IGNORED

Let's sack the manager!!

BCFC Jordan

It's clearly the best solution! Let's sack Cotterill and replace him with a new manager, and then we can let the cycle repeat iself again next year, as is always the case. It's clearly the manager at fault, not the board, after all. Let's ignore the fact that the board failed to back our most successful manager in years over the summer. Let's ignore the fact that had we acquired the targets Cotterill had desired, we'd be absolutely fine. We've dominated many a game with the poor resources available to SC, a squad so small that any manager would be performing miracles to get any more out of them. We are relying on one player to score all of our goals, we've dominated many a game this year but all the opposition have to do is make sure Kodjia doesn't get space on his right foot. The board must make amends for their disastrous summer and back SC, the man that got us 99 points and two trophies last year, when given the appropriate resources. I mean, fair enough, if the players weren't still playing for him, but they clearly are and had we had more attacking options today, we'd have most probably won. But it's a one man show up there.

Let's not repeat the cycle of blaming a manager for the board's mistakes.

Cotterill's no saint, his poorly timed subs, insistence on playing Wilbraham when he clearly shouldn't be on the pitch due to tiredness, lack of gametime for Reid when Freeman has been out of form most of the season and decision to let JET leave are all mistakes, in my opinion. But he has proven he can be successful and sacking a manager just for the sake of it, as is the modern way, won't get us anywhere. All managers have their shortcomings but SC has also showed us what he's capable of. It'd be the ultimate irony if it's the board that have the front to sack Cotterill after letting him down so badly in the summer.

4 minutes ago, BCFC Jordan said:

It's clearly the best solution! Let's sack Cotterill and replace him with a new manager, and then we can let the cycle repeat iself again next year, as is always the case. It's clearly the manager at fault, not the board, after all. Let's ignore the fact that the board failed to back our most successful manager in years over the summer. Let's ignore the fact that had we acquired the targets Cotterill had desired, we'd be absolutely fine. We've dominated many a game with the poor resources available to SC, a squad so small that any manager would be performing miracles to get any more out of them. We are relying on one player to score all of our goals, we've dominated many a game this year but all the opposition have to do is make sure Kodjia doesn't get space on his right foot. The board must make amends for their disastrous summer and back SC, the man that got us 99 points and two trophies last year, when given the appropriate resources. I mean, fair enough, if the players weren't still playing for him, but they clearly are and had we had more attacking options today, we'd have most probably one. But it's a one man show up there.

Cotterill's no saint, his poorly timed subs, insistence on playing Wilbraham when he clearly shouldn't be on the pitch due to tiredness, lack of gametime for Reid when Freeman has been out of form most of the season and decision to let JET leave are all mistakes, in my opinion. But he has proven he can be successful and sacking a manager just for the sake of it, as is the modern way, won't get us anywhere. All managers have their shortcomings but SC has also showed us what he's capable of. It'd be the ultimate irony if it's the board that have the front to sack Cotterill after letting him down so badly in the summer.

Good post and IMO very sensible. 

I agree however, there are a few problems.

- Cotts has just stated we have no one lined up, and doesn't think anyone will be in by next saturday

- No one is going to want to come to us that's worth their salt

- it's only rumour and speculation that the board didn't back him. In the same way there are rumours that suggest players didn't join us because they don't like Cotts, either could be true.

i agree that it doesn't look like the players have stopped playing - the dreaded "lost the dressing room" scenario. I've seen enough shit years and managers sacked to know a performance when the players just don't care and that is not what I seen today. Quite the opposite actually, it simply seemed a case of players trying their best and just not good enough for this level.

Yes they let him down in the summer, but as someone else alluded to, they mucked up on the signing of 3 players. Why didn't we bring in more players to fill out the squad? With those 3 we might have been higher up the table but we would still have a threadbare squad and Cotts would still not bring on any subs

You can't blame people for their impatience. I don't think it's because anyone dislikes him. He gave us a great year and a half. The problem most have is his stubbornness to continue with the same old tactics and lineups etc. It would be one thing if we were say in Preston's spot with 30 odd points and 15th. Then you could say it isn't tactics it is talent. Ours seems like both and Cotterhill won't set us up for draws and pinching the odd 1-0. That's the frustration. That if we keep on like this you can write our relegation ticket today. At least with a change there would be optimism for a bit. Whether it worked or not would be a gamble but I have no belief Cotterhill can keep us up. He hasn't proven he can say my mistake and change. The players need help. They aren't good enough. Setting himself up with some nice excuses for when we are officially relegated. ATM there are 5 at the bottom of the table. Others are pulling away a bit. Not looking very good

Who says the board hasn't backed him?

