IGNORED

Thanks Cotts but it's time to go...

PFree

Before you jump on me, I'm pro Cotts and have always been supportive of him, I do however now feel that both Cotts and several members of the team are sadly well our of their depth.

It's decision time, and personally, I see no point in offering Cotts the chance to sign more players when he's tactically flawed and unable to cut it at this level.

Thanks for the memories Cotts, we won't forget you but for the good of the club, it's time for us to move on...there are Managers available who are proven and you can consolidate matters and help us grow further.

2 minutes ago, WolfOfWestStreet said:

Players need to take the blame as well here, they are letting cotterill down yet never get the criticism they deserve. 

I'm not convinced a new manager will get these players playing much better, and if they did you need to ask questions about the players commitment

See, I don't blame the players. We knew at the end of last season the ones who would need replacing at this level....and the fact we never, is disgraceful.

Ok other players have under performed...but that's because I feel players like Freeman etc, needed help right from the very start. We needed Championship experience in the way we needed Wade Elliott at the start of last season.

The fans and these young players have been massively let down by board and manager in the summer. 

It's a really tricky situation. I just think at this time though any new manager would need new players. They are not going to turn around this team. The main difference they could bring would maybe be a different approach to subs etc which may help pick up the odd point here and there but they wouldn't get this team where it needs to be quickly. The team needs new players, I hope Cotts gets the opportunity to get them in quick though because whilst there are plenty of points to play for we are not getting enough

Same starting XI. Same bench. Same subs made. Same time subs made. Same formation. Same style of play. 

So why are we expecting different results? If Cotterhill doesn't go we know we can count on everything staying the same. I was pro Cotterhill as well but the club as a whole is losing money now. Losing revenue next season because we will be a league down. He doesn't use the young guys and help resale value. He's lessened the value of everyone in the starting XI by putting them in spots where they can't succeed. It's not an easy job being manager and he's done well for the most part but all the good was gone by November and that's when he should've went. Now we are such a poor proposition that we couldn't attract a better manager or better players. We are doomed to L1 and I can't tell myself we aren't doomed to it any longer. 

4 minutes ago, Kenn Loyal said:

Thanks for last season Steve, just now a distant memory your simply out of your depth and i could have told you and your team that after the Brentford home game. Lansdown your empire is going tits up again time to act.

I think our main problem and it has been all season is how naive the club has been going into this season.
From Cotterill believing this group of players are good enough to consolidate us in the Championship to him and Lansdown chasing players who were never going to sign for us.
I genuinely feel SL has focussed too much on the 'Bristol Sport' rather than trying to build a team for City to be able to stabilise a position in this league, a 27,000 seater in L1 doesn't bare thinking about.
And then we go into tactics, from the start of the season we went out to attack teams - massive no no in this league we got punished a few times by better sides.
Now the momentum has gone from last season, the team has been found out the goals are drying up and we're back to 2013 all over again.

I like SC, think he did a fantastic job in what he did in the 2 seasons before this season, I love his enthusiasm for the club and his passion but sadly I now feel he may be out of his depth

Just now, Andy082005 said:

See, I don't blame the players. We knew at the end of last season the ones who would need replacing at this level....and the fact we never, is disgraceful.

Ok other players have under performed...but that's because I feel players like Freeman etc, needed help right from the very start. We needed Championship experience in the way we needed Wade Elliott at the start of last season.

The fans and these young players have been massively let down by board and manager in the summer. 

,Agreed, as said on this site over and over again we have failed as a club to attract the right players to fill much needs positions. But the one thing that's going to get us related is a manager that only has a plan A and at this level it's just not enough.

I would like to see more subs thrown in with less predictability too but I really don't think it would have a major impact. It could help I guess with maybe the odd point here and there but overall I think we would still be wrong end of table. It's very much an ifs and buts rather than a definite answer. Maybe he will use Cup to finally give something a go but if it backfired badly against a reasonable Premiership side I hope it's not used as an excuse. 

