IGNORED

The most frustrating thing is..

GrahamC

4 minutes ago, Spoons said:

what has that got to do with anything?

In reference to the post above about players from league one not bridging the gap. Add Freddie Sears - who was previously useless at this level - to Deli Allo too. 

25 minutes ago, stephenkibby. said:

This is true but the amount of goals we are conceding is the most worring thing.

What would you give  for a couple of preston 1/0 results.?

Two sides of the same coin. Taking the early chances takes the pressure off the defence. 

20 minutes ago, Nomad said:

No idea. But how do the "we offered more wages" know that either?

They wouldn't; that's my point, no one knows what players earn any more than any of my colleagues know what I earn. It's highly confidential information and I always view any post claiming to know salary information with the suspicion it deserves.

The only thing we do know is that Lansdown said wages were not the issue with regard to Gray coming here.

2 hours ago, GrahamC said:

We really don't need to be that good to stay up.

Bolton won today (well done, 2 wins in 24, half even what we've managed) but Charlton lost (of course, because frankly they are utter rubbish) as did MK Dons, so even after a second consecutive 4-0 away defeat and two draws at home we are only a point from safety.

Does that mean we'll stay up? No idea.

Does that mean a change at the top would help? Still not sure, if we are going to pay league one wages.

What is does mean however is the bottom four or five (including us) are all pretty poor but two of them will survive.

Let's hope the owner, chairman, manager and head of recruitment grasp this...

Quite right mate,the salient point 'league one wages'..no manager with the required CV will give us a second glance armed with this little gem.we can only hope the penny will drop........

Going back to Graham's original post at the start of this thread, it is very frustrating that we don't have to be very good to stay up...but it's also my main consolation. Looking at the other teams at the bottom, Bolton look to be in trouble  despite winning today and Charlton were absolutely dreadful on Saturday (and seemed to have very little fight - they didn't scrap their way to a draw; we gave it to them). MK looked poor when we played them and teams like Huddersfield and Rotherham are capable of going on a horrendous run. We have not shown ourselves to be any better than these teams, but thank goodness we're not the only ones who are really struggling. That's the straw I'm clutching at, anyway.

3 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Not having a go at you chief but this thing about 'league one wages' is getting annoying. 

We offered Gray a higher salary than Burnley but he chose them and Mr Lansdown stated publicly that we could have coped with Gayle's premier league wages.

Or have I got that all wrong? Apologies if so...

Did we really offer Gray more than Burnley offered?  Do we know that for a fact?  I heard Burnley offered significantly more than us, which was lots more than he was on at Brentford.  Do e know that fact either?  No, we don't.

Even if we did offer more, in Andre Gray's defence and ours too, who would you expect him to go to? Burnley...a club on a parachute and more likely to get him to the dream of the Premiership.

Given the same situation and choosing us or say PNE, then that is a different situation.

Dont forget the role Agents play too. 

Back to @GrahamC - that is the crux, we need to win this mini-league of 6/7 clubs.  I feel disappointed that this is the current reality, but we desperately need to stay in this division.

Who knows, it might come down to game 46 and finishing 21st.  We might need to take that.

None of us want that, and much as I'd like that to be with Cotts in charge, there are no guarantees either way.  

Time to get 100% behind the players on match day, irrespective of your thoughts on the management.  Booing players is each fans prerogative but I don't think many players respond to it.  The game is often down to confidence.

Come on...show your support for the 90 minutes, it could make a difference.

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

Did we really offer Gray more than Burnley offered?  Do we know that for a fact?  I heard Burnley offered significantly more than us, which was lots more than he was on at Brentford.  Do e know that fact either?  No, we don't.

Even if we did offer more, in Andre Gray's defence and ours too, who would you expect him to go to? Burnley...a club on a parachute and more likely to get him to the dream of the Premiership.

Given the same situation and choosing us or say PNE, then that is a different situation.

Back to @GrahamC - that is the crux, we need to win this mini-league of 6/7 clubs.  I feel disappointed that this is the current reality, but we desperately need to stay in this division.

Who knows, it might come down to game 46 and finishing 21st.  We might need to take that.

None of us want that, and much as I'd like that to be with Cotts in charge, there are no guarantees either way.  

Time to get 100% behind the players on match day, irrespective of your thoughts on the management.  Booing players is each fans prerogative but I don't think many players respond to it.  The game is often down to confidence.

My main worry would be if it did come down to game 46, would we have the faith and trust in the manager to make the correct decisions and changes mid game?

15 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Well @spudski posted that he knows an agent who told him that we offered more in wages than Burnley did for Gray but he chose Burnley ahead of us for footballing reasons. It's been mentioned on here loads, thought it was common knowledge...and a pretty good source...

4 hours ago, nickolas said:

We should be buying up the best of League one again. 

Two reasons - if they come off and keep us up its the cheap option as SL seems to approve of. 

