IGNORED

Kodjia

Warmley_Reds

Simply think that he's hit "the wall", he's started every game but one in a league that is far more physical and relentless than he is used to.

Add to that as Samo says, he's pretty much all of our goal threat on his own and plays in a side where as he is the only non English speaker (with no obvious signs he is making progress there) there are going to be language issues, too and so at present it is pretty tough for him all round.

If Agard is fit enough by Saturday I'd give him and Wes the 90 minutes together, if we had anyone else I'd actually give Kodjia the week off, but as we have a squad of about 15 he'll have to be on the bench at West Brom no matter what.

From here 16 goals for the season would be some effort from him, those who ridiculously predicted he'd get 25 or so really have no idea how hard scoring consistently at this level is.

53 minutes ago, Robin1988 said:

He beat his man three times, Wilbraham was ready the first time and Kodjia gained nothing from going past him again... Why not just slot it across?

Smith's pass was much harder as he had two men covering but could've still slotted it through the gap, and it was poor from Smith who didn't have a great game. That doesn't excuse JK either though.

Why can we not include him in criticism just because he's been one of our best players this year? He's not perfect and not immune from criticism.

I have criticised Kodjia on numerous occasions largely down to his finishing. But I think people are being harsh in relation to yesterday...

he is a very selfish striker which is no bad thing, but I think we are going to need to get used to it.

16 minutes ago, Shtanley said:

Without the bloke I think we'd be rock bottom. I attribute the enormous number of offsides partly down to nobody being on his wavelength. Reid so far is the only one seeing these runs. 

Kodjia has 9 goals; the team has 22.  He scored in both our last two wins, with his goal against Wolves being the only one of the game.

He also has at least one assist, so is responsible for close to half our goals this year.  So, sure; let's drop him - I'm sure the rest of the squad will make up for the difference.

I actually agree with @GrahamC- give him the WBA game off, or on the bench; I don't believe we can win that game, and the match against PNE the following Tuesday is far more important.

But nice to see the knives come out for him after a few bad games over the Christmas period, where his team mates have so clearly excelled in context - very much feels like the chat from two years ago when JET's goals and assists in the first half of the season where dismissed as unimportant, when the points that they won us contributed as much to keeping us up as SC's arrival.

2 hours ago, djb6162 said:

sorry this is not goibg to go down well with the kodjia camp, but as i said elsewhere ... If that was wibbs agard or freeman , stead, taylor baldock davis, they would have had pelters.

I wonder why some may be more patient with Kodj over say Taylor... Oh yeah, Kodjia scores goals. 

Baldock did get pelters for the same reason as always being off side. It's a reflection of the game he shares with Kodjia - being on the shoulder. Some appreciate its down to timing of pass also, and that it creates a tough call for a linesman which typically they bottle. 

If Wilbs, Stead, Taylor etc are/were offside it is damn stupid because they are target men who are there to relieve pressure by holding up a ball and laying it off. They have no reason to be pushing the line. 

But Kodj, Agard, Freeman, even if it was your lad, I'd have far more patience! 

1 hour ago, samo II said:

Kodjia has 9 goals; the team has 22.  He scored in both our last two wins, with his goal against Wolves being the only one of the game.

He also has at least one assist, so is responsible for close to half our goals this year.  So, sure; let's drop him - I'm sure the rest of the squad will make up for the difference.

I actually agree with @GrahamC- give him the WBA game off, or on the bench; I don't believe we can win that game, and the match against PNE the following Tuesday is far more important.

But nice to see the knives come out for him after a few bad games over the Christmas period, where his team mates have so clearly excelled in context - very much feels like the chat from two years ago when JET's goals and assists in the first half of the season where dismissed as unimportant, when the points that they won us contributed as much to keeping us up as SC's arrival.

I hear what you say samo, and there is a danger of taking yesterday out of proportion, so thats a fair shout mate.

however to be clear, i dont have the "knives out" for him or any of our players come to that.

but i was furious yesterday, as were all those around me who were begging him to getvhis head up !!!

the OP asked for a discusion and it seemed to me he was over simplifying Jks problem.

its not the off sides that worry me as frustrating as they are, on side or not, he is playing for himself.

its his over elaboration and selfish approach which cost us yesterday and if we are all honest with each other, he was no better v Charlton or Burnley, so we should all stop pretending this a knee jerk.

4 minutes ago, djb6162 said:

I hear what you say samo, and there is a danger of taking yesterday out of proportion, so thats a fair shout mate.

however to be clear, i dont have the "knives out" for him or any of our players come to that.

but i was furious yesterday, as were all those around me who were begging him to getvhis head up !!!

the OP asked for a discusion and it seemed to me he was over simplifying Jks problem.

its not the off sides that worry me as frustrating as they are, on side or not, he is playing for himself.

its his over elaboration and selfish approach which cost us yesterday and if we are all honest with each other, he was no better v Charlton or Burnley, so we should all stop pretending this a knee jerk.

His selfish approach is something that the Angers fans commented on, but do you think it's partly down to the rest of the team not scoring as many as him? Most good strikers are greedy but I do think at times he's got his head down too often. 

