IGNORED

My thoughts on today

Londoner

35 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

It's difficult to judge as we don't see him but SC sees him in training every day.

I wouldn't trust Cotts' vision. 

He doesn't see that plan A isn't working.

He doesn't see that sometimes it is necessary to make changes.

He doesn't see what a full Ashton Gate can see every week.

Perhaps he's not seeing things in training that others would.

I'd play Wes and Bobby both just to keep them happy for next season. Bobby played well while Luke was out and then Luke just walked straight back in. Hard to fight for your spot when you don't have a chance. Same with Wes. Done nothing wrong in his cameos but can't get more than 2 minutes. It's a long season in a tough league. We should be using EVERYONE!! Wes could be good enough for a Wales team going to the Euros but can't get a half hour for Bristol City? It's pretty obvious he isn't playing because Cotterhill is stubborn. Any other manager we would've seen a few starts for him and a few more 20-30 minute appearances. I'm 100% sure of that as well. Also Liam Moore. If he goes back out on loan I guarantee he will go to a team chasing promotion and play more there than here. You have to be a Cotterhill favorite to play. 

My concern is I'm not sure what more that team has to give. I'm not sure what a change of formation or tactics would achieve. Aside from his reluctance to use substitutes, I think Cotts is actually getting as much out of them as they are capable of at this level. They just simply aren't good enough. I couldn't pick out any individual who had a particularly poor game, yet we still failed to score and lost the game. That says to me that they are at the limit of their ability.

The question with Cotts for me is less about the failings of the team as it stands, and more about whether he has the ability to attract the better quality players we so desperately need. I'm not certain he can.

Probably the biggest month in the recent history of the club coming up.

One other thing that annoyed me today - the idiots at the front who thought it was funny to not give the ball back during the first half. Juvenile beyond belief. In a game we needed to win, what was the point of time wasting? I've paid to watch the ball on the pitch, not in the stands. 

As for the trouble at the end (the same group), the less said the better. An embarrassment.

1 hour ago, Londoner said:

Gutted. We outfought reading and for were the better team, especially in the 2nd half....our defence was very solid including Frankie from 15 mins onwards and Reading didn't look like scoring.

its clear that the players are playing for the manager, they worked tirelessly and if it wasn't for a poor pitch and tired legs we could of broken them down on a few occasions. No way did we deserve to lose.

as for the not testing the keeper, someone who must take the blame is Freeman....he doesn't get into goal scoring positions...today Kodjia did a brilliant cut back and Freeman should of been there to knock it in....in that role we need someone who is going to contribute goals and get into positions.

i actually thought both Pack and Smith were solid but Smith not to his usual self....pack made an exceptional block I the first half to stop them scoring but still makes wrong decisions....doesn't deserve the stock he gets.

Eing backs decent especially Bennett...and we played some decent football at times on what was becoming a poor pitch.

Reasons to be cheerful though....and Cotts IMO deserves time.

Reading two best players were Norwood and Blackman...no suprises there.

Whilst I'd like to maintain your positivity, the very fact all the above keep happening in practically every game - we play well, keep the ball, create a few chances, decent football etc - we are still losing or drawing.

Wins are the only thing that will keep us up, not even draws.

Winning games seems beyond the team at the moment, even if we score.

I simply cannot see us winning enough games, at this current performance level (which isn't bad, per se, but still nowhere near good enough) and with this current crop of players, formation, lack of subs to change things.

Obviously there's still hope and time, and it wouldn't take much to turn things around to give us at least a fighting chance, but where MK seem to nick results, I can't see us doing that. Ditto Huddersfield. Which leaves us four, unless one of the above capitulates.

I'm not giving up hope, but it is harder and harder to see where we are going to get enough points as things stand.

Gutted. We outfought reading and for were the better team, especially in the 2nd half....our defence was very solid including Frankie from 15 mins onwards and Reading didn't look like scoring.

its clear that the players are playing for the manager, they worked tirelessly and if it wasn't for a poor pitch and tired legs we could of broken them down on a few occasions. No way did we deserve to lose.

as for the not testing the keeper, someone who must take the blame is Freeman....he doesn't get into goal scoring positions...today Kodjia did a brilliant cut back and Freeman should of been there to knock it in....in that role we need someone who is going to contribute goals and get into positions.

i actually thought both Pack and Smith were solid but Smith not to his usual self....pack made an exceptional block I the first half to stop them scoring but still makes wrong decisions....doesn't deserve the stock he gets.

