IGNORED

The most frustrating thing is..

GrahamC

We really don't need to be that good to stay up.

Bolton won today (well done, 2 wins in 24, half even what we've managed) but Charlton lost (of course, because frankly they are utter rubbish) as did MK Dons, so even after a second consecutive 4-0 away defeat and two draws at home we are only a point from safety.

Does that mean we'll stay up? No idea.

Does that mean a change at the top would help? Still not sure, if we are going to pay league one wages.

What is does mean however is the bottom four or five (including us) are all pretty poor but two of them will survive.

Let's hope the owner, chairman, manager and head of recruitment grasp this...

Sad thing, Graham, is that this is supposed to be an entertainment business! Having worked in that world for 30 years I can't being to imagine how anyone can justify taking money off your paying customers when you fail so spectacularly to offer anything which is going to gladden the heart. When the best we can hope for is that there are three worse teams it's pretty desperate...

…although I think you are spot on in suggesting that's all we've got left.

Was the football v Charlton not entertaining? The comeback v Leeds? QPR, outplaying Forest, Brentford even though we didn't get the right result? 

As a paying customer I feel very entertained for my money so far this season. 

7 minutes ago, 29AR said:

Was the football v Charlton not entertaining? The comeback v Leeds? QPR, outplaying Forest, Brentford even though we didn't get the right result? 

Jeez…can't think I've been more depressed in ages than after the final whistle against Charlton! QPR was almost as frustrating…glad I missed Brentford…I'll give you Leeds for last minute excitement but even then we were playing catch-up against a far more clinical side.

Each to his own I guess, but as a ST holder I feel well and truly stitched up. Shambles of a season. Men against boys at times.

We should be buying up the best of League one again. 

Two reasons - if they come off and keep us up its the cheap option as SL seems to approve of. 

Secondly, if it doesnt come off then we could have ready made players to go up next year! :grr:

failing that i have no idea! Listening to SCpost match hes saying hes backing the current crop and talking of new players isnt right. Oh god, so we dont even have a list to try and get in then!!! :facepalm:

6 minutes ago, Red Exile said:

Jeez…can't think I've been more depressed in ages than after the final whistle against Charlton! QPR was almost as frustrating…glad I missed Brentford…I'll give you Leeds for last minute excitement but even then we were playing catch-up against a far more clinical side.

Each to his own I guess, but as a ST holder I feel well and truly stitched up. Shambles of a season. Men against boys at times.

Ah sorry I think we're talking cross purposes; depressed too of course. However I think we are being entertained: it's not like under Pulis (or SOD) where the football was turd, it is 'entertaining' if not yielding the results in my opinion. 

1 minute ago, 29AR said:

Ah sorry I think we're talking cross purposes; depressed too of course. However I think we are being entertained: it's not like under Pulis where the football was turd, it is 'entertaining' if not yielding the results in my opinion. 

Agreed that they're trying to put on a show…I take that point. But sadly it's all a bit like you've been promised The Who (ageing myself there) and in their place The Wurzels turn up…you'd be pleased to see them and willing them on but it wouldn't quite come up to the mark...

…and at the end of the day the results matter. Have I seen us play better matches that at Bradford and at home to Walsall last season?…sure I have…but I can't deny that winning 6-0 and 8-2 felt very satisfying!

It's a very disappointing season…and I feel sorry for the more promising players as much as us…they deserved to be surrounded by experience, as it is I feel they are drowning

24 minutes ago, 29AR said:

**** me! Are you serious? 

Thats hilarious, stick this kid in a locked room with a tin of spam and he'll be satisfied. 

Unbelievable 

14 minutes ago, nickolas said:

We should be buying up the best of League one again. 

Two reasons - if they come off and keep us up its the cheap option as SL seems to approve of. 

Secondly, if it doesnt come off then we could have ready made players to go up next year! :grr:

failing that i have no idea! Listening to SCpost match hes saying hes backing the current crop and talking of new players isnt right. Oh god, so we dont even have a list to try and get in then!!! :facepalm:

Well, as I pointed out elsewhere just like Luke Freeman, Eoin Doyle and Nathan Byrne are tearing this division up, aren't they?

League one players =league one team.

34 minutes ago, 29AR said:

you need help if you find all this exciting... i have found this season quite embarrassing to be honest!

51 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

We really don't need to be that good to stay up.

Bolton won today (well done, 2 wins in 24, half even what we've managed) but Charlton lost (of course, because frankly they are utter rubbish) as did MK Dons, so even after a second consecutive 4-0 away defeat and two draws at home we are only a point from safety.

Does that mean we'll stay up? No idea.

Does that mean a change at the top would help? Still not sure, if we are going to pay league one wages.

What is does mean however is the bottom four or five (including us) are all pretty poor but two of them will survive.

Let's hope the owner, chairman, manager and head of recruitment grasp this...

Not having a go at you chief but this thing about 'league one wages' is getting annoying. 

We offered Gray a higher salary than Burnley but he chose them and Mr Lansdown stated publicly that we could have coped with Gayle's premier league wages.

Or have I got that all wrong? Apologies if so...