The owner backed ridiculous bids for Gray and Gayle. They have since backed loan signings that Cotts refused to play. 

For all their failings and short comings....I don't see how the board have not backed him. To me it looked like he aimed for players who were miles out of our league...And didn't have a plan B when they didn't come off....

...Much like his team selection and tactics. No plan B

what a legend he is

subs in the 93rd min

ranting after every match we were the better side ie DELUSIONAL

2 wins in 14, one win on 10 now

brings in a bunch of loanees half never play

persists with awful performers and makes no use of the bench

never made a single tactical change that altered a match

out of his depth and in the wrong league

I'm a big fan of SC, but I don't think there could be many complaints if he got the bullet - even though if it was my decision I would not pull the trigger. 

There's been enough bad results in important games. There's Charlton in recent history, the capitulation second half v MK Dons and the no show at Rotherham. That's twice we've let relegation rivals come away from our ground with a point, whilst turning up to another's and leaving with nothing.

He said last season he deliberately had a small squad and he knew and accepted the risk he was taking. Even if those few transfers got over the line if TM was accurate, he was still taking that risk again. Maybe he ought die by his sword particularly as he's not used the loan market well. 

I'd give him the window, but I don't think it unreasonable if the other course of action was taken. 

There is no doubt in my mind that a manager such as Pearson, Warnock or Moyes could get more out of this group of players.

Getting a manager of their caliber in however, is a completely different matter.

January is huge for this club - if we fail to add at least 5 permanent players then I think we will drift towards relegation by April.

SC is out of his depth in this league. Stick with him and we are down. His transfer policy was a total farce, trying to get players such as Gayle to join us was pie in the sky and a waste of time. In the end, we have been left with a poor squad at this level and a manager who doesn't seem capable of managing them. Get SC out and replace with someone with a bit of know-how at this level. Who is SC going to try to sign this month? Messi? 

20 minutes ago, Andy082005 said:

Who says the board hasn't backed him?

The owner backed ridiculous bids for Gray and Gayle. They have since backed loan signings that Cotts refused to play. 

For all their failings and short comings....I don't see how the board have not backed him. To me it looked like he aimed for players who were miles out of our league...And didn't have a plan B when they didn't come off....

...Much like his team selection and tactics. No plan B

All this crap I hear about SL not backing Cotts or providing the wages etc really annoys me. 

Over the years SL has always backed his managers so imo the summer transfer shambles was more to do with Cotts rather than with the board.

My issue is that I honestly can't see anything changing if he stays? I like Cotts but his stubbornness will sadly cost him and us if we allow this to continue..?

The good news is that it isn't too late as we remain in contention to stay up, personally though, I feel it's wrong to say the cycle always continues like that whereby we get somebody in and then sack them, we need a manager who can cope with what's needed in this new, challenging league, and as much as it hurts, I feel there are betters managers available, right now...

38 minutes ago, BCFC Jordan said:

It's clearly the best solution! Let's sack Cotterill and replace him with a new manager, and then we can let the cycle repeat iself again next year, as is always the case. It's clearly the manager at fault, not the board, after all. Let's ignore the fact that the board failed to back our most successful manager in years over the summer. Let's ignore the fact that had we acquired the targets Cotterill had desired, we'd be absolutely fine. We've dominated many a game with the poor resources available to SC, a squad so small that any manager would be performing miracles to get any more out of them. We are relying on one player to score all of our goals, we've dominated many a game this year but all the opposition have to do is make sure Kodjia doesn't get space on his right foot. The board must make amends for their disastrous summer and back SC, the man that got us 99 points and two trophies last year, when given the appropriate resources. I mean, fair enough, if the players weren't still playing for him, but they clearly are and had we had more attacking options today, we'd have most probably won. But it's a one man show up there.

