attractive then we will never progress past the lower leagues.

Sorry lads - well peed off about the way the people in charge at all levels have truly B******ed up.

A MERRY CHRISTMAS AND HAPPY NEW YEAR TO YOU ALL

42 minutes ago, BCFC Jordan said:

One permanent signing.

It's scary when you look at that list...

we we relied on much if the season with smith and jet and they both aren't here either.

we have gone up a division and not improved in squad depth, or the quality of the players.

worrying times.

1 hour ago, BCFC Jordan said:

Funnily enough, having one actual goal threat within the whole squad doesn't work. Relying on a 36 year-old to play two games in three days. Embarrassing.

Act now and make up for the farce of the summer transfer window.

Bring them in.

liV5StW.jpg

When you say 'act now' do you mean 'now' or is it SL and/or SC's fault that the transfer window isn't quite open.

Whoever they bring in now is going to be a gamble.

Do they go for experienced Championship players and hope that they can negotiate a deal that means any incoming players take a drop in salary in the event or relegation, or do they need to get hungry players from a lower leagues who want to prove themselves?

Not much on that list really. Smith is a Fulham player so beyond our control. Not sure Tavernier or Osborne up to Championship level, would JET have been picked? Cunningham may have been a mistake, but we had Williams and Bryan, then added Baker, so would he have played?

Part of the problem has been the L1 players not being as effective, so harking back to L1 players seems bizarre.

7 minutes ago, Bristol born said:

A £billion backed club run by non league level board members, an absolute discace considering where we were back in May. The leaders at our club should hang their heads in shame.

If they players didn't want to come, or we couldn't afford the wages - what, exactly should they have done?

If they'd have signed league 1 players people would have cited lack of ambition, if they'd have broken the bank and found themselves in the same position it would have been a case of 'typical lansdown, throwing money away - what happened to the 5 pillars?'

Agreed that things are dire at the moment, but I didn't foresee it. They way we walked the title latest season suggested to me that the vast majority of that squad would make the step up. Would imagine that without the application of a crystal ball, most would have thought the same.

20 minutes ago, Chappers said:

Not much on that list really. Smith is a Fulham player so beyond our control. Not sure Tavernier or Osborne up to Championship level, would JET have been picked? Cunningham may have been a mistake, but we had Williams and Bryan, then added Baker, so would he have played?

Part of the problem has been the L1 players not being as effective, so harking back to L1 players seems bizarre.

Bryan can't appear to do the defensive duties required as a LB in the 532, so yes I'm sure Cunningham would have played at a lot this season had he been around.

35 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

Whoever they bring in now is going to be a gamble.

Do they go for experienced Championship players and hope that they can negotiate a deal that means any incoming players take a drop in salary in the event or relegation, or do they need to get hungry players from a lower leagues who want to prove themselves?

We have little choice. We have to gamble.

Doing nothing is a self-fulfilling prophesy.

Sad to see our great club so badly mismanaged at many levels.

Those who are to blame should hang their heads in shame.

2 minutes ago, Bazooka Joe said:

We have little choice. We have to gamble.

Doing nothing is a self-fulfilling prophesy.

Sad to see our great club so badly mismanaged at many levels.

Those who are to blame should hang their heads in shame.

Unfortunately it ain't that simple.

If you're looking to blame someone then look no further than those players who didn't want to join us. 

Its not as if those in charge  of recruitment were sitting on their hands all summer. KB tried to recruit the bloke who scored a hat trick today and to sign a PL striker. They didn't want to come.

At a push we could all blame Cotterills judgement of what constitutes a " better quality player". It was his insistence that he only wanted players in that would enhance the squad that led to the lack of summer signings.

I see nothing much happening during the January window unless Cotterill either changes his transfer stance or is sacked.

The thread is about SL's mistakes so discussion about JET seems off topic as I doubt he had anything to do with that. If we are talking about SL the following occur to me.

1. Not recent but most seemed to approve when he said a while ago that signing players was not a black art. My heart however sank as it implied he had decided he knew as much as experienced professionals. Never a good sign if an owner thinks like that. He is no more an expert than any other fan and should ensure experienced knowledgeable football people are running the club at all levels, including the Board. Instead we get an invisible Chairman and SL's son. We have Keith Burt only and he has melted conveniently into the background.

2. His statement after the Sheff Wed game that we were surprised at the wages Championship players were paid got little response but I found it staggering as it implied a lack of research. If so that is total incompetence.

3. The absence of a clear strategy follows. We have gone from 'we only want proven Championship players' to SL's latest  statement that we want players from L1 and L2. In either case we are now trying to shut the stable door after the horse has bolted.

4. Related to point 3., Steve was around when Millen wasted a transfer window trying to sign players we were never going to get but presided over exactly the same this summer. Pelling took the fall for the pathetic transfer window but what was to stop Steve stepping in and stopping the same error? No sign of learning from experience there.

5. He said recently that he had not considered SC's position because the players were still trying for him. I've seen nobody suggest the players aren't trying so presumably as long as they do SC is safe. A case of the operation was a success but the patient died if we go down then.

Archived