Eing backs decent especially Bennett...and we played some decent football at times on what was becoming a poor pitch.

I couldn't agree less, we weren't very good defensively, they had 3 chances in the first half that a team like Boro, Burnely etc would have put away.

Pack was.. okay, defending, but his pass completiotin percentage must have been about 10%, there was so much play turnt over because of him.

Bennett had some success, but I dont' think that was because of him paying well just a weak area for them, all of our play came from that side.

I'm generally not a negative person but how much time can we give Cotts? First sub (excluding Bakers injury) at 83 minutes? Then 93? Not good enough.

Bobby came on and it was like adding a midget in midfield. We are simply not strong enough, not clever enough and don't have any confidence left to find a killer pass!!

Ferdinand was there for the taking. He was slow and lethargic and yet Burns gets yet another cameo when it's all to late. Ridiculous. 

We needed someone to get past Codge but he ran a loan furrow with Wilbo largely by passed. We created not one clear cut opportunity and their keeper saved nothing. 

We did not play badly, but if you don't shoot we will always be vulnerable which we showed yet again by giving up another poor late goal. Three bloody defenders running with him and he still gets a shot off inside the post. Pathetic!

Not sure what to think anymore regarding SC as despite not having the players he wanted, which I can empathize with, he seems clueless with what he has. 

I still think we will get out of this but if we don't get the personnel we need SC WILL have to go as he is simply flogging the same dead horses with the exact same result and that will continue. MADNESS comments have resonance!

Lucky me got chatting with the referees assessor and have the full match dvd (I won't be watching the last two mins) a good chat with him and Mrs D and a bottle of champers for winning the HT quiz but otherwise I'm gutted but at least I can drown my bloody sorrows!!!

Gutted!

I agree with a great deal of what you have said but we never looked like scoring. We never made good use of corners or free kicks and too often a good move was spoilt by a mis controlled pass or pass given too late.Apart from the spirit shown I see nothing to be cheerful about when it so hard to know when the next goal will come from.

Genuinely baffled by your view of the game. We had no chances whatsoever and Reading had at least four very good chances, only one of which they scored. Reading were terrible but much more impressive in the final third than us. Deeply worrying. Cotts has become a parody of himself - playing Wilbs the whole match through, not making a sub (barring the enforced change) until 82nd minute and persisting with the failing 3-5-2 - how Reading didn't take advantage of the ocean of space on our left side today more often was a mystery. 

Woeful display today and my view on Cotts has now changed after this result. He's got to go and we need a new manager to spend that money wisely. 

1 minute ago, tinman-is-god said:

Genuinely baffled by your view of the game. We had no chances whatsoever and Reading had at least four very good chances, only one of which they scored. Reading were terrible but much more impressive in the final third than us. Deeply worrying. Cotts has become a parody of himself - playing Wilbs the whole match through, not making a sub (barring the enforced change) until 82nd minute and persisting with the failing 3-5-2 - how Reading didn't take advantage of the ocean of space on our left side today more often was a mystery. 

Woeful display today and my view on Cotts has now changed after this result. He's got to go and we need a new manager to spend that money wisely. 

Yes don't know where you were sitting but there was an ocean of space on our defensive right side too. Reading seemed to be lopsided going forward luckily for us. 

38 minutes ago, Shtanley said:

I don't think it is though, Freeman has been awful, IMO Reid would be better than awful 100%. 

What do we have to lose? Freeman does next to nothing going forward, and literally nothing defensively. I can't see any negatives of starting Reid.

5 minutes ago, REDOXO said:

Yes don't know where you were sitting but there was an ocean of space on our defensive right side too. Reading seemed to be lopsided going forward luckily for us. 

There was too but guess they looked more dangerous down the right, probably because Blackman is a player they look to get on the ball as often as possible. God it was bad.

2 hours ago, Londoner said:

Not the game I saw. We played the ball around well at times without really threatening their goal. They had 2 guilt edge chances in the first 15 mins and missed a sitter just before half time. They then scored in the second half, regardless of the goals timing they won the second half 1-0. We had 0 shots on target that I saw so would have been pretty hard to win the game knowing these facts. We made 1 sub that was forced early, Reid did ok when brought on and well the other sub was waiting to get on when they scored. Pretty much zero impact on the course of the game with regards to the subs. Overall it was what I expected to see against a side in as bad a form as us, a loss. We are not good enough, be it because of the manager or the players who knows? The only thing I do know is that this team and this manager together in its current state are odds on for relegation. IMO.

