IGNORED

Thanks Cotts but it's time to go...

PFree

37 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

Same starting XI. Same bench. Same subs made. Same time subs made. Same formation. Same style of play. 

So why are we expecting different results? If Cotterhill doesn't go we know we can count on everything staying the same. I was pro Cotterhill as well but the club as a whole is losing money now. Losing revenue next season because we will be a league down. He doesn't use the young guys and help resale value. He's lessened the value of everyone in the starting XI by putting them in spots where they can't succeed. It's not an easy job being manager and he's done well for the most part but all the good was gone by November and that's when he should've went. Now we are such a poor proposition that we couldn't attract a better manager or better players. We are doomed to L1 and I can't tell myself we aren't doomed to it any longer. 

Bang on the money, through ability this team is not working, yet no changes. Why?

I have one major issue with SC, his comments after the Derby game that we can't compete at this level. Why the **** is a manager of a professional football team saying that? What message does that give to our players? Should we contact the league now and say don't worry about us playing Derby at home this season, because we'll only lose. Say the same to boro in a weeks time, it's a long drive down to Bristol, don't bother guys, here's three points a plus 4 goal difference , save on the fuel. Yet no one from the club has come out and questioned his comments, WHY not?

We knew what league we were going to be in this season in April. What a headstart we had, but we never acted on it. For me the blame for that lies with the board and management. Why did we not have players tapped up before last season finished, come join Bristol City, we romped the league, look at the plans for the ground etc, etc. WHY ?

Final point, I read with interest the comments from Wes Burns's father about him being told he's likely to go to the Euro's if playing regularly. So we have an international player , who is potentially going to a major football tournament and must be highly regarded by an international manager. Yet can't get into a team that can't score or get more that 2 minutes at the end of the game. How good is this lad, we don't know. WHY don't we know

Bristol City football club will be in the bottom three in May. Sorry for the rant , time for a pint!

Sadly, I think that the fact Cotts wears his heart on his sleeve is part of his problem - because he is so stubborn and blinkered to what others can see, and will only do things his (one) way, we are one dimensional and predictable as a side and better managers in this division therefore find us easy to pick off.

I really can't see him changing hence don't expect matters to change for the better, I therefore feel we should now bite the bullet and change it before it's too late...

Ultimately it's always the managers head on the block - whether it's his fault or not. Although Cotterill does make some "odd" decisions it's not his fault that better quality players won't come to AG.

Unless City can bring in some decent quality loan players in January then I see the trap door opening....

20 minutes ago, City1970 said:

The subs are no better than the starting 11. The players are not good enough at this level. A change of manager is only good if they are given funds to change personnel, but surely Cotts will be given funds, if not the board can take a lot of the blame.

Really? Cotterill hardly plays his subs so what do you base that on? And as for giving Cotterill funds for decent players, why should they sign for a manager with his record in the transfer market this season? The Fredericks, Hamer and Cox signings are testament to that. What an omnishambles. Get a new manager in, now.

7 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Ultimately it's always the managers head on the block - whether it's his fault or not. Although Cotterill does make some "odd" decisions it's not his fault that better quality players won't come to AG.

Unless City can bring in some decent quality loan players in January then I see the trap door opening....

So explain to me what the appeal is with the following clubs in years gone by when they'd not been anywhere near the Prem:

Wigan, Preston, Swansea, Hull, Bournemouth? 

That excuse is wheeled out all the time and just isn't true. It's used to deflect blame and fill the hole where conviction and charisma normally get signings over the line. 

Maybe a manager who can adapt to the opposition he's facing is what is needed. If we give the bloke money he's just going to buy/loan players that fit into the usual 3-5-2 system that simply isn't going to work in this league.

If SC doesn't go one way or the other we are doomed, if we give him money personally I think we will still be doomed, just in more debt., we are easily 5/6 players light of what is needed and most importantly a complete overhaul of tactics is needed, sadly he's not capable of getting those players (& I won't blame the board because NOBODY on this forum has a clue as to what is/has/was going on) or changing the formation. I can like many others form a view based on the reality of what we have had to painfully witness, we need a miracle worker as OUR problems are huge.

No more excuses, the board must wield the axe and pronto, it won't happen though and we will go down without a whimper, unless the impossible can happen.

NEW MANAGER

5/6 QUALITY CHAMPIONSHIP STANDARD PLAYERS

UTILISATION OF MORE THAN ONE FORMATION

16 minutes ago, CityCiderEd said:

We didn't have a shot on target so how can you say should we have won. They could have scored 4 or 5.

