IGNORED

Loans gone back

RedM

I am sure after the none use of some of our signings, it us going to be really hard to convince anyone to lend us anyone!

Imagine we had lent out say Reid to a Div 1 side to get some minutes under his belt, and he came back to us months later having got no time. I am sure we would not be keen to lend to them again.

Farce is the word for it. Joke is another. We have already got a dismally small squad, we announce that three loaners are going back, and the within hours we're told that there are 'no irons in the fire'. 

And I don't buy the 'keeping things close' argument. If he has got some irons in the fire then all it needs is an equivocal answer along the lines of 'you wouldn't expect me to.....'. No is either the truth, in which case see the above. Or it's a lie, which shows a contempt for the fans who are listening to the interview. 

Bottom line is that we have now been told

a) by SL that SC has given him no names he wants pursued

b) by SC that he has no irons in the fire.

4 hours ago, View from the Dolman said:

They used to be open meetings and were always rather interesting and Gary Johnson/Steve Lansdown/Derek McInnes always spoke reasonably openly. Shame we don't get that opportunity these days.

Oh for the days when Terry Cooper was manager. He was prepared to take awkward questions at supporters meetings and answer them without going into a sulk. His personality was also better at dealing with pressure and pressure can't be much worse than being bottom of division  4. Imagine if Cotts had been manager in those day, motivating the players by telling them every week that they weren't good enough to compete at that level. 

5 hours ago, pongo88 said:

From Cotts post match interview on Radio Bristol  

Qustion: "Have you got any irons in the fire?" (Ref the transfer window)

Answer: "No"

If true this is a shambles and he has to go. Preferably tonight   

That is absolutely shocking if he's being honest. This club really is in a hell of a mess. 

What motivation is there for the fans to keep pitching up and spunking our money week in week out on the same old rubbish?

7 hours ago, cynic said:

I would have thought that discussions re Bennett would have been sorted out weeks ago if he's to stay here ?

Is today or PNE his last game of the loan ?

The others mentioned will not be missed other than bench fillers.

Baker ? Well, he's here till the end of the season so may as well use him unless we get a permanent signing in (wishful thinking), he seems a bit of a delicate boy who walks off on a relatively regular basis - unless he's got some sort of permanent injury which flares up now and then, which I doubt. I wouldn't like to see him signed permanently, we need players that can be relied upon.

It seems to me that people are expecting a lot from this transfer window and I hope those expectations are realised - but I doubt it.

I think Baker has back problems, and back problems can be linked to Hamstring.  Just wondered why he stretched for that ball today with Bryan behind him.

7 hours ago, Fordy62 said:

Relegation would cost millions in revenue. A 26k seater stadium with 11k averages in league one, or 19k averages in the champ. 

Thats a lot of difference. He'd rather spend now is my bet. 

Agree.  SL said getting 20k gates would mean £7-8m extra revenue p/a.  I'm guessing that's on comparing to 13k gates of last season. Think we might be back to 11k if we go down, as there would be so much negativity.  So that's probably £10m lost next season.  Got to gamble it, with the hope of staying up and kicking on next.

13 hours ago, pongo88 said:

From Cotts post match interview on radio Bristol  

Qustion: "Have you got any irons in the fire? " (Ref the transfer window)

Answer: "No"

If true this is a shambles and he has to go. Preferably tonight   

Just because we're not after anyone from West Ham or S****horpe doesnt mean things arent happening elsewhere. 

Why would any manager want to show his hand this early regarding targets? ... specially Cotts ffs after the last window ...... So we've ruled out those two clubs, theres plenty of others, we dont want any old iron, any old iron, any any any old iron! :)

Maybe he just doesn't like players being referred to as "irons in the fire" :D

Plus he's hardly going to name names is he, whilst discussions are going on. 

Calm down people, the windows only been open like 24 hours, there's hardly been a rush of signings for any club! 

To be fair, Cotts has already said he wouldn't talk about transfers as it would be disrespectful to the current players. With 3 loans going back, I find it impossible to believe he hasn't got a few targets in mind. But if he keeps saying "no comment" or "I don't want to discuss it", then the questions would keep coming just in different forms. By saying "no", even if it's a lie at least the question has been dealt with.