49 minutes ago, REDOXO said:

Bobby came on and it was like adding a midget in midfield. We are simply not strong enough, not clever enough and don't have any confidence left to find a killer pass!!

Ferdinand was there for the taking. He was slow and lethargic and yet Burns gets yet another cameo when it's all to late. Ridiculous. 

We needed someone to get past Codge but he ran a loan furrow with Wilbo largely by passed. We created not one clear cut opportunity and their keeper saved nothing. 

We did not play badly, but if you don't shoot we will always be vulnerable which we showed yet again by giving up another poor late goal. Three bloody defenders running with him and he still gets a shot off inside the post. Pathetic!

Not sure what to think anymore regarding SC as despite not having the players he wanted, which I can empathize with, he seems clueless with what he has. 

I still think we will get out of this but if we don't get the personnel we need SC WILL have to go as he is simply flogging the same dead horses with the exact same result and that will continue. MADNESS comments have resonance!

Lucky me got chatting with the referees assessor and have the full match dvd (I won't be watching the last two mins) a good chat with him and Mrs D and a bottle of champers for winning the HT quiz but otherwise I'm gutted but at least I can drown my bloody sorrows!!!

Gutted!

So hopefully you can confirm to us whether Kodjia was offside or not. I felt he wasnt. Makes no difference but would be nice to know we were stitched up by the lino that gave bugger all 1st half and everything 2nd half!!

5 minutes ago, nickolas said:

So hopefully you can confirm to us whether Kodjia was offside or not. I felt he wasnt. Makes no difference but would be nice to know we were stitched up by the lino that gave bugger all 1st half and everything 2nd half!!

Yes I could look at the dvd but I can't bring myself to ruin my night. For tuppence worth I was on the half way line near the directors box but on the side slightly toward the goal we were defending and had to be dragged down by my mate as I was up screaming so quick. I was told by the guys more in line that they thought yes he was just but ask me again tomorrow and I'll look at the DVD 

The assessor will be looking tomorrow when he gets the download but he thought he was, offside at first glance and he had a better view. 

1 hour ago, ChippenhamRed said:

My concern is I'm not sure what more that team has to give. I'm not sure what a change of formation or tactics would achieve. Aside from his reluctance to use substitutes, I think Cotts is actually getting as much out of them as they are capable of at this level. They just simply aren't good enough. I couldn't pick out any individual who had a particularly poor game, yet we still failed to score and lost the game. That says to me that they are at the limit of their ability.

The question with Cotts for me is less about the failings of the team as it stands, and more about whether he has the ability to attract the better quality players we so desperately need. I'm not certain he can.

Probably the biggest month in the recent history of the club coming up.

It's codger, of course he was offside! 

2 hours ago, CityCiderEd said:

Just seen the highlights,there were no chances for us and they could have scored 4 or 5.How you can say we were the better team is baffling,surely if we were better than them their keeper would have had a save to make.

Were these the Reading highlights then? Because we did create chances, I can think of at least three times where the ball went across the Reading goaline just waiting for a tap in.

2 hours ago, CityCiderEd said:

Just seen the highlights,there were no chances for us and they could have scored 4 or 5.How you can say we were the better team is baffling,surely if we were better than them their keeper would have had a save to make.

Clearly you were there...

second half there was only one team that I thought was going to win and that was us, we just didn't have the final ball/shot. A draw would have been fair.

reading had more shots but I don't remember fielding being troubled either except the goal.

May as well put my 2pennies in.

It was clear that reading were deliberately setting blackman up on the rightwing to cut in on his left foot, and it eventually paid off. Ive seen it a few times this season, including mk dons targetting mark little when he was knackered and nicked an equaliser. 

Cotts said they were aware of it. 1 point would have been a decent outcome but we were caught on the break by a team feeding a player the same they had done for the previous 90 minutes and we couldnt stop it. Its really poor.

One thing that worried me was midway through the second half Kodgia broke away with only Smith with him and in loads of space, and Kodge being Kodge tried to do it all himself and lost it. Korey was livid. Toward the end the same thing happened when Smith broke forward and a sideways pass to Kodge would have seen him clear on goal, and Smith ignored the pass completely. I hope, really hope there are no divisions in this team because we need everyone pulling together.

Archived