IGNORED

My thoughts on today

Londoner

52 minutes ago, Portland Bill said:

Were these the Reading highlights then? Because we did create chances, I can think of at least three times where the ball went across the Reading goaline just waiting for a tap in.

If you were there and saw those chances then I can't argue with you but I watched the Sky highlights and the only chance they showed of ours was LF hitting the side netting in the first minute.On the other hand they had at least four or five good chances to score.

3 minutes ago, CityCiderEd said:

If you were there and saw those chances then I can't argue with you but I watched the Sky highlights and the only chance they showed of ours was LF hitting the side netting in the first minute.On the other hand they had at least four or five good chances to score.

We've not been in the Prem. Don't expect Sky to focus on our chances. 

4 minutes ago, CityCiderEd said:

They had the clearer chances there's no doubt, but we did create numerous situations where either the final ball wasn't quite good enough or where players didn't gamble for a simple tap in. We had a 10 minute period in the second half when we dominated the game. All in all I don't think we deserved to lose today.

3 hours ago, Bs4Red said:

Couldn't disagree more I'm afraid, personally thought we were poor today. No attacking threat at all. No football played, we just constantly lump it into channels for poor old JK to chase.

Poor old JK? He might have had a couple of goals if he'd ever heard of the offside rule.

Just now, Robin1988 said:

Poor old JK? He might have had a couple of goals if he'd ever heard of the offside rule.

The guy covers twice as much ground as Wilbs. No wonder he can't get back onside he's absolutely knackered but I agree it's the most frustrating thing I've seen

Just now, Bs4Red said:

The guy covers twice as much ground as Wilbs. No wonder he can't get back onside he's absolutely knackered but I agree it's the most frustrating thing I've seen

Of course he does, he's an energetic 25-year-old pacey striker. Wilbraham is a 36-year-old targetman.

Moving twice as much as Wilbraham is about as much of an accolade as being twice as fast as a snail.

Why does he have to be offside in the first place? When we've got the ball in our third, just stay on the bloody shoulder! I like JK a lot and he's probably the most technically gifted player in our side, but his greed at times and inability to stay onside today were both immensely irritating. If he got rid of those he'd be a hell of a player. He's still good mind.

1 minute ago, Robin1988 said:

Of course he does, he's an energetic 25-year-old pacey striker. Wilbraham is a 36-year-old targetman.

Moving twice as much as Wilbraham is about as much of an accolade as being twice as fast as a snail.

Why does he have to be offside in the first place? When we've got the ball in our third, just stay on the bloody shoulder! I like JK a lot and he's probably the most technically gifted player in our side, but his greed at times and inability to stay onside today were both immensely irritating. If he got rid of those he'd be a hell of a player. He's still good mind.

Agreed about the offsides but our target man wins nothing so put someone else on.

personally thought at times he had to be greedy because our other striker was nowhere near him. He still needs time. He is adapting and understand the game 

3 minutes ago, Robin1988 said:

Be nice if our midfielders could pick a swift or smart enough pass to find him, eh?

Find it chuffing hilarious that people are turning on Kodjia when he's responsible for nearly half our goals this year, and most of the time is generating his own opportunities because his team mates are not on the same wave length.

Let's scapegoat the single bright light from this year, and one who highlights that we seriously needed/need to bring in more players actually capable of performing at this level.

4 minutes ago, samo II said:

Be nice if our midfielders could pick a swift or smart enough pass to find him, eh?

Find it chuffing hilarious that people are turning on Kodjia when he's responsible for nearly half our goals this year, and most of the time is generating his own opportunities because his team mates are not on the same wave length.

I'm certainly not turning on him. There's elements of his game which, if he addressed, and could easily be addressed, would help us as a team.

Today, for instance. Smith was crying out for a ball inside when Kodjia ran into no man's land. Add that to the 6-7 times he was caught offside. And overplaying in the box when he's beaten his man. It's more frustrating because he gets himself into such good positions but then his final ball is wild. He's the one who can make something happen, but he lets himself down often because he'd rather have a shot from a stupid angle or try to beat his man again. It's all stuff he could get rid of from his game. Certainly on today it had nothing to do with being on the same wavelength as anyone, it was simple stuff.

Tl;dr version - when you've got players who can take a game by the scruff of the neck, you need them to do it.

It's clear from the effort the players put in today that they are giving everything for SC.

But hIs poor use of subs (Wilbrahim was offering nowt today & was out on his feet) & continued use of 3-5-2 really does make  me wonder if we need a change.

Kodjia is a maverick & simply doesn't link up with Wilbrahim. We desperately need a mobile forward & creative midfielder but where is that coming from.