3 minutes ago, BA14 RED said:

I think our main problem and it has been all season is how naive the club has been going into this season.
From Cotterill believing this group of players are good enough to consolidate us in the Championship to him and Lansdown chasing players who were never going to sign for us.
I genuinely feel SL has focussed too much on the 'Bristol Sport' rather than trying to build a team for City to be able to stabilise a position in this league, a 27,000 seater in L1 doesn't bare thinking about.
And then we go into tactics, from the start of the season we went out to attack teams - massive no no in this league we got punished a few times by better sides.
Now the momentum has gone from last season, the team has been found out the goals are drying up and we're back to 2013 all over again.

I like SC, think he did a fantastic job in what he did in the 2 seasons before this season, I love his enthusiasm for the club and his passion but sadly I now feel he may be out of his depth

He's building for the rugby premiership.

40 minutes ago, PFree said:

Before you jump on me, I'm pro Cotts and have always been supportive of him, I do however now feel that both Cotts and several members of the team are sadly well our of their depth.

It's decision time, and personally, I see no point in offering Cotts the chance to sign more players when he's tactically flawed and unable to cut it at this level.

Thanks for the memories Cotts, we won't forget you but for the good of the club, it's time for us to move on...there are Managers available who are proven and you can consolidate matters and help us grow further.

I was going to start my own thread, but I don't see the point having read this. Like you i have supported Cotts through this season, but unfortunately things that seem like cute little eccentricities when you are winning seem to make no sense when results go against you. 

The late substitutions were a joke among the supporters during last season and the loyalty shown to some players was seen as a strength. Now both seem to be contributing to our downfall. The summer transfer window has been done to death, but it's no use him crying about the lack of signings when he has been so profligate with the few signings he has been able to make.

The three he has has used have been hit and miss, Baker is excellent when he plays, Bennett has done well but both he and Kodjia should be "spelled" more often, Kodjia in particular has run himself out of form. A new country, a new league and a new language have all been too much, because we have relied on him singularly for goals when he should have been bedding in.

If I was the board I would have no confidence that he can do any better in January, why would I add any more money in wages to the pot he is wasting on Robinson (to play in the U21's) Moore to make cameo appearances and most baffling of all, on Simon Cox to keep a place on the bench warm? 

The refusal to give Burns and Reid more pitch time is also annoying, whether they are good enough, is not possible to debate if they are never given a chance to show one way or the other, Reid has created more than Freeman in his short appearances, but then disappears into his shadow again, Burns who is showing some striking ability at international level (U21 admittedly) only ever figures as a wing back, what kind of damage this must do to the confidence of the pair is frightening to contemplate. 

For those who like me have been hoping that Cotts can turn things around, I have sympathy because I would like to show that kind of loyalty too, but this is no knee jerk reaction, this is a realisation that has been building over half the season, he has to go.

27 minutes ago, WolfOfWestStreet said:

Players need to take the blame as well here, they are letting cotterill down yet never get the criticism they deserve. 

I'm not convinced a new manager will get these players playing much better, and if they did you need to ask questions about the players commitment

Spot on, we're just a team with too many players not yet Championship standard, getting rid of Cotts isn't going to fix that. And yet still we should have won today. 

If you need any more evidence just look at a player like Bryan, useless again today, as he has been most of this season, drifting around and not affecting the game.

As you say, players letting Cotts down in a big way, Bryan is capable of way more, or you have players like Wilbs just not up to the speed at this level any longer so we're a one man show up front.

Give Cotts some Championship players and then decide if he's up to it or not.

8 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

I was going to start my own thread, but I don't see the point having read this. Like you i have supported Cotts through this season, but unfortunately things that seem like cute little eccentricities when you are winning seem to make no sense when results go against you. 

The late substitutions were a joke among the supporters during last season and the loyalty shown to some players was seen as a strength. Now both seem to be contributing to our downfall. The summer transfer window has been done to death, but it's no use him crying about the lack of signings when he has been so profligate with the few signings he has been able to make.

The three he has has used have been hit and miss, Baker is excellent when he plays, Bennett has done well but both he and Kodjia should be "spelled" more often, Kodjia in particular has run himself out of form. A new country, a new league and a new language have all been too much, because we have relied on him singularly for goals when he should have been bedding in.