Was that game winnable or not? Of course it effing was. Kodjia scored just before theirs so if that wasn't on target I don't know what is. They were no better than us. We had plenty of opportunities to win the game, I'm not saying we were good, we weren't, we've got a lot of players who are not up to it, but we were in the game throughout and yes, if we are serious about staying up we should win games like today. Cotterill knows some of his players are not up to it, don't know why people think he doesn't, he just doesn't have any better options, let's see how he is after buying Championship players.

I very rarely post on here, but I am so frustrated! 

Loyalty to the manager counts for nothing in football or life in general usually, the tactical decisions made by SC in this division has been shocking all season.He has not got a clue what to do with the current situation.  We are a rudderless ship sinking fast.His substitution options have been shocking. His loan signings have been shocking. His arrogance has been shocking. His use of Wilbs has been shocking.  What about Wes Burns? He can not attract good Championship players to the club, infact I get the impression that he fails to motivate any of the current players. A key credential for any manager of people in life.  

He has to go NOW!!!

34 minutes ago, City1970 said:

The subs are no better than the starting 11. The players are not good enough at this level. A change of manager is only good if they are given funds to change personnel, but surely Cotts will be given funds, if not the board can take a lot of the blame.

OK so it's all down to the players.

How,then, do we explain the fact that PNE, who spent less than us in the summer, are now 10 points ahead of us?

Like us they essentially have their L1 team from last season. Unlike us though they have a manager who has been able to adapt their style of play to compete in this league.

I feel that SC has contributed to the problem by refusing to change tactics and making poor use of what is admittedly a small squad. 

We are unlikely to get the quality of players he seems to want to make 'his' system work. In which case the only sensible option is to find another manager who can make better use of what we have.

Should have done it in November though and I feel that it is now very likely that we will be relegated. We are going backwards and results could well get even worse.

20 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

Fair enough but how do you explain the misuse of what he does have, how does one explain Cox and Robinson for example? The treatment of those 2 players alone seem irrational.

Yes I agree. That is something I just cannot work out. I would like to see subs quicker into games and or players given a start to see if they can make that subtle difference game to game. I can only assume he just does not see they will make the difference needed so he is just sticking with what he feels is his strongest 11 until somebody definitely better comes in and they've been brought in purely as cover only in the event of an injury crisis to a very small squad. It's bloody frustrating. The players all appear to be playing for him and it feels very different to when we have struggled before, albeit outcome is still the same. A worrying lack of points. With alot of those loans going back it will be interesting to see what happens and it needs to happen very quickly as the squad as of tonight is even smaller now.

2 minutes ago, robin_unreliant said:

OK so it's all down to the players.

How,then, do we explain the fact that PNE, who spent less than us in the summer, are now 10 points ahead of us?

Like us they essentially have their L1 team from last season. Unlike us though they have a manager who has been able to adapt their style of play to compete in this league.

I feel that SC has contributed to the problem by refusing to change tactics and making poor use of what is admittedly a small squad. 

We are unlikely to get the quality of players he seems to want to make 'his' system work. In which case the only sensible option is to find another manager who can make better use of what we have.

Should have done it in November though and I feel that it is now very likely that we will be relegated. We are going backwards and results could well get even worse.

Should have done it in October as I felt there was tactical inadequacies then, as there is now!! 

1 minute ago, Olé said:

Was that game winnable or not? Of course it effing was. Kodjia scored just before theirs so if that wasn't on target I don't know what is. They were no better than us. We had plenty of opportunities to win the game, I'm not saying we were good, we weren't, we've got a lot of players who are not up to it, but we were in the game throughout and yes, if we are serious about staying up we should win games like today. Cotterill knows some of his players are not up to it, don't know why people think he doesn't, he just doesn't have any better options, let's see how he is after buying Championship players.

Every game is potentially "winnable" but offside goals don't count as shots on target so how many more did we have? Watch the highlights,they could and probably should have scored 4 or 5.

54 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

I was going to start my own thread, but I don't see the point having read this. Like you i have supported Cotts through this season, but unfortunately things that seem like cute little eccentricities when you are winning seem to make no sense when results go against you. 

The late substitutions were a joke among the supporters during last season and the loyalty shown to some players was seen as a strength. Now both seem to be contributing to our downfall. The summer transfer window has been done to death, but it's no use him crying about the lack of signings when he has been so profligate with the few signings he has been able to make.

The three he has has used have been hit and miss, Baker is excellent when he plays, Bennett has done well but both he and Kodjia should be "spelled" more often, Kodjia in particular has run himself out of form. A new country, a new league and a new language have all been too much, because we have relied on him singularly for goals when he should have been bedding in.

If I was the board I would have no confidence that he can do any better in January, why would I add any more money in wages to the pot he is wasting on Robinson (to play in the U21's) Moore to make cameo appearances and most baffling of all, on Simon Cox to keep a place on the bench warm? 