DO NOT keep mentioning Wes Burns. Just look at his goals for record (at a much lower level) & you will see why he can't cut it at this level.

1 minute ago, Robin1988 said:

I'm certainly not turning on him. There's elements of his game which, if he addressed, and could easily be addressed, would help us as a team.

Today, for instance. Smith was crying out for a ball inside when Kodjia ran into no man's land. Add that to the 6-7 times he was caught offside. And overplaying in the box when he's beaten his man. It's more frustrating because he gets himself into such good positions but then his final ball is wild. He's the one who can make something happen, but he lets himself down often because he'd rather have a shot from a stupid angle or try to beat his man again. It's all stuff he could get rid of from his game. Certainly on today it had nothing to do with being on the same wavelength as anyone, it was simple stuff.

Fair play, I understand that.

I only highlight the section I do because I think this underlines a massive problem this year; we've been too reliant on Kodjia to carry the bulk of our attacking threat.

Last year, we had goal threat all though the team, but that simply isn't the case now; Wilbraham has done well to contribute too, but we are over reliant on the front two.  

We need more threat.

13 minutes ago, Robin1988 said:

Tl;dr version - when you've got players who can take a game by the scruff of the neck, you need them to do it.

Kodjia twice flashed a ball across the goal for a tap in today but there was nobody there to knock it in. If he doesn't see players busting a gut to get on the end of balls like that then he might as well keep on shooting. It's not like the other 10 players are picking him out left right and centre every week!!

Our best player by a mile, sometimes he is a little greedy and makes his run about 5 seconds before our mid fielders brains see the pass. Not his fault they can't see the pass when it's supposed to be played!!

37 minutes ago, Portland Bill said:

They had the clearer chances there's no doubt, but we did create numerous situations where either the final ball wasn't quite good enough or where players didn't gamble for a simple tap in. We had a 10 minute period in the second half when we dominated the game. All in all I don't think we deserved to lose today.

Exactly. The same point I also made to @CityCiderEd in the other thread I think. A totally winnable game.

By the way, the comments on Kodjia, we have a real problem there. He doesn't pass, we know this now, but somehow despite six months together none of his teammates seem to know what he is going to do. It's the one thing I do think Cotterill should be sorting out. All the balls across the front of goal which you mentioned elsewhere were his, after he'd beaten defenders on the outside. Yet not one player attacked the ball. It's not ideal that Kodjia is raw, it's even worse that no one seems to be on his wavelength. I know it's not easy, but even I know most of the time he will cut inside, reverse back outside to get in on goal, then slide a low ball into the six yard box. Meanwhile his teammates stopped 20 seconds earlier and are hanging around outside the box waiting for a deep cross. With this level of disconnect Kodjia is more 200k than 2m.

12 minutes ago, collier said:

Kodjia twice flashed a ball across the goal for a tap in today but there was nobody there to knock it in. If he doesn't see players busting a gut to get on the end of balls like that then he might as well keep on shooting. It's not like the other 10 players are picking him out left right and centre every week!!

Once was unlucky but the one Wilbraham missed was because Kodjia had overplayed it so much; beats his man, beats him again, then a third time. Beat him once, send it across, Wilbraham taps in, 1-0. Easy peasy.

He was picked out a number of times but was offside for most - well except the one when he had Smith in acres of space when he was on the left and didn't bother to play the ball. Whether he's better than the other players or not, which he probably is, doesn't make him excempt from passing it when someone's in a better position.

Said this before. Kodjia only gets caught offside as our midfielders are so slow to make a decision to pass to him. Hes got a footballing brain and movement way above our current standard of players. Our midfielders came from league one where you get away with being slower  not in this league  

A decent playmaker would have him clean through on goal ( onside ) atleast 2 or 3 times a game. 

1 minute ago, nickolas said:

Said this before. Kodjia only gets caught offside as our midfielders are so slow to make a decision to pass to him. Hes got a footballing brain and movement way above our current standard of players. Our midfielders came from league one where you get away with being slower  not in this league  

A decent playmaker would have him clean through on goal ( onside ) atleast 2 or 3 times a game. 

A point well made. In fairness though, he lingers offside a hell of a lot. He often doesn't come back onside in the first place. 

3 minutes ago, CotswoldRed said:

A point well made. In fairness though, he lingers offside a hell of a lot. He often doesn't come back onside in the first place. 

Maybe yes. But i also think this is a) hes knackered from playing upfront with a pensioner and b) he sulks from missing out on endless opportunities for our classless midfield to play throughballs him in. 

4 minutes ago, nickolas said:

Maybe yes. But i also think this is a) hes knackered from playing upfront with a pensioner and b) he sulks from missing out on endless opportunities for our classless midfield to play throughballs him in. 