Kodjia is definitely still a "work in progress" . He's still very naive in many respects e.g. all the offsides yesterday, and his lack of a left foot is almost shocking for a professional footballer in a striking role. You know he is always going to try and get back onto his right so anybody doing the slightest bit of home work will know that.

So our current preferred attack is based on two people that in an ideal world would be great to come on as subs for the last 20 mins!  Kodjia and Wilbs. Yes I know how we got to this position and why , but that is reality now in my opinion.   

1 hour ago, samo II said:

Generally they aren't knives, they're valid criticisms which don't overlook his contribution this season relative to the rest of the squad.

None of the above makes it wrong to be frustrated by some of what he did yesterday.

1 minute ago, djb6162 said:

I'd certainly not meant to imply you were being over critical, and won't stand up and say he's been any better than anyone else across the last three (though he was easily our most pro-active outlet the QPR game prior, and would have had a hat-trick but for Green in goal).

Maybe we need to mix it up, including resting him; worth noting he'll not have played over winter before, having played in France prior.

My point was more that as selfish as he might be, or as bad as he might be currently, I'd still trust him to get us a goal more than any other player on that pitch.

I'm certainly not pandering when I say that I'd actually be interested to see Kodjia and Wes being played together; the pace alone would put teams on their heels, and I'm simply not convinced Wilbs has the stamina to last a full game anymore.

22 minutes ago, Shtanley said:

@djb6162 I've been quite annoyed recently that I haven't been able to see Wes get more time on pitch. I think he'd be great alongside Kodjia for various reasons. Out of interest who do you think he'd be best playing with?

10 other players on a saturday afternoon from 3pm till around 4.50 would be good  for a change

Seriously,  thats a  great question..... People tend to overrlook that for Wales, Wes Plays the lone striker role, but they ask him to drift wide into the channels to create space for the midfield and to draw defenders.

he's got 6 in about 13 games from that i think, by hugging the touchline and not crowding the space.

his pace allows him to do that and to then make the dangerous runs, him and Bobby do that well in the u21s and to be fair Packy knows how to use Wes as well.

i like to see if by playing with Kodjia, they create much more space for one another and additionally allow Luke Freeman much more space to run into as well.

if he plays with Wibbs, it cant be after Wibbs has had 70/80 mins, it would need to be with fresh legs.

Wes scored all his goals for cheltenham from the RW position 6 in 11 games i think, so he can contribute from wide as well.

4 minutes ago, djb6162 said:

10 other players on a saturday afternoon from 3pm till around 4.50 would be good  for a change

Seriously,  thats a  great question..... People tend to overrlook that for Wales, Wes Plays the lone striker role, but they ask him to drift wide into the channels to create space for the midfield and to draw defenders.

he's got 6 in about 13 games from that i think, by hugging the touchline and not crowding the space.

his pace allows him to do that and to then make the dangerous runs, him and Bobby do that well in the u21s and to be fair Packy knows how to use Wes as well.

i like to see if by playing with Kodjia, they create much more space for one another and additionally allow Luke Freeman much more space to run into as well.

if he plays with Wibbs, it cant be after Wibbs has had 70/80 mins, it would need to be with fresh legs.

Wes scored all his goals for cheltenham from the RW position 6 in 11 games i think, so he can contribute from wide as well.

Yeah I think their styles would work well. At what point with all this lack of game time can/does Wes say something? Either for more chances or loan or God forbid a permenant. Does SC strike you as an approachable man?

1 hour ago, Shtanley said:

Yeah I think their styles would work well. At what point with all this lack of game time can/does Wes say something? Either for more chances or loan or God forbid a permenant. Does SC strike you as an approachable man?

Difficult for me to speak openly really.

what i can say is the moment for wes to be playing football has already come and gone.

nobody ......not even the gaffa is denying that.

2 hours ago, balderino said:

Kodjia is definitely still a "work in progress" . He's still very naive in many respects e.g. all the offsides yesterday, and his lack of a left foot is almost shocking for a professional footballer in a striking role. You know he is always going to try and get back onto his right so anybody doing the slightest bit of home work will know that. Agree with this, and if we were doing ok or even had options as good as Kodjia he'd have been rested I'm sure.

So our current preferred attack is based on two people that in an ideal world would be great to come on as subs for the last 20 mins!  Kodjia and Wilbs. Yes I know how we got to this position and why , but that is reality now in my opinion.  Now this I don't agree with. Wilbs as a sub would only be in desperate, route 1 style panic substitution. Kodjia would be a starter as he settled in unless he struggled. 

What I would really like to know is how SC's brain is working (if ?). When players tire , why not throw on Wes? I would like to see Kodjia with some pacey support. As for Saturday, it will be pretty much as you were. I'd like to see a 4-5-1 with JB,LF,EB bombing on from midfield to support Kodjia, but it wont happen. Maybe Reid will get a run and maybe Agard will start alongside Wilbs, can't be many changes as we have fewer players now than Saturday morning !  One thing is for sure , JK needs support and soon ! 

Archived