The refusal to give Burns and Reid more pitch time is also annoying, whether they are good enough, is not possible to debate if they are never given a chance to show one way or the other, Reid has created more than Freeman in his short appearances, but then disappears into his shadow again, Burns who is showing some striking ability at international level (U21 admittedly) only ever figures as a wing back, what kind of damage this must do to the confidence of the pair is frightening to contemplate. 

For those who like me have been hoping that Cotts can turn things around, I have sympathy because I would like to show that kind of loyalty too, but this is no knee jerk reaction, this is a realisation that has been building over half the season, he has to go.

Both yourself and the OP have said exactly my thoughts PSR, after last season we all wanted cotts to succeed, but his baffling substitutions and unwillingness to change the way we play dependant on the game means he has to go imo. We need a manager with a flexible modern way of thinking. I posted after Burnley what is the point of us signing more players with cotts in charge, A) he wont play them and B) it will just be to fit into this 3-5-2 system that simply DOESNT WORK in the championship.

Another point is that although people talk about needing singings, whilst i think we do definitely need to strengthen the quality of the squad; I dont honestly beleive our group of players is in the bottom 3 worse in the championship, certainly it should be acheiving lower mid-table, when Cotts says he is getting the best out of this group of players I disagree. If he was willing to try and make us harder to beat instead of going gung ho we may have picked up more points than so far. I dont see where our next win is coming from with Cotts in charge, a Preston side (with a worse squad than ours imo) who are on a good run of form, Middlesborough? Doubtful!

After the run of the last ten or so games unfortunately it is time to change the manager IMO, we are sleep walking straight back to league 1. I fear that if we were going to sack him we have almost waited to long, and SL doesnt have the foresight going from his interview a couple of weeks back. League 1 beckons.....

4 minutes ago, Cider red said:

Both yourself and the OP have said exactly my thoughts PSR, after last season we all wanted cotts to succeed, but his baffling substitutions and unwillingness to change the way we play dependant on the game means he has to go imo. We need a manager with a flexible modern way of thinking. I posted after Burnley what is the point of us signing more players with cotts in charge, A) he wont play them and B) it will just be to fit into this 3-5-2 system that simply DOESNT WORK in the championship.

Another point is that although people talk about needing singings, whilst i think we do definitely need to strengthen the quality of the squad; I dont honestly beleive our group of players is in the bottom 3 worse in the championship, certainly it should be acheiving lower mid-table, when Cotts says he is getting the best out of this group of players I disagree. If he was willing to try and make us harder to beat instead of going gung ho we may have picked up more points than so far. I dont see where our next win is coming from with Cotts in charge, a Preston side (with a worse squad than ours imo) who are on a good run of form, Middlesborough? Doubtful!

After the run of the last ten or so games unfortunately it is time to change the manager IMO, we are sleep walking straight back to league 1. I fear that if we were going to sack him we have almost waited to long, and SL doesnt have the foresight going from his interview a couple of weeks back. League 1 beckons.....

Did he give him the dreaded vote of confidence? I think he said a similar thing about SoD a couple of weeks before getting rid. 

32 minutes ago, Curr Avon said:

as for giving Cotterill funds for decent players, why should they sign for a manager with his record in the transfer market this season? The Fredericks, Hamer and Cox signings are testament to that. What an omnishambles. Get a new manager in, now.

Fredericks got home sick and all others are loans which are always going to be hit and miss, Hamer and Cox had good reputations but neither was fit. Someone show me a Cotterill championship signing and then tell me where he's gone wrong. I'm pretty sure the guy didn't plan to have to sign loan players as the spine of our team. Unsurprisingly other teams cast offs have not been earth shattering for us either, and were never meant to be the answer.

I now agree that SC has to be replaced.  The results this season have been absolutely terrible.  This is also the best time to change the manager, as the FA cup match is nowhere near as important as any of our remaining league games.

A new manager will bring fresh ideas and motivation to the players.  Under SC, it now looks inevitable we will be relegated.

3 minutes ago, Olé said:

Fredericks got home sick and all others are loans which are always going to be hit and miss, Hamer and Cox had good reputations but neither was fit. Someone show me a Cotterill championship signing and then tell me where he's gone wrong. I'm pretty sure the guy didn't plan to have to sign loan players as the spine of our team. Unsurprisingly other teams cast offs have not been earth shattering for us either, and were never meant to be the answer.

You're being very kind to Cotterill, Rob. If Hamer and Cox were unfit, why did he sign them on loan? As for Fredericks being homesick; London is only 120 miles from Bristol. I can't believe that was the only reason Fredericks left so quickly.