Secondly, if it doesnt come off then we could have ready made players to go up next year! :grr:

failing that i have no idea! Listening to SCpost match hes saying hes backing the current crop and talking of new players isnt right. Oh god, so we dont even have a list to try and get in then!!! :facepalm:

Got to start to think why would the best of L1 come here when we are more than likely going down and if they stay where they are they will probably be playing In the championship . 

19 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Well @spudski posted that he knows an agent who told him that we offered more in wages than Burnley did for Gray but he chose Burnley ahead of us for footballing reasons. It's been mentioned on here loads, thought it was common knowledge...and a pretty good source...

No need to take my word for it mate...SL has come out recently and said matching wages hasn't been a problem.

We are just not an attractive option for many players.

Of course there are players that will want to come... those who wish to play in the Championship, and certain loans who want first team football, and those who want a last big pay cheque.

Why would any other player want to come here though....what have we ever done, that we haven't screwed up shortly after?

12 minutes ago, spudski said:

No need to take my word for it mate...SL has come out recently and said matching wages hasn't been a problem.

We are just not an attractive option for many players.

Of course there are players that will want to come... those who wish to play in the Championship, and certain loans who want first team football, and those who want a last big pay cheque.

Why would any other player want to come here though....what have we ever done, that we haven't screwed up shortly after?

You mean, "What have we ever done that isn't like 95% of all other football teams?"

Your constant negativity about City is tedious to say the least.

When you find the perfect football team (ManU? Chelski?) , please let me know.

26 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

I think that is sort of my point, even if we did offer more wages, Andre Gray went to the club he thought would match his ambitions better than coming to us. If true, it probably shows that Gray isn't a money grabbing leach.  The comment that he came to Ashton Gate out of courtesy because he wanted to go to Burnley probably backs up that he is a decent guy. Fair play if so.

Other people have posted different wages amount.  I've no idea the truth, but it kinda makes no difference in respect of Gray.

I suppose the relevant point (for me) is:

Were City given a decent indication that a Gray would come here if we could meet Brentford's valuation and his wage demands?  If so, we can't help that Burnley could offer more to him ambition (if not money) wise.

If we were strung along then that's modern day football, maybe Brentford or Gray / his agent used us...and we were naive.

If we really had no chance of getting him, then more fool the club, and whoever in the club chased him and made it public.

I'd like to think my first scenario is the more accurate account....but I've no idea.

@spudski which one of the three us closest...or none :P

17 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I think that is sort of my point, even if we did offer more wages, Andre Gray went to the club he thought would match his ambitions better than coming to us. If true, it probably shows that Gray isn't a money grabbing leach.  The comment that he came to Ashton Gate out of courtesy because he wanted to go to Burnley probably backs up that he is a decent guy. Fair play if so.

Other people have posted different wages amount.  I've no idea the truth, but it kinda makes no difference in respect of Gray.

I suppose the relevant point (for me) is:

Were City given a decent indication that a Gray would come here if we could meet Brentford's valuation and his wage demands?  If so, we can't help that Burnley could offer more to him ambition (if not money) wise.

If we were strung along then that's modern day football, maybe Brentford or Gray / his agent used us...and we were naive.

If we really had no chance of getting him, then more fool the club, and whoever in the club chased him and made it public.

I'd like to think my first scenario is the more accurate account....but I've no idea.

@spudski which one of the three us closest...or none :P

City wanted him, him and his agent listened to the offer...we offered good wages....he chose Burnley over us purely on footballing ambitions...it was as simple as that.

20 minutes ago, Chivs said:

You mean, "What have we ever done that isn't like 95% of all other football teams?"

Your constant negativity about City is tedious to say the least.

When you find the perfect football team (ManU? Chelski?) , please let me know.

Based on the money pumped into this Club since SL has been here....what other Club has spiralled like us....? Not many.

Just stating a fact....I'm not negative...just stating the bleedin obvious, which some seem blind too.

If we were Crewe or the Gas I could understand it...but we aren't....we've squandered massively.

I've not made one comment about todays game...it is what it is....things aren't going to get any better until things change.

All we can do is cheer on the boys each game and hope for the best.

7 hours ago, Red Exile said:

Jeez…can't think I've been more depressed in ages than after the final whistle against Charlton! QPR was almost as frustrating…glad I missed Brentford…I'll give you Leeds for last minute excitement but even then we were playing catch-up against a far more clinical side.

Each to his own I guess, but as a ST holder I feel well and truly stitched up. Shambles of a season. Men against boys at times.

Great comment

I think it is clear why we have struggled this season. We should never have changed the purple & lime lucky away kit. Far more significant than the lack of signings imho.

Or maybe SC lost his lucky pants?

Somewhere along the line luck has deserted us this season and I can't quite decide which of the above is to blame.

Archived