We are in a difficult position re signings, how do you attract players to a club looking like being relegated? Similarly, we don't want to risk handing out generous contracts, with that risk. We also have a different formation to most teams, which may not appeal to some players, and Cotts lack of use of a squad would also be concerning. I'm not sure it's going to be easy attracting the right players, and our treatment of loanees may count against us on that front.

I remain neutral on Bennett, better than what we had, but hardly shone. But, looking at him and Joe, are we asking too much of our wing backs? effectively covering two positions, the entire length of the field, against opponents who can break quickly, and generally have worked out that there is space to exploit behind the WB's?

Waiting with baited breath, as will be the fans of Charlton and Rotherham. Bolton fans just hoping they have 11 players left!

15 hours ago, Fordy62 said:

Relegation would cost millions in revenue. A 26k seater stadium with 11k averages in league one, or 19k averages in the champ. 

Thats a lot of difference. He'd rather spend now is my bet. 

Much lower wage bill in L1 and if we're back up in the promotion places, our attendance could still be 20k+ 

15 hours ago, Frenchay Red said:

Hopefully, but sometimes it seems to me, for a very very rich man, he seems reluctant to spend.  Because he will have to spend, with or without the present manager.

I don't think this is the case. He's spending a fortune making Ashton Gate a better stadium than the majority of our contemporaries have. What Lansdown seems reluctant to do is break the FFP rules and create an unsustainable wage structure at the club. I can't blame him for that because the club needs to develop into a viable business unlike Bolton and Portsmouth.

13 hours ago, Maesknoll Red said:

Whatever medication or recreational substances you are taking M, I would like to have some too...............

Ha ha I wish, although I feel we could all need a little help to get through the next few weeks. 

I'm hoping Cotterill is considering a new career as a poker player and is just fine tuning his skills on the interviewer. Heart  is hoping we really cannot have stuffed up again, head is arguing that we have.

in a way,it might be a good thing he didnt use his loanees,at least we didnt come to rely on any of them except bennett.and negotiations taking place about him.

second half season loans will give cotts more time in the summer to replace if he so chooses to rely on anyone

1 hour ago, Dollymarie said:

Maybe he just doesn't like players being referred to as "irons in the fire" :D

Plus he's hardly going to name names is he, whilst discussions are going on. 

Calm down people, the windows only been open like 24 hours, there's hardly been a rush of signings for any club! 

No who would want to be referred to as an iron! ;)

Had a table in hostility next to the directors box and Mrs D walked in looking for Bobby Williams as the league table flashed up. I said to her as she was looking at me the table is on tv and she looked at me and said "We know where we are" I just nodded. The tone was its in hand and I believed her. Perhaps I should have accosted SL etc :shutup: but I guessed they were as pissed off as I was and I can walk away from it!!!!!!!

1 hour ago, WhistleHappy said:

Just because we're not after anyone from West Ham or S****horpe doesnt mean things arent happening elsewhere. 

Why would any manager want to show his hand this early regarding targets? ... specially Cotts ffs after the last window ...... So we've ruled out those two clubs, theres plenty of others, we dont want any old iron, any old iron, any any any old iron! :)

:facepalm: It took me a while

54 minutes ago, REDOXO said:

Had a table in hostility next to the directors box and Mrs D walked in looking for Bobby Williams as the league table flashed up. I said to her as she was looking at me the table is on tv and she looked at me and said "We know where we are" I just nodded. The tone was its in hand and I believed her. Perhaps I should have accosted SL etc :shutup: but I guessed they were as pissed off as I was and I can walk away from it!!!!!!!

Was it that unfriendly an atmosphere?

43 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

Was it that unfriendly an atmosphere?

No I always call it that RRH. Actually Reading were first class in all aspects and very good value  with lunch etc and a great seat with excellent company.

More people should try it. With lunch your own bar etc it is normally good value but I wear a tie and singing is frowned on!

:laugh:

3 minutes ago, REDOXO said:

No I always call it that RRH. Actually Reading were first class in all aspects and very good value  with lunch etc and a great seat with excellent company.

More people should try it. With lunch your own bar etc it is normally good value but I wear a tie and singing is frowned on!

And you obviously would have no idea how they would react to your celebrating a City win!