7 minutes ago, Curr Avon said:

You're being very kind to Cotterill, Rob. If Hamer and Cox were unfit, why did he sign them on loan? As for Fredericks being homesick; London is only 120 miles from Bristol. I can't believe that was the only reason Fredericks left so quickly.

Fredericks got pissy with me pitchside when I mentioned it to him v Fulham. Probably hit a nerve. 

1 hour ago, Olé said:

Spot on, we're just a team with too many players not yet Championship standard, getting rid of Cotts isn't going to fix that. And yet still we should have won today. 

If you need any more evidence just look at a player like Bryan, useless again today, as he has been most of this season, drifting around and not affecting the game.

As you say, players letting Cotts down in a big way, Bryan is capable of way more, or you have players like Wilbs just not up to the speed at this level any longer so we're a one man show up front.

Give Cotts some Championship players and then decide if he's up to it or not.

Obviously the players are the ones on the pitch so they're to blame but they are Cotts players - they're his chosen men. He's the manager, the buck stops with him and he should be big enought to take that responsibility, clearly he's not.  He's done us proud in the past, but he just can't cut it at this level.One wonders how bad things would have to get to before he took responsibility and left. He will need pushing, he will never jump. Come on Mr Lansdown, you're a business man, you didn't get where you are by living with level of failure.

I agree that getting rid of him will change nothing, but letting him spend money in the transfer market when he is so clearly out of his depth, would compound the problem.

Stubbornness and one dimensional - apparently Cotts wasn't interested in signing Adomah because he doesn't fit in with Cotts' preferred style of play...

Cotts keeps saying Its his job to keep lifting the players so why keep saying, we expected to be in this position, there was nothing positive to take from that performance, the players simply aren't good enough, we don't have the required quality, we can't compete with sides like that...

After suggesting the only way he would sign loan players was to only bring in players who improved our side, so why sign  a player who we knew wasn't fit and others we don't play...

Substitutions and preserving with players who are either unfit or not up to it out of loyalty, what's going on...?

I was a fan Cotts but sorry, at this level, your tactics and management ability is inept I'm afraid, the entertainment level is also horrendous, no shots on target today, again - I just hope SL can see the bigger picture..!

11 minutes ago, BristolPete said:

Obviously the players are the ones on the pitch so they're to blame but they are Cotts players - they're his chosen men. He's the manager, the buck stops with him and he should be big enought to take that responsibility, clearly he's not.  He's done us proud in the past, but he just can't cut it at this level.One wonders how bad things would have to get to before he took responsibility and left. He will need pushing, he will never jump. Come on Mr Lansdown, you're a business man, you didn't get where you are by living with level of failure.

I agree that getting rid of him will change nothing, but letting him spend money in the transfer market when he is so clearly out of his depth, would compound the problem.

More like drowning FAST 

The league table does not lie,were in the bottom 3,minus 22 goal difference,its not looking good,last season was my 3rd best season of watching City.but its history,chip rappers,and keep reading about it,we have a manager who still thinks that the players from last season are up to the championship standard and will stand by his players what ever result,i feel the players have it to easy and are still being mummy cuddled by cotts,another manager would wake them up give them the kick up the ass and with a few new faces and a captain that can show some passion and fight,instead of walking back to kick off  if we go a goal down,we will hopefully finish above the bottom 3,if things dont change it going to be a long season

I think we have no choice but to keep sc in charge unless we can get a quality manger in that will lure championship players straight away . Otherwise we get a new manger who barely any time to asses the signings we need and then may not be able to lure them here so another wasted window.  

I sat behind 2 Reading fans on the bus back to the park and ride they were talking to each other but I could hear them as they weren't quiet! They summed us up.

They said that we weren't a bad side but lacked bite and drive in midfield and their better players in that area were their best players today (I thought Norwood for them was outstanding). They said we looked decent on the break but didn't create many clear cut chances. 

The biggest thing they said was they could see our team tiring and the subs of their two wingers (Robson-Kanu and McCleary) with fresh legs gave them a big advantage late in the game.

Everyone could see Saturday that we were tiring and crying out for fresh legs then we let a goal in, today the same. Cotts blind stubbornness with formation, selection  and subs will see us relegated.

He has to go as he is clearly out of his depth and his behaviour when interviewed shows he knows it.

2 hours ago, WolfOfWestStreet said:

Players need to take the blame as well here, they are letting cotterill down yet never get the criticism they deserve. 

I'm not convinced a new manager will get these players playing much better, and if they did you need to ask questions about the players commitment

I find it hard to criticise players who worked as hard as they worked at Reading today. But not a Manager who never changes his losing formula.

Archived