IGNORED

the difference is clear from the highlights

southvillekiddy

The difference between us and better teams is clear from the highlights at Burnley and other recent matches.

We create chances but squander them - It's a hard thing to say  but despite Kodjia having a very good tally of goals he could have had twice the number and if he was better and the team would have had other goal-scorers if he knew how to assist. As a result we would won more games. Gray doesn't need loads of chances to score a hatrick. He gets 3 goals with 3 chances.

Secondly and again it's hard but our defence especially Aden don't have quick enough feet to deal with someone of Gray's quality.

Saturday's stats show we had almost equal possession as Burnley and almost as many shots. They had 4 on target and scored the lot. We had 3 on target and ..........

As someone said yesterday you cannot go up a far superior league like the Championship and expect to compete if for one reason or another you are without half the players who got you there  - Elliot, Tavernier, JET, Matt Smith, Cunningham

8 minutes ago, Alex_BCFC said:

The real difference yesterday wasn't just chances but everything. Don't be fooled by the possession stats - they didn't bother 2nd half as the game was over.

At 0-0 they were pretty much in total control and we created nothing. We only had chances after it went 2-0.

I'm not just talking about yesterday's performance mate but expressing an opinion on why things were set to go wrong for us this season. Trying to complete at a much higher level with players that aren't up to it plus key players no longer with us. By the way the  BBC stats do show a percentage change in possession and shots analysis right up to the final whistle. 

22 minutes ago, Drew Peacock said:

For me a big issue is slow decision making when we go forward. The players may have the technical ability, but mental agility is lacking.

Agree with you. We looked quicker and more decisive compared to the rest of the teams last season. Everything has to speed up and be of higher and higher quality as you move up through the Leagues.

Amazing to me that the Club did not have the resolve, having surely anticipated this, to do what was necessary. If that means paying more than others would then do it. If it means trying extra hard to promote Bristol City nationally to attract players then do that. Who the F is supposed to be analysing all this at our Club?

I think the highlights actually point out how poor our defence is, and how "off the pace" we are relative to other teams in this league. 

Chance 1: Williams fails to get close enough to his man, gets beaten to the line and ball comes in. Good save Fielding.

Chance 2: No pressure on the ball in the middle of the pitch. Lethargic effort to chase down from Freeman.

Goal 1: Flint AND Baker lack of mobility and spatial awareness exposed. very poor from both.

Goal 2: AGAIN no pressure in the middle of the park. Half hearted attempt to track from Freeman. Flint fails to clear the ball despite having 2 clear attempts to do so. Poor.

Goal 3: Pack easily robbed of the ball. Bennett outpaced (looking tired - overused lately?) And failure to recognise danger from Ayling. Surely he could see that Bennett wasn't getting there and had to make an effort to close down the shot himself? Was Flint not letting him know there was cover in the middle? Also who was Ayling shouting at (the lino?)

Goal 4: Baker doesn't get close enough, Williams doesn't get close enough and is consequently turned and Flint is caught ball watching.

If these "highlights" show anything, it's that it looks as though our defence don't work on defending or cohesion in training and that we can't give teams so much respect - we have to get tight on them and stop them from playing.

16 minutes ago, OddBallJim said:

I think the highlights actually point out how poor our defence is, and how "off the pace" we are relative to other teams in this league. 

Chance 1: Williams fails to get close enough to his man, gets beaten to the line and ball comes in. Good save Fielding.

Chance 2: No pressure on the ball in the middle of the pitch. Lethargic effort to chase down from Freeman.

Goal 1: Flint AND Baker lack of mobility and spatial awareness exposed. very poor from both.

Goal 2: AGAIN no pressure in the middle of the park. Half hearted attempt to track from Freeman. Flint fails to clear the ball despite having 2 clear attempts to do so. Poor.

Goal 3: Pack easily robbed of the ball. Bennett outpaced (looking tired - overused lately?) And failure to recognise danger from Ayling. Surely he could see that Bennett wasn't getting there and had to make an effort to close down the shot himself? Was Flint not letting him know there was cover in the middle? Also who was Ayling shouting at (the lino?)

Goal 4: Baker doesn't get close enough, Williams doesn't get close enough and is consequently turned and Flint is caught ball watching.

If these "highlights" show anything, it's that it looks as though our defence don't work on defending or cohesion in training and that we can't give teams so much respect - we have to get tight on them and stop them from playing.

Correction on goal 3 what was Fielding doing?! That ball travelled so far, and was only 12yds out when struck towards goal. He gets a nosebleed beyond his 6yd line. Any decent commanding GK wouldve had that ball cleared or collected way before the guy got there. 

3 minutes ago, phantom said:

Fielding - the ball was his to come and claim, but for some unknown reason he failed to charge out and collect a simple ball

Didn't notice he was so out of position. You and nickolas are right he should be out for that ball. But again though, shows how sluggish as a team we are both mentally and physically. 

I'd still like to see Ayling go across to their player, Flint cover the goal line and Bennett tuck in behind Ayling in that scenario but for that to work, they've all got to communicate and more importantly be confident in their decision making. 