1 hour ago, REDOXO said:

I find this post interesting as I have recent experience of meeting and listening to SL and Marina Dolman. Neither seemed particularly concerned about our predicament ( or at least didn't show it). Maybe players are lined up as I cannot believe the loans would have gone back without replacements being lined up. I may of course, be clutching at straws, but remember SL said he was hoping to challenge for the prem this time next year. I hope he meant football and not rugby!

Shame to see how it has worked out for Robinson with you lot. He was by all accounts a decent lad in his time at PNE and showed real promise at times. It's half a season down the drain in terms of his development.

Although I have to admit, it did seem a bit of an odd signing at the time. His best position is on the left of a 433 or 4231 type formation, but you play 352 every single week so where was he ever going to fit in?

Seems like it was a bit of a panic loan on Cotterill's behalf. You were running out of time before the season starts, and he sees a player who was outstanding against Bristol at Ashton Gate last season become available and takes him without much thought. That's my interpretation of it anyway. Panicky recruitment.

12 minutes ago, pnefcok said:

Shame to see how it has worked out for Robinson with you lot. He was by all accounts a decent lad in his time at PNE and showed real promise at times. It's half a season down the drain in terms of his development.

Although I have to admit, it did seem a bit of an odd signing at the time. His best position is on the left of a 433 or 4231 type formation, but you play 352 every single week so where was he ever going to fit in?

Seems like it was a bit of a panic loan on Cotterill's behalf. You were running out of time before the season starts, and he sees a player who was outstanding against Bristol at Ashton Gate last season become available and takes him without much thought. That's my interpretation of it anyway. Panicky recruitment.

Very true in the most, although I don't think Cotts put that much thought into it as you suggest, just pure panic.

17 minutes ago, pnefcok said:

Think you got it spot on. Interesting as a fan of another team you can see it as many of us can. For one loan not to work out is one thing, but you get two or three wrong as we have just done then it's not good, infact it's pretty suicidial when the squad is so small anyway.

Hope you re looking after Greg, saw him a couple of weeks ago and he said he is really happy. 

9 hours ago, REDOXO said:

Lunch? Tie? Frowns? 

Life on the edge!! 

We didn't fill the bench against Reading did we? Even with El Abd's return and assuming there's no injuries we could be 3 short! Oh well, be able to save a few quid and have the squad/staff travel to the Hawthorns in a mini-bus.

7 minutes ago, Kibs said:

We didn't fill the bench against Reading did we? 

Errrr... yes we did. 7 subs: Moore, Reid, Burns, Little, Wagstaff, O'Leary, Agard.

7 minutes ago, Kibs said:

Even with El Abd's return and assuming there's no injuries we could be 3 short! 

3 short of what? We have 18 players including El Abd (unavailable on Saturday as cup tied following R1 appearance for Swindon): Frank Fielding, Mark Little, Derrick Williams, Aden Flint, Luke Ayling, Adam El Abd, Korey Smith, Kieran Agard, Scott Wagstaff, Bobby Reid, Luke Freeman, Nathan Baker, Aaron Wilbraham, Wes Burns, Marlon Pack, Jonathan Kodjia, Joe Bryan, Max O’Leary.

So unless Bennett is extended/signed permanently we'll be 1 light on the bench in El Abd's enforced absence.

Just now, View from the Dolman said:

Errrr... yes we did. 7 subs: Moore, Reid, Burns, Little, Wagstaff, O'Leary, Agard.

3 short of what? We have 18 players including El Abd (unavailable on Saturday as cup tied following R1 appearance for Swindon): Frank Fielding, Mark Little, Derrick Williams, Aden Flint, Luke Ayling, Adam El Abd, Korey Smith, Kieran Agard, Scott Wagstaff, Bobby Reid, Luke Freeman, Nathan Baker, Aaron Wilbraham, Wes Burns, Marlon Pack, Jonathan Kodjia, Joe Bryan, Max O’Leary.

So unless Bennett is extended/signed permanently we'll be 1 light on the bench in El Abd's enforced absence.

My bad - when I glanced at the squads yesterday I thought Reading had one more on the bench than us!

Not that it matters too much......It's not as if we use them much. 

5 minutes ago, View from the Dolman said:

Is it not only 5 on the bench for the cup?

Archived