Not bad,and not a mention of jet

32 minutes ago, MarcusX said:

I agree however, there are a few problems.

- Cotts has just stated we have no one lined up, and doesn't think anyone will be in by next saturday

- No one is going to want to come to us that's worth their salt

- it's only rumour and speculation that the board didn't back him. In the same way there are rumours that suggest players didn't join us because they don't like Cotts, either could be true.

i agree that it doesn't look like the players have stopped playing - the dreaded "lost the dressing room" scenario. I've seen enough shit years and managers sacked to know a performance when the players just don't care and that is not what I seen today. Quite the opposite actually, it simply seemed a case of players trying their best and just not good enough for this level.

so Cotts hasn't lined anyone up yet? That in its own sense is a sackable offence... Another waste of a ******* day for me today.. Wet and miserable and no end in sight...

It's so lazy and obvious to jump on the 'board didn't back him in the summer' bandwagon.

Yes they did, they went after players who are much too good for us with multi million pound bids because Cotts wanted them. And Mr Lansdown has publicly stated that the wages for those players were not a problem. However he has since been called a liar on here by a few who obviously know more about those deals than the rest of us, which I doubt.

This is not the board's fault. When Charlton scored their late equaliser, some clown in front of me in the South Stand jumped up and yelled towards Lansdown: "This is all your fault, get your wallet out you ****" - what a charming and ill informed young man...

41 minutes ago, BCFC Jordan said:

In that case you truly believe that Cotterill is the right man to take the club backwards.

7 minutes ago, Just Red said:

All this crap I hear about SL not backing Cotts or providing the wages etc really annoys me. 

Over the years SL has always backed his managers so imo the summer transfer shambles was more to do with Cotts rather than with the board.

Coppell - rumoured to have left because of transfer interference.

Millen - wanted Billy Jones/McAuley to improve defence. The summer of the season he was sacked, only spent a fee on Bolasie (50k).

McInnes - Monk, Cisse/Bikey. All would have improved our woeful defence.

SoD - Given an extremely limited budget. We could barely afford to pay the compensation for Pack at the time. The deal took a long time to conclude.

47 minutes ago, BCFC Jordan said:

Seriously let the jet thing go! You bring it up in every post you make we all know his qualities and weaknesses and yes in hindsight we should have kept him but just let it go dude!

We have never , ever, been relegated from the second tier when we have stuck by the manager. The last time we changed the manager during the January window didn't improve things . Every time we have been relegated we changed the manager - Doherty , Houghton, Hodgson, Osman, Ward, McInness . When we stuck with Dicks or even Millen in 2011  we have stayed up. Do we really think we can't get one point more than Rotherham over 22 games .

1 minute ago, Aberdeen Pete's Dad said:

We have never , ever, been relegated from the second tier when we have stuck by the manager. The last time we changed the manager during the January window didn't improve things . Every time we have been relegated we changed the manager - Doherty , Houghton, Hodgson, Osman, Ward, McInness . When we stuck with Dicks or even Millen in 2011  we have stayed up. Do we really think we can't get one point more than Rotherham over 22 games .

I hope the board don't actually use that statistic in their decision making. 

3 minutes ago, I am the mole said:

Seriously let the jet thing go! You bring it up in every post you make we all know his qualities and weaknesses and yes in hindsight we should have kept him but just let it go dude!

Just balancing out my post a bit. Feel free not to read them, as I do mention it frequently - it's my opinion and I'll quite often refer to one of the most disastrous decisions the club has made in my time supporting. If we'd have done something in the summer I would not mention it and accept the thinking behind it. Instead we lose most weeks so it gets brought up a lot.

37 minutes ago, OddBallJim said:

There is no doubt in my mind that a manager such as Pearson, Warnock or Moyes could get more out of this group of players.

Getting a manager of their caliber in however, is a completely different matter.

January is huge for this club - if we fail to add at least 5 permanent players then I think we will drift towards relegation by April.

Warnock would be a mistake, he may keep us up, but there is no long term plan with warnock and we would be worse off afterwards

Archived