I think you're both right though that Fielding should sweep that up 9/10 times.

1 hour ago, Drew Peacock said:

For me a big issue is slow decision making when we go forward. The players may have the technical ability, but mental agility is lacking.

Spot on - we are so ponderous in possession compared with all of our opponents with the result that teams have gone 10 behind the ball before we reach the final third. 

48 minutes ago, bearded_red said:

Duly noted, just utterly staggered that someone previous managed to ignore his absolutely pitiful 'effort'.

Me too. First thing i noticed. 

About time we signed a gk with a physical presence. FF has saved two awfully taken pens, but is hopeless at taking high balls, flaps and punches at everything. Not to mention being beaten from distance all too regularly. 

Again he seems to be unchallenged in his position.

a new gk, cm and goalscorer is the minimum required asap. And all to start straight away. No sentiment anymore. 

1 hour ago, OddBallJim said:

These players would be fine if we changed the system.

Defence is exposed and overworked...they get physically and mentally tired.

Wing backs are over used and knackered.

In fact the whole team is physically knackered.

The system we play is known to be energy sapping and mentally harder....there is no room for error.

It's hard playing it with a squad of quality and quantity...but we lack both, especially quantity.

I'm convinced we would get better results using a different system with the players we have.

17 minutes ago, nickolas said:

Me too. First thing i noticed. 

About time we signed a gk with a physical presence. FF has saved two awfully taken pens, but is hopeless at taking high balls, flaps and punches at everything. Not to mention being beaten from distance all too regularly. 

Again he seems to be unchallenged in his position.

Completely agree.

1 hour ago, bearded_red said:

Duly noted, just utterly staggered that someone previous managed to ignore his absolutely pitiful 'effort'.

Was there any need to be so demeaning to my original post? I've acknowledged that Fielding made an error, credit to phantom and nickolas for pointing that out. Funnily enough though, the ball generally has to come past 10 players before it reaches the GK. Yes, he was at fault but how does Pack escape criticism for losing the ball so cheaply? Why is Bennett so exposed? It looks as if he's physically shattered. 

49 minutes ago, spudski said:

The system we play is known to be energy sapping and mentally harder....there is no room for error.

It's hard playing it with a squad of quality and quantity...but we lack both, especially quantity.

I'm convinced we would get better results using a different system with the players we have.

I am in full agreement with you spudski.

48 minutes ago, Chairman Mao said:

by the Boro match Hamer looked like he had settled in and was playing well, then he was dropped, why?

more blind loyalty perhaps?

I see no other explanation. FF was back fit so went straight back in. Peter Cech would be hard pushed to displace FF.

1 hour ago, spudski said:

Everything you just said is spot on in my opinion. I would really be interested to see what cotts would of done with this team tactically if he was just appointed as manager. I would bet the 1st thing he would do is change the system

4 minutes ago, smokey live said:

Everything you just said is spot on in my opinion. I would really be interested to see what cotts would of done with this team tactically if he was just appointed as manager. I would bet the 1st thing he would do is change the system

It's an interesting philosophy fella.

SC obviously believes in this system.

He's brought in players specifically to play it.

He also has, the rest of the Clubs teams playing this way...they were at least doing it, the last time I watched.

So all those coach's and players have to buy into the same philosophy.

We can all see it's not getting results...regardless of 'dominating' games occasionally.

It's way too easy to score against us.

Any new player coming in, will also have to get used to this system, which will take time. Bennett mentioned when he first joined how physically and mentally tiring he found the transition.

Other managers often talk about our system...and how they countered it.

I personally don't like the fact that one man, the manager, can control the whole Clubs footballing structure.

I much prefer the continental system, where you get many heads together, to come up with a plan of action and get the manager to implement it.

That way...one man doesn't control the club.

17 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

A very informed and sensible discussion about our performances. If we, just supporters with a bit of savvy of tactics, can see what is going wrong, then why not the professionals who manage our Club?

Or do they not see what is wrong? Or don't know how to change things for the better?

The biggest problem is do the players believe in it?

Do they go out knowing they are going to struggle playing this system?

Worth thinking about ;-) :shutup:

4 hours ago, Drew Peacock said:

I agree, this drove me mad at Charlton... Our midfield 3 really struggle to pick a pass, Smith is a good player but not when it comes to playing a killer pass - he should have played Kodjia through down the right but instead played the ball inside, it was incredibly frustrating to watch. Freeman's set pieces are very good but his final ball is always lacking. Pack gives the ball away too often for me.

6 minutes ago, DaveF said:

I agree, this drove me mad at Charlton... Smith is a good player but not when it comes to playing a killer pass - he should have played Kodjia through down the right but instead played the ball inside, 

That was terrible, terrible football, nothing to do with formations or any such, it is basic football.  Kodjia is running clear in his own half screaming for the ball to be released so that he stays onside and will have an open run on goal - but it doesn't come!  No quick thinking, no awareness. 

And I agree about Freeman, he has stepped up and is doing much of his tricky stuff well now, but often makes the wrong or no decision at the end of it.

Archived