8 minutes ago, Jasper Testimitanu said:

**** me! Are you serious? 

Thats hilarious, stick this kid in a locked room with a tin of spam and he'll be satisfied. 

Unbelievable 

Fair play, that is funny and I might use the 'room with spam' myself :clapping:

38 minutes ago, 29AR said:

I completely understand the point you are making @29AR and you are right. We have played some entertaining football at times this season - and those are good examples.

Unfortunately it seems others on this thread aren't able to differentiate between appreciating an attractive, entertaining style of play and being satisfied with the results.

8 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Not having a go at you chief but this thing about 'league one wages' is getting annoying. 

We offered Gray a higher salary than Burnley but he chose them and Mr Lansdown stated publicly that we could have coped with Gayle's premier league wages.

You're right BS4. It's become assumed fact on this forum that we won't pay the necessary wages, without there actually ever being any evidence to back this up. No potential player, agent or anyone at the club has ever claimed this.

As you say, Lansdown categorically stated in his interview last week that wages were not the issue, rather the understandable perception that we would not be competing at the top end of the division.

I don't think the football played has been that poor to be fair, it's just that we can't win games.

I think it's a bit like someone learning to drive. You can be a pretty good driver but unless you know how to pass the test on the day you will never succeed.

18 minutes ago, 'keepuplino' said:

you need help if you find all this exciting... i have found this season quite embarrassing to be honest!

I'll bitch as loud as anyone when the footy is crap and there's a complete lack of effort - I did under SOD and I did under Millen. But I think it's a fabrication to say we've not played some really attractive football this season even if not yielding results. Ask Brighton fans for instance.  They spoke highly of us. Even the level headed Cardiff fans too as another example. In fact plenty have told us it. 

Entertainment and results do not necessarily go hand in hand. I can say now we could play long ball, turgid rubbish and get to the Prem but it gonna excite me and I certainly won't pay prem prices to watch it - quote me on it if it ever happens. 

As like under Benny,  results were crap, I don't subscribe that the entertainment was though. 

1 hour ago, 29AR said:

I felt robbed against Charlton not entertained. It felt worse as we all knew it was coming. It was like watching a car crash before it happened .

11 minutes ago, stephenkibby. said:

Is it not possible to play some entertaining football with a change in formation?

Because if he keeps playing 3.5.2. we are certainly going down.

Were on our way to conceding 100  goals this season, if people find that entertaining well there must be a lot of neutrals inside ashton gate this season.

Doesn't matter what the formation is if you haven't got the players to take such chances as you do create.

38 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

I completely understand the point you are making @29AR and you are right. We have played some entertaining football at times this season - and those are good examples.

Unfortunately it seems others on this thread aren't able to differentiate between appreciating an attractive, entertaining style of play and being satisfied with the results.

I quite appreciate that playing tedious football and grinding out results is unattractive…but in a business that is about as results orientated as you can get I simply can't see the point of being "attractive" and a loser.

That said if you can appreciate effort regardless of results then this season mustn't have been too bad.

For me it's been shambolic…one of the poorest…made all the worse because last year was so good.

2 minutes ago, CotswoldRed said:

Worst thing for me is we are a weaker team than last year. That's the lamentable bit. 

We absolutely are.

This is the crux of the issue, and the central problem; we had a deeper and simply better squad last year - to think we could kick on at a higher level without significant investment looks like either a decision based on over confidence or a misguided gamble on us  being able to compete on the cheap.

We need to do our summer business now; be that intensed for last summer or the forthcoming one.

People warning of repeating our mistakes from the last time we were in this division; we start in a significantly better situation, what with fewer players, a new stadium on the horizon, and a younger squad with more resale potential - if we don't have the space and funds (which our summer bids suggest we do) now to strengthen, then we never will.  

And any premium we pay for doing our work this time of year; well, that's our punishment for a pathetic summer that has endangered our progress across the proceeding 18 months.

If we don't fight for our Championshop status, both on the pitch and in the market, then we don't deserve it.

1 minute ago, Red Exile said:

I quite appreciate that playing tedious football and grinding out results is unattractive…but in a business that is about as results orientated as you can get I simply can't see the point of being "attractive" and a loser.

That said if you can appreciate effort regardless of results then this season mustn't have been too bad.

For me it's been shambolic…one of the poorest…made all the worse because last year was so good.

I agree with everything you say and I'm certainly not advocating playing an attractive style that gets us relegated! I'd far rather we played whatever style was necessary to keep us in the division. I was simply acknowledging 29AR's point that, in spite of everything, some of our football has been good to watch. Doesn't mean we're satisfied with the results though.

59 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

One of those BS4.... Caller on RB tonight said that Gray was on 4/5k per week more than we offered. Plenty will disagree. Am pretty sure of one thing and that is how much players love money so the fact that he is NOT here says an awful lot to me.

What I'd give for a run of shite 1-0 wins right now.Playing attractive football is sound if you're getting the results to go with it but to play reasonably well and lose or draw is soul destroying.It's a results business and give me a 1-0 boring win against an attractive 4-3 defeat any day of the week.Winning no matter how it's achieved breeds confidence which you can see from our players faces is slowly being sucked out of them.

Archived