If I was the board I would have no confidence that he can do any better in January, why would I add any more money in wages to the pot he is wasting on Robinson (to play in the U21's) Moore to make cameo appearances and most baffling of all, on Simon Cox to keep a place on the bench warm? 

The refusal to give Burns and Reid more pitch time is also annoying, whether they are good enough, is not possible to debate if they are never given a chance to show one way or the other, Reid has created more than Freeman in his short appearances, but then disappears into his shadow again, Burns who is showing some striking ability at international level (U21 immediately) only ever figures as a wing back, what kind of damage this must do to the confidence of the pair is frightening to contemplate. 

For those who like me have been hoping that Cotts can turn things around, I have sympathy because I would like to show that kind of loyalty too, but this is no knee jerk reaction, this is a realisation that has been building over half the season, he has to go.

sadly I have to agree, really want Cotts to succeed but I dont think it is only him, the vein of incompetency runs right from Board Level down

He said before the season out players were good enough. Either he lied to us or he believed it. Either way he needs to go. It's not that he's been poor. It's that he's been poor but yet expects things to change without changing. 

I don't believe SL cares too much either. He isn't building Bristol City new stands. He building Bristol Sport new stands. He will get 12k in L1. He will I imagine get something like that in Aviva prem. He will bring in more for events and things at the stadium. He can invest a further 10m in losses into our club yet I don't see him doing it. I don't care about failed bids either. Until he actually splashes this money, he doesn't get the benefit of the doubt either. The club from him down is woeful at the moment and the club will not move forward until attitudes are changes. 

2 minutes ago, gloucester robin said:

I am also leaning towards the Cotterill out lobby I have supported cotts even though he wouldn't have been my choice but his stubbornness when it comes to substitutions is going to cost us our place in the championship!

The subs are no better than the starting 11. The players are not good enough at this level. A change of manager is only good if they are given funds to change personnel, but surely Cotts will be given funds, if not the board can take a lot of the blame.

8 minutes ago, City1970 said:

The subs are no better than the starting 11. The players are not good enough at this level. A change of manager is only good if they are given funds to change personnel, but surely Cotts will be given funds, if not the board can take a lot of the blame.

That's oversimplified. A fresh Burns and Reid are far better than the starting 11 after 80 mins on a heavy pitch. 

I said on another thread that we have to remember this team was designed to get us out of league one. It needed adding to to make it into a Championship side and build from there. Until that happens it's difficult to judge Cotts ability at this level with us. The overall squad is just not there. With alot of the loans heading back I really hope it paves the way for some new players, it must because it is now an incredibly small squad 

14 minutes ago, City1970 said:

Exactly how I see it too mate

1 minute ago, Flagon said:

I said on another thread that we have to remember this team was designed to get us out of league one. It needed adding to to make it into a Championship side and build from there. Until that happens it's difficult to judge Cotts ability at this level with us. The overall squad is just not there. With alot of the loans heading back I really hope it paves the way for some new players, it must because it is now an incredibly small squad 

Fair enough but how do you explain the misuse of what he does have, how does one explain Cox and Robinson for example? The treatment of those 2 players alone seem irrational.

5 minutes ago, bemmyredjeff said:

You obviously don't watch premiership rugby.

You're talking 20/25 v bath and Gloucester for a start and near that v Exeter.

City wouldn't get a sniff of that in L1.

Not a chance. How many sellouts when they were there last time? 

And that's 3 games. 

22 minutes ago, Olé said:

Spot on, we're just a team with too many players not yet Championship standard, getting rid of Cotts isn't going to fix that. And yet still we should have won today. 

If you need any more evidence just look at a player like Bryan, useless again today, as he has been most of this season, drifting around and not affecting the game.

As you say, players letting Cotts down in a big way, Bryan is capable of way more, or you have players like Wilbs just not up to the speed at this level any longer so we're a one man show up front.

Give Cotts some Championship players and then decide if he's up to it or not.

We didn't have a shot on target so how can you say should we have won. They could have scored 4 or 5.

Archived