Against QPR recently, I made a point of watching him from the Ateyo in the second half; Kodjia is constantly (and deliberately) trying to catch the oppositon defence by drifting on and offside.

Equally; his movement in doing this was responsible for opening up space for Wilbraham, who simply isn't mobile enough to do much of his own.

I'm happy to accept he was perhaps poor today, but his willingness to run and run smart for the team isn't something anyone else we have does, so if that results in offsides, at least that means he's heading towards the opposition goal.

Would be genuinely interested in seeing how he might perform with a player who had similar pace alongside him; get the feeling it might seriously improve us.

1 hour ago, Corsham Alf said:

DO NOT keep mentioning Wes Burns. Just look at his goals for record (at a much lower level) & you will see why he can't cut it at this level.

A bit unfair IMO. Wes is still young and improving. Whether he can cut it at this level remains to be seen, but unless he's given the opportunity we will never know. Developing youngsters need a chance to prove themselves. 

After all it's not as though the players selected week in week out are banging 'em in regularly.

1 hour ago, Bs4Red said:

Carrying Wilbs on his back for ninety minutes week in , week out. He makes the most of chasing balls over the top and when he gets it is always on his Todd. Less chasing lost causes and ball to feet will hopefully see him stay inside. It is though rather school boy the way he strays offside. By far not the finished article but our rough French diamond!

2 hours ago, The Horse With No Name said:

One thing that worried me was midway through the second half Kodgia broke away with only Smith with him and in loads of space, and Kodge being Kodge tried to do it all himself and lost it. Korey was livid. Toward the end the same thing happened when Smith broke forward and a sideways pass to Kodge would have seen him clear on goal, and Smith ignored the pass completely. I hope, really hope there are no divisions in this team because we need everyone pulling together.

From our position behind the goal it was difficult to see if the pass was actually on to put him in.  It looked to me as if Kodjia would have had to hit a 10/10 pass to get it to him.  But difficult to tell.

2 hours ago, samo II said:

Let's scapegoat the single bright light from this year, and one who highlights that we seriously needed/need to bring in more players actually capable of performing at this level.

Completely agree.  The people I sat near, mooned at virtually the whole team at some point today.  They are entitled to, but it smacks of having never played the game, or appreciate that not everything comes off....the opposition have a say in what happens!

@REDOXO agree with much of what you said about the match.  We certainly weren't the better team, they flashed balls across our box more often than us.  We may not have had shots on target (as per Opta rules), but they got some crucial blocks in.  Would like to see Bobby's shot that got blocked....looked like handball (and straw clutching too!). Nil-Nil would've been a fair score line.  Reading probably shaded it as the home team, but so gutted by their winner.

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

From our position behind the goal it was difficult to see if the pass was actually on to put him in.  It looked to me as if Kodjia would have had to hit a 10/10 pass to get it to him.  But difficult to tell.

Completely agree.  The people I sat near, mooned at virtually the whole team at some point today.  They are entitled to, but it smacks of having never played the game, or appreciate that not everything comes off....the opposition have a say in what happens!

@REDOXO agree with much of what you said about the match.  We certainly weren't the better team, they flashed balls across our box more often than us.  We may not have had shots on target (as per Opta rules), but they got some crucial blocks in.  Would like to see Bobby's shot that got blocked....looked like handball (and straw clutching too!). Nil-Nil would've been a fair score line.  Reading probably shaded it as the home team, but so gutted by their winner.

Commentators were critical initially, but later said similar.

13 hours ago, petehinton said:

Must've been at a different game to me fella. On another day Vydra would've had 4 himself. 

Small point but he didn't did he. Is that down to luck alone or did some of our players actually do a good defensive job on him? Credit where it is due perhaps.

It is encouraging the players are playing their hearts out for the manager and the team... One real positive we must not overlook and if, and a big if we all know it is, if we strengthen and hit the ground running this month sticking will have been worthwhile; changing manager might haemorage that.  

3 hours ago, havanatopia said:

Small point but he didn't did he. Is that down to luck alone or did some of our players actually do a good defensive job on him? Credit where it is due perhaps.

Considering he was left totally unmarked, missed when clean through and then fired straight at Frankie, I'm going to say... no.

10 hours ago, Davefevs said:

13 hours ago, samo II said:

No it was a dead simple pass. Smith's to Kodjia later on was hard. JK had a straight ball to play with Smith in miles of space.

I found McDermott's post-match comments Interesting. 

He said it was a "coin toss game" that could have gone either way, but he felt he could "win it from the bench".

We will never know if we could have "won it from the bench" with timely substitutions  but what is clear is Cotterill doesn't ever think so.

Archived